The "Return of Theo Walcott" thread

Bad Wolf

I don't see why that would matter. If Saints were relegated, Walcott would more than likely be sold to another top flight club so it shouldn't be an issue of great concern for him.

There's that & probably the 40k p/week extra Everton are likely to pay him.

It was in the Times from our pet journo wasnt it?

Not from any pronouncements from Les, which was the point I was answering and it was in The Telegraph.

Incidentally, who has the official title of "Pet Journo" these days? For ages it was Jeremy Wilson, but after Sam Wallace's excellent article last Saturday, he seemed to have won the title according to the strange ones on here.

Perhaps it might turn out to be Martin Samuels or Neil Ashton, or whoever pens a piece about us next.

And so they can bash the club when we did`nt

So does it not concern you that we are unable to attract a key target, when at one point it looked all but done?

I don't think he's that good, but come on, if he goes to Everton, you can't not blame the board.

I'm guessing he we will be thinking about his World Cup prospects too and a relegation on his CV wouldn't be the best way to force his way into the reckoning. Can't really blame him for not wanting to come here.

Just can't help but think that if we pulled the trigger on MP a few weeks ago our chances of landing our primary targets would've been much better.

Reckon that Palace result would've put a lot of potential signings off.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm guessing he we will be thinking about his World Cup prospects too and a relegation on his CV wouldn't be the best way to force his way into the reckoning. Can't really blame him for not wanting to come here.

Just can't help but think that if we pulled the trigger on MP a few weeks ago our chances of landing our primary targets would've been much better.

Reckon that Palace result would've put a lot of potential signings off.

Leicester result did us no favours at all, either.

Not from any pronouncements from Les, which was the point I was answering and it was in The Telegraph.

Incidentally, who has the official title of "Pet Journo" these days? For ages it was Jeremy Wilson, but after Sam Wallace's excellent article last Saturday, he seemed to have won the title according to the strange ones on here.

Perhaps it might turn out to be Martin Samuels or Neil Ashton, or whoever pens a piece about us next.

Club policy is we don't talk about players but we all know that the telegraph article was the club speaking.

Excellent? It was a fawning puff piece.

Jeremy Wilson & Sam Wallace are the closest to the club.

David Hynter at the Guardian used to get a few exclusives but he seems to spend more time writing fawning puff pieces for Spurs nowadays. Which must really annoy our Les...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

WALCOTT SET FOR EVERTON MEDICAL

Arsenal forward Theo Walcott has arrived on Merseyside and could become an Everton player later on Tuesday, according to Sky sources.

If negotiations continue to make progress this afternoon, the 28-year old winger could begin a medical at the club’s Finch Farm training HQ on Tuesday evening.

Since the turn of the year, Everton have overtaken Southampton in the race for the player's signature.

SSN understands that the Merseyside club’s ambition and spending power; Southampton’s poor recent form in the Premier League and Walcott’s desire to work with manager Sam Allardyce have been the key reasons for his decision to head to the North West.

Dortmund were also keen to sign Walcott, but the desire to play for Big Sam at Goodison proved decisive.

We understand the fee is in the region of £20m, ending 12 years at Arsenal.

Confident & relaxed about the situation.

So does it not concern you that we are unable to attract a key target, when at one point it looked all but done?

I don't think he's that good, but come on, if he goes to Everton, you can't not blame the board.

I think it's more concerning that they identified him as a key target (if they really did) when to my mind a proper CF like Lambert or Pelle is what we are missing.

I think that we put a value on the player (fee, wage`s etc) and if that was not acceptable to the player/agent he will not come but we may never know so

without real facts or proof i wont blame the board as it becomes club bashing just to suit the current mood

I cannot remember seeing anything saying it "is/looked all but done" only speculation on here and media writings...

Like you i don`t see him as the answer to our problems but he may have helped of course but not at any price.

Everton have a recent history of paying silly money (SIGGURSON) so i am not surprised he is going there and money is always the main

drive for the majority of footballers right now

That's easy to say. Let's say Theo signs on a 3 year deal. We won't put a relegation clause in there because we'd want to protect our asset, a £20m asset would massively depreciate if we went down and Theo would have trouble pick up the wages he's on now moving from a relegated side. A loan makes much more sense.

It would seem so yes, perhaps Arsenal aren't willing to go down that road though.

I don't blame the club here. Theo has the option of a team nearing relegation or another further up the table with better players and probably a higher wage.

What I will blame the club for, is if we fail to sign anyone else and when / if it turns out all our eggs were in once basket again.

Still half expect us to sign no-one this window.

I don't blame the club here. Theo has the option of a team nearing relegation or another further up the table with better players and probably a higher wage.

What I will blame the club for, is if we fail to sign anyone else and when / if it turns out all our eggs were in once basket again.

Still half expect us to sign no-one this window.

Didn't really want to sign him for any serious fee myself. If a loan wasn't possible then we're probably better off doing nothing in this case.

Walcotts desire to play under Big Sam lol

Ive never heard that one before.

Walcott is just another who thinks about money first, all his clapping the fans and his perceived love of what we did for him, is just another bit of greedy footballers nonsense.

People are crying out for pace and a goal threat, but then turn their noses up at Walcott (who scored 19 goals in 39 appearances last year)...

He is a significant improvement on all our attacking players (attacking mids and strikers)... and he is someone that was still tempted to come here despite our position and prospects.

He would have been far better for the club than some merchant with no premier league experience.

The simple fact is we aren't getting him because the board are pocketing the cash. Even if we stay up, this crap will continue next season.... and the season after that.... as long as it takes for us to get relegated.

We have no ambition other than to stay in the league and make as much money for the owners as possible.

