Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I believe it all has to be diverted into the pot to repay the club legends like Dave Kitson and Tal Ben Haim.

I think the club has no option but to increase it's revenues in non-pitch related things in order to have more available money, as any revenue related to who actually kicks the ball is probably earmarked by the PFA.

Has the reality of the situation dawned on Barker yet, or is he as misguided as Cotterill, UnAppy and Whittingham?

His job has always been to turn this bunch of players around, perhaps with the addition of one or two signings who miraculously give up their contracts elsewhere to join him on really low and sustainable wages. :lol:

He has sounded sensible thus far, but the first moan about restrictions or budgets will end that.

Hopefully he gives us as much sideshow entertainment in 2014 as Guy did in 2013.

Interesting info re free signings in League 2 this year

Just goes to show they aren't really being handicapped by the transfer embargo

Accrington - Ten players in (eight frees, two loans)

AFC Wimbledon - Twelve players in (ten frees, two loans)

Bristol Rovers - Two players in (one free, one undisclosed fee)

Burton - Twelve players in (ten frees, two loans)

Bury - Twenty one players in (eighteen frees, three loans)

Cheltenham - Ten players in (seven frees, three loans)

Chesterfield - Twelve players in (eleven frees, one loan)

Dagenham - Four players in, all frees

Exeter - Three players in (two frees, one undisclosed fee from non-league)

Fleetwood - Nine players in (six frees, three undisclosed fees)

Hartlepool - Four players in (two frees, two loans)

Mansfield - Eight players in (five frees, two fees, one undisclosed from non-league)

Morecambe - Six players in (four frees, one undisclosed, one compensation payment)

Newport - Five players in (four frees, one loan)

Northampton - Eleven players in (nine frees, one loan, one non-contract)

Oxford - Ten players (seven frees, two undisclosed, one loan)

Plymouth - Seven players in (six frees one loan)

Portsmouth - Thirteen players in (Twelve frees, one undisclosed)

Rochdale - Thirteen players in (Ten frees, two loans, one undisclosed)

S****horpe - Twelve players in (Eight frees, one fee, one undisclosed, two loans)

Southend - Nine players in (six frees, two loans, one month-to-month contract)

Torquay - Eight players in (Seven frees, one loan)

Wycombe - Eight players in (Four frees, two undisclosed, two loans)

York - Eleven players in (six frees, one undisclosed, four loans)

Edited by Joe Kirkup
spelling

That is just a win record with no regard to opposition or league position if I'm reading it right? Not the best barometer of success but still interesting.

Yep. You're certainly better off spending most of your time in the lower divisions playing poor standard opposition if you want to measure it that way.

Oh.... that doesn't help them either.

That is just a win record with no regard to opposition or league position if I'm reading it right? Not the best barometer of success but still interesting.

But I guess you could say that if you're winning a lot in the lower leagues you'll be getting promoted and thus would end up in the top flight anyway?

There's a version of that which ranks clubs by total points earned in the top tier across history, which is all that matters imo.

Never understood the brighton, reading and skate banter we got for finishing runners up in our league one and championship promotion seasons. In my eyes we finishised 22nd and 46th out of 92 in those seasons respectively, pretty small time to think otherwise! 1st in the second tier is not an achievement!

There's a version of that which ranks clubs by total points earned in the top tier across history, which is all that matters imo.

Never understood the brighton, reading and skate banter we got for finishing runners up in our league one and championship promotion seasons. In my eyes we finishised 22nd and 46th out of 92 in those seasons respectively, pretty small time to think otherwise! 1st in the second tier is not an achievement!

If we take the league position as a pretty good guide of hierarchy over the years, it turns out that we are 3 places better than them. Both clubs were admitted to the Football League in 1920, so we have the same number of years in the FL (although the Southern League was reportedly on a par with the FL at the time) and since then Pompey have finished in an average position (out of 92) of 29.8, while we have finished in an average position of 26.3.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/holmes-i-don-t-agree-with-boos-1-5776399

Iain McInnes has confirmed Richie Barker will be able to significantly restructure his squad in January.

The Pompey chairman has told the boss there is money available to bring in the players needed to turn the club’s fortunes around, but insisted the investment was affordable, given the increased revenues the club has generated so far this season.

After a meeting between the chairman, manager and chief executive Mark Catlin, McInnes underlined the board’s determination to back their new manager and director of football Steve Coppell in an exclusive interview with the official website.

He said: “As a board we took full account of our playing resources, specifically the inherited and ongoing injury count, as part of the managerial recruitment process.

“A priority for Richie, Steve and his staff has been to analyse resources in the full knowledge we had the January window to invest in our future and dispense with any threat of being dragged into a relegation battle, which would be simply unacceptable and irresponsible as a board should we allow it to happen.

“Fans have supported us in exceptional numbers this season and we are not only respectful of that commitment, but wish to recognise and maintain it.

