FBs vs Spuds IF Shaw is still injured

Minsk

With Fox now being banned for the remainder of the season and some doubt over Shaw, due to the knock he picked up last week, who would you go with in the fullback positions against Spuds on Saturday?

Some possible options:

1. LB Targett; RB Clyne

2. LB Yoshida; RB Clyne

3. LB Forren; RB Clyne

4. LB Jos; RB Clyne

5. LB Clyne; RB Richardson

6. LB Clyne; RB Cork

7. LB Clyne; RB Yoshida

Any other possibilities? (Apart from Burleyesque ones like: LB Guly; RB Rickie).

Personally, I would like to see 1 - Targett given his debut but also wouldn't mind 5 or 6, although the latter would weaken our midfield.

In another thread Monk said in training MP was working with a CB pairing of Forren and Yoshida. One would think this was with this weekend in my mind, not for next season. Whilst this would give no indication as to his choice of LB I hope it isn't Jos, who he moved there for the last few minutes against WBA.

Mods, maybe a poll?

Tis wold be my line up

------------------Boruc

----------------Yoshida

-----------Fonte-----------Hooliveld

Clyne----------------------------------------Mayuka

------------Cork---------------Morgan

Chaplow--------------------------Guly

----------------Lambert

As it looks 1-2-2-2-2-1

Keep them narrow, two quick full backs getting forward and wide whipping the crosses in. Mayuka has played wide in the past so I think he could do a job at left back tracking the runs of their wide men and also giving them something to think about themselves with his pace on the break, I'd give Chaplow a man to man marking Job on Bale whenever he gets into our half, with his bite it'll stop his runs and space he gets. I'd have Yoshida as sweeper for when Defoe outpaces Hooliveld as we needed a sweeper on Saturday given how our defence was taken apart and he is the best man for the job. Sit deep, 10 men behind the ball, with th long ball into the mixer with Guly or Mayuka when he breaks forward at pace picking up the knock downs from Lamberts flicks.

He's training today.

Shaw? Nice one.... next question is.... do we play a "not quite fit" Shaw vs Spurs (with the danger he may have a relapse and be out for the last two games) or do we wait until he's fully fit for the last two games.

Given the game we're least likely to get points from (on paper) is the Spurs game, there would be some logic in not rushing him back but, conversely, if Shaw being in the team increases our chances of a result vs Spurs then it won't matter if he's crocked for the remaining two games so much coz a point at Spurs should be enough...

I'm beginning to realise why I'm not a football manager....

Think I'd pick either Clyne LB Richardson RB, or Clyne RB Jos LB (with Fonte in the middle if they don't think Forren is ready) - and if they don't think Forren is ready they're hardly likely to think Targett is.

I wouldn't ever pick Cork at RB as I think he's been awful there and Richardson is at least a right back. Not keen on moving Yoshida out wide as he's not played well there either, and both of them are better in their first choice positions, assuming Cork's even fit.

On balance, I think Clyne RB, Jos LB and Fonte/Forren in the middle with Yoshida.

If Shaw's fit, him, if he's half fit, see above.

Tis wold be my line up

------------------Boruc

----------------Yoshida

----------------Lambert

As it looks 1-2-2-2-2-1

Keep them narrow, two quick full backs getting forward and wide whipping the crosses in. Mayuka has played wide in the past so I think he could do a job at left back tracking the runs of their wide men and also giving them something to think about themselves with his pace on the break, I'd give Chaplow a man to man marking Job on Bale whenever he gets into our half, with his bite it'll stop his runs and space he gets. I'd have Yoshida as sweeper for when Defoe outpaces Hooliveld as we needed a sweeper on Saturday given how our defence was taken apart and he is the best man for the job. Sit deep, 10 men behind the ball, with th long ball into the mixer with Guly or Mayuka when he breaks forward at pace picking up the knock downs from Lamberts flicks.

Anyone ? :D

Think I'd pick either Clyne LB Richardson RB, or Clyne RB Jos LB (with Fonte in the middle if they don't think Forren is ready) - and if they don't think Forren is ready they're hardly likely to think Targett is.

I wouldn't ever pick Cork at RB as I think he's been awful there and Richardson is at least a right back. Not keen on moving Yoshida out wide as he's not played well there either, and both of them are better in their first choice positions, assuming Cork's even fit.

On balance, I think Clyne RB, Jos LB and Fonte/Forren in the middle with Yoshida.

If Shaw's fit, him, if he's half fit, see above.

So your plan is to put Jos "Captain Slow" Hooiveld up against Lennon. A cunning plan if ever I saw one.

So your plan is to put Jos "Captain Slow" Hooiveld up against Lennon. A cunning plan if ever I saw one.

Assuming Lennon is fit. There are other ways of dealing with that, eg playing someone like Steven Davis left mid to help out. There is a reason I think we're going to lose...

Tis wold be my line up

------------------Boruc

----------------Yoshida

----------------Lambert

As it looks 1-2-2-2-2-1

:) Cheers Craig! :)

P.S. When did Chappers come back from his loan Millwall?

Assuming Lennon is fit. There are other ways of dealing with that, eg playing someone like Steven Davis left mid to help out. There is a reason I think we're going to lose...

Lennon played 17 minutes last game, unless he had a reaction think he'll be fit. Agree with you that I think we will lose as well.

