January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

54 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Can't help thinking that WHam screwed us a bit on Prowsey's deal.       Looking at his season so far, he's certainly no worse than Declan Rice.

Since arriving JWP has been  MoM / or second highest in most games .    3 goals and  9 assists... so far and already a fan favourite with the Hammers. 

IF ... KWP  were to leave?  we ought to go all out for a decent fee (35-40 mill),  and Wham would have the best right-sided attack  in the Prem.

Danny Ings ..on loan? .   Why not, we've done dafter things . We know his injury record , but if we don't demand 90 mins. every game from him he' d be OK. 

Loads of experience and a good partner for Arma. ... and a guide for the likes of Edozie, Mara and Alcarez. 

IF.. we get a good fee for KWP (who like Prowsey deserves the highest level) then, a potential move for Downes and /or Johnson might balance the books.

Not a chance that we’ll get £35m for KWP.  Might be a deal involving Downes/Ings/Johnson though.

Love KWP as a marauding right-back.  He is Premier quality for sure.

• Like 1

Very very risky letting KWP go in this window. Easily Our best player. A proven goal scorer. Has dominated every left sided player he’s played against this season. Obviously an EPL player and arguably England class. 
There’s no equivalency in losing KWP and bringing in anyone else because right backs like him are absolutely diamonds. Bringing in Ings as some kind of sweetener is a sick joke. Ings can come - but KWP is untouchable this season. 
Saints Tifosi will be organising riots if that happens. I’m there if so. Need a massive banner

KWP E INTOCCABILE! 

nb . The tifosi don’t take this kind of shit well in Italy. Selling the Crown Jewels player is regarded as treachery and there’s delegations at the training ground, stadium wide instruction to silence and back turning and all sorts of banners and graffiti around stadium decrying the matter. SR should be under no illusions that they can do this with impunity. Don’t even think about it SR! By all means make a decision when he is in final year - but not here not now. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, egg said:

That's a non point. We're a championship club and will only attract players willing to play at our level. Ings would be a superb player at our level. 

No, it’s the point at the heart of everything. He will only end up here if he fails to attract any PL interest, I.e. his fitness and form dictate he is no longer performing at that level. Talking about a good season four years ago is a non point, it remains to be seen if he can even do it at Championship level.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No, it’s the point at the heart of everything. He will only end up here if he fails to attract any PL interest, I.e. his fitness and form dictate he is no longer performing at that level. Talking about a good season four years ago is a non point, it remains to be seen if he can even do it at Championship level.

No, it's a non point. Players find their level, or a level that they're willing to play it. Regardless, he'd be a great signing, and banging on about what he did or didn't do years ago is absolutely pointless. 

47 minutes ago, egg said:

That's a non point. We're a championship club and will only attract players willing to play at our level. Ings would be a superb player at our level. 

Or he trots around doing fuck all, or has a calf strain that takes him out for the entirety of March. Or both.

I don't want Ings back. We need a striker, sign a different one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Or he trots around doing fuck all, or has a calf strain that takes him out for the entirety of March. Or both.

The bloke is a worker, so I can't imagine him strolling about. Calf strain, now admittedly that's a risk.

You say sign someone else, but realistically who are we gonna get who could hit the ground running and score regularly in this league? We've taken a punt too often and just need proven quality.

If he's fit, I reckon he'd be just what we need. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

My West Ham supporting mate says Ings is deadweight at the moment. He's angry about it every time he's on the field.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, egg said:

The bloke is a worker, so I can't imagine him strolling about. Calf strain, now admittedly that's a risk.

You say sign someone else, but realistically who are we gonna get who could hit the ground running and score regularly in this league? We've taken a punt too often and just need proven quality.

If he's fit, I reckon he'd be just what we need. 

But he’s anything but proven, he’s done naff all for a whole year and has serious fitness. Ings has scored three goals in 2023 and two of them were against Forest. It’s a little strange you telling me it’s pointless to bang on about what he did years ago, because that’s literally what he’s dining out on right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

But he’s anything but proven, he’s done naff all for a whole year and has serious fitness. Ings has scored three goals in 2023 and two of them were against Forest. It’s a little strange you telling me it’s pointless to bang on about what he did years ago, because that’s literally what he’s dining out on right now.

So we should only sign strikers who are proven in the Premier League over the past year? That's a high bar

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

So we should only sign strikers who are proven in the Premier League over the past year? That's a high bar

No, we should sign players who fit our style of play and are within our price range. Most of all we need to be able to assume, with reasonable certainty, that they will stay fit for the majority of this campaign and perform to a consistent standard.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No, we should sign players who fit our style of play and are within our price range. Most of all we need to be able to assume, with reasonable certainty, that they will stay fit for the majority of this campaign and perform to a consistent standard.

