Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

BBC now reporting that HMRC are happy too

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8562107.stm

"The scheduled High Court hearing is still expected to go ahead on Monday.

But it is understood that HMRC will inform the judge they are dropping their challenge to the appointment of administrator Andrew Andronikou."

I wonder if HMRC have anything else up their sleeve for Monday ..............

But it is understood that HMRC will inform the judge they are dropping their challenge to the appointment of administrator Andrew Andronikou."

Quite,

the statement of affairs could be providing HMRC with quite a lot of ammunition . . . .

No that will be the end of their involvement. All they can do now is sit and wait for the creditors meeting.

If any decision is made to liquidate the club because of a lack of buyer for the Football Club and continuing shortfall of revenue it will be the Administrators decision. He has all the power now that HMRC are not challenging his appointment further.

Quite,

the statement of affairs could be providing HMRC with quite a lot of ammunition . . . .

The SoA is superceeded by the Administration. If there are any criminal discrepancies that is for the Administrator to report to the correct authorities ie the police fraud unit

Lol.

Unfortunately at this moment in time my prediction is coming to pass

No it isn't.

They are going to get relegated.

They will probably have a points deduction next season.

This all tends to a two division relegation.

I fail to see how that is "getting away with it", and that's without any detailed analysis of the financial state of whatever exists the other side of administration.

No it isn't.

I fail to see how that is "getting away with it", and that's without any detailed analysis of the financial state of whatever exists the other side of administration.

Exactly

I'm still laughing at nickh saying that Pompey could still stay up with a 9 point deduction :lol:

Can you recall their position when they did their escape before. They were doomed until they got the lift of beating us...oh

Burnley Hull and Wolves are woeful. Wolves have to go to Fratton, Hull also. The others have a much harder run in. We have fans on here who think that we can make the play offs and we are 15 points behind!

I will agree that it is doubtful but look back 50 pages on here and see the posts how Pompey would be dead by now, or toast.

No it isn't.

There is a difference of getting relegated and playing in the BSL that has been very much been predicted on here.

Getting relegated 1 division, stil to fight another day is to my mind 'them getting away with it'

They are still going to wembley with a team that they rightly should not be able to field, they still may win that and get to the final. At the same time stopping fans from other clubs who are playing by the rules having their day out. So I believe they are getting away with it big time.

Can you recall their position when they did their escape before. They were doomed until they got the lift of beating us...oh

Burnley Hull and Wolves are woeful. Wolves have to go to Fratton, Hull also. The others have a much harder run in. We have fans on here who think that we can make the play offs and we are 15 points behind!

I will agree that it is doubtful but look back 50 pages on here and see the posts how Pompey would be dead by now, or toast.

They are what, 5 points behind Wolves and Burnley? I think they are playing each other at the wkend? That means, unless there's a draw, they will be 8 behind one of them. So that's 17 points to make up. I think they've managed 19 so far this season?

Yes, Hull, Burnley and Wolves are not very good. Neither are Pompey. They were outfought and played by us for 75 minutes. They were outplayed and outfought by Coventry in the previous round.

They are not going to go on a run where they win 5, 6, 7, etc in a row. They are rubbish.

nickh is clueless
from you that is a compliment. I

wouldnt want to be in your world, i read your stuff after games where everything is downbeat and your constant sniping at the club.I notice you will be going to Wembley though Lol

They are what, 5 points behind Wolves and Burnley? I think they are playing each other at the wkend? That means, unless there's a draw, they will be 8 behind one of them. So that's 17 points to make up. I think they've managed 19 so far this season?

Yes, Hull, Burnley and Wolves are not very good. Neither are Pompey. They were outfought and played by us for 75 minutes. They were outplayed and outfought by Coventry in the previous round.

They are not going to go on a run where they win 5, 6, 7, etc in a row. They are rubbish.

Not to be pedantic they beat Sunderland as well.

I hope you are correct, I will be happy to come on here and apologise that I was wrong if they do get thrown out of the league or really do face justice.

There is a difference of getting relegated and playing in the BSL that has been very much been predicted on here.

Getting relegated 1 division, stil to fight another day is to my mind 'them getting away with it'

They are still going to wembley with a team that they rightly should not be able to field, they still may win that and get to the final. At the same time stopping fans from other clubs who are playing by the rules having their day out. So I believe they are getting away with it big time.

