Billy Sharp

teacher

Just another reason why you clearly talk crap. No sense in that. Has to prove himself at the level he's at before he deserves a chance in the prem. he definitely didn't shine last season.

Even when he was with us in the prem he did ok, but hardly stood out like Rickie did he. He's a decent finisher if you get the ball to him in the box, but that's about it. He doesn't offer enough outside of the box and to the team in general. Yes he's a top bloke, but so was Butterfield, Hammond and Chaplow.

Since 2009 Sharp has been one of the best and most consistant goal scorers in the championship. 60 odd goals in his last 130 odd games.

Sharp has been one of the best strikers in the championship for 4 years, i just feel he's earnt a dozen games at the next level to see what he can do. How is that talking crap? This is just a debate right?

Just another reason why you clearly talk crap. No sense in that. Has to prove himself at the level he's at before he deserves a chance in the prem. he definitely didn't shine last season.

Even when he was with us in the prem he did ok, but hardly stood out like Rickie did he. He's a decent finisher if you get the ball to him in the box, but that's about it. He doesn't offer enough outside of the box and to the team in general. Yes he's a top bloke, but so was Butterfield, Hammond and Chaplow.

He definitely didnt shine last season?! he had what, about 15 minutes of premier leagu football and scored against Stevenage in his only Start before being farmed out on loan. Do you think if Sharp had had the whole season with us last year would he have had more, less or the same impact as Mayuka?

He definitely didnt shine last season?! he had what, about 15 minutes of premier leagu football and scored against Stevenage in his only Start before being farmed out on loan. Do you think if Sharp had had the whole season with us last year would he have had more, less or the same impact as Mayuka?

Don't think there's much in it to be honest, think Mayuka has more potential to be good in the prem though as he has pace. Sharp is just too one dimensional for me.

And I mean when he was at Forest.....in the league below the one people are sayin he should be playing in.

Don't think there's much in it to be honest, think Mayuka has more potential to be good in the prem though as he has pace. Sharp is just too one dimensional for me.

And I mean when he was at Forest.....in the league below the one people are sayin he should be playing in.

He was Nottingham Forests top goal scorer

+ Forte has pace too, doesn't mean he'll be good in the premier league.

Edited by Glasgow_Saint

De ridder has pace too, doesn't mean he'll be good in the premier league.

The point was that Mayuka contributed nothing last season, he may come good he may not but last season I'd put money on Sharp nicking a goal as a late sub when we were chasing the game.

Sharp isn't a premier league player but last season I'm certain he'd have done more for us than Mayuka did.

Sharp carried out his job in helping us get to thye Premier league. He has a contract and is getting paid. He does not fit in with our clubs plans anymore. He is , has been and will be financially rewarded, but he has no further part to play at our club. Thank you very much now lets move on.

Has a similar ring to Adkins who was also suitably rewarded for his success.

Sharp carried out his job in helping us get to the Premier league. He has a contract and is getting paid. He does not fit in with our clubs plans anymore. He is , has been and will be financially rewarded, but he has no further part to play at our club. Thank you very much now lets move on.

IMHO Sharp does not have the mobility body strength or control to be effective in the PL in the style of football we now play.

To have him as a starter this coming season IF we had SRL & JRod out would be a disaster. However, when games lose their shape towards the end hcdajfu IF we find nobody else and score goals.

I HOPE we sign somebody better and we need better, if not I am sure he won't let us down if he gets on towards the end of games.

(but IF we are chasing a game I'd rather have Mayuka on the bench, still think he will come good as he matures)

Sharp carried out his job in helping us get to the Premier league. He has a contract and is getting paid. He does not fit in with our clubs plans anymore. He is , has been and will be financially rewarded, but he has no further part to play at our club. Thank you very much now lets move on.

It's a tough game sometimes. Sharp has done nothing wrong but is no longer the right fit.

His success with us contributed to his own removal from first team use. I hope he finds a club where he can thrive.

The point was that Mayuka contributed nothing last season, he may come good he may not but last season I'd put money on Sharp nicking a goal as a late sub when we were chasing the game.

Sharp isn't a premier league player but last season I'm certain he'd have done more for us than Mayuka did.

I agree, I hate the whole 'he has pace so he's good' argument, but it's not like Sharp has a deft touch is it, or be able to ping it in from 30 yards. He's a good bloke but a very average footballer at this level. If Mayuka or Sharp are our first choice strikers next season, then we'll be in big trouble IMO. However as an impact sub, I think I would rather have Mayuka coming on.

It's a bit of a non argument though as neither of them have shown anything to convince me they're any good at this level,

I agree, I hate the whole 'he has pace so he's good' argument, but it's not like Sharp has a deft touch is it, or be able to ping it in from 30 yards. He's a good bloke but a very average footballer at this level. If Mayuka or Sharp are our first choice strikers next season, then we'll be in big trouble IMO. However as an impact sub, I think I would rather have Mayuka coming on.

