Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Portsmouth in radical footballing move as they outline plans for a scouting network.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/barker-wants-scouting-system-in-place-1-5787603

I noticed the picture of them training, it's on the same page, and recognised the brick wall in the background as I've played there. I reckon it's at the University ground down the bottom of Locksway Road. Not too bad as pitches, but it's no Staplewood (or even Wellington). I wonder if they're paying in advance..

I noticed the picture of them training, it's on the same page, and recognised the brick wall in the background as I've played there. I reckon it's at the University ground down the bottom of Locksway Road. Not too bad as pitches, but it's no Staplewood (or even Wellington). I wonder if they're paying in advance..

Top work Jessica, but they announced it to the world in the summer http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/pompey-to-train-on-university-pitches-881242.aspx

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/catlin-we-won-t-break-bank-for-players-1-5789438

Shock horror as deluded ones whinge about being out bid on wages for transfer targets

He said: ‘It’s a competitive market and because we’re Portsmouth Football Club doesn’t give us a God-given right to sign players.

‘In my experience, players will go where they can get their best offer.

‘In this window there are clubs looking to promotion or avoiding relegation.

‘They become a little pressured and panicky and perhaps offer wages they shouldn’t.

‘Owners of other clubs, even at this level, are willing to pump in high hundreds of thousands and even millions of pounds. It’s crazy.

‘For all our gates and how we’re doing commercially, that is not our model.

‘Other clubs have owners funding the wage bill by £1m or £1.5m or higher, so you are up against it.

:mcinnes:

‘In this window there are clubs looking to promotion or avoiding relegation.

‘They become a little pressured and panicky and perhaps offer wages they shouldn’t.

‘Owners of other clubs, even at this level, are willing to pump in high hundreds of thousands and even millions of pounds. It’s crazy.

lol @ taking the moral high ground!

2 observations there for me.

1) The club is being about as hypocritical as it can be. pfc is in no position to lecture about over stretching on wages now or any other day.

2) The first 8 comments from the fans (with perhaps one exception) seem unbelievably sensible. I always thought skate fans were all deluded idiots but maybe there are a few decent ones.

2 observations there for me.

1) The club is being about as hypocritical as it can be. pfc is in no position to lecture about over stretching on wages now or any other day.

2) The first 8 comments from the fans (with perhaps one exception) seem unbelievably sensible. I always thought skate fans were all deluded idiots but maybe there are a few decent ones.

there are about 8 decent ones!

"It’s a competitive market and because we’re Portsmouth Football Club doesn’t give us a God-given right to sign players."

Christ, the hubris of the guy. Did anyone seriously think Pompey do have a God-given right to sign players? I'm sure none of the Pompey faithful are expecting Le Fondre to turn up at the Fortress of Fat, still less Maradonna.

"It’s a competitive market and because we’re Portsmouth Football Club doesn’t give us a God-given right to sign players."

Christ, the hubris of the guy. Did anyone seriously think Pompey do have a God-given right to sign players? I'm sure none of the Pompey faithful are expecting Le Fondre to turn up at the Fortress of Fat, still less Maradonna.

But it that's the thing. They've been fed the propaganda from Factless Allen and his like for so long about being 'a massive club' with players 'desperate to play in front of such passionate fans' ,etc. many of them actually do believe that.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-fighting-to-keep-wallace-1-5789473

‘He’s been unlucky, too. If he’d scored the ones which have hit the bar there would probably be Premier League clubs ringing me up.

Hahaha the two stories have put a smile on my face but this line has to be a wind up

LOL! Although it would be poor form for the skates to bitterly sabotage his career out of spite and misguided pride.

Another story for you nutjobs which I enjoyed:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/271095.html

I love the irony, Hampshire club has waterlogged pitch, game postponned.. 16 miles down the road, another Hampshire club, does not have a waterlogged pitch, game on.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/04/accrington-stanley-boss-james-beattie-arranges-for-fans-to-attend-southampton-v-burnley-after-wasted-trip-to-portsmouth-4249267/

Great comment too:

thats like buying a ticket for a hostel and ending up at the ritz! and in reply to angel pompey play at farton park landfill site wheras saints play in a football stadium

The presidents may need to bring out the chequebook again, in fact, best not leave home without it from now on.

The devil is in the detail tucked away in that Wallace story.

His contract is up in the summer.