Well, the FA have let numerous teams play in the FA Cup whilst insolvent before. I don't think they should, but they do. So Crystal Palace also "got away with it" this season.

They are going to suffer all the usual things that an insolvent club suffers. If there is no buyer they will eventually be wound up. If there is a buyer they will not be, and they shouldn't be. Same as us.

If there has been any wrong-doing that extends beyond football matters then that's a matter for the relevant authorites to investigate.

I think after many years of slumming it in the second division that after a brief spell in the top flight, being sent back down one or two divisions with your tail between your leg and a bleak future ahead is about as bad as it could get.

If they get promoted from the CCC next year, or anytime soon, then I might start agreeing with you. But they won't.

Not to be pedantic they beat Sunderland as well.

I hope you are correct, I will be happy to come on here and apologise that I was wrong if they do get thrown out of the league or really do face justice.

Why do you want them treated differently to every other club? Why's that justice?

I was at the game on Tuesday and let me tell you that they have no chance whatsoever of staying up. They were woeful. Harry Reekie's report on the BBC website flattered the skates massively - brum could easily have been 4 or 5 up.

Edited by Chez

Exactly, and anyone who watched the cup match against Brum will also have seen that they were awful.

B'ham let them off the hook with some slack final balls and the inexplicable decision not to go for the jugular sooner (that and some appaling linesmanship).

I expect they will finish in the bottom 3 even without the inevitable points deduction.

Exactly, and anyone who watched the cup match against Brum will also have seen that they were awful.

B'ham let them off the hook with some slack final balls and the inexplicable decision not to go for the jugular sooner (that and some appaling linesmanship).

I expect they will finish in the bottom 3 even without the inevitable points deduction.

you forgot to add - and not playing Chucho.

The only players they have are O'Hara and Piquionne. The rest are worth bobbins.

you forgot to add - and not playing Chucho.

The only players they have are O'Hara and Piquionne. The rest are worth bobbins.

Aye, that's what I meant. Leaving poeple like Fahey on to do nothing in midfield when they had Benitez and Phillips on t'bench.

Nick, I can understand your concern. It would be nice to see them get their medicine in one big dose, but I think the medicine will have to be taken over a number of seasons unless they find their fairy godmother.

As a business what have they got to offer? As a first team, again, what have they got to offer when they cannot afford the current wage bill and there are many coming to the end of their contracts so new cheaper players have to be found?

The only thing that concerns me, is the unsecured debt is so large (i.e. if Gaydamak is an unsecured creditor) then HMRC will not have enough percentage to vote it down alone.

Also remember there are a few bookmakers who have already paid out on the Skates relegation, they don't normally do that unless there is good reason.

Edited by Doctoroncall
I'm sh*t at spelling

Nick,

They have to play Liverpool & Spurs away with Chelsea and Aston Villa at home. Unlikely they will get any points from the. That leaves 6. Let's say they win them all 18points, less 9 penalty puts them on 28 points at end of the season.

At present Hull, Burnley and Wolves have 24, West Ham 27 and Wigan 28. It is a certainty they will be going down. Even the bookies have stopped bets and are paying out already.

Nick,

They have to play Liverpool & Spurs away with Chelsea and Aston Villa at home. Unlikely they will get any points from the. That leaves 6. Let's say they win them all 18points, less 9 penalty puts them on 28 points at end of the season.

At present Hull, Burnley and Wolves have 24, West Ham 27 and Wigan 28. It is a certainty they will be going down. Even the bookies have stopped bets and are paying out already.

Sounds much better.

I think they were very lucky against us and had we scored first htey would have folded.

Perhaps after watch them escape so many times it has made me less sure.

I still resent their cup win, as they were patently fielding a tream they couldnt afford.

Nick, I can understand your concern. It would be nice to see them get their medicine in one big dose, but I think the medicine will have to be taken over a number of seasons unless they find their fairy godmother.

As a business what have they got to offer? As a first team, again, what have they got to offer when they cannot afford the current wage bill and there are many coming to the end of their contracts so new cheaper players have to be found?

The only thing that concerns me, is the unsecured debt is so large (i.e. if Gaydamak is an unsecured creditor) then HMRC will not have enough percentage to vote it down alone.

Also remember there are a few bookmakers who have already paid out on the Skates relegation, they don't normally do that unless there is good reason.

I thought the administrator had confirmed the Russian gunrunner as a secured creditor?

