January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

15 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We supposedly offered £30m+ for Gakpo, so a statement signing isn't totally out of the question. But I'd agree it's highly unlikely

That was before we were relegated when £30m is a fairly standard fee. I think this would Be double the biggest ever transfer fee in the championship. It ain’t happening 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

That was before we were relegated when £30m is a fairly standard fee. I think this would Be double the biggest ever transfer fee in the championship. It ain’t happening 

The ony way this is remotely correct is based on us loaning him with a OTB IF we get promoted. The fact some fans we are spending 30Million Euros in the championship is Ludacrus. 

I’d be extremely surprised to see Saints sign a £30m player in any window. However, the market must still be nuts given we spent £12m on a crocked striker who it seems is unlikely to feature this season in any sustained fashion. I reckon Che goes for £15m and if there’s business to be done then that’ll be the limit of our spending…probably nearer £10m actually.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’d be extremely surprised to see Saints sign a £30m player in any window. However, the market must still be nuts given we spent £12m on a crocked striker who it seems is unlikely to feature this season in any sustained fashion. I reckon Che goes for £15m and if there’s business to be done then that’ll be the limit of our spending…probably nearer £10m actually.

There's no way we are getting 15m for Adams when he only has six months on his contract 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

For 15m I would transport him there in a wheelbarrow  myself. 

Edited by stknowle
  • Haha 1

We’re not going to get £15m for Che when his contract is up in the summer. We’d be lucky to get a third of that and he may well be happy to wait until the summer to leave on a free and assess his options. 

We are also not going to be spending £30m, or anything near it, on one player. We’re in the Championship. Firstly, that amount of money is way too much for us, secondly why would a player worth that much choose to come to us and not the prem teams who are interested in him?

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

We’re not going to get £15m for Che when his contract is up in the summer. We’d be lucky to get a third of that and he may well be happy to wait until the summer to leave on a free and assess his options. 

We are also not going to be spending £30m, or anything near it, on one player. We’re in the Championship. Firstly, that amount of money is way too much for us, secondly why would a player worth that much choose to come to us and not the prem teams who are interested in him?

this sort of logic is not welcome on here sir.

• Haha 1

Just now, HarvSFC said:

Record Championship signing is £15m, Ruben Neves, who was the Porto first team captain, a Champions League player and Portugal international and had Jorge Mendes puppeteering. 

Dont underestimate the power of Ankersen pulling the strings, remember he personally took control of the Gakpo deal and our January transfer window this year. Plus he's done a TED talk and everything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

If we really had the ambition the leadership of this club claims we have, we'd be buying three or four £30m players in January, not just one.

Pah, Dell sized!

Better to spend all of that on one £90m player. Proper statement of intent.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, benjii said:

Pah, Dell sized!

Better to spend all of that on one £90m player. Proper statement of intent.

Talksport exclusively reveal Saints have blasted open their transfer record on the keepie-uppie world record holder. Manager Russell Martin, speaking exclusively to Talksport said, "£90 million may seem like a lot, but his posession stats are 100%. He never gives the ball away, and is the missing piece of our spreadsheet."

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

21 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Talksport exclusively reveal Saints have blasted open their transfer record on the keepie-uppie world record holder. Manager Russell Martin, speaking exclusively to Talksport said, "£90 million may seem like a lot, but his posession stats are 100%. He never gives the ball away, and is the missing piece of our spreadsheet."

I cant say too much at this stage but this young lady ticks a lot of boxes

Freestyle football champion so great on the ball 

Female so diversity 

Young hungry and guarenteed to improve 

2 hours ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Totally agree. I still think the Che funds (probably £3-5m or a loan fee) could be used to sign a loan replacement such as Ings.  If it were linked to appearances/promotion it would be a relatively low risk and provide further striker cover as Stewart's injuries and his time to get up to speed are likely to limit his contribution.  I acknowledge that having two forwards (Stewart and Ings) who have an injury background is a risk, but I'd take the risk for a proven goal-scorer (Ings or other).

