Saints 0 Hull 0 - Match & Reactions Thread

St Chalet

It was an experiment worth trying, even if it ended up being a disaster. It was worth seeing how it would be with Redmond, Boufal and Tadic in the same team. The idea was sound - Hull play quite open (hence they either win or lose games) and so at St Marys there would be space for us to exploit and we could simply be better than them with more talent in the team. I had no issues with the team pre-game.

Unfortunately worst fears were experienced - Redmond, Tadic and Boufal are all chefs who like the ball to feet and to be the fulcrum of the move. They don't make that run that creates space for others or understand that if they don't get the ball then its not the end of the world. They are not combination players and do not play nicely with anyone who isn't a striker. I don't recall a single move between them from any of them. So we ended up outnumbered in midfield (as a result of the personnel) and when we had the ball we had no threat whatsoever as it was like strangers were playing. A draw was lucky, a win would have been criminal. I think it was bad enough that we need to move on from it straight away and learn the lesson that the balance of our team is far more important than individual ability.

This. It isn't all about the flair players. We need someone who can link play, keep a move alive and play the balls for those flair players to pick up.

Although much maligned on here, Davis and Ward-Prowse are normally very good at that, particularly in combination. I still maintain that when JWP is missing, the midfield doesn't function. He's not doing anything spectacular, but he makes it work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A manager who cannot inspire his players has failed in his job.

No player has improved this season, some have gone backwards.

Buck stops with Puel. He has not improved Saints, he has made us worse. Just because he's inoffensive should not exclude him from criticism.

Time to go, fresh start in the summer. Onwards and upwards.

So just to summarise, you don't think that Romeo, Yoshida, Cedric, JWP, Sims and Stephens are better players than last year? I think we should call for nurse......

Hull have conceded an average of 6 goals per game and we managed just one shot on target all game....

Hull have conceded an average of six goals per game? Is this a prediction of a season to come in fifty years, or have you been smoking something?

Hull have conceded an average of six goals per game? Is this a prediction of a season to come in fifty years, or have you been smoking something?

This myth was busted a while back. Its more like 2.5, for away games.

A manager who cannot inspire his players has failed in his job.

No player has improved this season, some have gone backwards.

Buck stops with Puel. He has not improved Saints, he has made us worse. Just because he's inoffensive should not exclude him from criticism.

Time to go, fresh start in the summer. Onwards and upwards.

Yep, absolutely. That was unacceptable - I can accept a long journey and a defeat but I expect a modicum of effort - and only Ryan, Oriol, Cedric and Jack offered that today. Hard to judge Gabi as the service wasn't there - Boufal, Tadic and Redmond would struggle to get a game at Torquay on that evidence. Time the first two were shipped out. No movement, no effort, going through the motions and the penalty said it all.

I've wanted KL to stay in charge and do not want Lander at any cost. However, IF she does want to sell then I hope it happens before the end of the season and the new owners employ a manager who inspires his players.

New manager and new attitude needed. Watson can hold the fort for the rest of the season. Alas, I can't see a decision being made until the ownership is resolved.

So just to summarise, you don't think that Romeo, Yoshida, Cedric, JWP, Sims and Stephens are better players than last year? I think we should call for nurse......

Romeu is better but then Victor has left and he's the only DMC we have = myth#1

Yoshida - has played more regularly due to volume of games and injuries. Has had a better season but ropey at Chelsea and still has the odd bad game (as you'd expect for a 4th choice)

Cedric = again, has played more and Coco less. Well done CP on that one but Martina should never have played as much last season.

JWP - Will give CP credit there

Sims - a couple of good cameos, notably V Everton but barrel being liberally scraped....

Stephens - has been good to blood him but forced by VVD injury and Reed's appalling January window?

Seems Nurse will also point to Forster going rapidly backwards, Bertrand fed up, Davis fading, PEH in rotten form, Clasie good display V WBS and ignored since, Long a shadow of last season, J Rod fed up.

Romeu is better but then Victor has left and he's the only DMC we have = myth#1

Yoshida - has played more regularly due to volume of games and injuries. Has had a better season but ropey at Chelsea and still has the odd bad game (as you'd expect for a 4th choice)

Cedric = again, has played more and Coco less. Well done CP on that one but Martina should never have played as much last season.

JWP - Will give CP credit there

Sims - a couple of good cameos, notably V Everton but barrel being liberally scraped....

Stephens - has been good to blood him but forced by VVD injury and Reed's appalling January window?

Seems Nurse will also point to Forster going rapidly backwards, Bertrand fed up, Davis fading, PEH in rotten form, Clasie good display V WBS and ignored since, Long a shadow of last season, J Rod fed up.

Thanks for agreeing with me

What I fail to understand is how the manager can pick a team that looks on paper to be going for it with Gabby, Redmond, Tadic and Boufal all playing yet when it clearly wasn't working he didn't sacrifice one of Redmond, Tadic, Boufal and put Long up front with Gabby for one to help him and secondly to give the attacking full backs and our little creative superstars a couple of interesting possibilities in front of them. But no the subs are all like for like and it gets us nowhere. People used to moan about Pochettino not having a Plan B. Well neither has this bloke !

oh and it was bloody awful to watch.

