Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

It is difficult to grasp this 'wonderfully loyal' Pompey fans spin.

Since 1960 the average League crowd at Fratton park is 14,050 compared to 19,498 here and until 2001/2 Pompey had the larger capacity ground

Incidentally next year Saints will have an all time better average League attendance (from 1920/1) than Pompey.

A contact of mine who is a statistician has some more comparative info is anyone is interested

One interesting snippet is that when Pompey won the League in the early 50's their highest average attendance was 37,082 (1948/9) , in a 50,000 capacity ground!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair, that was terracing, not all seater.

I've spoken to quite a few of the few recently who just want a club to support which is untainted by the past goings on. They accept their punishment as just, in the same way that many Sants fans did when the FL did for us. They would rather start again.

correct, and ensuring chainrai gets Fook All

The football league at least did have the balls to put oin the clause about secured debt, the ground is worth say £5M so that is all that can be bought forward.

I reckon we will be liquidated to be honest, particularly if the players on liquidtion get paid via parachute payments

A phoenix club means no history but aren't you always telling us history doesn't matter when we quote 2 titles and 1 FA Cup win ;) Note I say 1 FA Cup win - the other was won on tick

There were no all seaters around at the time

Arguably it didnt make too much of a difference to a lot of other clubs who regularly filled their grounds.

Pompey had the 14th highest avearge league attendance the second year they won the League just above 3rd Division Hull City!!

This was at a time when the Royal Navy had a big contingent of sailors in Pompey to supplement local 'supporters' and a good many Saints fans used to travel to Fratton Park to watch Div 1 football

There were no all seaters around at the time

Arguably it didnt make too much of a difference to a lot of other clubs who regularly filled their grounds.

Pompey had the 14th highest avearge league attendance the second year they won the League just above 3rd Division Hull City!!

This was at a time when the Royal Navy had a big contingent of sailors in Pompey to supplement local 'supporters' and a good many Saints fans used to travel to Fratton Park to watch Div 1 football

So, even with the Royal Navy discharging semen all over the place..... they still failed to fill Farton Puke ??

The football league at least did have the balls to put oin the clause about secured debt, the ground is worth say £5M so that is all that can be bought forward.

I reckon we will be liquidated to be honest, particularly if the players on liquidtion get paid via parachute payments

A phoenix club means no history but aren't you always telling us history doesn't matter when we quote 2 titles and 1 FA Cup win ;) Note I say 1 FA Cup win - the other was won on tick

It's always a pleasure reading your comments Mero

A real novelty.... a Skate with a brain

;)

A phoenix club means no history but aren't you always telling us history doesn't matter when we quote 2 titles and 1 FA Cup win ;)

Im not sure thats true Mero. The have been several Portsmouth FC clubs in the past 20 years - ie new companies set up specifically to inherit the history but dumping the debt of the old one. I dont see why a Phoenix club set up by genuine fans who want to do the right thing shouldnt also be able claim the history.

You only have to look to Brighton as a model. Screwed over by their chairman, lost their ground, broke and playing in lg2 - but definitely back now. Once all the legacy issues are cleared away and you have a 'clean' club I reckon you could well see people step forward to help.

Edited by buctootim

Im not sure thats true Mero. The have been several Portsmouth FC clubs in the past 20 years - ie new companies set up specifically to inherit the history but dumping the debt of the old one. I dont see why a Phoenix club set up by genuine fans who want to do the right thing shouldnt also be able claim the history.

I agree.

AFC Wimbledon have claimed the old clubs history successfully

No you misunderstand. We're always telling you that your history doesn't matter.

You only have to look to Brighton as a model. Screwed over by their chairman, lost their ground, broke and playing in lg2 - but definitely back now. Once all the legacy issues are cleared away and you have a 'clean' club I reckon you could well see people step forward to help.

A rich new owner kinda helped in that case though!

If he loses interest then.... who knows?

A rich new owner kinda helped in that case though!

If he loses interest then.... who knows?

Not quite. The club was saved and moved forward by local business people who werent stunningly rich but banded together and stabilised the club, put their own money in, worked with council to develop a new ground on the cheap (Withdean athletics stadium) and bought modest honest players. They also developed the plans for the new stadium, secured a site and gained planning permission. Tony Bloom was only attracted once all that work was done - which fgpes to show who comes out the woodwork (in a good way) once the basics have been put in place.

I agree.

AFC Wimbledon have claimed the old clubs history successfully

I disagree. The skates' various incarnations up to date have allowed them to to retain their league position, so in effect its been the same club. As soon as they start in a different league or non-league due to being a new company, the club is "new" as well. Our pet Skate is right - no history, no tradition, nothing. Just a "few" fans who used to support a different club in the same city. (IMHO, anyway).

I disagree. The skates' various incarnations up to date have allowed them to to retain their league position, so in effect its been the same club. As soon as they start in a different league or non-league due to being a new company, the club is "new" as well. Our pet Skate is right - no history, no tradition, nothing. Just a "few" fans who used to support a different club in the same city. (IMHO, anyway).

So do you think AFC Wimbledon should have no right to 'their' FA Cup?

That was a new team formed in non-league, and the original incarnation was still going strong in the form of MK Dons

I think that the basis of every team is the fans and if anyone has a right to the history it's them (although I might make an exception in the case of the phew)

Edited by Winchester Red

Not quite. The club was saved and moved forward by local business people who werent stunningly rich but banded together and stabilised the club, put their own money in, worked with council to develop a new ground on the cheap (Withdean athletics stadium) and bought modest honest players. They also developed the plans for the new stadium, secured a site and gained planning permission. Tony Bloom was only attracted once all that work was done - which fgpes to show who comes out the woodwork (in a good way) once the basics have been put in place.

