Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

all they are getting is a reprieve, they will get there comeuppance in time, be it this month, next year when they make their first cva payment, it could be at the end of the cva when Chinny turns off the life support machine, it could be the taxman finally catches them, it could be when the Governments of Lithuania and Latvia sieze them...

Its even spread as far as Israel now (Gruffulos link), with confirmation that they cannot pay the playing staff without laundered funds to support them:

http://www.thejc.com/sport/sport-news/59888/ben-haim-quit-pompey

and Voldermort reckons he can find a buyer, no need for Kieth Harris or AA:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/great-matches/appy_we_can_play_our_part_in_finding_new_buyers_1_3317216

‘I would imagine someone coming in would see the club as an investment.

‘But to make the club an investment, you have to look at the infrastructure as being at the top of the list.

‘If we can find the right people to take over, I’m sure all of the things we talked about on day one can get back on track very quickly.

‘There’s a lot of work that has to be done with the administrators going in and doing what they have to do.

PMSL

The high earners are digging there heels in too, with £20k PW Lawerence staking his claim to his gold plated contract:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7362139/

I would much rather stay

calm down Mash potato, they wont just get away with it!

As somebody pointed out on the previous page, 14 years ago they were in the exact same position - and their recent criminal behaviour will guarantee they will be stuck as they are for another 14 at least = a shambolic, derelict, morally and financially bankrupt small time shower of a football club

I genuinely believe Moneyfields is their best option now

2812336476_62de561391.jpg

Any news from the Football League?

Voldemort.jpg

All I want to to see/hear is 1 pompey fan talking a moral stance here - acknowledging that what they did was WRONG, no worming their way out of it by suggesting Chelski do the same (they dont, its underwritten by the Ruski), or that we spent money we did not have when last in the CCC (that 7mil we did actually have so no borrowing, but myself and many others were very vocal in our concern that this should have ben kept for a rainy day at the time...)... yes simple admit that whilst as fans it was beyond their direct control, teh actions of the club in securring cup wins etc was morally classified as cheating and to so some decency in admiting that as a result their success is forever tarnished... they would then get my utmoost RESPECT and SYMPATHY as true fans of their club.

The problem with the above is that you want us to admit that winning the cup was 'cheating' because it will make you feel better, and that it will somehow expunge the whole nightmare for you.

The reality is that we were trading solvently with Gaydamaks backing up until the crash of October 2008. We won the cup in May, five months earlier. WE-WERE-NOT-CHEATING.

Nothing any of you can say alters that fact, and the fact that our name will be for ever more on there as winners in 2008.

GET USED TO IT.

Cue yet more immature 'Thick skate' abuse.....

The problem with the above is that you want us to admit that winning the cup was 'cheating' because it will make you feel better, and that it will somehow expunge the whole nightmare for you.

The reality is that we were trading solvently with Gaydamaks backing up until the crash of October 2008. We won the cup in May, five months earlier. WE-WERE-NOT-CHEATING.

Nothing any of you can say alters that fact, and the fact that our name will be for ever more on there as winners in 2008.

GET USED TO IT.

if it smells like **** and looks like ****....

If anyone listened to Radio Solent this evening they would have heard a portsmouth spokesman from one group or another saying that they were a good club to buy due to being the last great club in Britain to be fully developed.

So whoever did come in could build it up in many ways.......................................hmm as Rallyboy has pointed out above way go to all the trouble of developing the club when there are others already out there with infrastructure etc in place?! Madness.

Not madness at all. What you all conveniently choose to forget is the history that goes with the club. Four major honours, the last only three years ago, a passionate fanbase and bags of potential if anyone's brave enough to tackle the ground and the debt issues.

Not an easy business to sell and turn around I grant you, but the clubs history will help....

GET USED TO IT.

??? If you were trading solvently then why did you crash? Why didn't you pay HMRC anything?

GET USED TO IT.

Yes, let's cut the immaturity and stick to posting errant nonsense in capitals to try to make our utterly ignorant points.

Cheats.

Thickos.

Fantasists.

Laughing stocks.

That's you, that is.

