Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Amazing after just 2 matches all the teams in the 4th division have dropped points. Can't imagine that happens very often at the start of a season. Good news for the phew of course, it means as they sit joint top of the table they are only separated by a 2 points difference.

Because I was on call for work last night I couldn't partake in my normal after match refreshments , so drove to our game . First time I've actually heard Cookie talk on Solent . God ,he's like a throwback Mike Bassett, especially when talking about a " bit of handbags first half" , together with all the nonsense about their support. I did laugh out loud when he ended the interview with " Morcombe will be a tough game , if we can get 4 points from Morcombe & Crewe away that'll give us a bit of momentum " . Put our draw into a bit of perspective .

Because I was on call for work last night I couldn't partake in my normal after match refreshments , so drove to our game . First time I've actually heard Cookie talk on Solent . God ,he's like a throwback Mike Bassett, especially when talking about a " bit of handbags first half" , together with all the nonsense about their support. I did laugh out loud when he ended the interview with " Morcombe will be a tough game , if we can get 4 points from Morcombe & Crewe away that'll give us a bit of momentum " . Put our draw into a bit of perspective .

Morecambe seem to have unearthed a bit of a gem in some scouser they have on loan who's scoring for fun, and as a result don't look like the relegation favourite they were a couple of weeks ago, so that'll be interesting for them.

The Villain-o-meter is in full swing with the reports of the heroic 0-0 win at Crewe. The Pompey team last time they played at Crewe in 2013 were...

a mish-mash of football’s waifs and strays

whereas Saturdays valiant heroes were...

Like watching Team GB in the Rio cycling velodrome

It really is a different world down there, isnt it?

While they have plenty of time to sort it out so they are still likely to go up, why have they not attempted to solve the annual problem of not being able to break teams down?

Every season they draw games because of this, when will this simple truth dawn on their manager? :o

Even I'm getting annoyed about it now, and I generally find that sort of thing funny.

To be fair, you live on the island and she has 'blown the lot'. Chances are pretty damn high that you two have already met....

To be honest I wasn't going to correct anyone until you said that.

When I mentioned living on the same Island I was referring to the British Isles rather than just the sceptic isle.

While they have plenty of time to sort it out so they are still likely to go up, why have they not attempted to solve the annual problem of not being able to break teams down?

Every season they draw games because of this, when will this simple truth dawn on their manager? :o

Even I'm getting annoyed about it now, and I generally find that sort of thing funny.

They worked out what the problem was ages ago, it's an FA/EFL/Sky conspiracy.

To be honest I wasn't going to correct anyone until you said that.

When I mentioned living on the same Island I was referring to the British Isles rather than just the septic isle.

I fixed it for you, 'septic' is from the Greek root σηπτικός ‎(sēptikós, “characterized by putridity”), whereas 'sceptic' is from the Greek root σκεπτικός ‎(skeptikós, “thoughtful, inquiring”).

A full complement of L2 games this midweek... Lovely midweek evening trip to Morecambe for the (very) few tonight. Given that my trip to Morecambe 2 seasons ago took the best part of 8 hours I do hope they don't get stuck around Winchester like everyone seemed to last night for hours on end...

Edited by The9

I didn't even know Morecambe had a team...

Their fixture list reads like a railway timetable of delight for trainspotters - they get to go to little stations that only the hardiest of travellers will ever visit.

We can all hope that Barry Roche continues his marvellous scoring record against the Fish Feckers.

He's the goalie.

I didn't even know Morecambe had a team...

Their fixture list reads like a railway timetable of delight for trainspotters - they get to go to little stations that only the hardiest of travellers will ever visit.

The 657 must be having the time of their little lives

96cfhg.jpg

Who's the biggest fishy club in English football?

Southend? Doesn't matter, Pompey will claim the title anyway

Tbf the 4th division tiddlers have a right to feel robbed, after all, they were the original 'Shrimps', a nickname that they could have been so proud of today.

I just scrolled through the Pompey hashtag and was going to post some classic reactions but there's just too many. POL must be brilliant. #CookOut

pompey pravda think they 'slipped to a thoroughly undeserved 2-0 defeat.'

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-slip-to-defeat-at-morecambe-1-7529863

The rest of us think it was another instalment of karmic payback :nod:

FFS. Was banking on them being promoted this season so we could start to witness the early clamour for new owners in order for them to become a 'competitive' upper League 1/Championship team.

This perpetual failure in Division 4 (four) simply isn't funny anymore....

FFS. Was banking on them being promoted this season so we could start to witness the early clamour for new owners in order for them to become a 'competitive' upper League 1/Championship team.

This perpetual failure in Division 4 (four) simply isn't funny anymore....

Now that their hopes of Walking The League this season seem to evaporating rapidly, you may still get your wish, but with the revised ambition of Competitive Non League/Division 4 Team. :)

Experience tells me these funny defeats against fellow minnows just get wiped from history as soon as they turn a corner, so make the most of them.

If they beat Greendale on Saturday and Trumpton the following week they'll be right up the top - even more joint top than they are now.

It's early days.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})