Calm Down Friends

Legod Second Coming

I cannot help thinking that around the corner is a defeat.

Because our young lads ARE still learning.

Do bear this in mind before you start booking hotel rooms in Manchester, Liverpool, North London, Gateshead...

And stick with them through good times and bad, until the former outnumber the latter.

I'll still dream of going unbeaten for the rest of the season, Champions by March.

But these are green shoots, not marigolds or lillies just yet...

Exactly and people need to remember this. The guys are doing us proud and raising the expectations bar after 2 games is just a joke. They dont need that pressure, what they need is your support regardless if we win or not. If the season stopped now we would be 17th and i would be happy with that! The team if kept together could go on and do very well in the future. We will have ups and we will have downs. Applaud the good but dont be too critical on the bad because they are just kids, remember that!

stick with them through good times and bad, until the former outnumber the latter.I'll still dream of going unbeaten for the rest of the season, Champions by March.

I'm not sure I understand the references to Lilies (the flower for funerals) or to rubber gloves - but I agree with the sentiment.

We have already lost two games that were winnable at the time. There will be more defeats without any doubt at all, but the object is to win more than we lose. Every game in this league is winnable, but some are more winnable than others. We will lose some we might expect to win, and we will win some we might expect to lose. Thats football. Oh! and we might draw a few as well!

Do bear this in mind before you start booking hotel rooms in Manchester, Liverpool, North London, Gateshead...

And stick with them through good times and bad, until the former outnumber the latter.

I'll still dream of going unbeaten for the rest of the season, Champions by March.

Yes they are green shoots, but let's not go overboard. Remember it's only one league win in three, however impressive the play. Some tethers round ankles are required, I feel.

After ten league games we'll have a far more rounded idea of what this most potentially exciting season holds.

Of course a defeat is just round the corner. Let's just hope it isn't in front of a big St Mary's crowd as has been the case in recent seasons.

Most of us want this side, possibly more than any in recent memory, to go on a storming run but it's less than likely.

Look at it this way: if some unknown Dutchman can take a struggling championship side, fill it with academy players and then chase promotion to the premiership then either Lowe us some kind of genious for finding and hiring him or the standard of coaching in this country is beyond pathetic.

Captain Mainwaring, Sir, We're doomed. Lighten up and enjoy a couple of wins after months of dispair

Trust me, I even enjoyed the losses!!

But the feckless football fan who a fortnight ago was preparing for relegation is now preparing for promotion.

Our lads have won two games and are playing inspired football.

If by some misfortune of refereeing or bad luck we lose to Blackpool, let's take it on the chin and chalk it up to education and experience.

And if we win, let's treat triumph and disaster just the same, and be a bit more manly about it...

There's no harm dreaming and aspiring, but there is harm in lumping pressure on young shoulders to deliver it.

Of course a defeat is just round the corner. Let's just hope it isn't in front of a big St Mary's crowd as has been the case in recent seasons.

Most of us want this side, possibly more than any in recent memory, to go on a storming run but it's less than likely.

Look at it this way: if some unknown Dutchman can take a struggling championship side, fill it with academy players and then chase promotion to the premiership then either Lowe us some kind of genious for finding and hiring him or the standard of coaching in this country is beyond pathetic.

I totally agree, lets enjoy the good times and help them through the difficult ones. What they have shown is that they have learnt from the mistakes and each mistake they make improves them for the future.

This is so like the early 80's teams, even the reports in the press are the same, "Liverpool had an off day at Saints!!" etc. Right now the team need encouragement but not too much. They need to keep their feet on the ground the same as we do.

As for the coaching set-up it is something that he tried before with SCW - I hope now that there is a similar person in the background preparing these kids mentally as the CCC season is long and hard and if things start to go bad you have very little time to put them right before the next game.

As someone else has said lets have a look after 5-10 games, assess where we are readjust the targets and then take the next 5-10 games. If we are top half by Xmas that will be a good start - we may then be in a position to buy some of the loanees or strengthen if necessary, promotion this year would come very early for most of these kids and it would be interesting to see what the plan is coaching and player wise.

the point is the style, zest and drive that appears to be present in an enthusiastic group of players and laced with what appears to be common sense coaching. Many of us are drunk on their mere presense.. of course we expect the moon, but right now I am ecstatic that this team is even daring to stretch its wings and get off the ground. To then see a few swoops and glides is in short a minor miracle. Metaphor ends...

the point is the style, zest and drive that appears to be present in an enthusiastic group of players and laced with what appears to be common sense coaching. Many of us are drunk on their mere presense.. of course we expect the moon, but right now I am ecstatic that this team is even daring to stretch its wings and get off the ground. To then see a few swoops and glides is in short a minor miracle. Metaphor ends...

