Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Another day, a new meme with a brand new Portsmyth

CrYI4xhWYAAtjfK.jpg

Comical, given that the club didn't announce the travel package until almost a week after the draw, and at over £1000 it was around £700 more than the cheapest return flights still available. Me and the wife are doing the whole thing for a few hundred quid less than the quoted cost for the club package per person, with two of us going, taking direct flights out (not the cheapest ones), and two nights' hotel accommodation (not the cheapest place). If it was just me going I'd be paying over £600 less than the club's offer, which was frankly extortionate and poorly thought out.

Also, Celtic, not exactly known for their sparse travelling support, took all of 200 in the Champions League Play-Off round in the round before - pretty confident we'll manage to beat that turnout, even for a MIDWEEK AWAY GAME IN ASIA, ffs. :facepalm:

But apparently this is somehow "bad". :D

Edited by The9

I'm starting to accept that the clear budget advantage they seem to have over the likes of Crawley and massive squad of journeymen they have paid to drop a league or two is likely to give them a reasonable chance of promotion this year. Despite the utter incompetence and inability of McInnes and Catlin to run the club properly. Money talks as such.

Nevertheless I'm reasonably confident that if they get to L1 they will have blown a stack of cash on player purchases, long contracts and excessive wages that will inhibit their progress beyond that for a good while.

At some point they'll also have to deal with the chaotic ownership system with 48% or so of the club owned by the Trust which now contributes financially what it gets from tombolas while also deterring any additional capital investment from the HNWs who own the rest currently as well as deterring any outside additional injection of fresh equity capital too. Can't see the Trust accepting further ownership dilution without a nice little civil war taking place. Maybe they'll try and come up with some debt bond issue idea to get around the equity ownership problem to raise more cash but it would be pretty flaky and put them back in their usual position of owing money to anybody reckless enough to think that it's a good fixed term investment.

Edited by TopGun

I'm still amazed they haven't taken their enormous competitive advantage out of that division upwards in 3 years of trying. It's bloody hilarious they're still down there despite having a load more cash than everyone else in the division, the best bit is every season they do that without improving the ground is another year they won't be able to compete at Championship level when they eventually get back there. Their ground is their greatest asset and biggest problem at the same time.

I'm still amazed they haven't taken their enormous competitive advantage out of that division upwards in 3 years of trying. It's bloody hilarious they're still down there despite having a load more cash than everyone else in the division, the best bit is every season they do that without improving the ground is another year they won't be able to compete at Championship level when they eventually get back there. Their ground is their greatest asset and biggest problem at the same time.

They have upgraded some of the toilets apparently.

They have upgraded some of the toilets apparently.

Yeah, I mentioned that after last season's annual Newport County victory in Fratton. :) They're much better than they were, glad they wasted the money on something that would need to be destroyed to modernise the ground anyway.

I've told you before Danbert, management summary please. You don't expect the board to actually sully themselves reading the merda there, do you? :-)

Mind you, I think I trust your judgement on its quality...

That would be telling, but here's the article's top-rated comment:

I've specifically made an account to point out that this is the worst article I've ever read on this pathetic ad ridden website and that is saying something with the amount of mediocrity that the news spouts out on a daily basis.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/catlin-league-changes-would-be-catastrophic-for-pompey-1-7561446

Catlin: "The outcome for us would be catastrophic, running into many hundreds of thousands of pounds lost through the reduction of four home fixtures."

Boo-hoo... so the current club that plays at Fratton Park would be financially shafted.... Now they know what the creditors to the previous club that played at Fratton Park felt like...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/catlin-league-changes-would-be-catastrophic-for-pompey-1-7561446

Catlin: "The outcome for us would be catastrophic, running into many hundreds of thousands of pounds lost through the reduction of four home fixtures."

Boo-hoo... so the current club that plays at Fratton Park would be financially shafted.... Now they know what the creditors to the previous club that played at Fratton Park felt like...

‘For a club like Portsmouth trying to do things the right way, these changes will potentially kill our aspirations moving forward.’

Really...since when

Isn't this the 'boycott' where they were all going to buy tickets, so the club wouldn't lose out, but then not turn up in protest? Looks like they've forgotten about the first bit....

‘For a club like Portsmouth trying to do things the right way, these changes will potentially kill our aspirations moving forward.’

Really...since when

well they werent moaning about parachute payments a few years back and conveniently had an extra one bunged to them

well they werent moaning about parachute payments a few years back and conveniently had an extra one bunged to them

They didn't get an "extra" one, they got an "early" one from the next year's payment to keep them out of admin while they were in the Prem so the league didn't have the embarrassment of one of their members ceasing to exist mid-season.

Isn't this the 'boycott' where they were all going to buy tickets, so the club wouldn't lose out, but then not turn up in protest? Looks like they've forgotten about the first bit....

Yeah, it's amazing, anyone would think it isn't a boycott at all, it's just a bunch of people avoiding going to a fairly pointless match they don't want to pay for. :mcinnes:

It's highly amusing that we sold 5 times more tickets to a Thursday night game in Asia in one day than they have for the closest thing they currently have to a local derby altogether.

And I've been part of 80-something away fans in Crawley for a JPT game, so I know all about tinpot.

And on twitter, those 37 fans are nasty villains, all paying money into the coffers of the EFL/FA/Sky conspiracy which consistently stops their club from getting promoted.

As opposed to "people paying money to their club to watch a match".

I'm quite enjoying Plymouth showing them what being a big club at this level looks like. I wonder how many Plymouth would get in the Prem?

Oh, 17,800, which is the capacity of Home Park - about the number Fratton currently holds depending on the current safety certificate isn't it? Strange how Wikipedia still says 21,100... or 20,662 according to the Football Ground Guide... I wonder how many it actually is? Couldn't find it on the Skate OS.

Bloody hope so. Much more fun to be had watching their fan "ownership" (sic) model struggle as they climb the leagues.

Can someone remind me if that Robinson bloke, the property developer who facilitated the sale of the areas to Tesco, was/is any of the following?: Portsmouth fan, "High Net Worth" owner, still involved in club-decision making?

Fair play to them, they have certainly turned their backs on the Checkatrade trophy.

Ticket sales for the Reading U23 home game are hovering around 130 at the moment.

Yes, 130. :scared:

That'll be a decent boycott if they can keep that number down.

Possibly the most decentest.

Fair play to them, they have certainly turned their backs on the Checkatrade trophy.

Ticket sales for the Reading U23 home game are hovering around 130 at the moment.

Yes, 130. :scared:

That'll be a decent boycott if they can keep that number down.

Possibly the most decentest.

I'd be interested to know how many we got for Saints' (U23) game against Reading U23s yesterday. ;)

Behind closed doors at Staplewood....probably a couple of hundred ;-)

Thought as much. :)

We're currently taking more than twice the number to a midweek first team away cup group match in Israel that they've sold for a midweek first team home cup group match.

Edited by The9

They're so desperate to find a stick to hit us with that they seem to have forgotten you can travel to other places in the world without using a football clubs official travel package.

But that requires a degree of initiative, organisation and intelligence. You can see how they just wouldn't understand.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})