Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

As usual Im a bit confused...it says the loanees have put in 50k each!! I thought they had put in massive amounts to get control of the club. Can somebody also tell me why they have made priority to get the ground up to 20k capacity as it is patently obvious that will not be needed for some years. i do wonder if it is a smokescrenn that perhaps they were under pressure to reduce the ground capacity ever more due to safety issues and so do a thing saying it is to increase capacity. i would assume the safety measures they are putting in are the same needed for a 10k ground or a 20k one

I'd assume that as the attendance isn't likely to get near capacity in the next few years, no-one will ever have to disclose the actual safety-approved limit?

I'm torn between wanting to congratulate them on actually investing in the infrastructure, and laughing at the lack of fan involvement in the "shareholding" decision (on a par with their representation on the board and the actual value of their "shares") as well as their original estimate being so far out, and the utter needlessness of actually increasing capacity if that's genuinely the goal.

Whichever way, LOLz.

Why would you give an 18 month contract to a striker who has only played 42 games in the past 2.5 years and scored 2 goals. Many CBs score more than that a season.

Tom Naylor has scored that many goals for Chesterfield this season - and he plays for Newport County. :D

Re: Newport signing Rene Howe - not sure, he's experienced at this level but I also saw him bigging himself up on Dating In The Dark, so slightly cynical. :D

Newport need a striker though, Conor Washington has dried up, Aaron O'Connor still injured (and just slated the manager on Twitter for asking him to come in for 8 hours to rehab), Zebroski is injured too, Danny Crow is still fat, and Christian Jolley seems to be out on the wing a bit too much now. They have quite a lot of strikers compared to, say, Portsmouth...

Newport have done their bit for the Portsmouth relegation cause though, lost home and away to Northampton - Accrington and Bristol Rovers away this month too...

It's truly astounding that some of the skates out there really do think that they have made an 'investment' :mcinnes:

It's also quite astonishing that there are some skates out there that are prepared to throw more money at their 'investment' so as not to dilute their shareholding :roll:

I guess it goes to show that they still haven't cottoned on to the fact that the £1000 share option was actually no more than a donation of goodwill!

Now, now, it also gave them the right to purchase really cheap STs for this season (and thereby give the club more money) and complain like hell when the cost goes up significantly next season.

No wonder they're all for 'safe standing' - would save them on ground improvements.

Actually it would probably cost them loads to convert the seats to be safe standing areas, assuming the proposal uses the German "barriers with seats attached" method to allow standing - and we've been repeatedly told how "unsafe" standing in seated areas is for 20 years so I don't doubt that will be the case even in the depths of the Football League. Probably wouldn't lead to much increase in capacity with the allocated ticketed standing area and barrier either, most stands are now built for seats and the sight lines and step heights are different to a terrace.

I'm sure their safe standing support is actually just a piece of fan-friendly fluffery, they can't afford to budget for "longstanding" roof leaks, never mind rebuilding the place for similar capacity.

Actually it would probably cost them loads to convert the seats to be safe standing areas, assuming the proposal uses the German "barriers with seats attached" method to allow standing - and we've been repeatedly told how "unsafe" standing in seated areas is for 20 years so I don't doubt that will be the case even in the depths of the Football League. Probably wouldn't lead to much increase in capacity with the allocated ticketed standing area and barrier either, most stands are now built for seats and the sight lines and step heights are different to a terrace.

I'm sure their safe standing support is actually just a piece of fan-friendly fluffery, they can't afford to budget for "longstanding" roof leaks, never mind rebuilding the place for similar capacity.

The bestest can save money in these harsh economic times by attending fatpipes with shampoo already lathered into their hair. The plentiful rainwater leaks would leave them shower-fresh and fragrant

She's just very fortunate to be representing the most f***ed up city in the country that has it's palms open like Oliver Twist on a regular basis. Is there anything in Portsmuff that doesn't need renovating? You should've heard all the Tories ringing in to support her on Cleggie's breakfast show this morning. Cringeworthy.

