Saints 4-0 Coventry City, back to the big time

Bad Wolf

Was just talking about our 4-3 home defeat by Leeds with a friend, when we were 3-0 up and I started watching it on YouTube (glutton for punishment I guess) but on the right hand side on the "suggested videos" bit, a link came up of our 4-0 win over Coventry City that took us back to the Premier League and I started watching it and it really made me marvel at how far our club has come in the last few years or so and how easy it can be to forget those who helped us along the way that are no longer with us (the club, not dead). Dean Hammond, Dan Harding, Papa Waigo, Mikeal Anthonio, Guly Do Prado, Jos Hoovllid and of course Nigel Adkins and Alan Pardew.

It also makes me feel amazed at how certain other players that have progressed as well since those dark times. Lallana and Lambert mainly as well as those that are still with us, Fonte, Cork, Schiederlin.

Special mention also to Kelvin Davis who was here right from the dark days of Championship struggling, had the chance to leave for a PL team while we were in league one, almost took the chance but stayed loyal to us when he heard it was all sorted out here.

We've had some real good times over the last 5 years or so and some names that will probably never go down as "Saints legends" but played their part and helped us to where we are now.

There's no real reason for sharing this video, it's not an anniversary or anything like that but I thought I'd post on here anyway, just for the heck of it. I really do ****ing love this club. If you have a spare half an hour, sit back, enjoy and remember this great day....

Plenty of us (me included) thought that Fonte would struggle in the prem where as, jos would be fine.....after the championship promotion season

Yeah, for Fonte that season in the NPC was a little odd for him. I was always a little confused by his struggles at parts of that season, as he was the one player who had built in technical ability, very good composure and reading of the game...yet it seemed to desert him at times in that season. Jos seemed to come out with the higher rep.

but to be honest, the ''better footballer'' was always going to be the stronger player in the PL and I'm glad he regained his composure to become a Portuguese international.

We played Man U in the cup when we were in Lg1. It was a cracking match and Dan Harding was superb.

Was that the one Chaplow scored in? I had tickets for that but then put my back out and watched it on TV jumped up when chappers scored a great goal despite the pain.... sadly Owen end up winning it for Man U :x

I love watching the highlights of old games. I've always thought there should be a thread or something on here to have them all linked in one place.

I have thought for a while that it would be a great idea to categorise all the clips of Saints lurking around the internet. Could be done on a season by season basis and added to as people find new ones. Would be one heck of a task though.

Was that the one Chaplow scored in? I had tickets for that but then put my back out and watched it on TV jumped up when chappers scored a great goal despite the pain.... sadly Owen end up winning it for Man U :x

Yep, Chaplow's goal was superb, really well taken. I think he'd been frozen out by Ferguson's son at the time and maybe had a point to prove. Man U were under the cosh for quite a while and Ferguson had to bring on Giggs who he'd been saving for the weekend game. Harding had a goal disallowed as well. The highlights dont do Saints pressure justice.

Edited by buctootim

Chaplow was a great player for us, shouldnt be forgotten

Once he got himself fully into the side around the October > Dec period, he was our best player in that NPC season. He got an injury which derailed the rest of his season though unfortunately.

He was like a new signing at the start though.

I think this is the problem with the Championship, and why people are often confused that a team that runs away with the title won't do as well as one winning the playoffs, as with Reading, QPR in the past, versus us, Swansea etc.

Sometimes playing decent football and having young players develop doesn't get you as far in that league. Fonte was a far better reader of the game, but caught out a few times that season, perhaps having more inexperienced players in front of him, or just taking time to adjust to a higher level.

Hooiveld was strong and settled quickly. A limited player who did very well against other limited players. Look at Jason Roberts, he was unstoppable at times that season, yet we all knew he'd fail in the top flight, much like the Reading squad in general. Each time Warnock gets a team promoted like QPR it seemed he'd signed a team geared up for getting promotion, rather than for developing in the Premier league. Which means you need to sign a whole new team each time, which has cost QPR many times over.