Nice analogy. And when they hit the ground, it's us - the hardened old hawks and owls - who need to come down, pick them up and prepare them to fly again!!

(Not sh!t on them from a great height you pigeons - you know who you are!!)

watford started strongly last year, cardiff year before, the season is long

we have 3 points from 9 not exactly a strong start?

I think his point was that both those teams started strongly and were being looked on as near-certainties for promotion (or the play-offs at least) but both failed over the course of the season.

We, on the other hand, have made a less than wonderful start, but have the potential to improve as the season goes on.

Other than that, what the hell's gone wrong with this forum all of a sudden? We seem to have a rash of mass agreement breaking out; frankly, this is difficult to cope with! ;)

We've already had 2 defeats, so I fully expect a few more. It's just the fact we've played in a style that's so good to watch it leaves me pinching myself to check I'm not dreaming. Every game! These boys are doing us so proud, I'm literally bursting with pride!

Now excuse me while I go and fetch the mop.......

100% effort at all times from our 'boys' will more than make up for failings in other areas, areas which I struggle to think of other than experience, some of these 'boys' are in their 20's and strong enough to mix it up if necessary, our style of play is a joy to watch and although the losses have been disappointing the football has not, ensure we learn from those mistakes that cost us late in the game, convert the chances we create in front of goal and a string of results will follow, simple really, isn't it ?

Our lads are inexperienced true but in footballing terms they aren't,in the main, all that young. Plenty of 20 year olds are changing hands at 10 million and more in this age of global transfer folly.Unknowns for the most part, one or two good games seems to earn you an instant 10million price tag just now.

Our lads are inexperienced true but in footballing terms they aren't,in the main, all that young. Plenty of 20 year olds are changing hands at 10 million and more in this age of global transfer folly.Unknowns for the most part, one or two good games seems to earn you an instant 10million price tag just now.

Agreed. Kids this, kids that. They are actually men, not boys. Young men, granted, and talented ones at that, but they're not babies!

Trust me, I even enjoyed the losses!!

But the feckless football fan who a fortnight ago was preparing for relegation is now preparing for promotion.

Our lads have won two games and are playing inspired football.

If by some misfortune of refereeing or bad luck we lose to Blackpool, let's take it on the chin and chalk it up to education and experience.

And if we win, let's treat triumph and disaster just the same, and be a bit more manly about it...

There's no harm dreaming and aspiring, but there is harm in lumping pressure on young shoulders to deliver it.

Yes you are right for some reason the expectations of a number of fans is too high and has always been so in the last few years.

When we were in the Premiership fans were expecting unrealistically large iinvestment to take us into the top six.

I shall be happy if we finish in the top 15 and move on next season.

Fans will moan when the young players who have excelled move to larger clubs but hopefully the system will bring others into the first team squad.

A win Saturday would make it 2/2 in league results which are what matter.

23wins is 69 points which would be a great achievement.

Sorry to say i am ignoring the 2 cup wins because the pressure is on league results.

Still signs are promising but our financial position may mean that players who perform could be tempted away in January.

So the bigger the crowds the better , tyro kids for a quid plus the £5 they spend on drink/food etc should be promoted.

I will always support Saints, and can see the rationale for not getting too excited and raising expectations....but why not?

Those who aim for the top are more likely to be there or there abouts than those aiming for mid table mediocrity! The players have already shown what tehy are capable of, as has the manager. They should fear no one, and go for it. I too don't expect them to win all the matches, but I see NO reason why I shouldn't desire, expect and hope that Saints should be in pole position by Jan 1st.

Burley aimed for mediocrity and we sure got it! Winners aim to win and I think JP has got it!!!

Its a fair point but Ithink there are very few that Expect our young team to go on and walk the league. Most I think ave basically said if we can play the whole season like the last couple of games or better Then we would walk the league. Which I dont think many can argue with.

How many of us can see us playing this well through the whole season?????? Not many is my guess and the only pressure from us on our team is to avoid being in the bottom 3 come the end of the season. Anything higher and most of us will be happy.