Can`t understand why you aren`t getting excited as the sexiest MP gets ready to strip off! http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/splash-britains-sexiest-female-mp-3001033

The bestest can save money in these harsh economic times by attending fatpipes with shampoo already lathered into their hair. The plentiful rainwater leaks would leave them shower-fresh and fragrant

As with all else among their fans, it's all relative (with apologies to Rallyboy for pinching his excellent line ;)).

Newport tried their best, but a late equailiser away to Accrington dropped Stanley back below the Skates.

Accrington have dropped 3 places due to that - Accrington, Bristol Rovers, Torquay and Northampton are your teams to back... plus Bury, Wycombe and Mansfield just in case.

Let's also not forget that in the past few seasons Portsmouth have been significantly worse in the second half of the season than in the first...

Newport tried their best, but a late equailiser away to Accrington dropped Stanley back below the Skates.

Accrington have dropped 3 places due to that - Accrington, Bristol Rovers, Torquay and Northampton are your teams to back... plus Bury, Wycombe and Mansfield just in case.

Let's also not forget that in the past few seasons Portsmouth have been significantly worse in the second half of the season than in the first...

The non-league abyss gapes invitingly, no doubt the denizens of the deep are smacking their rubbery lips in anticipation of mouth-watering fixtures with the demoted fishy phew

Edited by Waterside.saint

I enjoyed the BBC report of the match.

"Oxford United lost further ground on the automatic promotion places in League Two after being held to a goalless draw by lowly Portsmouth. " :lol:

Not sleeping giants after all then, well behind the mighty Oxford in lg2.

This is brilliant. After a plucky point away from home to the mighty Oxford they still fall to within 1 of relegation. Please, please, please get relegated. Once they lose their golden share, justice will have been served! I shall be following the league 2 results as a ritual as of now! (If I wasn't already ;) )

I enjoyed the BBC report of the match.

"Oxford United lost further ground on the automatic promotion places in League Two after being held to a goalless draw by lowly Portsmouth. " :lol:

Not sleeping giants after all then, well behind the mighty Oxford in lg2.

Priceless, but accurate reporting.

Happily, #lowlyportsmouth remain in bottom position according to Projected Points based on Recent Form

http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/D3/runin.html

Team Projected Points on Recent Form

1 S****horpe United 99.5

2 Chesterfield 83.6

3 Burton 91.2

4 Rochdale 70.3

5 Fleetwood Town 76.2

6 Southend United 75.6

7 Oxford United 65.4

8 Newport 71.0

9 Morecambe 56.0

10 Plymouth Argyle 65.5

11 Cheltenham Town 64.5

12 Dagenham & Redbridge 50.0

13 Exeter City 53.0

14 AFC Wimbledon 45.7

15 Hartlepool United 47.8

16 York City 63.0

17 Wycombe Wanderers 45.6

18 Mansfield Town 49.0

19 Bristol Rovers 54.6

20 Bury 58.5

21 Portsmouth 43.8

22 Accrington Stanley 49.1

23 Torquay United 52.0

24 Northampton Town 45.1

No shots on target - despite the new Ryan "100 goals a season" Taylor playing up front , 5 players booked - so much for the " entertainers "

Isn't 5 players booked in one game an automatic fine for the club, or is the Premier League only?

2 different scenarios for Radio Solent:

1. How they previewed the Pompey match this afternoon at approx 2.03 this afternoon;

Pompey... big club ... great travelling support ... Oxford manager could have been Pompey manager but not good enough for Pompey ... Good chance of 3 points today as Oxford a bit dodgy at the moment....

2. Their dilemma for next season

Do they keep the Non League show at 6.00 pm or do they move it forward so that they can talk about Pompey??

2 different scenarios for Radio Solent:

1. How they previewed the Pompey match this afternoon at approx 2.03 this afternoon;

Pompey... big club ... great travelling support ... Oxford manager could have been Pompey manager but not good enough for Pompey ... Good chance of 3 points today as Oxford a bit dodgy at the moment....

2. Their dilemma for next season

Do they keep the Non League show at 6.00 pm or do they move it forward so that they can talk about Pompey??