I want to see Clyne Vs Bale on the right. Although if we start like that then Bale will probably move to the left.

Rather have the least amount of players out of position as possible. We miss Cork too much when he's not in the middle. Keep him there.

Bale usually plays more through the middle these days.

:) Cheers Craig! :)

P.S. When did Chappers come back from his loan Millwall?

Is he? Damn, that ruins the game plan then. Luckily we've still got Mayukas pace as an attacking full back to worry them. honestly think he can be converted into our the Zambian Daniel Alves.

he is training today.

Training is not playing in matches, you can train with some injuries that wouldn't stand up to the rigours of a match.

Something not quite right about the Shaw situation. Not sure what his exact contract status is. Could it be that a player on a youth contract can only play some sort of pre-fixed maximum time in first team matches ?

Training is not playing in matches, you can train with some injuries that wouldn't stand up to the rigours of a match.

Something not quite right about the Shaw situation. Not sure what his exact contract status is. Could it be that a player on a youth contract can only play some sort of pre-fixed maximum time in first team matches ?

No - it is far more likely that the same strong physical characteristics which are enabling him to play Premier League football at the age of 17 are also causing him to often get injured which can be attributed to the level and amount of training he is undertaking while his body is still growing considerably (and will do so for the next 5 years). It's something that will need to be managed over the next few years.

Don't think so, it would be common knowledge if there was a standard youth contract clause like that.

If his injury was severe enough to put him out of our last 3 games, I doubt there would be much benefit in making him train with an injury.

If he doesn't feature against Spurs, I would expect him to be back for the Sunderland game.

Bale usually plays more through the middle these days.

it will be interesting to see if Bale can outpace Morgan. Not seen a quicker central midfielder this season. I actually think Morgan will be able to stay with him. What a great battle that can be so long as don't leave Morgan exposed.

Don't think so, it would be common knowledge if there was a standard youth contract clause like that.

If his injury was severe enough to put him out of our last 3 games, I doubt there would be much benefit in making him train with an injury.

If he doesn't feature against Spurs, I would expect him to be back for the Sunderland game.

Probably not then but there are changes in the system for young players. Something like elite professional player pathway. Means Under 18s can be acquired by otrher clubs at a fixed fee depending on the length of time they've been in an academy and the level reached during that time. Read it all in a piece about Matt Targett the other day.

Wouldn't say he's particularly fast, I would just say Morgan is quite good at anticipating whats going to happen, therefore he gets a bit of a head-start. I've seen loads of players get away from Morgan and don't expect Bale to have many problems in that regard. Morgan normally just fouls them early and escapes yellows sometimes.

Wouldn't say he's particularly fast, I would just say Morgan is quite good at anticipating whats going to happen, therefore he gets a bit of a head-start. I've seen loads of players get away from Morgan and don't expect Bale to have many problems in that regard. Morgan normally just fouls them early and escapes yellows sometimes.

He is pretty fast, see the distance he got back to put in a last ditch tackle (where Jos should have been) on Saturday ?

Evidently as the game wears on and the box to box shuttling takes it's toll he might lose a yard or two.

No way is Targett ready to start a first team game. Play Forren left back (a left footed defender playing left back) and leave Clyne where he is best, he'll be needed to deal with Bale.

centre backs played out wide tend to get made to look like mugs.

Out of interest does Targett have pace?

He is pretty fast, see the distance he got back to put in a last ditch tackle (where Jos should have been) on Saturday ?

Evidently as the game wears on and the box to box shuttling takes it's toll he might lose a yard or two.

Our team is always covering where our defence are meant to be ! :lol:

get matt taggert in at lb. why not, people thought shaw might not be ready and he most certainly was. He was retweeting on twitter people saying he should play against spurs. rather have him then a cb playing out of position which has always been a disaster this season. not expected to get anything at WHL, nothing to lose, give him a go MP.

Could it be that a player on a youth contract can only play some sort of pre-fixed maximum time in first team matches ?

The long answer to this is "no".

There is nothing odd about the Shaw situation other than that he is illness and injury prone. Too many visits to Nandos may be the reason for the illness IMHO.

get matt taggert in at lb. why not, people thought shaw might not be ready and he most certainly was. He was retweeting on twitter people saying he should play against spurs. rather have him then a cb playing out of position which has always been a disaster this season. not expected to get anything at WHL, nothing to lose, give him a go MP.

"People" did think Shaw might not be ready, yes, and he wasn't based on his performance in the Stevenage match - but the manager obviously gets to see more than just that one occasion and is in a better position to judge.

The difference here is that we're not getting the "Targett is ready" noises, if anything we've been getting the opposite, much as "people" are keen to see him.

I think "chuck him in, nothing to play for" rather underestimates the size of the task he'd be facing and the possible impact on his career - which is not to say Sunderland away or Stoke home would be better.

Tis wold be my line up

------------------Boruc

----------------Yoshida

----------------Lambert

As it looks 1-2-2-2-2-1

most of that look OK ....Turkish....(.but Chaplow had an injury - hence return before seasons end)...but would you really leave out Rodriguez?

Clyne at LB, Richardson at RB. That was what we changed to at half time, being 1-0 down to Aston Villa at home, having lost our previous four and it ended up with a 4-1 win (including a goal for Clyne).

Agreed, and to be frank on that day Clyne looked better at LB than he sometimes does at RB. That was one of his best performances, and Frazer did not let us down either.