Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

how is it arrogant FFS, I understand you might be ****ed off about todays game but I do not sign the players and have no influence over the club, O'Hara was cheap - a loan signing at the start of the season - whats your point ?

Ohara was the only 1 that held you together, a very useful player and should not have been allowed to play.Anyway the scoreline did not reflect the true balance of the game.You had a couple of really good finishes and had we had composure like that the result hsoulkd have been much different.

I take your point Nick but O'Hara was playing and was signed legally according the rules laid down by the prem, rightly or wrongly thats the way it has panned out. I fail to see how I am arrogant because of that fact. Most of you on here I can have a good yarn and chat with without insult or dig but I draw the line at some point

A good game today, I only hope we get to see more of them soon, youre right in that the difference was a keeper in worldy form and premiership finishing against you not taking your chances. None of you should be dis-heartened it was a spirited performance.

I think Merov you may have suffered there because we have heard too many times from the likes of Storrie about how he told the court to do this and made the taxman do that, he also instructs the league on occasions - it's become a habit down that way to claim you are in control when the facts suggest otherwise - no big deal.

Anyway, can I sell you some Citroen wheel trims? Low mileage, couple of hoof prints - or should that be yoof prints?

I've had MUCH worse days at football, result on paper looks far worse than it was, maybe it was tougher on those who watched on tv and didn't get to outsing the few -

off to Wembley, summer round the corner, life is still good.

I take your point Nick but O'Hara was playing and was signed legally according the rules laid down by the prem, rightly or wrongly thats the way it has panned out. I fail to see how I am arrogant because of that fact. Most of you on here I can have a good yarn and chat with without insult or dig but I draw the line at some point

A good game today, I only hope we get to see more of them soon, youre right in that the difference was a keeper in worldy form and premiership finishing against you not taking your chances. None of you should be dis-heartened it was a spirited performance.

I dont think you are arrogant. I have maintained that you should stay up. First half -70minutes I had a different opinion as there was little fight and heart, except from Ohara.

The rapid counter attack did for us, but i doubt you will get much opportunity for that in the PL unless teams are going for it.I dont see you opening many teams up.

In time we will see if Ohara should have been able to sign. In that I mean due to trading illegally.

You are one of 2 fans who have shown up on here during the toughest days, and so good luck to you, and any decent fans who support your club.

I hope you dont stay up and get true penalties, but this result may ignite your season and knowing the jammy luck over the last few years you will probably get saved and stay up. that will p### me off.

Not that I'm bitter or anything, but three of their scorers should never have been permitted to sign for them. O'Hara & Owusu-Owasi or whatever his name is both signed after the PL relented feebly over the transfer embargo. Dindane's club, Lens have been royally shafted - ie not paid the fee contractually due but forced into letting the Sk*tes keep him because they can't afford his wages (not that they can either, but that doesn't seem to matter). So just a bit bitter in an otherwise not hurting-as-much-as-I-feared sort of way

For 70 mins it was even Stevens but the one thing the EPL has that L1 doesn't is pure pace and when the skate bas*ards broke at pace there was no way we could cope.

Still, at least they got to experience a real atmosphere.

agree....we should have scored at least 2 more...their pace at the end did it for them...

O'Hara was superb...way too good for them

Have to say after today's game I do not want them liquidated. Although we lost we won't get a special atmosphere like that again at St Mary's, we won't all watch the cup draw with so much enthusiasm and we won't ever get to celebrate like we did when Ricky scored.

So Skates, I wish you to limp along (actually flounder is better and more apt) so I can take my young son to days like this again sometime soon.

I think the best summary I can give is that they were being laughed at in the first half by the 95 or so other footie fans in the pub for their woeful passing into touch, being 3rd into 50:50 balls and generally looking like they were the L1 team.

Sure they finally beat us and in the books and the media we took a whacking, but we watched it on TV and still loved it.

We've shown the rest of the PL teams at the the bottom how to play against them. Play with our tempo and commitment and with PL quality players then the 5-0 at the Mancs could be their best result in the rest of the season.