Walcott is just another who thinks about money first, all his clapping the fans and his perceived love of what we did for him, is just another bit of greedy footballers nonsense.

Soon big sam will be able revert to type and hoof the ball over the top for Walcott to run after, well at least till his hamstring goes ;)

More likely a lack of desire to play under Pellegrino. Hes hardly a draw is he.

People are crying out for pace and a goal threat, but then turn their noses up at Walcott (who scored 19 goals in 39 appearances last year)...

He is a significant improvement on all our attacking players (attacking mids and strikers)... and he is someone that was still tempted to come here despite our position and prospects.

He would have been far better for the club than some merchant with no premier league experience.

The simple fact is we aren't getting him because the board are pocketing the cash. Even if we stay up, this crap will continue next season.... and the season after that.... as long as it takes for us to get relegated.

We have no ambition other than to stay in the league and make as much money for the owners as possible.

Well Les wouldn't look so stupid if he had openly stated we were looking for a loan and closing down speculation when Aresnal ruled a loan out. Two weeks into the window the rumours are we are looking to sign a couple of players not making the team in their existing clubs. Every other team is happy to be associated with targets not us. Relegation costs £100m . Les failed in the last window and here we are struggling to get any player across the line. We have a manager who is going to be sacked at some point but it would appear Les is happy to gamble the financial disaster relegation would be. I hope he realises the fans will never forgive him for relegation and hound him out of the club. He is an old man past his sell by date

He address an immediate need and is keen to join. How the **** have we allowed this one to slip through our fingers again?

Amazing isn’t it? Another club bid more money, and will pay him more, how did we let that happen. Why did we allow other clubs to bid for him, Les should have banned Everton from bidding for him him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's easy to say. Let's say Theo signs on a 3 year deal. We won't put a relegation clause in there because we'd want to protect our asset, a £20m asset would massively depreciate if we went down and Theo would have trouble pick up the wages he's on now moving from a relegated side. A loan makes much more sense.

Don't see why we wouldn't put a relegation clause in there, at the rate transfer prices are going up he'd be worth just as much in 6 months after being relegated.

Either Saints were only interested in a loan, or Walcott fancied living in Liverpool rather than potentially spending 5 months here first (and then potentially moving there after relegation - if the interest were maintained).

Or we've had a bid accepted that's not been reported and he's chosen Everton because of a better salary.

He address an immediate need and is keen to join. How the **** have we allowed this one to slip through our fingers again?

Sounds an awful lot like other players we have lost. The best example being Toby.

Les Reed and his whole cabal are just inept beyond description.

I think it's more concerning that they identified him as a key target (if they really did) when to my mind a proper CF like Lambert or Pelle is what we are missing.

Like Austin & Gabbiadini? Think we could use some pace and someone who can create opportunities as well as score them.

Like Austin & Gabbiadini? Think we could use some pace and someone who can create opportunities as well as score them.

Neither of which are anything like Lambert or Pelle for a start neither of them can hold a ball up well with their back to goal to give our midfield time to get forward in attack. Lambert in particular and Pelle both help to create for other players.

Edited by doddisalegend

Amazing isn’t it? Another club bid more money, and will pay him more, how did we let that happen. Why did we allow other clubs to bid for him, Les should have banned Everton from bidding for him him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we can assume that Walcott would have liked to come back here, however our negotiations yet again failed abysmally. It is also safe to assume that Walcott knows a thing or two about what is going on down here and our relentless ‘march’ towards relegation...

We obviously wanted him and he was our priority target of that there is no doubt also....

To put up some kind of smoke screen for the reasons we didn’t actually get him here is stretching the imagination. Yet again we did not ‘manage’ the situation and to top it all we have a Manager most decent players would make the same decision about...

So how do you propose we entice new players here with out of touch negotiators and an appalling manager?

I think we can assume that Walcott would have liked to come back here, however our negotiations yet again failed abysmally. It is also safe to assume that Walcott knows a thing or two about what is going on down here and our relentless ‘march’ towards relegation...

We obviously wanted him and he was our priority target of that there is no doubt also....

To put up some kind of smoke screen for the reasons we didn’t actually get him here is stretching the imagination. Yet again we did not ‘manage’ the situation and to top it all we have a Manager most decent players would make the same decision about...

So how do you propose we entice new players here with out of touch negotiators and an appalling manager?

Negociations failed abysmally ? Why just not write we weren't prepared to pay as much as Everton because that's probably all that was in play here. Something that we've probably got quite right in my view.

Wages nothing more, no way he is desperate to go play for a team that not registered a shot on target this year and who's manager has just said they need to be 'more boring'.

Emre, who played under Allardyce at Newcastle has already warned his fellow Turk Tosun about playing under him cos he'll get no goals and service.

Not going to bother with addressing it all as a short line will suffice... Nothing but speculation based on your feelings toward the club with nothing factual to base it on

Read the last line of your post. I got absolutely lambasted for suggesting this a couple of years ago. They are cutting it fie, but if we finish 17th its job done, but with out the extra bonus of higher league positions.

We need someone similar to Theo still, if we haven't been able to get Theo that shouldn't mean the club close the door on a 'pacy' winger type. Let's hope we don't follow the stance of ''oh well, we couldn't get our main option, let's shut the door''. If our scouting is as good to be believed, then it should be able to find a player with similar attributes and ability to Theo for a similar sort of price (I'm thinking Quincy Promes or Pone Sisto off the top of my head)

Don't think this is the time to try and be clever, we need to gamble and if that means spending a little more than we want to on proven players, then do it.

Every time another player chooses another team over us people say "he's only went there for higher wages" or something to that effect. Well if that's the reason every time, then match their wages or accept our place in the pecking order, it's simple. Pay up or get what's in our price range, we always be bypassed if we don't pay up.