Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

@mrandrewmoon: That was one of the more remarkable manager interviews I've conducted, Barker was absolutely scathing of his #Pompey squad

Strange that - as last week it was all about giving the players a confidence boost ..Oh and that they were going to be the entertainers, which is some respect is true -

It certainly doesn't sound like there's going to be many players left on the Pompey calendar again next year :)

Two games in has got to be a world record for a new Pompey manager going doolally :)

They can't buy anyone. Free's or loans only.

That's what makes his interview so stupid. He might be able to move 1 or 2 out and get a couple of loans or frees in, but wholesale changes there won't be. All he's doing is slaughtering players he'll be relying on to keep them up.

10 days to save their futures? 'I ain't aving it'. Clown

Mr Barker requested the faithful be patient after the loss to Newport County...:rolleyes:

He seems to have now run out of patience himself:mcinnes:

Obviously he did not watch any video action of the great Pompey side before accepting the position of Pompey Manager.

Unless someone promised him the earth regarding Free/loan transfers for Jan.....silly statement to make after loss to Bristol Rovers.

He states he must be careful regarding his anger towards the Pompey players as some may still be playing for him after Jan window.

Strange goings on at Pompey.....:D....I suggest most of his squad are there to stay:uhoh:..IN READINESS FOR THE wESSEX LEAGUE AND hAMPSHIRE LEAGUE FOOTER.

Should we really be laughing at this poor football club?

OK....yes we should:lol:

Edited by ottery st mary

Yes we are Nutjobs.

Yes we are obsessed.

BUT, at EVERY twist and turn of this insanity down the M27 we have made suggestions.

And EVERY time we have been proved right.

They could have been back in L2 next season debt free and with the AFC Wombledon factor.

Oh no. They did it their own way.

Congratulations to one and all of them, and our undying thanks

The Trust have gone from Hero to Villain status in less than a year? You're sh1tting me.

The phew are past masters at Orwellian Doublethink e.g. 'our chairman/goalie/defender/striker is the bestest hero/villain/prossie-botherer' the only constant is that something about their car-crash is 'bestest' & all thing they really care about is being 'special'. The collateral damage they do to small businesses & charities on the way to their next insolvency don't signify so long as they can keep kidding themselves they're still somehow 'special' in that all-too familiar pompey way ...

Edited by Waterside.saint

The HNW's will not enjoy their turkeys this Xmas as they will be dipping into their pot again soon. As far as I can see they need to bolster the club to get to the play-offs.Fanciful perhaps but they really need to get there or there will be more financial problems coming up over the horizon

The HNW's will not enjoy their turkeys this Xmas as they will be dipping into their pot again soon. As far as I can see they need to bolster the club to get to the play-offs.Fanciful perhaps but they really need to get there or there will be more financial problems coming up over the horizon

Conference playoffs next year?

In his BBC interview he said that "some can't even train on a daily basis" ( not moaning about

agent Connolly surely??? ) He was asked if it was because of fitness and he replied "many different

reasons". I wonder what they are then? Better not post my theories :lol:

There's a rumour over on the UI that some are refusing to do the training he wants. Just a rumour, of course...

The Trust have gone from Hero to Villain status in less than a year? You're sh1tting me.

It appears that would be a "yes": :D

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-boss-blasts-failing-players-1-5764939

If we are going to have any chance of survival as a club, the Trust need to start looking for a serious buyer or major investor so that we can pay off our debts and get the embargo lifted. If they fail to do that, Barker will be getting more iffy, 'like for like' players in January which could lead us to ending up in the Conference with a massive debt still strangling us.

The consequences of that scenario doesn't even bear thinking about…

Make no mistake, we are in an appalling mess both on and off the field. Our very future as a club is in jeopardy.

On a purely personal note, I blame the Trust. And I'll tell you why.

I blame the Trust for taking a huge egoistic gamble on our club.

I blame the Trust for being so desperate to get their hands on the keys to the kingdom they rubbished any and all opposition that actually had the capital to take our club by the scruff of the neck and get us back to where we belong.

I blame the Trust for not wisely stepping back and allowing another buyer, (Harris), to step in when they realised they had pledges from just 2,000 fans which was plainly not enough to allow them to purchase the club outright.

