Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Without getting too carried away on their potential Conference future (I'm afraid I think they'll survive relatively comfortably this season) it is worth remembering that the Conference are very, very strict with their financial management rules and are not afraid to dish out big punishments to clubs that don't comply...

Yep, with short-term debts of less than £10 million, and turnover of several hundred thousand a year, they will surely walk the league.

As Nick reminded us earlier, just staying up in L2 this season is no good to them. Their financial modelling NEEDS promotion this season. They have deferred the "compromise" payments into the future in order to use the remaining parachute payments to purchase the club. The last PP went to PCC and Robinson instead of the footballing debts. They gambled on higher revenues from higher leagues to pay off the debts over 4 years.

They are still f*cked.

Yay.

Without getting too carried away on their potential Conference future (I'm afraid I think they'll survive relatively comfortably this season) it is worth remembering that the Conference are very, very strict with their financial management rules and are not afraid to dish out big punishments to clubs that don't comply...

Except that, this being Pompey, the financial rules that every other club has to abide by don't apply. (Well, they haven't yet anyway)

I think this an opportune moment to mention that this thread shows no sign of petering out, indeed its growth seems to have accelerated with their ongoing implosion contributing massively to the prospect of their car-crash being extended indefinitely, thus boosting general LOL'age and nutjob morale into the bargain. Who was it said they're 'the gift that keeps on giving' :D? Roll on 2014!

Just a small detail and regarding Factless Allen, so no surprises here. It is just that when he reported on the upcoming match they have just lost, he referred to the Skates' opponents as "lowly" Bristol City.Either the irony of that statement doesn't register with him, or he genuinely believes the Skates to be in some superior position where the adjective somehow doesn't apply to them too.

good point from Torres there, the Conference doesn't mess about, they shoot prisoners, so there would be no room for transgressing.

However I do expect them to survive, possibly spinning a last day survival into the greatest great escape since Alan Knight was wandering about with soil in his trousers.

Bumping along in League Two would seriously mess up income and that is what they need beyond anything else.

Someone has to fund the revival, and every year they fail to go up, the arena gets more rickety, and the enthusiasm for pretending to be fan-owned diminishes.

Meanwhile I need to get to St Marys to see if we can wrestle control of 7th/8th in the country, away from a team that spent more than £100M in the summer.

While the few need to prepare for the biggest match in their history against Northampton Town.

Suddenly it looks like Christmas.

I still dont think they will be punished enough until they lose Fratton Park. That is their rallying point and where they stand by their standard. No ground and then they will peter out, if they keep the ground they will always have something to rally around. Only when they lost that would they regret their past misdemeanors.

If they stay up this year then they will stabilise in League Two and the chance of them dropping out of the Football League will be lost. Once they (finally) pay off the football creditors they will be able to spend money and will eventually get themselves back to the upper reaches of L1 or into the Championship.

However, if they drop down to the conference it'll take them even longer to pay back whichever debts they are actually going to bother repaying given that their income will drop massively AGAIN (home supporters and away supporters down, tickets even cheaper, no TV money at all, no interest for sponsors with no coverage outside the town itself). On top of that, with only 2 up out of the conference compared with 4 up from L2 you could argue that it's much, much harder to get out of that league.

If they go down now they could be there for years and will well and truly disappear from the consciousness of most football fans.

That'll do for me ...........initially, as the commencement of the next round of death by a thousand cuts. I want the arrogant gobsh!te fans to really suffer (I know they have a percentage of decent ones).

Fair point.

BUT the Conference is full of very professionally run clubs on small budgets but with big dreams. Who understand they need basic infrastructure.

At every step in their fall, pcfc have shown nothing but contempt for the League they are in, and would do the same again. The Conference is a bloody hard League to get out of.

With their set up and attitude, they'd manage it easily.

Still heading downwards.

Agreed, they might slip out of the Conference which would be well worth celebrating.

People say they expect them to survive but I don't think them going down is unrealistic by any means.

I was chatting to some season ticket holding skate friends of mine and apparently the players have completely lost interest. These guys have been lifelong fans and for the first time they are considering not bothering going to away games because they are fed up of travelling hundreds of miles every week to watch their team play, only for the players to barely even try.

They also reckon it also goes way beyond just being in a bad run of form and being demoralised, they think the players know that if they don't get promotion the **** will hit the fan and they know their not good enough to go up. Combined with the knowledge that the club are a complete shambles all the way to the top, it means the players simply don't want to be there.

The problem Barker has is that he's already spouting about how the players don't appreciate what a great/big club Pompey are, but if the team sees through the manager's BS it makes the problem ten times worse. I think now is an absolutely critical time for them, IMO unless Barker turns the dressing room around in the next 6-7 weeks I think they'll go down.