Should we find the scoring touch that does justice to the chances then it will be the team that raises the bar of expectation and wil allow us to dream of the promised land. :D

There is certainly one major difference I feel about this team over anything last season. Last season there were times when I was aware that saturday or a match day was looming, and instead of looking forward to it, I was absolutely dreading it. This season, the moment the Lads come off the pitch, I want them to be playing the next match. Now if that isn't a looking-forward-to-the-next-game/can't-wait attitude, I don't know what is.

There is certainly one major difference I feel about this team over anything last season. Last season there were times when I was aware that saturday or a match day was looming, and instead of looking forward to it, I was absolutely dreading it. This season, the moment the Lads come off the pitch, I want them to be playing the next match. Now if that isn't a looking-forward-to-the-next-game/can't-wait attitude, I don't know what is.

Me too!

Saturdays league game will be very interesting because we are playing a side we should be capable of beating' date=' other than Exeter , for the first time.[/quote']

Let's face it, any CCC side that signs Jermaine Wright are effectively saying "we're going to be in a relegation battle"! How the likes of Wright and Euell were ahead of Gillett, a player I've always rated, is beyond me. Ironically, Blackpool tried to sign Gillett last year after a successful loan spell so it could have been even worse! Thankfully that's one ****-up even Burley didn't make. Can't believe I came on here and defended Burley last season.

Last year expectations were so low - only a couple of games worth watching at SMS, the rest dross. Came away from a 1-0 game against Cardiff thinking we were absolute crap and that our football wasn't worth watching anymore.

Now there is some hope of a decent performance with new players who may have a bright future, not cast offs who are never going to get better. Isn't this the way it should be? Last year, no-one who went to games could surely believe we were going to succeed in escaping the CCC (except through the trap door). This year at least we can see the possibility of improvement and team building.

Fair point that they are young and that they are still learning. Although I am not drawing a direct comparison, what was the average age of the Man Utd team that won the Champions League/Premiership in 1999? Was it a lot less/more than ours now?

Agreed. Kids this, kids that. They are actually men, not boys. Young men, granted, and talented ones at that, but they're not babies!

Aye, but in racing parlons they are 'novices'.

The fact they are 20 is neither here nor there - they haven't seen the fences yet!!

And yes, they've bolted up at Chepstow, but Cheltenham and Aintree with stiff fences and a roaring crowd and a howling gale is a different story....

Like many on here - I seriously believe that we should target the top.

But there will be slip-ups and it is VITAL we do not turn on the players and create the type of scapegoat we have had in seasons past because of our inate need to BLAME someone.

Things will go wrong, things will go right.

But throughout, WE control how WE feel about it.

So my plea is purely that if Blackpool fluke a 90th minute winner after we have hit the post ten times, had a man sent off in error, whatever, we retain a LONG-TERM view.

These are indeed exciting times. But many's the slip twixt cup and lip...

Calm serenity on the outside, glowing with pride inside. ;)

Last year expectations were so low - only a couple of games worth watching at SMS, the rest dross. Came away from a 1-0 game against Cardiff thinking we were absolute crap and that our football wasn't worth watching anymore...

Blimey. I was at that game and thought we were OK'ish. Just shows how low my expectations were. ;)

This was excellent though:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sA6jfxxQt-o

I still think we'll experience a number of lows, especially towards the end of the season when old legs grow weary and young legs take over, but the early signs are very promising.Games like Blackpool on Saturday should be our bread and butter 3 points. Should be...

It's going to be tough but I for one will not be getting on their backs if things start to go wrong - it takes a long time to learn your trade but I believe that with jan the man they will get the right support and guidance - the rest is upto them - the signs so far are very encouraging. Blackpool on sat will be interesting we've done well against good opposition so far, Blackpool will play a style that will be hard to break down but we have the pace and style that should overcome them.

Ain't it great to be feeling positive!

So what you are saying is, even if the team play poorly on Saturday and fail in some manner (e.g. defensive nightmares), we are not allowed to post anything that criticises the team in any manner whatsoever?

Come on - get real - this is football...not some mummsy little boys tea party. Part of the joy of the game is to have some banter on the pros and cons. Doesn't mean we love the team/club any less does it? It's just banter on a footie forum FFS - enjoy it for what it is and stop being so PC and authoritarian. IMO.

It seems to me that the important issue here is that the team is playing with some style. That mixed with a passion (and some guile from our older players) should see a pleasant season compared to recent years when we lost game after game with little or no style or passion.

Let's give these young men time, let's not expect the earth, mid table will make me happy this time out.