If only ONE of our players in that first half had given "wnder boy" James anything other than a tippy tappy attempt at goal they could have been swamped.

So it wasn't to be, their pace and speed at the end told. But

For 70 minutes they were reduced to HOOFBALL.

That will be my memory, and Hoofball won't save them no matter WHO comes in with money now

Have to say after today's game I do not want them liquidated. Although we lost we won't get a special atmosphere like that again at St Mary's, we won't all watch the cup draw with so much enthusiasm and we won't ever get to celebrate like we did when Ricky scored.

So Skates, I wish you to limp along (actually flounder is better and more apt) so I can take my young son to days like this again sometime soon.

Gary O'Reilly summarising - they are really Floundering... followed by a chortle

We couldn't afford to beat Portsmouth.

But in a couple of weeks I think we'll find that they actually couldn't afford to beat us.

Unlike you I think I've changed my position. I really didn't want Portsmouth to go under. But right now I can't reconcile the pride I felt in our team with the frustration I felt at the skill and pace they were able to assemble without the means to pay for it.

I can't imagine the fuss that would be being made by other Prem teams if they had, or were able to go on a winning run. It simply isn't just.

It would be great to play them again some day but right now I'm not phased about their future.

Edited by saintbletch
careless error

We couldn't afford to beat Portsmouth.

But in a couple of weeks I think we'll find that they actually couldn't afford to be us.

Unlike you I think I've changed my position. I really didn't want Portsmouth to go under. But right now I can't reconcile the pride I felt in our team with the frustration I felt at the skill and pace they were able to assemble without the means to pay for it.

I can't imagine the fuss that would be being made by other Prem teams if they had, or were able to go on a winning run. It simply isn't just.

It would be great to play them again some day but right now I'm not phased about their future.

Good post.

Saintbletch, I don't think our views are that far apart.

The reality of today was that they beat us with a Goalkeeper whose weekly salary was more than our teams combined, a sub who they shouldn't have been allowed to sign and a acomplished Prem midfielder on loan.

I satisfy myself with the fact that we will spend money, but not at all costs like they have. Football will eat itself, we will be in a stronger position as a result.

My gut feel is that a team's long term success is broadly proportionate to it's attendances. This allows for short term blips but longer term the commercials kick in.

They may have one today, but they are the equivalent living on their credit cards - at some time you have to pay at a massive cost.

I to was frustrated, they have cheated to assemble the team they have. But if they go into admin they will likely be in the Champ next season with a further points deduction and a squad akin to that which Portaloo had to deal with.

Still no response to my question, which I felt was important:

If Pompey produce a feeble statement of affairs by the dealine of next Weds but AFTER that, they are taken over by some tycoon, will the judge still wind them up based on the SOA?

My understanding is that they have to do two things. Be able to demonstrate that they can pay all the outstanding debts by next Wednesday. They also have to demonstrate that they HAVE BEEN TRADING AS A GOING CONCERN as they Judge has already indicated they are insolvent by the report produced by Dulieu's Accontancy firm.

Therefore, if they were to receive finance thereafter it should, in theory, be end of story. However, IMO the Judge should have issued the winding up order last week

If Pompey produce a feeble statement of affairs by the dealine of next Weds but AFTER that, they are taken over by some tycoon, will the judge still wind them up based on the SOA?

Common sense should tell you that if PFC find someone daft enough to make a significant investment in them and pay off their due debts then the judge is not going the wind up a (now solvent) company regardless . The possibility of criminal proceedings against the previous board(s) is an entirely different question however .

Your quetion is a pertinent one but I suspect the reason why no-one has responded to it is no-one on this forum really knows the answer.

Court procedure is highly technical and unless one of us who reads and posts on here is a Judge or Court Official we are left with mere educated supposition; often highly educated supposition but still supposition nonetheless.

