European Super League Again

Mystic Force

I see it as a win for fans if those lot leave, certainly wouldn't "ruin it for the rest of us". Sky and large ownerships have ruined football through corporotisation whereby now the fans of larger clubs are having to be supporters of Saudi Arabia and billionaire footballers. Having a sweep out to leave a English Football League Championship style league of the top division (with less money) would benefit football and fans of proper clubs not large brands as it has become. 

• Like 9

Could be the best thing to happen to domestic football...

It would get rid of the big clubs with their massive budgets and their plastic fans. Like the champions league it would be a vastly over rated product and we could  just enjoy what would be left, which might just be competitive for us and give us a chance of winning something.

• Like 1

Just now, SW5 SAINT said:

Trouble is I don’t think they will be leaving their domestic leagues…..it will be as well as…..

exactly. what is far more likely, there will be more games for all involved in this super league, that the league cup will take a hit, and the premier league will probably be cut to 18 or even 16 teams (we get constant cries of too many games as it is)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

exactly. what is far more likely, there will be more games for all involved in this super league, that the league cup will take a hit, and the premier league will probably be cut to 18 or even 16 teams (we get constant cries of too many games as it is)

Can only hope the EPL grow a pair and retain the status quo. It will then be the big six choice of expanding their fixture list…..hopefully they might have to field weakened teams…..

44 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

"Too many games" but the pre-season nonsense tournaments and European group stages get more and more bloated every year. Who really gives a shit about group stage matches, except for supporters of the teams directly involved?

The League Cup has already taken a hit since winner only gets Europa Conference qualification (although I would still consider the possibility of winning it as a potential highlight of supporting Saints). 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The talk I heard is of them having two teams, a super league team and a second team that plays in the premier league? With the extra money they’ll end up buying all the best talent and playing all the best talent in their B team while the stars play in the super league. If they were going fuck off and leave us to it I’d be all for it but I don’t think they will. It’ll be like a better version of the Johnson paint trophy with them using the domestic leagues as a B team 

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

"Too many games" but the pre-season nonsense tournaments and European group stages get more and more bloated every year. Who really gives a shit about group stage matches, except for supporters of the teams directly involved?

The League Cup has already taken a hit since winner only gets Europa Conference qualification (although I would still consider the possibility of winning it as a potential highlight of supporting Saints). 

Yep they moan about too many games but quite happy to go to Thailand the US or Australia in preseason 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

People assume clubs will leave their domestic competition?? Surely, this would replace, or force change (again), the Champions League?

I thought it was a champions League/ other Euro competition replacement too.

UEFA changing the format of the Champions League a response to this, not least due to some clubs wanting it to be even more fixed/ always spending beyond their means. The nonsense new league format for it going some way towards a super League type format.

FIFAs timing of the expanded club championship not a coincidence. It's also multi purpose cash grab (can't have clubs getting lucrative pre season tours), undermining of UEFA and closing off about the only remaining fixture gap, before anyone else gets there.

With a number of clubs already having said no, and after they made such a mess of it first time round, no guarantee it will happen. But a definite bargaining chip for the clubs. Only a LIV golf funding model away from happening too.

There's some more pressure to drop the league cup. The Premier league is very lucrative. I'd have thought there would be a lot of resistance to that changing.

I think I read that Man City played 61 games in a recent season. The new champions League format and this FIFA competition taking the place of some pre season matches, may well be about the same/ a few more if the League cup goes.

The whole thing is mad. But I think I want it to happen now. 

If the "top six" leave or get kicked out, money will be tighter for the remaining 86 league teams, but it will be way better fun. Maybe 20-30 teams who could aspire to be English champions (Saints would be one)

I also think people will tire of watching Benfica v Arsenal 6 times a year (or whatever the plan is....!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yep they moan about too many games but quite happy to go to Thailand the US or Australia in preseason 

Thing is with the like os 'Pep' complain about too many games. You watch, there are plenty of occasions where he wont make a sub, or if he does, it is just the 1. 

How often does his £50m CM (Phillips) play, let alone the others like Kovecic. Yet 'Pep' moans that Rodri is playing too much. The top clubs have more money than god. Maybe they should get their houses in order, have and utlise better squads

Imagine the joy of being able to watch ‘product’ like Sunday’s stunnner between Liverpool and Man Utd more often.

Will be legislation soon in UK not allowing clubs to breakaway. They saw fans reaction at thought of clubs plying more European football - no one wants it. A very small sample but haven’t watched any of the CL games this season, Despite the hype it is boring to me and only gets going when at knockout stages. 

• Like 2

Just now, whelk said:

Imagine the joy of being able to watch ‘product’ like Sunday’s stunnner between Liverpool and Man Utd more often.

Will be legislation soon in UK not allowing clubs to breakaway. They saw fans reaction at thought of clubs plying more European football - no one wants it. A very small sample but haven’t watched any of the CL games this season, Despite the hype it is boring to me and only gets going when at knockout stages. 

You think the UK Govt (of any colour) will do anything? If they bow to European Law about most other things (currently in the news), no chance will current soundbites from the Govt be anything meaningful. 

12 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Yep, a good way of getting rid of the Luton's of this world ever contaminating the same pitch as the mega star mercenaries of the " top" clubs.