• Like 1

Have to be honest, if I were Che then I'd be starting to get worried.  Can't get a starting place in a championship team and when he does, he doesn't do very well and rarely scores.  Chances are if a prem team comes in for him then it's one that stands a pretty good chance of being relegated and he almost certainly won't be going as a starter.  If I were Saints then I'd have withdrawn the new contract offer as well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I cant say too much at this stage but this young lady ticks a lot of boxes

Freestyle football champion so great on the ball 

Female so diversity 

Young hungry and guarenteed to improve 

That's Jimmy Bullard isn't it?

15 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Have to be honest, if I were Che then I'd be starting to get worried.  Can't get a starting place in a championship team and when he does, he doesn't do very well and rarely scores.  Chances are if a prem team comes in for him then it's one that stands a pretty good chance of being relegated and he almost certainly won't be going as a starter.  If I were Saints then I'd have withdrawn the new contract offer as well.

Makes sense for Che to stay till the summer now. He'll get a good contract somewhere as a free agent. Whether the club will let him is another matter

5 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Miovski MOTM with a double last night for the Dons. #miovskiwatch

Miovski is probably the stand out obvious one to be linked with (especially given Darren Mowbray’s connection). But Saints don’t ‘do’ the clear and obvious to assist us immediately, we’d rather try and be clever with a more obscure purchase. Or a Man City trainee who might be okay in three seasons time.

3 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Melton has been watching him and Duk regularly since September, hope we go for Miovski. 

Melton - good one ! 

2 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Mr Woo. ?? 

IF we do bring in a loan player I’d hope we use the old “ reduced section” at the supermarket technique. 

It’s no good getting a Sainsbury’s own brand cottage pie reduced from £6 down to £3 - it’s still a Sainsbury’s own brand cottage pie. 

On the other hand if it’s a fine piece of well aged Fillet steak reduced from £10 down to £5 then it’s worth a punt. 

ie I’d rather we loaned a top top player proven class, bizarrely out of favour at his club desperately needs to play speaks English, intelligent, technically excellent , great passer, fit, scores goals and flexible positionally but just needs games ……..than take a chance on buying another possible striker and them not being all that. 

They don’t need to be a #9 but they must have a goalscoring pedigree. They don’t need be Usain Bolt but they must be comfortable in possession and quick thinking. Lastly they cannot be a primma Donna. They must be humble and prepared to sacrifice for the team. If they come from the EPl it’s doubly important they show humility - but also why they are an EPL player. If they can teach something to teammates even better. 

There you go, I’ve written the blueprint. Just need hope his club can pay most or all his wages because we for sure cannot and would not afford them. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

IF we do bring in a loan player I’d hope we use the old “ reduced section” at the supermarket technique. 

It’s no good getting a Sainsbury’s own brand cottage pie reduced from £6 down to £3 - it’s still a Sainsbury’s own brand cottage pie. 

On the other hand if it’s a fine piece of well aged Fillet steak reduced from £10 down to £5 then it’s worth a punt. 

ie I’d rather we loaned a top top player proven class, bizarrely out of favour at his club desperately needs to play speaks English, intelligent, technically excellent , great passer, fit, scores goals and flexible positionally but just needs games ……..than take a chance on buying another possible striker and them not being all that. 

They don’t need to be a #9 but they must have a goalscoring pedigree. They don’t need be Usain Bolt but they must be comfortable in possession and quick thinking. Lastly they cannot be a primma Donna. They must be humble and prepared to sacrifice for the team. If they come from the EPl it’s doubly important they show humility - but also why they are an EPL player. If they can teach something to teammates even better. 

There you go, I’ve written the blueprint. Just need hope his club can pay most or all his wages because we for sure cannot and would not afford them. 

Great idea, why dont all clubs think of doing that?

