The Secret Footballer

Huffton

Just got this book out from the library today, seems like a bloody interesting read so far.

Has the player actually been outed? I was thinking it might be David James but he sets himself up as an outfield player in the book, not that that really means anything.

Anyone else read it? Or know who it is?

I've read it. Agree it's a really good read - but something doesn't quite ring true.

I feel sure that the stories told are based on a pastiche of things rather than being directly true. Otherwise, some of the tales are so specific and involve so many people that I feel sure the Secret Footballer would have been "outed" by now.

• 2 months later...
It's definitely Kitson, Google "Secret Footballer Kitson". There's been a bit on the nutjob thread with some links to various parts of the stories, good luck finding them. :)

A few items that do not match but, hey, an intelligent spy would always throw in a few red herrings!

• 1 month later...
Got the second book for Christmas. Fairly sure that it is Dave Kitson. The opening chapters talk about a failing club and players holding out for their back pay to be paid up. Got to be someone who played for our fishy friends down the road.

I read it last month and had the same impression !

Was actually quite a good read, especially as I paid under 4 quid on Kindle !

It's kitson, it's got a bit dedicated to Pompey in the new book.... Nice bit about cotteril bursting into tears when he told the squad he was leaving and a bit about their chairman slagging him off during a match.... He really doesn't like them either.... Very amusing read...there's a story about 3 of our players and a sunseaker in the new one too....