Jan looking to sign players !

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

There has always been talk, from the day JP joined us, that he may bring in new players up until on radio the other day.

This club has a long history of losing our "big" players but often have replaced with cheaper but better options -lets hope this happens again.

Remember fans being fed up when Dean Richards left us - to be replaced by Svensson. It can happen the other way around I know!

We haven't been told the exact financial situation so can't be lied to.

Davies left due to him wanting to go to the premiership -understandably -so probably his salary saving and fee is a bonus.

He's going to find that a challenge with no money for fees or wages.

Or are we being lied to about the depth of the financial crisis ?

This is just spin to make us shut up. Probably means Surmans departure will be announced before the weekend.

I wonder whether he'll actually know who we're signing anyway...

There has always been talk, from the day JP joined us, that he may bring in new players up until on radio the other day.

This club has a long history of losing our "big" players but often have replaced with cheaper but better options -lets hope this happens again.

Remember fans being fed up when Dean Richards left us - to be replaced by Svensson. It can happen the other way around I know!

Davies left due to him wanting to go to the premiership -understandably -so probably his salary saving and fee is a bonus.

As I said previously Nick...Why the stiff upper lip? Things aren't good, are they?! Yet you continue to wobble on that fence. Why?????

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=736

You may have missed this thread. Really curious as to your stance on Saints so please could you answer?! Seriously - I am bemused as to your care free responses, continually defending the club. Is it a talent, an autocue, or just plain mental?!

At least this shows that JP is aware of the huge gap left in CB options with the departure of Davies.

As with most of our signings I expect whoever is brought in (if any are) will be no one on the vast majority of our radars. But I hope that whoever they may be they go on to more than emulate their predecessors' acheivements at SMS.

As I said previously Nick...Why the stiff upper lip? Things aren't good, are they?! Yet you continue to wobble on that fence. Why?????

You may have missed this thread. Really curious as to your stance on Saints so please could you answer?! Seriously - I am bemused as to your care free responses, continually defending the club. Is it a talent, an autocue, or just plain mental?!

I agree - defending the club who have let a fan down is a bit bizarre

This is just spin to make us shut up. Probably means Surmans departure will be announced before the weekend.

Morning Mr Alpine

I thought you wanted some new players as you are continually moaning about the fact we are selling our current ones.

Because regardless of fact, performance, quotes, anything, the majority it seems will never let their pantomine, often class-based, Lowe obsession lie. They're ten times more anti-Lowe than they are pro-Saints. Pathetic but true,

It is about time they got behind the team then is it not?

All this negative feeling must be affecting the team

We aren't seriously after any replacements as we can't afford them, not unless they are going to play for peanuts. This is just a smokescreen to try and camouflage the situation that we are totally broke and that any club can offer 2/6p for any of our players and we will bite their hand off. Great for the confidence of John and McGoldrick that we need a striker who can score goals. Presumably somebody with this proven ability would cost quite a bit in wages.

Good news if we are after a striker. We need someone other than John and McGoldrick for the whole season, preferably someone who can put themselves about a bit if possible.

We are a bit lightweight up front if John gets injured.....

Good if we are looking for a CB replacement for AD as well.

I'd love to see what JP could do given the chance to build a team.

Unfortunately, it appears these days that 85% of our fans are total mongs. This is why they are all utterly depressing.

Having said that, the ones that bother to turn up on matchday are more positive about the whole thing. Still, alpine thinks anyone that goes to a game is an "idiot", and as well all know, alpine is always right.

as regards money, by my back of fag packet calculations, a £1.2 m fee would save at least £150k PA on interest on the overdraft. I know this is probably factored in, but it does show how , if Lowe gets the overdraft down, some half decent replacements are possible.

just seen other thanks, didn't mean to defend club for messing someone around -thought that was covered by sorry you were messed around?!

Will answer more fully later, but I get really fed up when we lose or lose a player I like. I have been going now for over 30 years so seen ups and downs.

Part of my responses are defending my club (be it Lowe, Wilde, Crouch, GB, JP, NP etc) when I feel criticisms are based on us not knowing all details or fans being unrealistic in expectations.

Also feel there are many on here who are just looking for any opportunity to moan -there are plenty so why look for extra ones -even digs on this thread when its actually potentially good news.