To clarify, I wasn't agreeing overall. Because of injuries/sales, we've had to use some of those players more, not because CP is a better manager than RK or through choice neccessarily. I've given him credit on JWP to show fairness and balance. Funnily enough, you don't seem to disagree on the long list of players I listed that have gone backwards.....

If people can't vent after shelling out for today's effortless debacle, there's something wrong with them or they are on the SFC payroll.

You are a ****ing idiot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ps - have you watched Torquay recently? Probably best not to comment on an ironic throwaway comment by another poster if you haven't. Delighted they avoided relegation today but sad for York.

Welcome to my small but select ignore list

I think you have just proved the point that you only see what you want to see. Myopia, I believe its called. Ask your nurse.

How you can be happy about the results and displays this season, of both players and managers, is astounding. We have seen so much better, we are capable of so much better. A better manager would get more out of this team. Thats the facts.

What a bunch of bed wetters on here today, how dare you have any bad words to say against anyone who is connected with Saints.

I suggest that you all go and support Chelsea and leave the magnificent Saints players and staff alone.

Us happy clappers who can never accept any faults from Saints are always correct and those who moan are always just bed wetters.

Of course I might just be a tad sarcastic but that is the usual response to any who are not happy with Saints performances ;)

With Arsenal Man U and Stoke still to play .....at home in the league we have only beaten:

Burnley

Palace

Swansea

Everton

Leicester

Middlesbro

..That's it.

Three of the bottom five

One of the top six and two mid table teams.

No wonder the fans are not happy..

well I do

Me as well. Needs another season at least. Few changes in playing staff and players back from injury and we should be much better next season. Do not agree with chopping and changing and neither does Kat either, which is far more important.

With Arsenal Man U and Stoke still to play .....at home in the league we have only beaten:

Burnley

Palace

Swansea

Everton

Leicester

Middlesbro

..That's it.

Three of the bottom five

One of the top six and two mid table teams.

No wonder the fans are not happy..

is that it, six home wins ? Must admit I thought it was a couple more than that !

so of our 17 home goals 9 of them were in three games - that's pathetic.

Typical football forum reaction from club's entitled 'fans' who believe we should have put five past such bottom feeders as Hull. Just to point out, life doesn't work like that.

TBF, I don't think many people are basing their reactions on JUST this game.

Believe you me it's been an awful lot worse than this

Yeah, I was there in 08/09 and it wasn't fun plus the rebuilding for the first few games in League 1 - draws against Stockport, Brentford home, Carlisle away. I was also there in 03/04 and 04/05 as an STH and see some similar decay and slipping standards around the club which are similar. That's different to results, which can go through cycles but there is something not right at SFC at present and both people on this forum and at the games can sense it from how our players are reacting and responding to CP.

Therefore, some other posters are also highlighting their concerns about this and some of the random decisions they are seeing. Fine, if you are happy and think the first team is being well managed and coached at present, fair play and you are entitled to your view. But do respect those of an increasing majority in the fanbase which is one of the more realistic around - compare it to down the M27 - who are concerned that it isn't.

Bertrand wants out and that is a fact. He's been unhappy here since we got knocked out of Europa. I fully expect him to be an opposition player at St. Mary's next season, probably for Liverpool.

Apart from the lack of quality on display, the unhappy appearance of Bertrand and lack of spirit across most of the team was the most worrying part of yesterdays game.

So very, very poor and I blame Puel and Black. Having said that Boufel, Tadic and Redmond ALL went missing in midfield today... defensively Hull wee first to the ball and in attack we didn't move forward as a cohesive unit. Big shake up required in the summer.

Gabbi has gone backwards - another decent player having his skill coached out of him IMO. He'll be on a goal draught now.

I blame the players myself. Half of them look like they're on the beach already

Puel was out of his seat for most of the half, so you can tell he isn't pleased at all.

In what way did he effectively and positively change the game to suit his demands ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The attacking three were too deep when the ball went forward but nowhere to be seen when it was cleared from our box.

Gabbiadini did nothing by the way - the reaction to his sub was ridiculous, he needed to come off.

Actually no . In my opinion Puel should have tweaked the formation to make the most of our most effective striker

Romeu has improved through having consistent game time . No one else has improved .

So very, very poor and I blame Puel and Black. Having said that Boufel, Tadic and Redmond ALL went missing in midfield today... defensively Hull wee first to the ball and in attack we didn't move forward as a cohesive unit. Big shake up required in the summer.

Gabbi has gone backwards - another decent player having his skill coached out of him IMO. He'll be on a goal draught now.

We we tepid and no creativity in final third, puels idea i guess.

Skill coached out of him......... Horse ****e

Yesterday the problem was very straightforward .

Cedric and Bertrand couldnt be arsed to go forward so no overlapping which is critical to how we play .........and the midfield was over run because we had three prima donas playing up front which left OR and SD doing it all

Yesterday the problem was very straightforward .

Cedric and Bertrand couldnt be arsed to go forward so no overlapping which is critical to how we play .........and the midfield was over run because we had three prima donas playing up front which left OR and SD doing it all

Probably right, but maybe the FBs had been told to play a bit deeper because we had three "creative" AMs who could play wide?

Whatever, it didn't work.