It's a bit of a non argument though as neither of them have shown anything to convince me they're any good at this level,

Well neither of them would be as we have Lambert and Rodriguez ahead of them. Point is do you think Sharp might have nicked a goal or two coming on as a sub when we were chasing a game last season? I reckon he would have.

Some people will still be talking about Sharp in 3 years time. He just clearly isn't a PL player and isn't even wanted by the better teams in the Championship.

He is a good finisher and scored some important goals in a team that created lots of chances. But we need to move on.

So pretty likely Sharp could have also contributed nothing as well.

So at worst he wouldn't have contributed any less then, yes? In fact he actually scored a goal, albeit against Steveage, but regardless in less than a month he did more than Mayuka did in a season.

So are you saying Sharp deserves a chance this coming season? Yes or no?

If yes, are you saying he deserves that chance ahead of Mayuka?

Some people will still be talking about Sharp in 3 years time. He just clearly isn't a PL player and isn't even wanted by the better teams in the Championship.

He is a good finisher and scored some important goals in a team that created lots of chances. But we need to move on.

This.

I can't help feeling we are missing the real point here. It's not just about ability, it's not just about pace, it's also about work rate. MP seemed to indicate last year that Mayuka would have to work a lot harder in training if he was to have a future here. SDR did seem to impress with his work rate toward the end of the season so got a few cameo appearances from the bench.

This year they all came back to work hard per season. I suspect Sharp and De Ridder came back not as fit as MP hoped and they failed to impress in training. Much as I admire Billy Sharp as a person, and I really wanted him to be a success here, there seems little point in giving him a chance when he is so clearly off the pace in so many ways.

I will remember his huge contribution to push us over the line to get us to the Premiership though.

I can't help feeling we are missing the real point here. It's not just about ability, it's not just about pace, it's also about work rate. MP seemed to indicate last year that Mayuka would have to work a lot harder in training if he was to have a future here. SDR did seem to impress with his work rate toward the end of the season so got a few cameo appearances from the bench.

This year they all came back to work hard per season. I suspect Sharp and De Ridder came back not as fit as MP hoped and they failed to impress in training. Much as I admire Billy Sharp as a person, and I really wanted him to be a success here, there seems little point in giving him a chance when he is so clearly off the pace in so many ways.

I will remember his huge contribution to push us over the line to get us to the Premiership though.

Sharp and De Ridder haven't trained with the main squad this year, they were told in the summer they weren't part of the plans.

So are you saying Sharp deserves a chance this coming season? Yes or no?

If yes, are you saying he deserves that chance ahead of Mayuka?

I don't think sharp is a premier league player, however like I've said, he couldn't possibly have contributed LESS than Mayuka last season, for that reason I think he's got a bit of a raw deal from us as he was replaced in the squad by a guy who did nothing. I think he should be replaced by a better player but based on last seasons evidence he wasn't.

I don't think sharp is a premier league player, however like I've said, he couldn't possibly have contributed LESS than Mayuka last season, for that reason I think he's got a bit of a raw deal from us as he was replaced in the squad by a guy who did nothing. I think he should be replaced by a better player but based on last seasons evidence he wasn't.

Hindsight. You now have the benefit of foresight. Squad place for next season, yes or no?

More or less deserving (next season) of a squad place than Mayuka?

Simple questions.

Exactly. He really wasn't given a chance. Considering how he performed for us I think it was an odd decision to loan him out. Mayuka was clearly a punt and both managers clearly don't rate him. We'll never know how Sharp could have contributed to our last season but it's a safe bet to say it would have been equal to or more than Mayuka's impact.

Hindsight. You now have the benefit of foresight. Squad place for next season, yes or no?

More or less deserving (next season) of a squad place than Mayuka?

Simple questions.

Nice try and the black and white scenario. Neither of them deserve a place so far IMO, of course I'll stand to be proven wrong on Mayuka, time will tell if he is the new Drogba or the new Manny Sidebe.

However my point was that last season it was likely going to be the case where there would be times when we would be chasing a game and Sharp would have been the man likely to nick one. Long term he isnt the answer but I felt he could have done a job last season and there is little doubt he would have done more than Mayuka who replaced him.

Edited by Turkish

Niether of them deserve a place so far IMO, of course I'll stand to be proven wrong on Mayuka, time will tell if he is the new Drogba or the new Manny Sidebe.

However my point was that last season it was likely going to be the case where there would be times when we would be chasing a game and Sharp would have been the man likely to nick one. Long term he isnt the answer but I felt he could have done a job last season.

Fair enough. IMO he wasn't/isn't up to the prem so it was pointless giving him a punt. Mayuka has been poor but to say that Sharp was more deserving of a chance than him of based on hindsight isn't a credible argument. Were you saying this time last year that Sharp was good enough and deserved a chance?

Fair enough. IMO he wasn't/isn't up to the prem so it was pointless giving him a punt. Mayuka has been poor but to say that Sharp was more deserving of a chance than him of based on hindsight isn't a credible argument. Were you saying this time last year that Sharp was good enough and deserved a chance?

