Database issues unacceptable

hypochondriac

Completely agree to be honest. I think the £5 fees should all be kept back to spend on a more powerful server.

"kept back"...?

I thought the fiver was supposed to be used to upgrade the infrastructure in the first place? What else would it be used for...?

This is getting stupid, match days and transfer deadline day, as the only times it is worth coming on here, and sod all works.... it will be the same tomorrow night!! Had a reminder just a few days ago to pay my £5!! Made me laugh!

What I fail to understand is why the 'service' can't be restricted to paid up members at busy times?

One can sort of accept the "we're looking into it" response everytime there is a problem but the lack of proactive remedial action (I.e. Chopping off non-members at busy times) is what one can't understand...

No doubt one of more socially retarded mods will come on in a minute and say this should go in the Technolgy sub-forum or something. Y'know, one of the really popular sub-forums.

Last time this happened the excuse was peddled that it was due to people posting pictures on a match thread.... hmm, really?

"kept back"...?

I thought the fiver was supposed to be used to upgrade the infrastructure in the first place? What else would it be used for...?

There have been a few minor updates as well as the major one (upgrade to Vbulletin) since the fee was brought in.

In all honesty i'm just speculating here - I don't really have a clue exactly what the money gets spent on.

Anyone remember what the record amount of people online at once was? It peaked at around 800 about an hour ago.

There have been a few minor updates as well as the major one (upgrade to Vbulletin) since the fee was brought in.

In all honesty i'm just speculating here - I don't really have a clue exactly what the money gets spent on.

Anyone remember what the record amount of people online at once was? It peaked at around 800 about an hour ago.

Do you (as a mod) have access to the forum facility that allows you to restrict different user id categories to access the forum at any moment in time? If not, why not?

All we need is some proactivity here: forum gets busy - mod flicks a config setting to block non-members....

Even I agree with Hypochondriac, and I think he's a complete tool.

I don't like having my money taken as payment for a service which is then not provided. I have made contact with my lawyers:

http://www.lamportbassitt.co.uk/

Lamport Bassitt

46 The Avenue, Southampton SO17 1AX

Telephone: 023 8083 7777

I would urge others to do the same.

If you're not happy with this firm, then choose another, if you don't have your own already:

http://www.hampshirelawsociety.co.uk/lawyer-southampton.asp

Do you (as a mod) have access to the forum facility that allows you to restrict different user id categories to access the forum at any moment in time? If not, why not?

All we need is some proactivity here: forum gets busy - mod flicks a config setting to block non-members....

Pretty sure I don't tbh, and if I do it's well hidden.

I'll bring it up with the admin - blocking non-members on matchdays as a rule might be a good idea. It's worth noting though that out of the 700-odd people online at the mo, only 100 are not signed up.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

I don't like having my money taken as payment for a service which is then not provided. I have made contact with my lawyers:

Lamport Bassitt

If you're not happy with this firm, then choose another, if you don't have your own already:

I hope you get your 5 quid back.

Edited by Cascadia Saint

I'd happily pay a tenner anyway, if you think about is £5 is nothing. I understand that there are thousands of free forums out there, but I prefer this one. If the money could be put to good use (i.e. a new server) then i'd say it's a bargain.

Problem is, the more you charge, the less people will sign up, and the quality of the banter will disappear and therefore it wont be as much fun to come on - and therefore knock on with even less people coming on here - its a vicious circle. There are thousands of forums that are free and do not crash, I see no reason why this cant be addressed, they get enough money from every-ones 'fivers' to fund a decent server that can hold traffic.

What I fail to understand is why the 'service' can't be restricted to paid up members at busy times?

One can sort of accept the "we're looking into it" response everytime there is a problem but the lack of proactive remedial action (I.e. Chopping off non-members at busy times) is what one can't understand...

wasn't that what was supposed to happen?

Poor.

Getting very fed up with this site crashing everytime more than five people come on here.I dont mind paying to be a member,but is it too much to expect some sort of normal service?Im not having a go at anyone and i appreciate all of the hard work the mods do on here,but i am seriously considering not renewing anymore.

Lamport Bassitt

Have to agree, I bought a sandwich once which failed to fulfil my hunger at the time (lunchtime), and also contacted my lawyers with a view to suing the newsagent from which I bought it.

Apologies, and for the record, I completely agree with all of you.

For me, this is the final straw for this current server set up, we've tried, tweaked and amended as much as we can, and for some reason, even on slightly lesser busy days like today, it just can't cut it.

We have a "plan b" which involves a COMPLETE move of the site to new hosting (for the techies out there, Cloud hosting so we can increase nodes on the fly, up to 60 seconds from order).

Me and Steve have discussed this before, but now I think its time for it to happen.

Wont be changing any look and feel. I'm quite happy with how things are aesthetically at the moment, even tho some of you arent. Lets get this server working properly on new hosting, then open that up for debate, but don't get your hopes up.

For me, this is the final straw for this current server set up, we've tried, tweaked and amended as much as we can, and for some reason, even on slightly lesser busy days like today, it just can't cut it.

We have a "plan b" which involves a COMPLETE move of the site to new hosting (for the techies out there, Cloud hosting so we can increase nodes on the fly, up to 60 seconds from order).

Me and Steve have discussed this before, but now I think its time for it to happen.

Sweet. Think i spoke to Steve bout that a while back. Cloud is the future......apparently

that maybe a good answer - but I have no idea!

mods,

i've not paid, but i helped set up some cloud serving with automatic up and down scaling for http://www.goalrun.com and also migrated foootball.mitoo onto new servers (that gets 80,000 concurrent sessions on a sunday), so pm me if you want any help / advice or the name of an excellent php chap in bournmouth.

if you can't pm it's jim.herbert at sceneric dot com