Saints v Brum - Post Match Reaction

Baj

Last week there was some gloom and doom with Davies going to Stoke.

But how easily it has changed with Cork coming together with a young Czech striker plus two wins against teams which were in the Premiership last years and no goals conceded.

Makes you proud to be a Saints fan again. The youngsters put in a great display and Thomas had one of his best games for us. Cork looked very comfortable and Lallana was everywhere. Despite a 15 min period after the break when we were off our game a little and had withstand some pressure, we got the ball back on the floor and started playing our pass and move football again and the whole team played really well. Great chasing down and movement throughout.

The same old baiting of KP went on again but he never looked like scoring thank god.

Why would it be luck? It's not luck to spend years and years working on an academy, employing good youth coaches and developing good players. Anyone watching the youth, reserves and first team last season had a very good idea that many youngsters were likely better than what we had in the first team. No luck, no risk, in fact, suicide to stick with the dross of last year.

Well done again boys. Hopefully with a few more wins people will start to understand what we're doing here, especially the media. Make no mistake, we have a good squad.

I agree. I've always enjoyed seeing the youngsters play and been impressed with them. The fact they're taking more than a little step up and 'cutting it' so far says an awful lot about their quality. I knew they looked good at their age level but have been quite frankly shocked at the quality they've shown at the higher level this season.

A great result and a great style of play. Jimmy Case worrying that the team can't keep up the speed of play that they showed tonight, game after game as the season goes on, but JP does have a squad. Apart from bringing on Stern and Mills tonight, he was resting Davis, Svensson and Perry, and he's got the other subs he didn't use tonight as well as the new signing, Pekhart. That looks a big enough squad to give people a rest when they need it. After tonight, JP's biggest problem for Saturday looks like deciding who to play!

A great result and a great style of play. Jimmy Case worrying that the team can't keep up the speed of play that they showed tonight, game after game as the season goes on, but JP does have a squad. Apart from bringing on Stern and Mills tonight, he was resting Davis, Svensson and Perry, and he's got the other subs he didn't use tonight as well as the new signing, Pekhart. That looks a big enough squad to give people a rest when they need it. After tonight, JP's biggest problem for Saturday looks like deciding who to play!

Jimmy Case is a dribbler who often struggles to string a sentence together. Ignore.

Just back with a big smile on my face.

This team will not be in a relegation fight. It might not make the top 6 this season but if they stick together over the next few seasons this team will restore our position in the Premier league.

Well done to Jan, exceeded all expectations in a very short time.

Well done Lowe and Wilde for going with someome and something new.

I am quite optimistic.

Money well spent so far this season (mine I mean).

Forget they are young kids, forget opposition to Lowe and Wilde. Get along and watch some fantastic football.

Was a nice game to watch and again i think it is proof we finally have a "team" mentality at the club, something we havent had in many years. I really hope we can continue like that as the boys done us proud again and compared to the crap we had last season in both cups it makes a really nice change! How lallana hit the bar then post then missed i will never know! Thankfully he made up for it :p

All sounds great to me. Hope I can get down soon for a gander close up. Worries me this talk of the cup being a non entity. Surely we should be happy getting as far as possible in this cup. Winning attracts attention and winning attractively even more. If our name's out there more of these kids from the elite teams will be happy about coming here. That's not to say I want a team full of loanees but ones to replace the others that their clubs see as having progressed far enough at SMS to return to their first team. What greater compliment is there of the way JP is getting the boys to play? Plus the further we go the better chance of us seeing something from the past - a prem ground. That'll test the lads. I hope this sprinkiling of early success continues COYR

Did anyone say on our run to Wembley in '79 what a pointless cup it was?

I enjoyed that very much although still not getting too excited. We do have some class there and I hope the lads grow stronger both physically and mentally as time goes on. I still dont get this playing one up front business but maybe with the new lad from spurs that might change.

Also I thought Bent who is a big old unit who won most things in the air was kept under wraps as was Phillips when he came on. He was second to near enough most of the balls due the great tackling from our defence.

One thing I did like was the fact that when we scored every player apart from Bart joined in the celebrations, the team morale is good and I hope can take things forward

Cracking game. Haven't enjoyed my football so much in years!:D

For those who haven't seen these youngsters - forget the notion that we don't have any 'names'. This is a GOOD TEAM playing GOOD FOOTBALL. Get down there on Saturday and enjoy!

Superb. Sublime. Lord Lowe is Mr Southampton now!

We are going to walk this mickey mouse.

Come on now, dont be so silly.

This is the first game I've seen this season and compared to the dross that was served up last season we are streets ahead.

Gillet was excellent and looks like we've got a great loan signing in Cork. Saints kept it simple and played it back to the keeper if there was no way forward.

Thomas played well, a couple of iffy moments but every team needs at least one 'hoofer' that has no qualms smashing the ball out of play as sometimes thats the best option.

The most encouraging thing though was the attitude of the players to get involved. Also the fact, that it seemed like there could be a couple more gears for the team to move up into.

As long as teams and opposition fans keep thinking we have a bunch of nobodies I will be more than happy with that as we'll definitely surprise a few teams.

Yes there is a long season to go as yet but I'm hopeful of some good times ahead but not looking at anything more than mid-table....................yet! :smt109

Edited by Johnny Shearer

I still dont get this playing one up front business but maybe with the new lad from spurs that might change.

Look at where our goals have come from, and you have your answer... Lallana and Holmes have both weighed in, and chances have fallen to the entire forward quartet in msot games... that's the whole point of the formation and the style of play... it creates openings for various players. And so farm we're playing it very well and just need a slightly sharper cutting edge to really kill games off sooner.

Whoever at Derby who made the decision to not offer Holmes a contract deserves to be sacked, terrible decision... I'm not complaining though.
Shocking first touch though.

Him and Surman need to work more on their overlapping, if they do, we're going to destroy teams down the left.

I enjoyed that very much although still not getting too excited. We do have some class there and I hope the lads grow stronger both physically and mentally as time goes on. I still dont get this playing one up front business but maybe with the new lad from spurs that might change.

Also I thought Bent who is a big old unit who won most things in the air was kept under wraps as was Phillips when he came on. He was second to near enough most of the balls due the great tackling from our defence.

One thing I did like was the fact that when we scored every player apart from Bart joined in the celebrations, the team morale is good and I hope can take things forward

Why don't you get the one up front business?? it's working nicely, we are creating loads of chances.

As a cynic and anti Lowe poster I have to admit I was very impressed tonight.

The football was excellent and full of composure. The best football I have seen at SMS for a very long time. Gillet was superb and Holmes never stopped running. I would urge all sceptics to go on Saturday because I was blown away by what I saw tonight and those kids should be rewarded with more support. I can hardly believe what i saw.

Why don't you get the one up front business?? it's working nicely, we are creating loads of chances.

When LH and AL are breaking forward at the same time it works as we have seen. But I noticed at the last Brum game and again tonight, we seem to be breaking away a lot more and both DMG and SJ were left to deal with 3 or 4 defenders while the others play catch up. It reminds me of when Dowie used to be up front on his own, the ball was played to him and he used to flick it on to no one:) I just feel that if LH or AL stayed a little closer it would be more beneficial.

does that make sense :)

Fantastic performance again. We didn't deserve to lose the league game & we got exactly what we deserved tonight. I can only really remember Bart having one save to make all night. Defender superbly, passing was again awesome.

God knows how Burley never picked Gillett, he really does look the part & Schneiderlin is looking a bargain for little over a million quid.

Roll on Saturday!