I remember this is a hobby/passion for me - I am not on the board but a fan.

Quite clearly Jan doesn't think much of Thomas or Lancashire.

Absolutely delighted he has recognised that we need a new striker. Despite having numbers last season I continually pointed out that none of the pairings when combined added up to a Kenwyne Jones.

From League One. :rolleyes:

Well, it has to be said that the ones we got from PL level in the last year or so haven't exactly been up to the mark sooooo... :rolleyes:

More to the point, interesting to see that JP has noticed the "bleedin obvious" which many on here assume they don't see.

I'm reminded of a commentator during a playoff game at the end of last season - think it was Darlington but not sure - they had earned 500k from the playoffs and their manager reckoned it would be enough to build a completely new squad for this season.

Slight difference in understanding value for money I guess. (And yes I know the quality level is different) but shows the difference between dreams and reality in footie these days

no manager works alone on signings.

Scouts etc have always identified players.

Lee Hoos did all the talking with players and agents, finances etc.

Things aren't suddenly different here

Hellfire Nick, you want a torch yet?

Must be dark up Rupert's ar$e....

Wake up, he's doing everything and Jan's playing with the cards that are dealt to him.

Another f**king joke situation ........

After the never ending Lowe "Cull", we now get this Krap .........

HOW, can the "no money, we're broke" SFC buy players ???, and even if some are obtained, does anyone think that they are going to be any better than the ones they replace????

Seems to me, the Lowe/Poortvliet "the only way is youth" startegy, is already falling apart at the seams.

Mind you, we have got that fantastic future International player Pulis Junior for Jan to fit into the Team that has been gelling so well since pre season

What a joke our Club has become

where does that mention anything good about Lowe?

MR G you are battling against bigotry, they see that because you can see what is being done is essential and pragmatic.They see everything as Lowes fault. If you disagree you are branded a Lowe luvvie.

Its schoolboy thining.

Even the great Mark Dennis was complaining that we signed Morgan on Prosts say so.

Well to me Prost is hell of a judge and may he find a few more,the big clubs have people like that all over the world, we have 1 or more and that is wrong.

Morning Mr Alpine

I thought you wanted some new players as you are continually moaning about the fact we are selling our current ones.

Please explain to me how my intial take on the situation can be interpreted as me not wanting SFC to sign new players.

As you well know, john, any players that do come in will be of inferior quality to those leaving, anyway.

Mr H,

I can't say I like Lowe but what's the alternative?

People want him to sell -but no-one wants to buy?

Of course buying players can make sense when you are broke, people moan saying we won't be left with anyone -so what do you do? If someone is short of money they often sell a house and buy a cheaper one! makes perfect sense.

If Morgan was a Lowe signing (if cos not seen anywhere anything to say he was) then he looks a good one!

MR G you are battling against bigotry, they see that because you can see what is being done is essential and pragmatic.They see everything as Lowes fault. If you disagree you are branded a Lowe luvvie.

Its schoolboy thining.

Even the great Mark Dennis was complaining that we signed Morgan on Prosts say so.

Well to me Prost is one hell of a judge and may he find a few more,the big clubs have people like that all over the world, we have 1 or more and that is wrong.

Agreed

Mr H,

I can't say I like Lowe but what's the alternative?

People want him to sell -but no-one wants to buy?

Of course buying players can make sense when you are broke, people moan saying we won't be left with anyone -so what do you do? If someone is short of money they often sell a house and buy a cheaper one! makes perfect sense.

If Morgan was a Lowe signing (if cos not seen anywhere anything to say he was) then he looks a good one!

MR G, all common sense it must come with the name.

could mean BWP and/or John as off as well if we are talking about a new striker - although saying that we need one anyway with pace and power to make the darting runs down the channels and feed-off the through balls from Lallana

I expect it will be a loan from a Premier team - Jay Simpson from Arsenal for example - or a cheap buy from lower league Holland

As for a defender could this be the loan return of Baird from Fulham!?

Personally I would have got rid of BWP, Dyer, John and Rasiak and kept Saga but there you go - that's football!

Please explain to me how my intial take on the situation can be interpreted as me not wanting SFC to sign new players.