• Haha 1

31st January - "We have decided to give Adams another chance rather than sign a new striker. Also we have accepted a £30 million bid from West Ham for KWP and we are delighted to welcome home Cedric Soares as his replacement from Arsenal." 😁

All joking aside I think our excellent use of the loan window in the summer bodes us well this season and I reckon we'll see at least one loanee to bolster the squad in January.

#notcot #notitk #justguessing 

4 hours ago, gio1saints said:

YEP

I’ve been one of the biggest che adams haters in the last few years .. but even by my standards I think the forum is going a little too far now in how useless he is ..

i don’t really like to count sub appearances as proper starts when using stats che has started 9 times che has scored 4 which isn’t all that bad for someone who’s finishing is pretty crap .. 

as usual the he isn’t starting so must be completely shit brigade are going over the top though.. Martin has him as more of a squad option this season and probably rightly so but I think it’s getting slightly exaggerated now that he’s been totally totally shocking 4 goals in 9 starts isn’t as bad as people are making out .. as I said I’m not a fan 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I’ve been one of the biggest che adams haters in the last few years .. but even by my standards I think the forum is going a little too far now in how useless he is ..

i don’t really like to count sub appearances as proper starts when using stats che has started 9 times che has scored 4 which isn’t all that bad for someone who’s finishing is pretty crap .. 

as usual the he isn’t starting so must be completely shit brigade are going over the top though.. Martin has him as more of a squad option this season and probably rightly so but I think it’s getting slightly exaggerated now that he’s been totally totally shocking 4 goals in 9 starts isn’t as bad as people are making out .. as I said I’m not a fan 

I don't think those stats paint a full picture though. 3 of those goals came before the transfer window closed, when his overall form and ability to impact a game spectacularly fell off a cliff. In the few starts he's had since then, he's been absolutely shocking and has rightfully been subbed off each time.

You might argue that there could have been a fitness issue that contributed to this, but exactly the same thing happened last season too. He made a decent contribution for the first handful of games then went missing. 

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't think those stats paint a full picture though. 3 of those goals came before the transfer window closed, when his overall form and ability to impact a game spectacularly fell off a cliff. In the few starts he's had since then, he's been absolutely shocking and has rightfully been subbed off each time.

You might argue that there could have been a fitness issue that contributed to this, but exactly the same thing happened last season too. He made a decent contribution for the first handful of games then went missing. 

This isn't an attitude thing fwiw. I know a few people seem to think the transfer window closing meant he didn't try anymore. He's simply just that type of player and always will be, whatever league he's in, he's inconsistent.

• Like 3

Does anyone know what kind of striker thrives in a RM team ? I know Piroe did but didn’t RM suggest he’s more a support striker and he was happy with Armstrong doing that ?. I genuinely don’t know what style of striker would thrive as our one up top - I don’t know enough about Stewart to know what type of player he is. My instinct is that a highly mobile striker with close control and link up play is probably more suitable than a classic finisher but interested in others opinions. 

8 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

This isn't an attitude thing fwiw. I know a few people seem to think the transfer window closing meant he didn't try anymore. He's simply just that type of player and always will be, whatever league he's in, he's inconsistent.

Who just, by chance and definitely not by coincidence, has his good patches in January and August every year and sometimes for a week or two in May.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Adams probably wants a "fresh start" somewhere but I don't see him as a "down tools", or shop window type.    He's always looked at his best when supporting a main striker with his strength and hold up play - Danny Ings being the obvious example.   Has scored impressive goals in the Prem - two against Man City come readily to mind, but as you suggest, long goal droughts have inevitably followed.    Given the system Martin employs and the lack of a main striker at the Club since Ings, Adams was always going to struggle for goals and consistency, though in a different set up at Championship or even lower Prem level he still has something to offer.

