Arsenal 6 - 1 Saints - Post Match Reaction

Saint_clark

Guest flickjax

I thought we played some reasonable football at times again, Ramirez looks good. Defence and keeper very shaky and Arsenal did their homework on us and denied us space and they had Rickie in their pocket.

The first half was as bad as we have played this season. If we start that off the pace at Arsenal, then it's game over very, very early. Which was the case.

We showed promise in the 2nd half, but it was all too late.

Defensively we're not great, there's no denying that. The goals we conceded today were, on the whole, lower-league quality goals. We've got to be doing better than that, otherwise we'll be doing a Derby.

But it's only 4 games, we've got this hellish start out of the way. It's done. Put to bed.

But, we now need to get points on the board - starting next week. If we get beaten by Villa, then something is horribly wrong - but I think we'll be ok in that one.

It's going to be a **** week building up to that though, let's be honest.

Thought the centre backs did ok. KD should have done better with the 2nd, and we either need to board up the near post, or get another keeper.

JWP was class and Ramirez looked good but we have to start defending the flanks better. Thought JyRod looked much better up the middle.

Gordon or Boruc on a free please.

Utter utter ******* ****e with mOre ****e on top just about sums it up! Thought ward prowse looks an exciting Prospect that's about the only bright point. Adkins needs to act fast!

He had his chance to act in the summer. Now it's a case of lying in the bed he has made.

Agree with people that we look to have some good attacking options, but any team in this league is going to fancy scoring against us. Going to be a long hard winter methinks.

Trouble is, after the last two seasons we arent used to this. Better get acclimatized I suppose.

It was always going to be like that, a bolt out of the blue for some. I'm honestly surprised at our first half display though. Arsenal didn't really need to play that well, we handed it to them on a plate along with knives and forks. Not sure what we've been working on in training over the last 2 weeks if that's a result of our defensive work (as we spent a few days just on defensive shape)

Shocking decision by Adkins to leave Guly out, we could have won if he had played.

It feels like a lot of people on here must be relatively new at supporting Saints, judging by their reactions. We had a crap game and lost 6-1, well I never did, seem to recall we lost 7-1 to Arse just before the FA Cup Final. **** happens, life goes on.

It was always going to be like that, a bolt out of the blue for some. I'm honestly surprised at our first half display though. Arsenal didn't really need to play that well, we handed it to them on a plate along with knives and forks. Not sure what we've been working on in training over the last 2 weeks if that's a result of our defensive work (as we spent a few days just on defensive shape)

Difficult to work on much with half the team away on international waste of time duty.

Shocking decision by Adkins to leave Guly out, we could have won if he had played.

It feels like a lot of people on here must be relatively new at supporting Saints, judging by their reactions. We had a crap game and lost 6-1, well I never did, seem to recall we lost 7-1 to Arse just before the FA Cup Final. **** happens, life goes on.

Wasn't that one 6-1 as well?

Pennent and Pires hat-tricks IIRC? on a weekday evening.

depressing reading everyone's views that the FA Cup final would be the same.

haha true...we were always good for an away spanking at times lol

We didn't deserve that spanking. Sometimes football punches you in the balls. I know others will disagree but I think today was a mixture of a some bad luck (two own goals and what looked like an injury to Jos inside 30 minutes) and being outclassed by a better side.

Lost the first half in midfield, not defence (although the own goals by defenders didn't help). We were overrun and didn't close down - not an easy criticism of any team facing Arsenal.

Second half was much better in spells but still a lot of work to do.

Yoshida saved Fox's bacon against AOC a couple of times.

Ramirez good in spells, looks calm on the ball.

Santi Cazorla is the best buy of the transfer window bar none.

Can I be the first to say this is all......................... Guly's fault

We didn't deserve that spanking. Sometimes football punches you in the balls. I know others will disagree but I think today was a mixture of a some bad luck (two own goals and what looked like an injury to Jos inside 30 minutes) and being outclassed by a better side.

Nothing to do with bad luck, we deserved that spanking based on that first half. It was only a matter of time.

Well, four games in and we've already played what I think will be the top 3 at the end of the season.

Zero points (no surprise) and -7 on goal difference (others, I suspect, will do worse.)

Our midfield played far too deep in the first half, much better in the second.

Fonte looked better - even more so for having Yoshida alongside him.

I'd be inclined to play Yoshida at LB because Fox is constantly done for pace, seldom goal-side, and he ball-watches. Our middle two continually have to cover for his inadequacies which pulls us out of shape, and that makes us vulnerable down the other flank.

And Kelvin was not at all good again today - his positioning for the free kick was pitiful.

2nd half a bit better but still not good enough. I can take getting beat but we beat ourselves today.

3.5 goals conceded average per game says it all, cannot believe we didn't strengthen more at the back, I think it will cost us ultimately. Hope I'm wrong.

Early days yes, but villa is must win. Honestly lose that and I can only see one result for Nigel.

15 goals leaked is far too worrying for me regardless of who we have played in our first few games,this needs to be addressed but I don't think we have the players to rectify it.

If we are still in the bottom three come January and it looks like there is a good chance we will get relegated then cortese will not put his hand in his pocket and spend big as there is too much risk.

The most important thing is to remain in this league and anybody who says otherwise needs their head examined IMO.