They are obviously carpping themselves at the real possibility that he will just sit there for the rest of the campaign, and walk away at the end of the season, leaving them with little more than the training compensation.

The whole thing is a desperate, stage-managed 'For Sale' advert. He is about their only asset, and they need the money.

Yes, they would love him to sign a new contract, but only as a means to keep his price relatively high.

For Catlin's quote; ‘Someone could come in with an offer we can’t turn down and is of great long-term benefit to the club," read; "We are desperately hoping that somebody, somewhere ill make us a half decent offer in the transfer window, otherwise we're stuffed."

‘Other clubs have owners funding the wage bill by £1m or £1.5m or higher, so you are up against it.

:mcinnes:

I smell bullsheet!

Other clubs DO NOT have owners pumping in £1m or £1.5m or higher to fund wages as the financial fair play rules that they are not allowed to spend more than 55% of turnover on wages.

Still, it's unlike anyone from that club to make stuff up is it?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/catlin-we-won-t-break-bank-for-players-1-5789438

Shock horror as deluded ones whinge about being out bid on wages for transfer targets

‘For all our gates and how we’re doing commercially, that is not our model.

‘In the event of a financial tie, you would sincerely hope the allure of Pompey is the tipping balance.

The allure of Pompey?

The what?

Oh yeah I get it - the smell of the fatpipes, the roar of the flames consuming their tatty timber tabernacle because the phew love their smoke bombs and they chose not to install sprinkler systems when they had the chance...

Give me strength.

PlayUpPompeyFanJake2011

1:07 PM on 07/01/2014

Cash (£500,000) + player swap (Fogden) + 20% sell on clause with Bournemouth would be a good deal for Pompey.

Lolage!!! They might get £75K for Wallace tops as he is out of contract in the summer. Many of the buffoons are also unaware that players sales go straight into the debt kitty rather than for Pompey to pay new players.

Being a fan-owned club it'll be interesting to see whether the board divulge whatever small sum they might get for him also.

It's so entertaining.

I've not been on here that much over the Holiday - but didn't the "owners" of pcfc just do EXACTLY this?

Pumped in Money?

So they cannot afford essential maintenance because their own Biz Plan forgot to allow for it due to Player Wages & OpEx costs?

HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT YOU MORONS?

I still wonder if they dressed up the ground improvements from 18 to 20 k. Surely the ground safety would be the same for the 18 k or even 15 k attendances. Were the club told that they were going to have the stadium attendance reduced even further, hence the panic to spend much needed funds. I cannot see that their priority was to increase the ground capacity to 20k when their first thought is to get promotion before ever thinking of 20k crowds again.

I still wonder if they dressed up the ground improvements from 18 to 20 k. Surely the ground safety would be the same for the 18 k or even 15 k attendances. Were the club told that they were going to have the stadium attendance reduced even further, hence the panic to spend much needed funds. I cannot see that their priority was to increase the ground capacity to 20k when their first thought is to get promotion before ever thinking of 20k crowds again.

I think they said as much when the cash injection was revealed.

lol - former hero's are going to be telephoned to convert their pledges - I would suggest they just say take it out of what you owe me.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/trust-target-remaining-pledgers-in-pompey-shareholding-push-1-5792375

Also got to laugh that they print that some of the pledges are fans of 'rival clubs' - I can't believe Eastleigh fans would stoop to that!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/blues-weigh-up-double-swoop-1-5792394

Pompey are casting their eye over Jake Jervis and Nicky Shorey in training.

The duo have been with the Blues since the start of the week as boss Richie Barker weighs up making a move for the free agents.

As revealed by The News on Monday, Barker is interested in recruiting Jervis – who made three loan appearances for Pompey last season – after his exit from Turkish club Elazigspor was officially cleared by Fifa upon the opening of the transfer window.

The striker, who has a number of clubs looking at him, has been involved in training at Furze Lane since Monday as Barker assesses whether to pursue his interest.

Left-back Shorey was released by Bristol City last week after ex-Blues boss Steve Cotterill decided against renewing his short-term deal

lol - former hero's are going to be telephoned to convert their pledges - I would suggest they just say take it out of what you owe me.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/trust-target-remaining-pledgers-in-pompey-shareholding-push-1-5792375

Also got to laugh that they print that some of the pledges are fans of 'rival clubs' - I can't believe Eastleigh fans would stoop to that!