Thanks for that.

Never fails to amaze me the depth of knowledge of the Nutjobs on this board

I seem to recall PKF gave nottarfkrap a £13m value in the recent administration report. Would have thought League would accept that sum. Perhaps they ought to get an independent valuation?

I seem to recall PKF gave nottarfkrap a £13m value in the recent administration report. Would have thought League would accept that sum. Perhaps they ought to get an independent valuation?

Iirc, there was an amendment to the original figure stated. So I'd expect a challenge to that if BC doesn't commit to the club.

So do you think AFC Wimbledon should have no right to 'their' FA Cup?

That was a new team formed in non-league, and the original incarnation was still going strong in the form of MK Dons

I think that the basis of every team is the fans and if anyone has a right to the history it's them (although I might make an exception in the case of the phew)

I think you're comparing oranges and apples; Wimbledon's club was literally stolen from them and transplanted in another City. Pompey on the other hand have more or less deliberatly committed suicide. But the blue few were very happy to enjoy the glory (and take the ****). They're only squinning now as they've been found out.

Blimey i go up north to Alton towers for a couple of days and all hell brakes loose, i was in the car in a traffic jam when i heard the -10 news, i got some strange looks when i shouted YES from the cars around me,

Can i have August the 4th please as its my anniversary.

Only on Portsea Island could dear old Avram become an "iconic figure" (as the News puts it). Not only did he get the Skates relegated, he would have done so without any nine-point penalty. In fact, they'd have finished bottom even if the nine points had been given back. And yet, because he came out with a load of guff about bestest fans and spirit, Grant is seen as a hero by the few. You really couldn't make it up.

From the same article:

"Grant said: ‘I really can’t believe it. I feel so much pain for my club."

Surely, following his well-publicised exploits in the fleshpots of Horton Heath, he meant

"I feel so much pain in my club."

Edited by Waterside.saint

Oh as nobody else has chosen it.

Can I have "They will get away with it" and play in L1 for my entry in the sweepstake?

Thanks

No evidence for this at all, just that nobody else has picked the most ludicrous scenario.

Idiots.

This is the PTS, the most ludicrous idea ALWAYS happens

:smug:

Is it just me or is the trip to Gibraltar something of a waste of time - almost everyone going will have left the club before the start of the season, so what is the point? I mean, couldn't Appy of taken a few of the youth squad camping in the New Forest - a minibus and a couple of tents would have done it.

I suppose, though, it's a nice holiday for one or two of the triallists, I guess. Better than another week in Halifax in the rain.

Disagree. A phoenix club should retain the old club's history. If it is the only club in the city and was only started as a direct result of the old one's liquidation then in my eyes that is still "Portsmouth FC". It wouldn't be a FCUM scenario, set up whilst MUFC still exist.

And on a more important note, it needs to retain the history so that history shows what happens to a club when they get caught cheating.

Disagree. A phoenix club should retain the old club's history. If it is the only club in the city and was only started as a direct result of the old one's liquidation then in my eyes that is still "Portsmouth FC". It wouldn't be a FCUM scenario, set up whilst MUFC still exist.

And on a more important note, it needs to retain the history so that history shows what happens to a club when they get caught cheating.

I wouldn't begrudge them their history - after all, we all need something to cling to.

If the liquadator is called, what assets could the PST buy, in similarities to CharlesGreenRangers? He bought the ''club'' in that he paid £5m for the player contracts (so he says), the ground and training ground, and all the other associated items from the liquadtor.

Fun comment on the North Stand Chat version of "Are Pompey Dead Yet"

Icy Gull: I find it quite strange that there is virtually no banter with Pompey fans on this board. Why is that?

edna krabappel: Because they're all too busy taking the moral high ground over the fact that, while they have robbed the taxpayer and hundreds of small businesses, charities and schools of about a hundred million pounds, a Southampton player (Claus Lundekvam) once made some cash, spot-betting on the time of the first throw-in during some games in the 1990s.

Fair play to Brighton fans, they know what's going on.

July 16..........Kingsbridge Saint

July 17.........Depressed of Shirley

July 18..................St lightjaw

July 20......................pedg and spudgun

July 23...........Yours truly

July 24...........................................Winchester red

July 26..........camdijk

July 27........................Cryoman1965 ( a big puff )

July 28......................................................................................................Trousers and bionani

July 29..............Saint linford

July 30......Under west stand and shroppie

July 31..........................andysstuff and badger x16

August 1.....Doctoroncall

August 3................................Ampersound

August 4.........Sevvy

August 6..........................................................holepuncture

August 9.................Shrek

August 10..............................Fowllyd and Saintforever

August 17........................................................................................Petersfield Saint

God bless not having alot to do today

July 26..........camdijk

July 28......................................................................................................Trousers and bionani

August 4.........Sevvy

August 17........................................................................................Petersfield Saint

July 25th not taken? I'll take that please if it ain't screwed down. (Sorry, I went all skate there for a moment)

Edited by Ohio Saint
Bad spolling

July 26..........camdijk

August 4.........Sevvy

I'll take an 11th August please Carol

July 26..........camdijk

August 4.........Sevvy

I'll take the 19th then

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})