Do the BBC predictor thingy, I did it with pompey winning every single game (including beating Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Villa and Everton) and they still were relegated when given the -9. That's without putting in any major shocks like Wigan beating Liverpool.

To stay up they will need to play as well as Man U or Chelsea AND have results go in their favour.

I too resent the cheating element but I'm looking forward to watching Bale crossing and Crouchie nodding past a flapping James.

In that single moment the door will slam shut on their season, the silence will only be broken by the sound of chains and padlocks locking them out of the Premier League for a generation.

One minute Grant will be dreaming of a cup final reunion with Chelsea, the next he will be staring down the barrel of a long and dark reality.

He might even need to relax by splashing out on a used model down at Horton Heath - but that's only if he needs a secondhand car.

One minute Grant will be dreaming of a cup final reunion with Chelsea, the next he will be staring down the barrel of a long and dark reality.

He might even need to relax by splashing out on a used model down at Horton Heath - but that's only if he needs a secondhand car.

:D I saw what you did there.

I thought the administrator had confirmed the Russian gunrunner as a secured creditor?

I've seen both hence the uncertainty. It would be great if he is a secured creditor as that would guarantee the CVA not being approved and a 15+ point penalty unless the fairy godmother pays off all the debts.

breaking news on the bbc ticker that hmrc have made their own announcemnt, not disputing the validity of the adminsitration

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

A spokesman for HMRC said in a statement: "Despite HMRC continuing to have a number of remaining questions and concerns around the relationships of various parties, and a lack of detail of financial affairs, HMRC has now advised the administrators that we will no longer challenge the validity of the administrator's appointment.

"This comes in light of the additional material now provided following the judge's directions of March 2, 2010.

"HMRC would expect that now that the issue of validity is no longer in question, the administrator will be able to make early and real progress with the administration in order to get the best and most equitable return for all creditors."

Sources have told Sky Sports News' chief news reporter Bryan Swanson that HMRC are "still not happy" but they "do not see any benefit in continuing an expensive, long-running, legal protest against the club".

Both sides are still expected to return to the High Court next week as a formality, and any decision is ultimately made by Mr Justice Norris, but this deal should remove any doubt that Portsmouth will be wound up this season.

Edited by Saint Keith

Fear not.....they still have to sell the assetless club for £30m.....plenty of takes I'm sure....

If they can't sell it, they liquidate the club. I reckon it depends on whose got what secured against future income (i.e. tv money).

Edited by Chin Strain

Agreed and even though it is Pompey which makes it even more galling any team who have conducted their affairs in such a disgraceful way and for so long deserve no less than total oblivion. Really find it hard to accept the HMRC decision, having worked for the Revenue I have seen far less serious cases end up with a company/individual being made bankrupt. Cost never entered the equation, for all those made redundant they are likely to find to make things worse that £1000's in NIC they have paid is not on their accounts so that will add further to their vows in terms of the always painful experience of trying to claim benefits. Really appalling, it's hard to see any justice in this at all.

So the rule is that you can get away with not paying taxes if HMRC consider the legal case to chase you down to be expensive and long-running.

Nice precedent!

Yes, as I stated above I find this quite unacceptable, something doesn't ring true to me.

"HMRC would expect that now that the issue of validity is no longer in question, the administrator will be able to make early and real progress with the administration in order to get the best and most equitable return for all creditors."

Will at the end of the season do Mr HMRC ? !!!!!

breaking news on the bbc ticker that hmrc have made their own announcemnt, not disputing the validity of the adminsitration

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

A spokesman for HMRC said in a statement: "Despite HMRC continuing to have a number of remaining questions and concerns around the relationships of various parties, and a lack of detail of financial affairs, HMRC has now advised the administrators that we will no longer challenge the validity of the administrator's appointment.

"This comes in light of the additional material now provided following the judge's directions of March 2, 2010.

Sources have told Sky Sports News' chief news reporter Bryan Swanson that HMRC are "still not happy" but they "do not see any benefit in continuing an expensive, long-running, legal protest against the club".

Both sides are still expected to return to the High Court next week as a formality, and any decision is ultimately made by Mr Justice Norris, but this deal should remove any doubt that Portsmouth will be wound up this season.

So where does that leave Southend and Cardiff, who are nowhere near in the mess the Skates are in, not even in relative terms?

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})