His injury record is good of late. He had hamstring problems as he came back from his serious knee injury but has been in good fitness for years now

Screenshot_2023-12-15-19-48-47-484-edit_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

10 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Ings was world class for us .. would take him back in a heartbeat ..different level finisher to anyone we had since .. and would surely be class in the championship 

'Was' being the operative word. He peaked with us and then was very poor the season he got injured (or was it COVID, can't recall exactly). Did very little that last season and has done very little since. I wouldn't be averse to having him back, but he is not the Messiah (neither is he a very naughty boy). He would not, in my opinion 'score goals for fun' as others suggest. Sadly Danny is well passed his prime, but no doubt he would be an upgrade on Adam's, which is not really a ringing endorsement.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

'Was' being the operative word. He peaked with us and then was very poor the season he got injured (or was it COVID, can't recall exactly). Did very little that last season and has done very little since. I wouldn't be averse to having him back, but he is not the Messiah (neither is he a very naughty boy). He would not, in my opinion 'score goals for fun' as others suggest. Sadly Danny is well passed his prime, but no doubt he would be an upgrade on Adam's, which is not really a ringing endorsement.

I agree with pretty much agree with everything you say, but I didn't recall his last season being "very poor", just disrupted by Covid. I don't trust my old memory these days, so had to check the stats, which aren't too bad; 12 goals in 29 games. When you compare it with Che last season, (5 from 28) it is still pretty acceptable. 

Either way, he clearly peaked the previous season (19-20) when he scored 22 from 38 and it has been a downward spiral since then. 

I still think that he could do a job in the championship. In the first half v Coventry, Adam Armstrong was sent through by Che. Unfortunately he took too much time and a defender robbed him of the ball. I remember thinking at the time, if that were Ings, we'd all be celebrating a goal now (even with his recent decline).  

If the price was right, I'd take a punt on Danny, I think that his ability to find space in the box and finish would add a weapon that we don't currently possess. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

His injury record is good of late. He had hamstring problems as he came back from his serious knee injury but has been in good fitness for years now

Screenshot_2023-12-15-19-48-47-484-edit_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

You can't get injured if you don't play!

So far this season he has played 396 minutes out of 1980 (not including injury time etc) which is 20% of the available game time.  He's played one 90 minute game and his second longest game has been 77 minutes.

Although I'm sure that's just West Ham protecting their asset ;) 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So far this season he has played 396 minutes out of 1980 (not including injury time etc) which is 20% of the available game time.  He's played one 90 minute game and his second longest game has been 77 minutes.

Plenty of players get injured in training. Some even get injured sweeping up leaves!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

He played much more regularly the previous two seasons without any significant injuries. I don't see any clear cut evidence that he's been "injury prone" over the last few seasons. Isn't he simply 'out of favour' at West Ham at the moment rather than his lack of game time being injury / fitness related, per se?

Edited by trousers

17 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Its not the injury concern for me, but he left us in the lurch in his desire to play at a CL club that turned out not to be a CL team.

He sacrificed his chance of being a legend here for a few more quid. As he gets older he may reflect what bad advice he took as he has floundered since and has little allies left. 

If he had stayed he may have scored enough goals to have kept us up last season, I know we were poor but a goals and a few wins could have made the difference. If we had stayed up, this season is the easiest ever to do so with the 3 teams who came up.

Edited by OldNick
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Its not the injury concern for me, but he left us in the lurch in his desire to play at a CL club that turned out not to be a CL team.

He sacrificed his chance of being a legend here for a few more quid. As he gets older he may reflect what bad advice he took as he has floundered since and has little allies left. 

If he had stayed he may have scored enough goals to have kept us up last season, I know we were poor but a goals and a few wins could have made the difference. If we had stayed up, this season is the easiest ever to do so with the 3 teams who came up.

I think a lot of people are massively overestimating the importance of being able to tell people that they were once, “that guy who played for Southampton for six years.” 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think a lot of people are massively overestimating the importance of being able to tell people that they were once, “that guy who played for Southampton for six years.” 

Perhaps but MLT, Frannie etc have gained massively from being of this type. Especially as being locally born although not a saints fan

56 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Perhaps but MLT, Frannie etc have gained massively from being of this type. Especially as being locally born although not a saints fan

Once upon a time maybe.  Maybe his meltdown is because he stayed too long.  Had he had a stint at Liverpool he would be more grounded and not a total loon now?

On 15/12/2023 at 18:20, CB Fry said:

If he returns, its because he has no other options, not because he wants to... 

He'd likley suit our style and is a decent finisher, so would probably do a job for us, but i'd much rather we look forward than look back. 

• Like 4

All this talk of Danny Ings possibly returning and seeing how many would welcome his return (I'm personally not convinced) has got me thinking....do we really need another striker or do we need more creativity??

