January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If Adams goes (last chance to get some cash) then we need another forward.

Otherwise aside from maybe LB cover I don't see much happening unless we have an injury crisis.

Again, keeping KWP will be huge.

Agree with this. A replacement for Che and a left back are certainly required. I wonder if the club will go back in for Patrick Roberts. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If Adams goes (last chance to get some cash) then we need another forward.

Otherwise aside from maybe LB cover I don't see much happening unless we have an injury crisis.

Again, keeping KWP will be huge.

Agree, KWP is class and it would be great to keep him.

Much prefer him at Right Back but can see him being moved to LB to cover for Mannings suspension>

Question is will Holgate or Bree fit in at RB?

There is a suggestion that Taylor-Bellis may be rested for the Preston game with Holgate or Charles as the replacement which may well unsettle the back four.

Hopefully Ross Stewart will be available soon thereby allowing the disappointing Che Adams to leave in January for a reduced fee,

Perhaps use any available cash to bring in a decent left back as Ryan Manning has been disappointing and Larios seems forever injured.

Shame Peraud was allowed to leave.

• Like 1

Given that Martin said we were going to replace Tella after Fraser had already joined and we missed out on Roberts and Paintsil at the end, possibly a wide man incoming? Roberts will be in the final six months of his contract in January. Although, Jack Clarke’s the wide player I’d go for at Sunderland, would cost a fair bit more though.

I was desperate for us to keep Adams in the summer, but he has been hopeless since the window ended. I’d say sell him, but I doubt anyone’s going to offer much for him in January given his recent performances. The only concrete links in the summer were Everton haggling over pennies and a Wolves loan deal. 

15 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Bet you adams goes out on loan. 

Could do. one of those deals like Cedric where we get a decent loan fee and they go someone until their contract runs out

alrhough one of the bottom six might take a gamble on him

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Could do. one of those deals like Cedric where we get a decent loan fee and they go someone until their contract runs out

alrhough one of the bottom six might take a gamble on him

Maybe Turkish, he’s been so off the pace lately I can’t see saints getting the necessary fee. Hopefully he turns it around in meantime.

Need a quality LB, and need serious cover (and/or long term replacement) for KWP.

Downes has really stepped up recently, so with him and Charles i think we're solid in CM, but we still need a more lethal output up top.

So for me, the must buys are a LB and a CF, and i would be going out and getting proper RWB cover for KWP.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Maybe Turkish, he’s been so off the pace lately I can’t see saints getting the necessary fee. Hopefully he turns it around in meantime.

I've not seen a noticeable dip in Turkish's posting recently. It's a relentless Championship posting schedule and some days are going to be better than others. Harsh to think of us selling him on to another forum, never mind for less than his valuation price. 🙂

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

Wouldn't we be looking to loan Mara out too? Hasn't happened for him here and may benefit from a loan to France. Would rather a perm, but can realistically only see a loan. Provided we could get replacement squad player, may be best for both parties. 

Sam Gallagher out of contract in the summer 😉

• Confused 1

My guesses are:

Fairly confident; Depending on RS form- Che to leave on loan or sale to a bottom six EPL club. Ditto possibly Mara same if someone EPL or Ligue un in need of a possible rough diamond up front. 

Just guessing optimistically Depending on league position  ( if we are in play off spots or not basically) 

1. Saints to resist selling KWP to EPL for anything below £25m. 

2. Saints to resist letting Charlie go for anything below £25m.  

3. Saints to resist letting KS for anything below £40m. 

Bids above those figures for our players I think they will be sold. Bids below I have fingers crossed we resist. 

4. A random young French speaking winger / striker and an old hand FB brought in on loan. 

• Like 1

Hopefully we only sell Adams (I think a move away is best for all parties if he isn't committed, and let's face it we won't particularly miss him). Mara had a decent-ish cameo against Hull, looked lively anyway, I'd like to see him get more opportunities up front instead of Adams.

Selling KWP/Sulemana/anyone else of value would be a disgraceful act of self-harm.

I don't think the squad will need too much to add to it but if we can strengthen then we should go for it. But let's save our cash for the summer when hopefully we'll be in a higher league.

• Like 2

Sulemana is a tough one, has shown he can be devastating when taking on a hapless FB, but end product still missing.

Edozie is solid cover so I reckon he'll be sold around £20m probably. A lot will depend on who has the cash.

Adams will have suitors as he'll be cheap. Plus the lad needs to get his career back on track. A fresh start required.

I suspect KWP will be in demand, a lot depends on Saints's prospects in January.

One hopeful factor in all this, is that Tino and Lavia aren't seeing any football. That may put a small seed of doubt in some minds.. Of course in contrast JWP has really kicked on,  but he always was going to.

Plus at some point these youngsters we are buying have to start playing.

I agree with others it will be quiet, but if serious money is offered for any player I can't see SR turning it down.

The longer Saints stay in the Championship the more this will be the case.

Got to get put of here sharpish

• Like 1

14 hours ago, macca155 said:

One hopeful factor in all this, is that Tino and Lavia aren't seeing any football. That may put a small seed of doubt in some minds.. Of course in contrast JWP has really kicked on,  but he always was going to.

Any seed of doubt is quite quickly extinguished when they see their payslip.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, macca155 said:

Sulemana is a tough one, has shown he can be devastating when taking on a hapless FB, but end product still missing.

Edozie is solid cover so I reckon he'll be sold around £20m probably. A lot will depend on who has the cash.