Hark....is that the sound of a penny dropping I can hear over yonder....?

I'm getting slightly concerned that we're having serious cashflow problems. A lot of stories coming out of the club recently seem to have an underlying theme of needing more cash. You've got this one, the HNW putting in more money, the Wallace one (come and buy him before he's out of contract).

Hope I'm wrong but I am starting to get worried. With so many matches being 'free' with season tickets sales were high but there can't be many paying every match, and the board may have an eye on next season. If they've budgeted on crowds going up and / or promotion we could have problems. Only natural that with the buzz of being fan owned fading another season in L2, or heaven forbid non league, could see a drop off in numbers attending.

Hello, remember when we hounded you out of the club, booed you, called you greedy, attacked you on Twitter, forced you into a public statement of support for the Trust, then booed you again when you came back?

Well forget the wages we owe you, we'll be trying to reduce that agreed figure sometime soon anyway, but could you give us £900 please towards our drinks bill?

And we only take cash.

Only 2,300 bestest fans converted their pledges?

On the other side, it's pretty much a 90% conversion rate, which is pretty good.

Hope they don't try to contact any recently deceased - that would be very awkward.

Weren't we told at one point that over 3000 had pledged ? Turns put it was only 2600. Still, pretty close by Pompey maths.

Surely any extra money the trust gets now could only increase their shareholding if they use it to buy shares back from the 'presidents' ? Not much incentive for the 'lost' 275 to pay up is it?

'Hello.... Mr Kitson? Yes, Hello. About that £100 pledge you made to save pfc. Could we have the other £900 now?'

Not a phone call I'd like to have to make myself, not if the stuff in the secret footballer is true anyway

Edited by Winchester Red

She'll make a splash alright, if she doesn't get harpooned by a boat full of Japanese fishermen first.

Her coming in off a ten metre board could signal the end for Tipner and other low-lying flood-threatened areas of the city.

She does appear to be drifting rapidly from a job in politics to an obsession with 'look at me, look at me, look at me!'

Weren't we told at one point that over 3000 had pledged ? Turns put it was only 2600. Still, pretty close by Pompey maths.

Surely any extra money the trust gets now could only increase their shareholding if they use it to buy shares back from the 'presidents' ? Not much incentive for the 'lost' 275 to pay up is it?

That article very carefully says 2300 shareholder names. Bearing in mind that there were plenty of £1000 pledges that consisted of a group of people donating rather than an individual ( Factless being one of them ) I wonder just how many actual £1000 'shares' were bought?

Nail on the head imo.

I doubt this is the work of the pledge conversion team, or even the engagement manager, surely even that lot understand that harrassing people for money in the toughest financial month in the year is just plain aggressive and nasty.

No, for me, this is the work of the presidents, they had to stump up cash just to get the ground cleared for the public and they want it back pretty f*cking dam quick!

Or perhaps they are facing the prospect at coughing up another large bill just to get fortress fatpipes through another week, and they want the bestest to pay for it.

As for the players, the skates think they have forgotten about the bestest atmosphere in world football, how could that possibly happen?

4035622040.jpg

LOL

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/portsmouth-mp-penny-mordaunt-set-to-make-a-splash-1-5794514

MP Penny Mordaunt has been revealed as a contestant on ITV’s smash hit diving show Splash!

The 40-year-old will appear on the programme presented by Tom Daley a week on Saturday.

Over to you Rallyboy...

Fatpenny's bellyflop should be a stupendous spectacle, perhaps it would be even more spectacular if only it could be arranged for her to dive swathed in a Gobsh*te shirt into a child's inflatable paddling pool positioned on the hallowed fatpipes potato patch from the commanding height of their tatty timber roof. I'd pay good money to be so royally entertained

Fatpenny's bellyflop should be a stupendous spectacle, perhaps it would be even more spectacular if only it could be arranged for her to dive swathed in a Gobsh*te shirt into a child's inflatable paddling pool positioned on the hallowed fatpipes potato patch from the commanding height of their tatty timber roof. I'd pay good money to be so royally entertained

It's all symbolic and a nice intertextual reference. She will dive into the pool and end up 20.000 leagues below the sea. In Pompey maths that's 4 leagues which is incidentally how many leagues Pompey will be below Saints next season. But will Porky Penny crash into the conference too?

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})