Personally i just don't think we create enough chances for our strikers week in week out (and this has been the theme for at least 3 seasons now)

Our wingers and attacking CM players have been very lacking in creation and scoring and we certainly on paper have the players that should be contributing a dam site more than they are.

We could have Ings back but it will mean bugger all if he does not get the service.

Personally i want to see creativity with an end product. Don't be surprised if it's these areas we address!

32 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

All this talk of Danny Ings possibly returning and seeing how many would welcome his return (I'm personally not convinced) has got me thinking....do we really need another striker or do we need more creativity??

Personally i just don't think we create enough chances for our strikers week in week out (and this has been the theme for at least 3 seasons now)

Our wingers and attacking CM players have been very lacking in creation and scoring and we certainly on paper have the players that should be contributing a dam site more than they are.

We could have Ings back but it will mean bugger all if he does not get the service.

Personally i want to see creativity with an end product. Don't be surprised if it's these areas we address!

Ings thrived for us in the 2019/20 season without us having (m)any truly creative players (as per appearances table below). Maybe that suggests a striker of Ings' calibre doesn't need to rely too much on the creativity of other players? Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome more 'creative' players with welcome arms, but wouldn't rule out someone like Ings succeeding, especially in this league, without further additions in the creativity department.

image.png.46e7a81c37593cf6a30f6309fba33f13.png

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

On 16/12/2023 at 13:24, Weston Super Saint said:

Once upon a time maybe.  Maybe his meltdown is because he stayed too long.  Had he had a stint at Liverpool he would be more grounded and not a total loon now?

Nah, he'd be even more of a loon. Imagine all the conspiracy theories and victim stories he would have gathered up there in Scouseland over the course of a season or two

• Like 1

I think it's more about whether Ings would want to come back. I think he'd prefer Leeds, or even another Prem team in the lower reaches. Think he's probably a 'never go back' guy, so would be very surprised if we spent a lot of time and money trying to persuade him.

1 hour ago, DT said:

I think it's more about whether Ings would want to come back. I think he'd prefer Leeds, or even another Prem team in the lower reaches. Think he's probably a 'never go back' guy, so would be very surprised if we spent a lot of time and money trying to persuade him.

Why would you have any idea what sort of guy he is? 

• Like 1

i sense a return of the CoT is imminent to confirm or quash rumours and also provide insights and clues into our real transfer business. 

#GenuineITKs #bewareoffalseprophets #circleoftrust #needtoknowbasis #ifyouknowyouknow 

CoT.png.f5d8dc4eead857199474a53be9a70a55.png

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

A closer look at the latest rumour / transfer hype doesn't make the situation any clearer.

KWP has contract until summer 2025 (?) and is approaching his best and still has v. good valuation "  despite us being a Championship club " wtf?.

(If  WHam want him to partner up with JWP(?)... we must demand a decent fee.. but Wham have already spent most the 100 million fee for Declan Rice .

....so what can be done with a cash /swap /part-ex type deal with a win-win situation?     

Johnson isn't a regular starter for them, and will be OOC in the summer,  so has little transfer value for WHam and shouldn't yield much unless he moves. 

Downes is already on loan to us until end of this season ..so why should we think about buying him outright just now?

Ings .  Our fan base is already split on the likelihood of " the prodigal's return" , but Danny will have to move - if he wants to get regular football.

IF ..he is a target for us (?).. we can't / won't match his WHam salary, but taking him on loan till May... and maybe paying 50% of his salary may be one option.

Ings  may be an  good option.. if / when Adams leaves, because we won't get a  brass farthing  for Che, who is OOC in May and will walk away for nothing.

These seem like  possible options, but one way or another we will know in a month's time..or, thereabouts.

Oops (sorry)  for younger fans

. .a brass farthing  (once the smallest coin of the Realm)...was of no significant value, (but could still buy one sweet when I was young).

4 hours ago, david in sweden said:

A closer look at the latest rumour / transfer hype doesn't make the situation any clearer.

KWP has contract until summer 2025 (?) and is approaching his best and still has v. good valuation "  despite us being a Championship club " wtf?.

(If  WHam want him to partner up with JWP(?)... we must demand a decent fee.. but Wham have already spent most the 100 million fee for Declan Rice .

....so what can be done with a cash /swap /part-ex type deal with a win-win situation?     

Johnson isn't a regular starter for them, and will be OOC in the summer,  so has little transfer value for WHam and shouldn't yield much unless he moves. 

Downes is already on loan to us until end of this season ..so why should we think about buying him outright just now?

Ings .  Our fan base is already split on the likelihood of " the prodigal's return" , but Danny will have to move - if he wants to get regular football.