Thing is will they still do commentary on their matches., if they are relegated!! :rolleyes:

No wonder they're all for 'safe standing' - would save them on ground improvements.

Not to mention a chance to increase their capacity. That way they can get much needed extra revenue, currently lost due to tens of thousands of the bestest being turned away each week from a packed Krap Nottarf.

Oh...

Pretty good result for them today, an away draw at a promotion chasing club. My money on them being relegated at 40/1 starting to look like a pretty decent bet though :D

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/8845964/sky-bet-league-2-guide

There is agreement from League 2 supporters that Portsmouth - - will bounce straight back up. Fleetwood, Cheltenham and Chesterfield are rated by the fans as the sides most likely to join the Fratton Park outfit in securing promotion.

:lol:

Manager: Guy WhittinghamLast season: 24th in League 1 (relegated)

Winner 5/1, promotion 5/6, top-seven finish 1/5, top-half finish 1/25, bottom-half finish 11/1, relegation 40/1.

View from the stands - Tayler Willson

What are the expectations for your club this season? A new season also starts with a new era for Portsmouth Football Club following the completion of the fans' takeover and this undoubtedly comes with expectation. After selling 10,000 season tickets, Guy Whittingham's side will have an impressive following home and away. Pompey will be and should be pushing for promotion and fans fully expect to challenge for the play-offs at the very least.

:lol::lol:

I don't know why you all are focused on the wrong end of the table! They are still only 12 points away from the play-offs easy to get with 21 games left, newish manager syndrome and fantastic contacts with the other clubs to have their pick of reserve and young players. You know it's going to happen, Wembley beckons again after a season of cup finals.

This has to be.one of the most entertaining failures of all time, from FA cup to relegation from the football league in a few season, all the while denying the wrong doing, and ignoring the facts. I would feel bad for them if it was not so funny.

I know that one should not say never, so I'll put it like this.

I cannot, ever, in my existence, see me feeling any kind of sadness, remorse, sympathy, empathy or badness about what they are going through. They gloated when they thought we were for the knacker's yard, they have refused to acknowledge any wrongdoing at their club which resulted in achievements that they could glory in. They have perpetuated lies about our club and it's owner.They want the history & glory but not that little bit about how it was achieved. They can go to hell, if hell will have them, but the slower the better suits me as I sit and laugh, giggle. PMSL & wallow in schadenfreude at their 'troubles'.

Come on, you know the script by now.

Just like one of Avram's business contacts in Amsterdam, they will overstretch themselves in the window.

They will ignore their own wagecap and do anything to ensure survival.

Unwise contracts will be given to fragile donkeys, these bits of paper will cause problems after the parachute payments have ended - but it will be enough to keep them in the football league and it only leaves a problem for tomorrow - the day that never comes.

And then the annoying bit.

The current suicidal close-encounter with disaster will be written out of history.

Rather than a spotlight being turned on the mismanagement at ALL levels within the club, their survival will be hailed as a great escape, it will be peddled to the few as an achievement on a par with past glories, a launchpad for the bestest plucky promotion push next season.

All of it roared on by the amazing travelling blue army who can take either 2,003 or 2,365 (depending on which local media figure is accurate) to a local derby one hour away.

Let's remember that sleepygiant Coventry took 7,000 to an away game, little Leeds take more than that to the opening of an envelope, even struggling West Ham would fill Oxford's ground.

If the few now realise that their beloved lowly pompey is just a League Two minnow, then that is a decent away following.

But if they are still claiming to be the best fans in world football, supporting a bigger club than Celtic, Barcelona, Boca Juniors, Poznan and Liverpool, then it all looks a little bit sad.

In fact it looks ridiculous.

How many did they take to Oxford? One of the few said on 606 that they took 4,000?!?!

But as the attendance was only 8443. And Oxford average for the season is 6275.

I'm sure the average club in that division doesn't take 2000 to to Oxford.

Also for Plymouth at Oxford the attendance was over 10,000

So is this even more manipulation of figures by the few? Do i really need to ask?

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})