19 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Adams probably wants a "fresh start" somewhere but I don't see him as a "down tools", or shop window type.    He's always looked at his best when supporting a main striker with his strength and hold up play - Danny Ings being the obvious example.   Has scored impressive goals in the Prem - two against Man City come readily to mind, but as you suggest, long goal droughts have inevitably followed.    Given the system Martin employs and the lack of a main striker at the Club since Ings, Adams was always going to struggle for goals and consistency, though in a different set up at Championship or even lower Prem level he still has something to offer.

So if we get Ings back on loan in Jan then he should start cooking again, yeah?

17 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

So if we get Ings back on loan in Jan then he should start cooking again, yeah?

If you're asking me whether Adams is a better player supporting a main striker, like Ings - then yes, he would be.    I don't think Ings is likely to return in January though, do you?     It's also fairly clear that a move away is something that both Adams and the Club are in favour of.    Probably won't happen until the summer though.    Where we disagree is you think Che lifts his game during transfer windows and I think he's just an in-and-out player who is ineffective as a stand-alone striker.

5 minutes ago, austsaint said:

If you're asking me whether Adams is a better player supporting a main striker, like Ings - then yes, he would be.    I don't think Ings is likely to return in January though, do you?     It's also fairly clear that a move away is something that both Adams and the Club are in favour of.    Probably won't happen until the summer though.    Where we disagree is you think Che lifts his game during transfer windows and I think he's just an in-and-out player who is ineffective as a stand-alone striker.

we have all this bollocks all the time. People think players should be at the same level every game for the entire length of their careers from when they make their debut to when they retire. One of my favourite one was the accusations that Graziano Pelle used to hibernate during the winter only showing up to flounce around waving his hands around. 

• Like 1

I genuinely believe Che is not suited to our style. Unsure many Championship strikers playing centrally would be. We have been largely slow in getting into the attacking 3rd, with a fully loaded penalty box to deal with. Ings may do well, that is because his movement and finishing has been above championship level. Ironically, Adams is probably more suited to West Ham than Ings, currently.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, austsaint said:

All fair points. I agree he is overall a very inconsistent player, and I don't believe he makes a conscious choice to lift his game during the window before deciding to down tools afterwards. But he's obviously wanted out for a while (as shown by him refusing the contract extension) and it does seem odd that his purple patches seem to coincide with the window being open.

Alex makes a fair point that his game isn't suited to our current style, so if he's really that inflexible and can't adapt to Russ's tactics then it's best for both parties if we can move him on so he can get a fresh start somewhere else and we can replace him with someone who can. I'd rather we try and do that in January than let him run his contract down and spend the second half of the season going through the motions for a pay cheque and wasting a space in the squad that could be filled by someone who a) is more suited to our setup and b) actually wants to be here.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I genuinely believe Che is not suited to our style. Unsure many Championship strikers playing centrally would be. We have been largely slow in getting into the attacking 3rd, with a fully loaded penalty box to deal with. Ings may do well, that is because his movement and finishing has been above championship level. Ironically, Adams is probably more suited to West Ham than Ings, currently.

I think he was lucky to play under Ralph who favoured two strikers. He's best as a second striker and there's not many teams that do that

I'm always surprised that Adams and A. Armstrong have never clicked up top, albeit they haven't had a prolonged run up top together, but when they do play it just doesn't seem to work, like it did with Ings. On paper, you have Armstrong, a runner off the ball and a goal poacher and then Adams, whose strengths are holding the ball up and bringing others into play. Should work, but that's what has been missing from Adams' game this season, really. In the Premier League he was slightly underrated in his passing ability, but we haven't really seen it this season, possibly because he's playing the lone forward in these tactics, I don't know. Either way, I think his time at the club is nearing it's end, shame he never got that league title.

16 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If Adams goes it’ll be for cut price, and Birmingham will still be due a sizeable percentage of any fee.

He makes up a squad place most of the time, nothing more. 

Birmingham get % profit of above what we paid for him (so they wouldn’t get anything)