January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

All these tricky right sided midfield forward type players being put in the beauty parade for Saints does suggest there’s no smoke without fire. 

Im my view the “fire” is more likely to be active preparation by JW and others in case we get ridiculous must accept bids for certain of our players rather than massively progressive we gonna get one  more attacking player irrespective planning. Just my view though. 

Given all current candidates ( and I include Carvalho, Ben and Diallo) are unlikely to come sit on a bench or will have must play clauses from parent clubs of some sort it makes me wonder who they are replacing if they do get picked up and / or we do not sell anyone? 

Our best ( starting) tricky right sided forward types are : 

KWP: our best player. Surely not sold now. Please 🙏 not. 

AA: our captain in absence of JS and a revelation this season. Top scorer and assists in league. Integral to everything good we do. Surely not? 

SA: Having a good season. Still not 90 minutes fit but very effective both left right and centre. 

KS : He’s the prototype but he’s injured. Surely nobody would buy an injured player with all that promise ? 😉

Che :  is not really an exact fit but he also seems most likely to leave - and his replacement is crocked in any case. So he is obvs the fave to leave and the one to be replaced with this new player imo. 

Hard to put my finger on it but gut tells me we will be reactive not proactive here. IF Che goes then we will enter market for loan of one of these ( or other unnamed ), but if Che stays then I think it’s unlikely. 

• Like 1

Your post reminded me of the difficulties of manpower planning for football. It's not just "We'll need a new cost accountant in a year when Bert retires" and you get somebody new who just has a couple of months' notice to work..

• Like 1

Arsenal willing to let Reiss Nelson go on loan for the rest of the season.  HCDAJFU as a quick and lethal winger.  But he might get more interesting offers from EPL sides.  Certainly we could not afford more than a modest fraction of his £100+k per week wages.  He’s 24 apparently.

Edited by Tommy Mulgrew
Added ”week”.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Arsenal willing to let Reiss Nelson go on loan for the rest of the season.  HCDAJFU as a quick and lethal winger.  But he might get more interesting offers from EPL sides.  Certainly we could not afford more than a modest fraction of his £100+k per wages.  He’s 24 apparently.

Assuming he's fit, he can do a lot better than the Championship. 

10 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Arsenal willing to let Reiss Nelson go on loan for the rest of the season.  HCDAJFU as a quick and lethal winger.  But he might get more interesting offers from EPL sides.  Certainly we could not afford more than a modest fraction of his £100+k per week wages.  He’s 24 apparently.

I see no reason why we couldn’t sort out a deal for him. Not even saying we are after him. I would have thought we have a couple of players lined up.As per that quote from Wilcox Mowbray will be busy this Christmas 

50 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Burnley told us to f**k off

Because we didn't just give them an asset we eventually got £20m for. 

Had the tight Yank twats put their hand in their pockets - or to be more specific, the pocket of those they're borrowing money from - they'd have had him. 

Genuinely one of the lucky escapes that bunch of cowboys not buying us. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Seen us looked to david Brooks. Would like us to be all over that if possible!

I'm a fan, but he's not played a lot this season, but he has been in every match day squad and come off the bench in the last three games. Seems strange that Bournemouth are happy to loan him out.

Edited by Chez

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm a fan, but he's not played a lot this season, but he has been in every match day squad and come off the bench in the last three games. Seems strange that Bournemouth are happy to loan him out.

I'd imagine he's pushing to get more game time after his illness and injuries. A few minutes off the bench here and there isn't really going to help him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'd imagine he's pushing to get more game time after his illness and injuries. A few minutes off the bench here and there isn't really going to help him.

In general, Prem players don't really push for loans to the Championship clubs.  Besides, what he wants and what Bournemouth need are two different things.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

A few links today to European sides being interested in Bednarek. I wonder if his agent is putting his name out there? 

18 months left of his contract. No doubt his agent has asked about a new deal, so perfect time for there to be 'interest' from other parties.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You know you're dealing with an authentic sauce when the 'E' is a '3' and there's a random stock photo of a football pitch as an avatar.

Also "transfer talk from across Europe" and then 99% of his tweets are about saints. 

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You know you're dealing with an authentic sauce when the 'E' is a '3' and there's a random stock photo of a football pitch as an avatar.

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Also "transfer talk from across Europe" and then 99% of his tweets are about saints. 

It's the 237 followers that seals it for me

Theres some amount of idiots on social media these days pretending or claiming to be the next Fabrizio Romano with their insider scoops. Bizarre behaviour for a few extra 'likes'. In fact, Sky Sports employ some of them with those jokers Dharmesh and Kaveh and their 'well placed sources'.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Are we actually getting anyone in?

Any real news or rumours ?

Circle of Turnips do you have any insider knowledge... 

Plently of activity in the CoT group chat. The club are working hard and Mowbray is clocking up the airmiles. All that can be revealed in the public domain for now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Plently of activity in the CoT group chat. The club are working hard and Mowbray is clocking up the airmiles. All that can be revealed in the public domain for now. 

Am I losing it ? I’m starting to believe the COT, that comment makes sense or of course they are taunting us ? Dunno Turkish has been on this board for ages. 
May surprise some but we were often on the same side back in the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, manji said:

Am I losing it ? I’m starting to believe the COT, that comment makes sense or of course they are taunting us ? Dunno Turkish has been on this board for ages. 

Don't get sucked in by all the bullshiting ITK wannabees mate, they are full of it

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Don't get sucked in by all the bullshiting ITK wannabees mate, they are full of it

Its an amusing game. No doubt they have a hotline to the Kremlin. Coming out with quotes from the bible etc.

Its like Nostradamus and his quatrains, you can read into them whatever you like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, manji said:

Yes, clearly losing it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

believe what you want to believe, Always. Just try to not let your jelousy and bitterness ruin it for others 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

To sit on the bench like Bree?  There’s no way RM will displace Manning at LB unless he’s injured. No way.

Am I being harsh in thinking this is THE glaring hole in our team? Every opponent targets the space he leaves. He gives the ball away in dangerous areas regularly. He can’t defend. For me Manning is a LWB that suits 5atb but we are playing him at LB and he looks out of his depth.

To be fair to him he looks decent going forward, good cross on him and the natural left foot is good for balance going forward.

If we were to sign just 1 starter, this is what I would choose (assuming nobody leaves).

• Like 4

Southampton reportedly 'eyeing move' for on-loan Plymouth Argyle star

SAINTS and Championship rivals Middlesbrough are reportedly eyeing a January move for on-loan Plymouth Argyle star Finn Azaz.

Latest reports on the rumour mill suggest that Saints are considering making a move for a player who is currently out on loan from Villa Park, TV footage of him at St Mary's have already appeared.

Many Southampton supporters have already seen the man who could be joining the club in January at St Mary's because according to therealefl.co.uk Finn Azaz, currently on loan at Plymouth Argyle could be joining Saints.

They report that Saints are considering an offer for Azaz and if they do then Villa are prepared to recall him from his loan spell at Plymouth and sell him on a permanent basis to Southampton or for that matter any other club who makes an offer they deem acceptable.

36558.jpg

His current valuation is said to be about £1.5 million, which seems a bit low for a player who from the centre of the Argyle midfield has notched 7 goals and 5 assists in the Championship.

Edited by BERMUDASAINT

I heard something, but don't know exactly what to make of it.  (Maybe old news).

KWP and Stu did not have relegation clauses in their contracts, so are still on their prem wages, and therefore are considered too expensive to keep. I don't know if this relates to this transfer window or in the event of not making promotion,  but the club would like to offload both.