As you well know, john, any players that do come in will be of inferior quality to those leaving, anyway.

Alpine I can see your logic, but a price tag does not always mean you are getting quality in a footballer. As has been shown by others over the years our most successful signings have invaribly been our cheapest and best and our most expensive the most disappointing. Delap, McCann,Delgado, Rudi.

This whole debate stems from how you view the best way of getting out of the financial mess.LC threw money at it in the gamble it would be black and not red, wheras RL is more cautious and cuts the cloth accordingly.I myself am careful in business and so take the RL route. Many others spend up to their credit card limit and get car loans, bank loans etc etc and have a good time but sooner or later they have to face the fact of paying up.

[view the best way of getting out of the financial mess.LC threw money at it in the gamble it would be black and not red,

Nick could explain this comment please ?

LC (I should have put Wilde bunch, as to be fair it was just him)imo went and spent to get us to the PL.

That would have overcome a lot of our financial worries had it worked.It was a gamble and sadly came up red like our bank balance. It was then when we had overstrateched too far that the accelleration to now happened.

I expect them to announce it just before the Birmingham game when they also announce that Killer's knee has already popped.

Oh!

I've said it before, "the financial crisis" is being used to justify whatever it is Lowe wants to do. We are certainly up against it, but I do not believe any more so than many other clubs who are not constantly banging this drum.

Lowe will announce whenever it suits his purpose that "firm ation" taken on the financial position has put us is a stronger position. That'll be when the wheels look to have fallen off and he needs to take a change in direction. About the beginning of November I reckon, when we will be scatching round for loans.

Yes things are tight, but I fear will very much tighter when results don't come and the crowds reduce even more - and that's just when Lowe will say "things are on a sounder footing"...

I go by the universal truth in The Good Book - The Emperor's New Suit by Hans Christian Andersen - a dose of scepticism is healthy, even if you non-stop happy-clap at matches.

Me oh my, what a lot of negative nancy's on this thread.

JP is looking to sign players in positions where we are light on numbers. What a ****ing **** Lowe must be!

It was perfectly clear from JP's comments before the deal went through that he hadn't wanted Davies to go but was resigned to it. Now he wants some extra cover at CB. Stands to reason.

We've got Stern as centre forward, but when he can't play there's McGoldrick who seems to be better wide, or Patterson who's pretty much unknown. So JP wants some extra cover at CF. Stands to reason.

Yes, these will have to be cheap/free options because we're skint (this doesn't necessarily mean they'll be sh*t). No, it doesn't mean we're being lied to about the financial situation. We'll have moved on some high earners (got money for them in some cases) and brought in some low earners - a net gain. The club will have agreed targets with the bank to cut it's outgoings and now they're trying to meet them. Not having the playing staff to field a team isn't going to help club or bank as we'll end up losing more money.

I can't see how these comments could possibly be construed negatively. Although I will say I think we need options at right back.

Agree a certain Martin Chivers also left just after promotion to lots os critiscism in the 60's to allow a young Mick Channon to make his debut coming up from the youth team I know which of those two I would now rather have!

Some of our best players over the recent years have come up through the youth leagues to replace players sold on others include Matt Letiss, Alan Shearer, Rodney Wallace, Steve Williams, Steve Moran , Graham Baker and more recently Bridge, Wallcot and Bale.

So let us not give up on the youngsters to quickly what they need is the support, encouragement and time to to mature

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Surman to Reading, Bennett as part of the deal. Please...

Bennett was apparently released by Reading in the summer, although SoccerBase are indicating that he's still owned by them. He's currently playing for Brentford, although whether that's on loan or if he's under contract there now isn't too clear.

Agree a certain Martin Chivers also left just after promotion to lots os critiscism in the 60's to allow a young Mick Channon to make his debut coming up from the youth team I know which of those two I would now rather have!

Some of our best players over the recent years have come up through the youth leagues to replace players sold on others include Matt Letiss, Alan Shearer, Rodney Wallace, Steve Williams, Steve Moran , Graham Baker and more recently Bridge, Wallcot and Bale.

So let us not give up on the youngsters to quickly what they need is the support, encouragement and time to to mature

Or bring Pulis from Stoke reserves.I would rather persevere with our own youth as above than some other team cast off that no one else wants.