29 minutes ago, whelk said:

Match going fans dont want it but the TV audience does. Also kids seem to want it, my lads mates were all very excited about it when they were talking last night at training. Football is a TV show now, they dont give a toss about fans that go to games it's about TV revenue and the global fan base. The sad thing is that even though the traditional fan doesn't want it, there is someone there only too willing to replace them in the stadium so it's not even like it's going to hurt the clubs. I'd like to think it'd be good for clubs like Saints as it'll mean we have a chance of winning something and competing but the one of the rumours seems to be that clubs will be able to have a team in the Super league and team in the premier league. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You think the UK Govt (of any colour) will do anything? If they bow to European Law about most other things (currently in the news), no chance will current soundbites from the Govt be anything meaningful. 

Uk law can easily make it happen and needs to. Football clubs aren’t like any other business and important for communities. Of course there will be all the money men lobbying for franchise style clubs with Newcastle playing in Riyadh etc. But as they found out last time risk doing it at their peril. No fan of FIFA or UEFA but they are also key bodies that can scupper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Match going fans dont want it but the TV audience does. Also kids seem to want it, my lads mates were all very excited about it when they were talking last night at training. Football is a TV show now, they dont give a toss about fans that go to games it's about TV revenue and the global fan base. The sad thing is that even though the traditional fan doesn't want it, there is someone there only too willing to replace them in the stadium so it's not even like it's going to hurt the clubs. I'd like to think it'd be good for clubs like Saints as it'll mean we have a chance of winning something and competing but the one of the rumours seems to be that clubs will be able to have a team in the Super league and team in the premier league. 

I don’t know about different demographics but saw last time the revolt and protests wasn’t just men in their 50s. Agree will likely be alongside domestic league and is rival to UEFA’s competitions. But whatever criticism of UEFA they are competitions you qualify on merit which is the fundamental that these cunts don’t get.

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

Uk law can easily make it happen and needs to. Football clubs aren’t like any other business and important for communities. Of course there will be all the money men lobbying for franchise style clubs with Newcastle playing in Riyadh etc. But as they found out last time risk doing it at their peril. No fan of FIFA or UEFA but they are also key bodies that can scupper.

Then the other side will demand we bend the knee to the greater power (Europe)....thus is the way.

The so called top six and their pals on the continent should be careful about what they wish for.  Yes, TV and "merch" revenue dwarves attendance receipts, but without genuine, passionate fans in the stadia football is dead and the TV spectacle would dwindle and die. Witness Klopp moaning about Anfield's biggest attendances for 50 years, yet generating a touristy, flat atmosphere. Twats gawping at mobiles for 112 minutes. 

Edited by adrian lord

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Then the other side will demand we bend the knee to the greater power (Europe)....thus is the way.

As I understand the European ruling was regarding unfair competition against monopolies. Easy to draft a bill with no ambiguities in that situation I’d have thought.

23 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It seems inevitable but crassly stupid, short sighted and immoral in the light of the existential crises surrounding our environment.

How are a few tens of thousands more unnecessary flights per year going to help reverse climate change?

Money is the king so we'll all go to hell in a hand basket.

🤣

1 minute ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

How will spurs/ Man Utd / like being relegation fodder in the super league?

How will Liverpool feel when their special nights at anfield are to finish 10th

premier league need to enforce 25 man squad so that teams can’t have 2 squads & then drop superstar into league team

The premier league do enforce a 25 man squad already, right?

18 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think that's right. The idea of a completely new self-contained breakaway league is too idealistic, there are many fundamental problems to solve first e.g. how many clubs from which leagues;  promotion, relegation; unless they set it up as a closed shop.  Not all leagues in Europe are remotely equal while maintaining national representation at season's end could become a divisive political issue

Personally, two premier league divisions of 16 clubs would get my support. Saints should qualify for one of these!

3 hours ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

How will spurs/ Man Utd / like being relegation fodder in the super league?

How will Liverpool feel when their special nights at anfield are to finish 10th

premier league need to enforce 25 man squad so that teams can’t have 2 squads & then drop superstar into league team

this is the thing that's going to be amusing. All these so called big clubs losing most weeks. It's fun for them now as even the crap ones win 50% plus of their games but their fans aren't going to enjoy seeing them losing most week, having to spend £1000+ to see them play in Madrid, Milan, Paris and lose for the 5th season in a row. Be fun seeing these cocky spurs, Chelsea, Man united fans lording it now over clubs with a fraction of their budget have it served up to them

On 21/12/2023 at 19:27, Mystic Force said:

So it seems that people who like money and ruining it for the rest of us are trying again. Flush with a ruling that footballs governing bodies can't stop it the fans can now be safely ignored.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67791936

Doesn't matter what the ECJ say is legal or not in this country. If a UK court has made a ruling post Brexit, it takes precedence over what the ECJ say ... so unlucky Liverpool, Man United etc.

Fact to back up the statement I made: https://www.supremecourt.uk/faqs.html#:~:text=The relationship between the UK,11pm on 31 December 2020. 

Edited by Patrick Bateman
Fact to back up
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Doesn't matter what the ECJ say is legal or not in this country. If a UK court has made a ruling post Brexit, it takes precedence over what the ECJ say ... so unlucky Liverpool, Man United etc.

Fact to back up the statement I made: https://www.supremecourt.uk/faqs.html#:~:text=The relationship between the UK,11pm on 31 December 2020. 

Just wait till the players/clubs make an angle for the ECHR to get involved.....they will try

I haven't really looked at the proposals in detail but this is a rival to the UEFA european competitions rather than the domestic leagues?  If that's the case then I find it hard to get worked up either way.  Current European competitions are a joke since UEFA caved in and made them more like leagues with group games etc and this would be more of the same.  Only thing that would be different is that someone other than UEFA would be getting the cash and presumably the richer clubs would be getting even richer.

I was hoping that the big six or 7 would fuck off to a proper European League and the rest of us would enjoy their absence far more than their presence.