Think the players are not fools either, irrespective where they play. Thing is RB is not a motivational manager , think he believes his own hype , he just got lucky with his 2 promotions . I often think how Nigel ( bless him the mans is a legend) got a team spirit going in our league 1 days. The man knew how to motivate players , took the philosophy we are all together as one , no matter what happens in public - it's a united front , anything else is a sign of weakness .

Think their players are at the rough end of a raw deal , coming in and sprouting off big time to the players gains nothing but shatters an already low confidence - what they needed was a real manager in a Tisdale mold type - but I guess they knew or know they got a mate of one of the board.

If they go into admin in the conference then they're dead.

You can't ditch a percentage of your debt in the conference and come out with a fraction CVA.

You pay 100% of your debt or you fold. That's it. Simple.

It's just taken Salisbury 4 years to come out of admin because they had to clear 100% of their debt

It's just taken Salisbury 4 years to come out of admin because they had to clear 100% of their debt

And because Salisbury hadn't got their affairs in order by the end of the season in which they entered administration, the Conference booted them out, so they ended up back in the Southern League.

Had to double take the headline article:

It was hello – now it’s goodbye. 2013 in their own words

I thought it might be about a new club anthem, "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" , might appeal to a few sailor boys ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTbWtacquk

They'll stay up this season but watching them sweat is fun. However, the grim reality of lower league football and having no money to spend for the next few years, is sinking in and watching them slowly stagnate and argue amongst themselves is something to look forward to.

Are you Santa in disguise?

I still dont think they will be punished enough until they lose Fratton Park. That is their rallying point and where they stand by their standard. No ground and then they will peter out, if they keep the ground they will always have something to rally around. Only when they lost that would they regret their past misdemeanors.

Fratton park will become a mill around their necks over the coming years. Joking aside it really is falling apart and the PDT have a maintenence budget about the size of a Tesco Express store.

They have already had to close off sections of their ground as they could not get a safety certificate unless they did so. Alternatively they could have paid for the repairs, but as mentioned above, they have no maintenece budget!

Bit by bit, fratton park really is falling down.

IIRC we suspected their safety officer was turning a blind eye to many of the H&S issues at the fatpipes, with the terrible scenes in the West End recently I assume suspicions of ours will become a thing of the past, and that all H&S officers will be empowered to comdemm any building from the public they see fit, even if the bestest atmosphere in world football say otherwise.

BcH8oxfIUAEmLKF.jpg

Merry Christmas Nutjobs

Two clubs that Pompey remind me of are Luton Town & Grimsby Town - two reasonable-sized provincial clubs with a long league history and even a bit of top-flight history, both of whom have slipped into the Conference and found it incredibly hard to escape it again. They will really think they will walk it if they drop down and it will tough (just as they did in the CCC, L1 & L2)

Two clubs that Pompey remind me of are Luton Town & Grimsby Town - two reasonable-sized provincial clubs with a long league history and even a bit of top-flight history, both of whom have slipped into the Conference and found it incredibly hard to escape it again. They will really think they will walk it if they drop down and it will tough (just as they did in the CCC, L1 & L2)

One of the (many) things they don't get is that being a 'big' club, or having larger attendances than your rivals, doesn't mean you're going to achieve anything in any division. Just look at how the Sheffield clubs have struggled to get out of the leagues the've dropped into. Their attendances are larger than the skates and they're definitely 'bigger' clubs. Look at Leeds FFS - stuck in the CC for how long now?

The only thing that gets you promoted is having a better team than your rivals, and even then you won't walk it. We got promoted from L1 and then the CC because we had Lambert, Morgan, Lallana, Fonte, etc playing for us, all of which are now proven in the Premiership.

pompey don't have a team, in fact they don't really have ANY stand out players at all. They're only going one way, and it isn't upwards.

Edited by Winchester Red

You can probably add Oxford to that list too, although they're seemingly back on the up. After spending 5 years in what is now League 2 they were relegated to the Conference, where they spent 4 years. 10 years after relegation to the 4th league division and it finally looks like they may be working their way back up, despite being one of if not the biggest side in the division they've played in.

Right now we're the closest we've ever been to seeing justice served. 2 points. Out of the Football League for their crimes would be fair. Shame the Football Authorities didn't do it sooner, but I guess its been more fun this way. Happy New Year DFCSB's.

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is for them to get relegated again

Cheers fella

Signed

waterside.saint

45 & 3/4s

I wouldn't go that far, it could be TCWTB for all you know. Hugs and kisses?? :o

oi,,,, rallys i can andle (web fingerd muver ****in skate c**t) cheeting ****ers, is liverbull,(yep thats mockney) BUT!!! TCWTB now thats a lot below the belt,

Merry christmas whitey G Ohio S and you rallyboy yer c**t:D

looks like the open top bus is back on again,,,,,

just seen your result,,,,better make that two

Edited by mack rill
your f***in result