Let's support them.

So what you are saying is, even if the team play poorly on Saturday and fail in some manner (e.g. defensive nightmares), we are not allowed to post anything that criticises the team in any manner whatsoever?

Come on - get real - this is football...not some mummsy little boys tea party. Part of the joy of the game is to have some banter on the pros and cons. Doesn't mean we love the team/club any less does it? It's just banter on a footie forum FFS - enjoy it for what it is and stop being so PC and authoritarian. IMO.

No you numpty.

What am I saying is stop behaving like the moronic gutter press that now dominates English life.

For the past three weeks this messageboard has read like the Sun:

"We're doomed, relegation awaits, sack the board"

"We're world beaters, we're going to the win the league, Jan is the next Fergie..."

Well neither of these extremes bares any relation to reality. But thankfully between the bleating is an occasional shepherd...

No you numpty.

What am I saying is stop behaving like the moronic gutter press that now dominates English life.

"We're world beaters, we're going to the win the league, Jan is the next Fergie..."

Well neither of these extremes bares any relation to reality. But thankfully between the bleating is an occasional shepherd...

I agree,

Its just a shame so many threads are started by some posters with little digs at other fans.

All seem to be I told you so or have this political slant.

Lowe this Lowe that.

I agree,

Its just a shame so many threads are started by some posters with little digs at other fans.

Lowe this Lowe that.

Here Here, it's like if Saints win Charles Sale from the Mail is on here (Rupert's mate) or if we lose it's "hang Lowe outside the Bargate" on a Saturday night. It's a game, and somewhere inbetween would be optimum!

I agree,

Lowe this Lowe that.

AGREED maybe the word Lowe should automatically make a post closed

No, no. Couldn't we have an alternative like in the old days when someone typed 'scummer'...

Any ideas??

I'll start: "Cheese Rolling Toff"...

no i just want to ignore the guy , i want him gone but i want the team to be successful more.

Problem is his little supporters club on here have to mention his name in every post.

The guy at present is doing a good job BUT IMO a job any competent businessman could do under the pressure from the bank

No you numpty.

"you numpty" - nice...by writing that you are as responsible for the infantile postings on here as anyone else!

As it happens, I agree that there are some that sway between despair and elation regularly on here and it is comical. I also happen to believe that providing they are not hurting me physically they have a right to their opinion whether I like it or not and do not need you or anyone else for that matter telling them they're wrong.

In terms of the Sun - as much as I despise that type of journalism - they write that way to reflect the mindset of their readers....it really is that contrived. If more people started to buy the Telegraph they would switch styles in an instant because they want to maximise sales.

"you numpty" - nice...by writing that you are as responsible for the infantile postings on here as anyone else!

As it happens, I agree that there are some that sway between despair and elation regularly on here and it is comical. I also happen to believe that providing they are not hurting me physically they have a right to their opinion whether I like it or not and do not need you or anyone else for that matter telling them they're wrong.

In terms of the Sun - as much as I despise that type of journalism - they write that way to reflect the mindset of their readers....it really is that contrived. If more people started to buy the Telegraph they would switch styles in an instant because they want to maximise sales.

Numpty,Cam, is a term of endearment! If I wanted to be infantile I would have plumped for something like... doesn't matter... my apologies if I offended your sensitivities.

You're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just like people are entitled to believe the moon is made of Gorgonzola for all I care.

But the mindset on here betrays a lack of people applying logic and common sense to recent results. That's great when we're winning.

But when we hit our first rocky patch, watch as the crowds drop again and the knives come out.

As for the Sun, yes they simply reflect the facile, celeb-hungry society which depresses me far beyond any performance I have ever seen on a football pitch! But once, it was the duty of the media to report the news and set standards or belief and behaviour not simply to appeal to the lowest common denominator...

What people often fail to see is the way the media build up their heroes in false accord, simply waiting to hammer them at the first sign of failure. This is how they create demand for their papers. I bet right now they're going through Chris Hoy's bins just praying that he might have had dinner with an old girlfriend, or maybe that he's in the closet... It's pathetic.

And what galls me is that so many posters' opinions of the team (OUR team) will be based 5% on what people actually see and consider on the pitch, and 95% on their own inert desire for success or failure, or attitude towars the Chairman.

Those of us who watched us play Celtic, West Ham and Birmingham (I) could tell you these were good lads, trying good things with a good manager behind them.

But they WILL lose and when they do I hope people remember that!