IF ..he is a target for us (?).. we can't / won't match his WHam salary, but taking him on loan till May... and maybe paying 50% of his salary may be one option.

Ings  may be an  good option.. if / when Adams leaves, because we won't get a  brass farthing  for Che, who is OOC in May and will walk away for nothing.

These seem like  possible options, but one way or another we will know in a month's time..or, thereabouts.

Oops (sorry)  for younger fans

. .a brass farthing  (once the smallest coin of the Realm)...was of no significant value, (but could still buy one sweet when I was young).

Black Jacks if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Danny Ings will probably end up at Leicester or Leeds.

I imagine we’d be better off looking for a second striker type player than a target man.

Don’t think you can call Ings a target man.

He won’t go to Leicester or Leeds.  He’s coming home and is going to smash this fucking league to bits.

How many decent balls do we put across the box.  I’ll tell you - fucking loads.  He’ll clean up.

Adams to Burnley, no loss. His movement in the box compared to Ings is like night and day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

....and maybe just wondering ...... what may have happened if they'd taken Nathan Tella with them up to the Prem....?

Being tight-fisted over a few extra million to buy him may end up costing them 100 million... next season.

He probably refused to knock on doors in Burnley with the Book of Mormon in his hands.

• Confused 1

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

Don’t think you can call Ings a target man.

He won’t go to Leicester or Leeds.  He’s coming home and is going to smash this fucking league to bits.

How many decent balls do we put across the box.  I’ll tell you - fucking loads.  He’ll clean up.

Adams to Burnley, no loss. His movement in the box compared to Ings is like night and day.

Exactly this. Great movement from a striker at this level is a game changer. If he's fit, he'll make a massive difference for us. 

• Like 4

On 16/12/2023 at 07:48, WALK DMC said:

I agree with pretty much agree with everything you say, but I didn't recall his last season being "very poor", just disrupted by Covid. I don't trust my old memory these days, so had to check the stats, which aren't too bad; 12 goals in 29 games. When you compare it with Che last season, (5 from 28) it is still pretty acceptable. 

Either way, he clearly peaked the previous season (19-20) when he scored 22 from 38 and it has been a downward spiral since then. 

I still think that he could do a job in the championship. In the first half v Coventry, Adam Armstrong was sent through by Che. Unfortunately he took too much time and a defender robbed him of the ball. I remember thinking at the time, if that were Ings, we'd all be celebrating a goal now (even with his recent decline).  

If the price was right, I'd take a punt on Danny, I think that his ability to find space in the box and finish would add a weapon that we don't currently possess. 

20/21 he was scoring quite regularly early in the season, but after Feb 21 his goal scoring dropped off (apart from a brace v Palace) and he was in and out of the squad. He really hasn't scored many goals since and hasn't scored now for over a year.

If he is to come back it is critical that he comes in as soon as possible once the window opens. Would be absolutely pointless if it doesn't happen until end January, given he needs to understand the process (seems like players take time to understand russball), Stewart should be back about then and there are only 17 league games from Feb to end of season. I like Danny and it would be good if he comes back but I'm not sure that he is all that people expect him to be, and I'm not convinced that he wants to be here, he was not exactly complimentary when he left, but perhaps that was down to Ralph as much as the Club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I like Danny and it would be good if he comes back but I'm not sure that he is all that people expect him to be, and I'm not convinced that he wants to be here, he was not exactly complimentary when he left, but perhaps that was down to Ralph as much as the Club.

Bednarek wasn't either and he came back as the all conquering Janny B.

Lets get Danny I back asap 😜

21 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Well the rumors are we are getting in both. Sure it’s vague but it makes sense to me. Still convinced as the season progresses Charley, Aribo and Edozie will start scoring regularly. Ross Stewart will be back. Our backstage team will have factored in his injury. 
Right do your worse 

45 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

I appreciate we all want the perfect transfer window each season but FWIW moving on Lavia and Salisu was absolutely the right thing to do. Not just for the money but neither have played a game this season and if we’d have kept them I doubt we’d have seen THB or Downes.

I just want a window where we bring in a striker who's good enough, fits our style, and is fit to play. 

• Like 1

Look don't get me wrong, a fit and fully committed to the cause Danny Ings would be great for any Championship side, the guy on his day is special and should tear defenders in our league a "new one".

However IS there any actual hard proof we are 1/ In the market for another striker and 2/ any actual facts we are remotely interested in Ings

So far with just over 10 days before the window opens all i have seen is a lot of guess work and adding 2+2=5 going on.

17 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The perfect place for Che to become a prolific top flight striker.  Hopefully Ashlyn the Chairman's influencer daughter will start another campaign along the lines of her Free Nathan Tella gem, with Adams ending up at Borussia Mönchengladbach for double the fee.

• Haha 1