Adams will have suitors as he'll be cheap. Plus the lad needs to get his career back on track. A fresh start required.

I suspect KWP will be in demand, a lot depends on Saints's prospects in January.

Plus at some point these youngsters we are buying have to start playing.

I agree with others it will be quiet, but if serious money is offered for any player I can't see SR turning it down.

The longer Saints stay in the Championship the more this will be the case.

Got to get put of here sharpish

Last couple of games I thought Sulemana has done well - produced some good crosses but our other forwards have been too slow to take advantage.  I think against Hull there were three good crosses that would have looked better if someone gambled and went near post.  Hopefully Ross Stewart can do that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Can’t sell KWP in January. Not many teams in world football sell a star and probably their best player in the January window. We know how awful it is for buying good players from recent years.

But this is Southampton don't forget! We sell better than anyone else.

3 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Can’t sell KWP in January. Not many teams in world football sell a star and probably their best player in the January window. We know how awful it is for buying good players from recent years.

I could only see us selling KWP in January if promotion is as good as off the cards (which it won't be because the championship is so tight). Obviously he will go in the summer if we don't go back up.

If we do, I do wonder whether he will sign a new deal or not. I think he still appreciates that we gave him a chance after his career was stalling at Spurs, maybe it will depend on the club's ambition in the summer window.

• Like 2

I have a worrying feeling we'll lose Sulemana, I just hope we get good money for him. I am pleased he's got his head down and is playing well but I think if someone comes in for him at the right price, he'll go.  KWP won't have gone unnoticed either but I really hope we can hold on to him as he's virtually irreplaceable with his form this season - I don't see Bree or Holgate stepping up to do the same job. I feel like Adams will go but bar maybe Aribo or Mara, I don't see anyone else leaving.

Ins? Another striker would be nice if we lose Adams and/or Mara and I'd still be tempted to strengthen LB, CB and possibly CM but I think movement will be minimal overall.

Thing is, one or two good signings (like Sharp and to a lesser extent Lee in our promotion season ) could make all the difference later in the season when our lot have tired legs.

14 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

He plays like he’s on cheat mode brah, man is cooking in the championship. My top G is sick

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I have a worrying feeling we'll lose Sulemana, I just hope we get good money for him. I am pleased he's got his head down and is playing well but I think if someone comes in for him at the right price, he'll go.  KWP won't have gone unnoticed either but I really hope we can hold on to him as he's virtually irreplaceable with his form this season - I don't see Bree or Holgate stepping up to do the same job. I feel like Adams will go but bar maybe Aribo or Mara, I don't see anyone else leaving.

Ins? Another striker would be nice if we lose Adams and/or Mara and I'd still be tempted to strengthen LB, CB and possibly CM but I think movement will be minimal overall.

Thing is, one or two good signings (like Sharp and to a lesser extent Lee in our promotion season ) could make all the difference later in the season when our lot have tired legs.

I agree, it will be in summer when the best of the rest will go

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I want Tony Mowbray. He's done a fantastic job there. 

24 hours earlier you labelled Martin as "a manager who has no track record of being anything other than bang average".   Are you looking for a bang below average manager for us??!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

24 hours earlier you labelled Martin as "a manager who has no track record of being anything other than bang average".   Are you looking for a bang below average manager for us??!!

Give up nipper. You're making yourself silly now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 22/10/2023 at 13:33, Saint86 said:

Need a quality LB, and need serious cover (and/or long term replacement) for KWP.

Downes has really stepped up recently, so with him and Charles i think we're solid in CM, but we still need a more lethal output up top.

So for me, the must buys are a LB and a CF, and i would be going out and getting proper RWB cover for KWP.

Agreed. We have cover of sorts at RB, but nothing at LB. It'll be interesting to see who plays there tonight. I'm expecting KWP at LB with Bree (probably) at RB which will disrupt us. Meghoma could be given a go, but I doubt it.

Another CF depends on what happens with the new bloke but assuming he can come in soon and stay fit, I'd like to see another come in and Mara moved on.

4 hours ago, Dman said:

I'm not sure I'm at that stage (yet!) but Sunderland were impressive last night. They gave Leicester a right go, and on another day could have drawn or even won. Some of their passing and movement was a pleasure to watch - quick and incisive. They just didn't have somebody with enough composure in front of goal. They're a young side, though, and if they keep progressing as they have done then they will be there or thereabouts. I'm hoping we will evolve into what I saw last night - it really was enjoyable to watch.

5 hours ago, Dman said:

Might even have been interested in us last summer, there were reports that Sunderland were looking elsewhere.

Proper, solid, unpretentious manager, whose teams try to play attractive football. Unfortunately no beard, no "system" to implement,   or part time knitwear model on his CV. Just not 'hip' enough for our decisionmakers. Rasmus knows best.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, egg said:

Agreed. We have cover of sorts at RB, but nothing at LB. It'll be interesting to see who plays there tonight. I'm expecting KWP at LB with Bree (probably) at RB which will disrupt us. Meghoma could be given a go, but I doubt it.

Another CF depends on what happens with the new bloke but assuming he can come in soon and stay fit, I'd like to see another come in and Mara moved on.

Any idea whats going on with Larios?

16 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Any idea whats going on with Larios?

He was on the comeback trail from his long-term injury, but then picked up a new long-term injury in training. They don't think he'll be back before next spring.

Feel for the lad, but he doesn't seem cut out for the physical nature of men's football.