I blame the Trust for then not even considering the sensible option of Keith Harris' proposal which would have seen PST receive 15% of shares in PFC (free) which, in turn, would have given them a toehold in the club and a seat, (the all-important fans voice), on the Board. This would then have given the Trust breathing space and a base to work from with a view to raising enough capital, over a period of years, to perhaps eventually buy the club, debt free, from Harris.

I blame the Trust, (having snubbed Harris' offer), for then borrowing a large amount of money from the Council and in particular from Property Developer Stuart Robinson, (who now stands to benefit handsomely from the Tesco deal), which meant that they began their ownership of our club in even more debt.

I therefore blame the Trust for the serious predicament we find ourselves in.

I've no doubt there will be plenty of thumbs down for this post, but I don't really care… I truly fear for our club more than any other time in our history…

Now what was it that Nelson Muntz says ....

Yes we are Nutjobs.

Yes we are obsessed.

BUT, at EVERY twist and turn of this insanity down the M27 we have made suggestions.

And EVERY time we have been proved right.

They could have been back in L2 next season debt free and with the AFC Wombledon factor.

Oh no. They did it their own way.

Congratulations to one and all of them, and our undying thanks

To be fair it's fine to speculate that they would be back in L2 had they started again, but the reality is they would have had :

- No team.

- No Ground.

- No training ground.

- No infrastructure.

- No backroom staff.

- No youth setup.

- No money.

- No debt.

That doesn't indicate that they would immediately bounce back through the leagues.

Besides, this way is MUCH funnier and this particular dish is best served very cold!

Upside is they won't need to pay for poultry, they own the bestest 'turkey' in the whole wide world already :D

To be fair it's fine to speculate that they would be back in L2 had they started again, but the reality is they would have had :

- No team.

- No Ground.

- No training ground.

- No infrastructure.

- No backroom staff.

- No youth setup.

- No money.

- No debt.

That doesn't indicate that they would immediately bounce back through the leagues.

Besides, this way is MUCH funnier and this particular dish is best served very cold!

At least the bestest fans in the world would travel across the South to all of their games though, standing on the sidelines of some rec watching the mighty AFC P*mpey lose to Winchester City or whoever the leviathans are that they're facing.

Richie Barker's interviews are staggering - he's clearly not bothered about morale in the camp. Whichever way you look at it, it's bizarre:

He could be trying to put pressure on the directors to give him the means to make wholesale changes to the squad in January - has he not been told that they can't spend out on transfer fees? Or he's just realised just how big the abyss is that PFC is now looking into. In the video interview, he says in one breath that "it's not the attitude" of players - and then immediately contradicts himself by saying that some of them don't have enough desire to win - well, if that's not a failure in attitude, I don't know what is!

Whatever the reasons, if I was a skate, I'd be wondering already if getting shot of Whittingham was actually a *big* mistake. Life sucks, eh? ;)

Richie Barker's interviews are staggering - he's clearly not bothered about morale in the camp. Whichever way you look at it, it's bizarre:

He could be trying to put pressure on the directors to give him the means to make wholesale changes to the squad in January - has he not been told that they can't spend out on transfer fees? Or he's just realised just how big the abyss is that PFC is now looking into. In the video interview, he says in one breath that "it's not the attitude" of players - and then immediately contradicts himself by saying that some of them don't have enough desire to win - well, if that's not a failure in attitude, I don't know what is!

Whatever the reasons, if I was a skate, I'd be wondering already if getting shot of Whittingham was actually a *big* mistake. Life sucks, eh? ;)

keeganrant_450x300.jpg

Why am I reminded of this :)

Here's a thought.

From the obsessive nutjobs' point of view it might be better and produce more lols if they didn't slip into the Conference but stayed in League Two?

How so?

If they go into the Conference, the myth-making hype machine will slip into overdrive. They will enjoy - certainly initially - the increased publicity of being the biggest club in history to play in the Conference. They will invariably gain some unwarranted sympathy but knowing the Septic Isle's ability to spin a myth, could ride the momentum and stage a heroic campaign to climb back into the Football League and the legend of the plucky but biggest fan-owned club in the world will continue.

If they stay up and undergo another anaemic season in League Two, they will quickly be forgotten and meld into the likes of other bottom tier teams like Torquay, Hartlepoool, York etc, doomed to just scuff around and be largely forgotten non-entities.

Discuss.

Here's a thought.

From the obsessive nutjobs' point of view it might be better and produce more lols if they didn't slip into the Conference but stayed in League Two?