Being neither a Judge nor a Court Offical my thoughts on your point aren't worth very much but FWIW I shall inflict them upon you (plural) anyway ... if the Statement of Affairs shows PFC have been trading whilst insolvent (as HMRC claimed in the Court on Wednesday) then I doubt if the Courts will wait until 1 March to make a decision.

I believe this because of the problems that might be caused if they delay. Other businesses might suffer as a result of PFC's continued actions and if the Courts are aware of insolvency at PFC it would be odd if they allowed PFC to carry on.

Corp said to check the sunday mirror today but all they have is this:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/West-Ham-trio-David-Sullivan-David-Gold-and-Karren-Brady-behind-plan-to-help-rescue-Portsmouth-article322551.html

West Ham were behind the plan to advance Portsmouth parachute money to ensure they survived until the and of this season.

Premier League chief *Richard Scudamore was a guest of the club when they played Birmingham at Upton Park last Wednesday night.

And David Sullivan, David Gold and Karren Brady *suggested the rival 19 clubs should bail out *Pompey out by advancing them money due this summer.

It was even suggested that the other clubs could loan Pompey £500,000 each to prevent the HMRC from winding them up.

Scudamore dismissed the plan and was horrified when the plan was leaked to the media and given credibility the *following day.

The League were then forced to issue a statement that said: “The Premier League has very specific rules regarding what happens if a club suffers an insolvency event. We will not act *outside these rules or in a way that would undermine the *competition’s integrity.”

Storrie added: “We have two serious bidders for the club, but are also looking at other financial solutions.”

If that's good news for Corp hate to see what his bad news for pompey looks like!

--

Maybe he meant this one: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/brian-reade/Brian-Reade-column-Why-Portsmouth-Liverpool-and-Manchester-United-fans-must-take-a-stand-to-save-their-clubs-and-Kevin-Phillips-has-more-chance-of-going-to-the-World-Cup-than-Michael-Owen-article321633.html

Or this one: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/steve-stammers/Portsmouth-s-latest-woes-are-a-real-sob-Storrie-Steve-Stammers-column-article309687.html

Edited by pedg

not at all - he even asked to come back after we had to let him go back to spurs. Has the good of the club at heart it seems

I can understand him wanting to play, especially as Spurs will still be paying his wages, but I don't understand why Tosik, for example, buys himself out of his Werder Bremen contract to sign for you. That's got to be the worst advice from an agent in the history of football.

I can understand him wanting to play, especially as Spurs will still be paying his wages, but I don't understand why Tosik, for example, buys himself out of his Werder Bremen contract to sign for you. That's got to be the worst advice from an agent in the history of football.

Questions need to be asked about this - a club cannot buy any players but sign free transfers and all of a sudden, thats at least two players (Tosic & Rocha) who have bought themselves out of contracts. Maybe a coincidence.

On another matter, just listening to the breakfast show on Talksport, they have just mentioned that Vantis are also in financial trouble and a couple of their directors have also been looked at for cheating the public revenue. Seems they might be the ideal insolvency practitioners to be looking at Portsmouth.

Questions need to be asked about this - a club cannot buy any players but sign free transfers and all of a sudden, thats at least two players (Tosic & Rocha) who have bought themselves out of contracts. Maybe a coincidence.

On another matter, just listening to the breakfast show on Talksport, they have just mentioned that Vantis are also in financial trouble and a couple of their directors have also been looked at for cheating the public revenue. Seems they might be the ideal insolvency practitioners to be looking at Portsmouth.

O GOD I hope they don't get out of this!!!!

As funny as it has been I just want this whole thing sorted, with the right decisions made (they are obvious arnt they) come on HMRC

O GOD I hope they don't get out of this!!!!

As funny as it has been I just want this whole thing sorted, with the right decisions made (they are obvious arnt they) come on HMRC

After getting the issue to Court it is no longer in the hands of HMRC (unfortunately) as the Court will make the decision.

Remember that, over many years, the law has been perceived to be an ass!

have you actually got a source for the fact they bought themselves out of their contracts ? Or was it that they were released and paid up by their previous club because it makes a difference as I understand it

I told you lot Corp would be right again regarding the good news in todays Mirror.

