David "Docker" Walker RIP 1941-2015

Fitzhugh Fella

Those of a certain vintage will be saddened to hear of the passing of David Walker, Saints defender between 1965 and 1974, after a short illness. Dave made 231 appearances in the red and white and really was the epitome of the no holds barred, no nonsense, take no prisoners style of defending and was a fully paid up member of the Dell "alehouse footballers" club that so endeared themselves to Bill Shankly in the early 70s. A Lancashire lad he joined us from Burnley in time to play his part in our promotion to the top flight in 1966 and his family still have the engraved Omega watch he was given by the club in recognition. Dark and swarthy, with Harry H Corbett sideboards he was an imposing wing half who was nicknamed "Docker" by the fans for reasons lost in the mist of time. Like many tough guys on the pitch, a more pleasant, intelligent man off it, would be hard to find and after hanging up his boots he dabbled in the antique trade and ran a B and B in the New Forest. A true 60s giant.

Those of a certain vintage will be saddened to hear of the passing of David Walker, Saints defender between 1965 and 1974, after a short illness. Dave made 231 appearances in the red and white and really was the epitome of the no holds barred, no nonsense, take no prisoners style of defending and was a fully paid up member of the Dell "alehouse footballers" club that so endeared themselves to Bill Shankly in the early 70s. A Lancashire lad he joined us from Burnley in time to play his part in our promotion to the top flight in 1966 and his family still have the engraved Omega watch he was given by the club in recognition. Dark and swarthy, with Harry H Corbett sideboards he was an imposing wing half who was nicknamed "Docker" by the fans for reasons lost in the mist of time. Like many tough guys on the pitch, a more pleasant, intelligent man off it, would be hard to find and after hanging up his boots he dabbled in the antique trade and ran a B and B in the New Forest. A true 60s giant.

I'm named after him. True story.

Sad to hear that news, FF.

As you say, David Walker was a member of the famous Ale House Brawlers, yet I recall that – somewhat paradoxically, perhaps – he spent at least one summer staying at Quarr Abbey monastery retreat on the Isle of Wight. I would love to know whether this is true or not.

An iconic legend along with Jimmy Gabriel and Big John McGrath.

A true member of the legendary "Alehouse Brawlers".

I shall remember him with great fondness as lacking the requisite skills to be creative, I modelled my game on him.

Regrettably he has left us early as have some other notable ex-Saints.

If he had played today I can imagine the ref saying to him in the tunnel:

"Is it really worth you coming on the pitch or shall I red card you now?"

(To paraphrase one of my old PeterSymonds GS schoolmasters sayings.-Original-"Is it worth you bothering to sit down boy, or shall I throw you out now?"

Part of the first saints team I watched back in the 60's

RIP Dave

Same here ... he was in the starting X1 my 1st ever game, our 1st ever Top League game in 1966 at The Dell v Man City!!

A bit of a cult hero due to his uncompromising style!! An early version of Franny Benali if you like.

He featured in an article run by Nick on The Ugly site a few years ago, about Players some of our younger support will never have heard of. One of the replies lends credence to The Monastry reference!!

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/18385/saints-players-you-have-never-heard-of-part-13--david-docker-walker

RIP Big Man.

Possibly the first player to wear a squad number? Remember him wearing the no. 10 shirt in the 68/69 season, despite playing centre-half, when it was usually worn by an inside forward.

As Duncan says, he was nothing like his on field image. I last met him in the 1980's when he came to the insurance office I worked at, to sort out his daughter's motor claim. He was embarrassed that I recognised him, but stayed for ages telling us about his "battles" with Summerbee and others.

Same here ... he was in the starting X1 my 1st ever game, our 1st ever Top League game in 1966 at The Dell v Man City!!

I was another of those glory hunters whose first game that was! That line up was the mainstay of my subutteo team for many years. God bless. RIP Dave.

A bit of a cult hero due to his uncompromising style!! An early version of Franny Benali if you like.

He featured in an article run by Nick on The Ugly site a few years ago, about Players some of our younger support will never have heard of.

One of the replies lends credence to The Monastry reference!!

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/18385/saints-players-you-have-never-heard-of-part-13--david-docker-walker

RIP Big Man.