Everyone knew Roberts would fail because he already had with Wigan, Blackburn and West Brom. I'd use an example like Alex Pearce at Reading, especially as some of us will have seen him for Saints - he was solid, functional and looked decent in the slower-moving, less clinical Championship, was good at clearing the ball but had no passing ability at all. Fine for the lower division, but in the Prem where decisions are more rapid, and a clearance is just turning over possession to the opposition, his style of play just invites opposition pressure. I think Jos was that kind of player - the own goals in the early Prem games were all about him being under pressure to make split-second decisions and not being able to react quickly enough.

Yep, Chaplow's goal was superb, really well taken. I think he'd been frozen out by Ferguson's son at the time and maybe had a point to prove. Man U were under the cosh for quite a while and Ferguson had to bring on Giggs who he'd been saving for the weekend game. Harding had a goal disallowed as well. The highlights dont do Saints pressure justice.

That kit....mmmmmm delicious.

My first ever trip to St Mary's! My friend and his mum were horrified when I told them I'd never been to a game so they bought me a ticket and took me with them. Strange experience for me but it was a great day!

I was sitting on a train from Nanjing to Shanghai when this game was on. I only had a crappy old Nokia with no internet, and two bars of battery left at the start of the trip. I had my mum send me text messages about the score to keep me informed. My battery just held out long enough to get told of the fourth goal. I did a little dance in the train aisle, to the bemusement of the locals.

wasn't there a special End of Season review DVD featuring our seasons in both League 1 and the Championship? Did anyone here purchase? Would love to watch that.

yep, i got it but only just watched the league one dvd a couple of weeks ago. Like Appy said, think thats my favourite ever Saints season. Its a great watch

looking at it again, it was amazing just how bad our start to that season was

yep, i got it but only just watched the league one dvd a couple of weeks ago. Like Appy said, think thats my favourite ever Saints season. Its a great watch

looking at it again, it was amazing just how bad our start to that season was

Cool, no idea why I didn't buy this at the time. It would be splendid if someone were to make this available as we are unlikely to be able to buy a new copy! ;)

Loved seeing Jos score again in the video. Loved that guy!!! :)

Oh yes, and did anyone else notice an odd Adkins/Cortese dynamic? Cortese seemed to give Adkins a grudging congratulation after Adkins seems hesitant to approach him (21:35)......Maybe that's just me?

Edited by Ohio Saint

Oh yes, and did anyone else notice an odd Adkins/Cortese dynamic? Cortese seemed to give Adkins a grudging congratulation after Adkins seems hesitant to approach him (21:35)......Maybe that's just me?

It's not just you but that doesn't mean there was anything in it. This was touched upon at the time by people on here, Solent and the Echo. It was also noted that Adkins gave a very odd interview which went something along the lines of "I feel great but one day there's gonna be a parting of the ways and that'll be a sad day"

I remember that night, funnily enough because I drank so much and threw up. Classy guy me.

I got absolutely slammed for this at the time but I said all this and that Adkins wouldn't last much long. The fact was Cortese went absolutely nuts after the Reading game and that from then on Akdins was on borrowed time and to he search from his replacement was well under way. Of course this wasn't true, Adkins was great, the new Alex ferguson, Cortese was god, Turkish is nothing more than a troll with an agenda etc. Yet hindsight shows Turkish was bang on as usual.

It's not just you but that doesn't mean there was anything in it. This was touched upon at the time by people on here, Solent and the Echo. It was also noted that Adkins gave a very odd interview which went something along the lines of "I feel great but one day there's gonna be a parting of the ways and that'll be a sad day"

Loads of us spotted it, it was pretty obvious that Adkins knew he wasn't long for the job, and that getting promoted probably wouldn't save him. That bizarre post-match interview combined with the various rumours flying round made the whole thing look like only a matter of time, which it was.

Of course MLG and other forum bright sparks happy to dismiss all of it as completely fabricated by lazy lying scumbag journalists. And how right they were.