How he gets it right all of the time is beyond me.

Oh, thank God you are okay.

I heard about the violent riots at the game yesterday and was worried that you were caught up in them. But I guess you were probably at home in bed when it all kicked off.

have you actually got a source for the fact they bought themselves out of their contracts ? Or was it that they were released and paid up by their previous club because it makes a difference as I understand it

No source, thats why I said the question needs to be asked. How many times does a player buy himself out of a contract? It just doesn't happen that often. I am speculating but all I'm asking for is for someone (i.e. FA/PL) to check that no money has changed hands.

Your quetion is a pertinent one but I suspect the reason why no-one has responded to it is no-one on this forum really knows the answer.

Court procedure is highly technical and unless one of us who reads and posts on here is a Judge or Court Official we are left with mere educated supposition; often highly educated supposition but still supposition nonetheless.

Being neither a Judge nor a Court Offical my thoughts on your point aren't worth very much but FWIW I shall inflict them upon you (plural) anyway ... if the Statement of Affairs shows PFC have been trading whilst insolvent (as HMRC claimed in the Court on Wednesday) then I doubt if the Courts will wait until 1 March to make a decision.

I believe this because of the problems that might be caused if they delay. Other businesses might suffer as a result of PFC's continued actions and if the Courts are aware of insolvency at PFC it would be odd if they allowed PFC to carry on.

Again for what it's worth, having followed the situation and being the principle of a business for the past 20 years working through such minefields, that is also my interpretation.

If PFC have been trading insolvently (illegally) then they will be pulled once the HMRC have had time to review the Vantis report which is submitted on Wednesday.

No source, thats why I said the question needs to be asked. How many times does a player buy himself out of a contract? It just doesn't happen that often. I am speculating but all I'm asking for is for someone (i.e. FA/PL) to check that no money has changed hands.

I think you will find both clubs allowed them to go quite legally.

Agree with that.

Doesn't stop the rules being slightly stretched though. An out of contract player is allowed a signing on fee. That could cover the loss of wages by agreeing an early termination of contract.

And that would be consistent with Loan fees being paid.

But of course if PCFC is currently operating in breach of British Corporate Law, then another kettle of fish is opened

Has Avram Grant been hanging around with Storrie too long?

One minute he's the shy retiring coach, next minute he's giving it large on the pitch like he's just won the title.

Nice to see him embracing the media spotlight, though the old prossie-brotherer seemed less keen when he was shuffling around Horton Heath with his c*ck hanging out.

I hope Fahim's £60/70M has cleared in the bank - it needs to be in there within the next 48hours to make the report, can't be a problem to a man of his wealth.

I guess we'll be living in the shadows for another generation.

NOT!

Yesterday was their day, but the future is so very red and white.

Confirmation of what we already know (?)

Taken from Fratton Faithful

"Here is the take on what has happened off the pitch.

Gaydamak sold to Al Fahim....who as we know didnt produce,he said he would take out sacha £30 odd million owed too.

When it became apparant SAF was potless,Gaydamak regained control through Ali Al Faraj who actually was just a front man for Arcady Gaydamak.

Gaydamak senior then proceeds to asset strip the club through Jacob and Azougy while laying out minimum to keep the club going,Storrie has by all accounts bitten of more than he can chew trying to do things a little less crudely than Gaydamaks liquidators....hence the rucking with Jacob.

Chaineri was conned....plain and simple and is fuming with Gaydamak snr and wants out,Jacob and Azougy are out the door as Chaineri takes his charges on loans and control of the club.

He is relying on Storrie for assistance.

Gaydamak snr relinquished control the minute the window shut and defaulted on everything.

Gaydamak snr is on the run in Russia as he is wanted in Israel and France.

The Gaydamaks are now looking for a token payment on the £30 odd million outstanding as they have stripped the club bare.

HMRC are conducting a criminal enquiry into the running of PFC

That is from a very good source and as much as it may not be perfect I believe it."