I certainly remember his playing days ....and " the Monastry story ". I'm pretty sure the Echo did an interview with him about it.

whilst some sarcastic fan suggested .. he was doing penance for his "sins" " :lol:....he said that he appreciated the stillness and the chance to contemplate life.

Never the most skilful player, but as a " no-nonsense defender "........ HDAJFU for several seasons. RIP.

Oh no, that is sad. I was very pleased a few weeks back when a colleague told me that Dave sometimes went to an auction at Minstead. I asked him to get Dave to come and visit me at my business to meet up again after a few years.

His stories about Shankley etc were so entertaining

RIP Dave a really modest man

Very sad news. Saw him play many times along with John McGrath, Joe Kirkup, and Denis Hollywood at the back. As many say he was a seriously uncompromising defender and seems to have been very different from his playing image. I remember the bit about the retreat in the monastery being reported at the time. RIP "Docker".

My abiding memory of Docker was in a Saints win at White Hart Lane. I think we won 3-1 and I think it was around 1969.

He proved that he was a man of impeccable timing By stepping in front of a rampaging Cyril Knowles and adjusting his shoulder sufficiently to perform the perfect body check and use Knowles' own momentum to propel him across the running track, over the wall and into the crowd.

It took several minutes to fish Knowles out and he looked decidedly wobbly as he gingerly made his way back on to the pitch.

Strangely enough, he did not make too many more rampaging runs down the flank that day.

Sad news RIP..........

The name "Docker" started on the Milton Road terraces in a game against WBA in 1967-68 when some one said he's a real Docker.......so the chant started.....I think he scored the equalizer the dockers union had a load of members then.....

Thank you Docker for the many happy hours I spent watching you and your equally uncompromising colleagues in Saints' colours from about 1966 onwards. Some of it was eye-watering but it was always a pleasure. Great servant.

An iconic legend along with Jimmy Gabriel and Big John McGrath.

A true member of the legendary "Alehouse Brawlers".

I shall remember him with great fondness as lacking the requisite skills to be creative, I modelled my game on him.

Regrettably he has left us early as have some other notable ex-Saints.

If he had played today I can imagine the ref saying to him in the tunnel:

"Is it really worth you coming on the pitch or shall I red card you now?"(To paraphrase one of my old PeterSymonds GS schoolmasters sayings.-Original-"Is it worth you bothering to sit down boy, or shall I throw you out now?"

I beg to differ somewhat- he was strong, not the quickest, but I don't remember him ever being crude or nastily dirty, unlike many other defenders around at that time. A pretty honest pro as I recall. Gabriel on the other hand could be ... well .... different.

Thanks Duncan.

I remember Docker wearing the number 10 shirt playing at middle of back four, never seen in those days with shirt number 10 playing in the back four!

Saw him at antiques show with a stall in Guildhall back in 90s.

Another Saints legend.

Received this email:

Thank you all for your kind comments and especially memories of my Dad playing at Southampton Football Club. These words are a great source of comfort for us as a family. We are very proud of our father and he was very proud to play for Southampton.

Thank you for the memories.

Vivien Walker, daughter.

RIP Docker i grew up watching him a great pro,his son used to drink in testwood club and one christmas brought his old man down we had a great few hours listening to his stories

wish i could remember them unfortunately several beers were consumed as you do! top man

Sad news RIP

First team for my saints career...Docker, McGrath, Hollywood, Gabriel, not sure they would stay on the field long these days. Heroes for me.

Ale house football! Liverpool always seemed to beat us 1-0 away, the joke used to be, no point going just have a raffle to nominate their scorer.

Those were the days.

This was the reason Dave was called "Docker", explanation from Lee, Dave's son

The reason dad was called Docker was due to the fact he would have a drink with the pilot of a tug boat who was a friend and the other Dockers would join in on having a drink, thus the name DOCKER was born.

Have only just seen this - vey sad news.

I was there when he scored his only Saints goal - a late equaliser against West Brom in our first season in Div 1. Gave us a vital point and I can still see him standing in front of the Milton, one arm aloft in celebration.

My most vivid meory of him in action was when he totally wiped out Liverpool's Tommy Smith and sent him crashing to the cinders and into the West stand wall. And then just grinned at him. Anyone old enough to remember Tommy Smith will realise how impressive that was. One of my favourite ever Saints players.

Belated condolences to his family.