Not as a starter, like I said, if we needed someone to come on with 10 minutes to go when we needed a goal then he could have done that Job and I dare say he'd have got a couple, he is a goal poacher and little else. Long term though, no he isn't the answer. I actually thought Mayuka would replace Lee in the squad.

Edited by Turkish

Not as a starter, like I said, if we needed someone to come on with 10 minutes to go when we needed a goal then he could have done that Job and I dare say he'd have got a couple, he is a goal poacher and little else. Long term though, no he isn't the answer. I actually thought Mayuka would replace Lee in the squad.

He may have done, but only by feeding off scraps. His pace, movement and touch would have shown him up at this level and any competent prem cb would have him in his pocket imo. The problem is we're stuck with the likes of him, Barnard and Lee so he may get a squad place if there's capacity at the end of the window and we haven't got rid by then.

I just cant see how he wouldnt have got a couple.

especially in the games (and there were a few) where we created so many chances and failed to score any (or maybe just 1)

Exactly. He really wasn't given a chance. Considering how he performed for us I think it was an odd decision to loan him out. Mayuka was clearly a punt and both managers clearly don't rate him. We'll never know how Sharp could have contributed to our last season but it's a safe bet to say it would have been equal to or more than Mayuka's impact.

If Pochettino didn't rate him, he'd be at home like the rest who are up for sale. Mayuka is going to have a great season.

I just cant see how he wouldnt have got a couple.

especially in the games (and there were a few) where we created so many chances and failed to score any (or maybe just 1)

I'm with jamie and turks on this. Quite a few games last season were crying out for a Sharp-type player, loads of chances going begging and just needing a good poacher to convert one, not necessarily as a starter, more an impact sub. I can understand why he's being shifted on though.

I'm with jamie and turks on this. Quite a few games last season were crying out for a Sharp-type player, loads of chances going begging and just needing a good poacher to convert one, not necessarily as a starter, more an impact sub. I can understand why he's being shifted on though.

How many times were we chasing games last season and needed to bring on Guly no goals do prado

Bring Sharp off the bench for the last 15-20 minutes and at least he gives you some hope of a goal.

what is a "great" season for a striker? 15 goals?

I am happy to bet say £50 that Mayuka does not score 15+ goals next season...... you in?

Haven't got that sort of money to gamble I'm afraid.

How many times were we chasing games last season and needed to bring on Guly no goals do prado

Bring Sharp off the bench for the last 15-20 minutes and at least he gives you some hope of a goal.

We all know that Guly was contracted those 15 minutes though.

If we don't sign another striker I'd be tempted to keep Sharp, as has been said on here he could do a job as a backup to Lambert\JRod or as a last gasp impact sub.

He's not a prem player but he does know how to find the back of the net and could still chip in with a few useful goals.

Obviously the preferred choice is to sign a top CF and let Billy go to a club that will give him plenty of first team opportunities but if that doesn't materialise then it seems silly not to at least use him.

The yardstick surely is Lambert who looked equally one dimensional in the lower leagues until Alan Pardew gave him his chance. The rest of his story is history as they say, Lambert having the guile and ability to adapt his game to the ever mounting challenges of higher leagues so effectively that he ended his first ever season in the PL as top English goalscorer.

As far as one can tell, Sharp has been much the same player in each league he has played with no great evidence of adapting or finding the extra skill sets needed to be competitive at higher levels. Barnard is much the same as Sharp, great at what he does but no prospect of becoming anything other than reliable.

The yardstick surely is Lambert who looked equally one dimensional in the lower leagues until Alan Pardew gave him his chance.

Did he? The season before he joined Saints he scored 29 league goals for a team that came 11th in League 1. The next season under Pardew he scored 30 goals for a team that finished 7th in League 1 (5th in terms of points earnt).

Sharp will never play for SFC again.

Good lad and important contribution in our run in but not good enough and no real miss to the squad.

Look forward to years of people talking about the amazing impact he would have had, if only he was given the chance.

Sharp will never play for SFC again.

Good lad and important contribution in our run in but not good enough and no real miss to the squad.

Look forward to years of people talking about the amazing impact he would have had, if only he was given the chance.

The chap was never given a chance and was on fire in pre-season last year.

Shame.

Mayuka was indeed a disappointment last season. I think he managed, effectively, one "assist" (for being taken down for a penalty, converted by Lambert, at home to Villa).

I agree with Turkish that Sharp as a "supersub" would probably have notched a goal or two.

However, I would have played Mayuka rather than Sharp, basically because Mayuka has better long-term potential for the club.

The fact that no other EPL team, especially the newly promoted ones, have come in for him speaks volumes IMHO.

I player that I like a lot but not, again IMHO, not top flight standard.

But yet Hooper, who I rate as an equal to Sharp, gets the nod for a Premiership team. I rate the SPL the same as the NPC and both Sharp and Hooper have scored consistently in their respective leagues.