Not sure a return by Al Fahim would be well received by the Jurassic Park faithful few ? !!!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Agree with that.

Doesn't stop the rules being slightly stretched though. An out of contract player is allowed a signing on fee. That could cover the loss of wages by agreeing an early termination of contract.

And that would be consistent with Loan fees being paid.

But of course if PCFC is currently operating in breach of British Corporate Law, then another kettle of fish is opened

That would be the kettle of fish which, once opened, appears to have been a can of worms all along.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=monte-carlo-or-bust%26method=full%26objectid=22041665%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

"Portsmouth are in talks with a mystery Monte Carlo-based fan in a desperate bid to stave off liquidation"

See that article goes on again about them being worried about the effect on the table should pompey be wound up but at the end of the day you get a table comparing teams that have competed legally and that could be considered as more accurate than one that includes a team that has both been competing illegally and had special treatment to allow them to finish.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=monte-carlo-or-bust%26method=full%26objectid=22041665%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

"Portsmouth are in talks with a mystery Monte Carlo-based fan in a desperate bid to stave off liquidation"

Well, the People's a part of the Mirror group, so maybe this is the mighty news dear old Corpy was hinting at earlier on. Sounds very impressive, I must say. :smt046

You may well be right, but given the way PFC deal with 'legalities', I think the quesstion should be asked.

You have the right to sign free transfers because the PL gave you back that right - but do you believe its morally right to increase your wage bill given your record of being able to pay your current debts? I know where I sit on that issue, unfortunately the PL failed to grow some (as some would put it on here) when they needed to. I also believe that the PL have an awful lot to answer for in how they have let PFC (and potentially other PL clubs) continue to trade without restrictions coming in. If you have any doubts, look at the differences between how the FL and the PL have dealt with similar situations - Us and West Ham (parent co in admin) and also how clubs in financial problems get dealt with in the FL - Bournemouth & Luton would be prime examples.

See that article goes on again about them being worried about the effect on the table should pompey be wound up but at the end of the day you get a table comparing teams that have competed legally and that could be considered as more accurate than one that includes a team that has both been competing illegally and had special treatment to allow them to finish.

Fairly good article for the people. Don’t think anyone here has considered future ticket sales for their away games and refunding season ticket holders before. Maybe the PL can use the skates parachute money to compensate those clubs.

Big LOL at thinking Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou is going to go anywhere near farton. Is this the person you have been hinting at for the last few days Merovingian?

:lol:

Think you will find Stelios is having his own money/cash flow problems and not in a position to throw 50/70 million away.....even 30 mil in an act of charity would require a couple of years of thought on his part to see how the state of the world and airline finances evolves....

More chance of Al Fayed dropping Harrods and Fulham...giving it all to Pompey..

Lawrence of Arabia is on his way by the Ist of April....

Again for what it's worth, having followed the situation and being the principle of a business for the past 20 years working through such minefields, that is also my interpretation.

If PFC have been trading insolvently (illegally) then they will be pulled once the HMRC have had time to review the Vantis report which is submitted on Wednesday.

Do you honestly believe that the report will be produced on Wednesday? I appreciate that it is in the best interests of Vantis to produce the document. Indeed, their professional reputation may well depend on it! However I do feel that there may well be a problem with Pompey's printer or that the file was found to have a virus in it, if it was sent at all.

Or am I getting way too cynical about things of a Skate nature?

Now here's an interesting discussion point just raised on Talksport...

If Pompey went into liquidation then one of the biggest winners would be Liverpool having lost to them this season. This could possibly cost Manchester City a champions league place at the end of the season. Would it be beyond the realms of possibility that Man City's owner (to whom £11.5m is lose change down the back of only one sofa) would help Pompey out - and doing so help his side get to the Champions League? My problem with this is that the PL should be doing everything in its powers to stop that kind of activity (to me its the same as match fixing) but would they in reality to keep their brand image going?

Edited by Gorgiesaint
possibilities not certainties

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})