How so?

If they go into the Conference, the myth-making hype machine will slip into overdrive. They will enjoy - certainly initially - the increased publicity of being the biggest club in history to play in the Conference. They will invariably gain some unwarranted sympathy but knowing the Septic Isle's ability to spin a myth, could ride the momentum and stage a heroic campaign to climb back into the Football League and the legend of the plucky but biggest fan-owned club in the world will continue.

If they stay up and undergo another anaemic season in League Two, they will quickly be forgotten and meld into the likes of other bottom tier teams like Torquay, Hartlepoool, York etc, doomed to just scuff around and be largely forgotten non-entities.

Discuss.

Nah, sod em, going out of the professional league is the least they deserve.

Here's a thought.

How so?

Discuss.

Fair point.

BUT the Conference is full of very professionally run clubs on small budgets but with big dreams. Who understand they need basic infrastructure.

At every step in their fall, pcfc have shown nothing but contempt for the League they are in, and would do the same again. The Conference is a bloody hard League to get out of.

With their set up and attitude, they'd manage it easily.

Still heading downwards.

If they stay up this year then they will stabilise in League Two and the chance of them dropping out of the Football League will be lost. Once they (finally) pay off the football creditors they will be able to spend money and will eventually get themselves back to the upper reaches of L1 or into the Championship.

However, if they drop down to the conference it'll take them even longer to pay back whichever debts they are actually going to bother repaying given that their income will drop massively AGAIN (home supporters and away supporters down, tickets even cheaper, no TV money at all, no interest for sponsors with no coverage outside the town itself). On top of that, with only 2 up out of the conference compared with 4 up from L2 you could argue that it's much, much harder to get out of that league.

If they go down now they could be there for years and will well and truly disappear from the consciousness of most football fans.

Here's a thought.

How so?

Discuss.

Or they could do a Stockport and drop down another level. And a potential derby with Eastleigh. Relegation for me every time (and also got £5 at 40/1)

If they stay up this year then they will stabilise in League Two and the chance of them dropping out of the Football League will be lost. Once they (finally) pay off the football creditors they will be able to spend money and will eventually get themselves back to the upper reaches of L1 or into the Championship.

However, if they drop down to the conference it'll take them even longer to pay back whichever debts they are actually going to bother repaying given that their income will drop massively AGAIN (home supporters and away supporters down, tickets even cheaper, no TV money at all, no interest for sponsors with no coverage outside the town itself). On top of that, with only 2 up out of the conference compared with 4 up from L2 you could argue that it's much, much harder to get out of that league.

If they go down now they could be there for years and will well and truly disappear from the consciousness of most football fans.

could not agree more. The lower the better. No doubt the `owners' will point to having their hands tied by the debt agreement, but they will have to look at their own recruitment decisions and accept responsibility, even if they were hampered by only having two players on the books. The 66-1 relegation odds look pretty good at the moment...nice.

Happily, that last result places them in the relegation zone based on recent form:

http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/D3/runin.html

Team Recent Form

1 Chesterfield 84.0

2 Oxford United 83.0

3 Newport 89.5

4 S****horpe United 79.5

5 Burton 77.5

6 Southend United 76.5

7 Rochdale 59.0

8 Fleetwood Town 63.2

9 Morecambe 60.8

10 Dagenham & Redbridge 60.0

11 Exeter City 44.0

12 Cheltenham Town 70.8

13 AFC Wimbledon 55.6

14 Wycombe Wanderers 47.0

15 Hartlepool United 54.5

16 Plymouth Argyle 68.5

17 Accrington Stanley 73.0

18 Bristol Rovers 59.5

19 Mansfield Town 24.5

20 Portsmouth 37.0

21 York City 48.5

22 Torquay 53.5

23 Bury 50.0

24 Northampton 45.5

Here's a thought.

How so?

Discuss.

Yep, with short-term debts of less than £10 million, and turnover of several hundred thousand a year, they will surely walk the league.

As Nick reminded us earlier, just staying up in L2 this season is no good to them. Their financial modelling NEEDS promotion this season. They have deferred the "compromise" payments into the future in order to use the remaining parachute payments to purchase the club. The last PP went to PCC and Robinson instead of the footballing debts. They gambled on higher revenues from higher leagues to pay off the debts over 4 years.

They are still f*cked.