“In the light of substantial cost savings, heightened commercial income and higher gate receipts than anticipated, we are able to repay that faith by supporting Richie in his player recruitment ambitions, which we are confident will match the expectations of you, the fans.

“However, fans can also be assured that the player salary budget we have set is affordable and in line with our financial projections.

“We believe Richie and Steve have already earmarked necessary players. There remains the challenge of actually signing them, but if all goes to plan, we anticipate a more successful second half of the season."

If we take the league position as a pretty good guide of hierarchy over the years, it turns out that we are 3 places better than them. Both clubs were admitted to the Football League in 1920, so we have the same number of years in the FL (although the Southern League was reportedly on a par with the FL at the time) and since then Pompey have finished in an average position (out of 92) of 29.8, while we have finished in an average position of 26.3.

Apart from honours Saints are ahead of Pompey in every respect eg

1. Saints founded in 1885 v Pompey 1898

2. Southern League record - Saints higher placed in 11 of the 17 seasons the two teams competed together winning 15 and drawing 5 of the 'head to heads'

3. Note that the Southern League included all the big London clubs and Saints won the title seven times in 21 seasons up until the Football League was extended in 1920/1

4. Since 1920/1 Saints have been the higher placed club in 51 of the 87 seasons

5. Since 1920/1, Saints have a higher average home attendance despite having a smaller capacity ground for 74 seasons

6. In the League and Cup 'head to heads' since 1920/1 Saints record is ... P 38 W 19 D 10 L 9 F 69 A 48

7. If the comparative records since 1960/1 are looked at (ie the first time the two clubs were in the same League since 1926/7), then Saints domination is even more pronounced and perhaps explains why some Pompey fans have such a dislike for the Saints as in the intervening 54 years Saints have been the dominant force for all bar seven and have enjoyed a higher home support level for all bar three!!

So basically, they're going to spend money they don't really have on wages for players they see as better than they have because they're arrogant enough to think they're too big a club to even be involved in a relegation battle?

With free transfers always being a gamble, as well as the time it'll take these wholesale changes to gel, this should be fun.

Not to mention that, even if they do stay up doing this, it makes the crash next season even worse with the absence of parachute payments.

So basically, they're going to spend money they don't really have on wages for players they see as better than they have because they're arrogant enough to think they're too big a club to even be involved in a relegation battle?

With free transfers always being a gamble, as well as the time it'll take these wholesale changes to gel, this should be fun.

Not to mention that, even if they do stay up doing this, it makes the crash next season even worse with the absence of parachute payments.

r1115990_13612938.JPG

The interesting thing about fresh starts as trumpeted by McInnes for the second half of the season is they generally turn out to be the same old in disguise.

You'd think that Pompey fans might have rumbled this by now having had years of similar pronouncements based on nothing tangible.

Er, no, no they won't.

Next season they won't have the benefit of parachute payments to boost their income, thus fudging the amount they can spend to stay within the 55% wages to turnover ratio.

They will also NOT be able to purchase any players until they have paid off the last ones - circa 2016ish.

If / when they don't get promoted this season they are screwed :D Plenty more legs in this fred :D

drooling.gif

Happy new year, nutjobs.

I would like to wish all the Skate dimwits a new year full of misery, doom, gloom and yet more unfulfilled dreams !

May your heroes become villains, may your fat congeal in your pipes, may your clock remain stopped and may you struggle in the conference !

You truly are the most delusionalistest fans in the whole wide world, congratulations !!!

dirty jealous scummahs whipped at home by a bunch of nobodies, plucky massive and bestest pompey deserved more, and only robbed of glory by a deflection and a late wonder strike.

It's really not fair and I'm quite concerned and worried about their rapid tumble down the leagues.

No it's okay, as you were - I've got over it already. :)

OK own up, who's responsible for this:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/leonard-strikes-late-to-break-pompey-hearts-1-5781001

The Amazing Pompey Memory Man

5:50 PM on 01/01/2014

Another great win for our heros. Reminds me of the time we beat AC Milan 27 - 0 and were knighted by the Queen.

Can this exciting rollercoaster continue? You bet, we're playing Mars at home next week. I predict a drubbing for the red planet against our mighty warriors. PIP PIP.

It may be a New Year but the skates still show the same delusion.

Once I got back to the car after the afternoon at SMS I caught the last 20 mins of Radio Solent's sport programme. I was in time to hear the tweet about their defeat today not helping their promotion campaign and laughed it off as a nutjob having a little fun,,,, but maybe it wasn't . There was then an interesting conversation between the Solent guy and a skate player which concluded out that as their next game was against "lowly" Accrington they would be able to get 3 points. It was not pointed out that Accrington are only a point behind the Skates. I was expecting the game to be described as a relegation 6 pointer .... but of course not as Accrington are obviously so inferior to the Skates.

Until they begin to show respect for the division they are in , this thread has plenty of mileage in it.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})