Not madness at all. What you all conveniently choose to forget is the history that goes with the club. Four major honours, the last only three years ago, a passionate fanbase and bags of potential if anyone's brave enough to tackle the ground and the debt issues.

Not an easy business to sell and turn around I grant you, but the clubs history will help....

I think you are grasping at straws at bit there..

There are bigger and better clubs for sale out there that do not have anywhere near the baggage you are currently carrying - Everton, Forest to name but two..

Your biggest current mill-stone ( amongst the many round your neck) is that your former owner is being charged with financial crime and foreign governements are looking at the cash trail with a view to re-couping as much of it as they can. It pains me to say this but I have a feeling they will find some at your door.. That is not a USP to impress potential buyers I'm afraid.

GET USED TO IT.

Is this a tacit admission that you were trading insolvently from October 2008 onwards then? While it's true that Pompey's name is highly unlikely to be removed from the 2008 FA Cup, there remains that fact that your Cup-winning captain never received the bonuses due to him following that great victory - surely a solvent concern, who'd won the trophy fair and square, would have been easily able to afford it?

And how come Pompey had so much outstanding debt with HMRC, come to that? An honestly-run, solvent business would never have let that happen.

I think not easy is an understatement. It was interesting in the points listed from the meeting with the club that they were very cagey about being at all specific about how long the money they have will last. Chances of it lasting long enough for a sensible bidder, even if you find one immediately, to do due diligence is small I suspect. I have this vision of pompey being at the centre of a game of dodgy character pass the parcel and the number of layers of paper is running low.

HISTORY?

Really, is that your ONLY selling point?

Let's not worry about the £17m owed to Chinny.

The £10.8m owed to a man who may well end up in prison.

The £17m for CVA payments.

The falling down 'arena'.

The lack of a youth set up.

No training ground to call your own.

Don't worry about any of that, we have a history to consider here! Not sure sitting in a carpet less, heating less shell of an office thinking about winning a trophy 50 years ago is going to persuade someone to part with circa £50m just to buy a club that will need another £100m worth of investment to become a club again!

And what of this 'passionate' fan base you keep harping on about? Have you any hard and fast facts to back up this claim, or is it another comment on the lines of those stating that building a new stadium would gaurantee 30 thousand turning up every week?

Didn't the old car park in town also have a 'history', but they still knocked it down ;)

You could handle it from Forest or Leeds given their history, but even then you'd have to say they're living in the past. With Pompey they're living in a mental institute.

SFC only major trophy: F.A. Cup 1976

Forest's last major trophy: League Cup 1990

Dirty Leeds last major trophy: First Division champions 1991-92

Pompey's last major trophy: F.A. Cup 2008

Who's living in the past?

What you conveniently choose to overlook is that the history is all that you've got. Other than that, all you have is shed-loads of debt, a recent history of dodgy owners, pending court cases, and a club that would cost a very large fortune to buy and turn around. I don't see anyone rushing to try to buy Preston or Huddersfield, either of which clubs has more major honours and less debt that Pompey. Your only chance is a massively rich Pompey fanatic - are there any out there?

I'd accept that Pompey's support was passionate and even downright impressive about 25-30 years ago. I remember when they were relegated to the old Fourth Division (the first former League champions to go that low - another unenviable first for you there); the levels of support they got both home and away were astonishingly good back then, given the circumstances. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the whole "fantastic fans who turn up through thick and thin" schtick dates back to that time - let's face it, it's scarcely the case now, is it?

Personally I an quite glad we appear to have a future, how about you?

Mate, who do you think you are? Pompey aren't Liverpool you know. As far as 'history' goes you've had a League Championship 70 years ago, and a CCC in 2003 (we don't count the FA Cup as you won that dishonestly.....yes, you cheated....when do you think the tax bill was last paid?). In between you've spent 90% of your time slumming it in the lowest 2 divisions. Your crowds are sh it, yet you claim to be 'the best fans' because you all cheered Henry as you were getting spanked at home.

How the feck does that give you the right to claim that you're a great club with bags of history? FFS, you lot really do believe your own press, don't you.

I think a potential owner would be better off buying Preston.....now they really do have a history.

It takes two to tango as they say and I assume in the past Ben Haim has not moved due to not wanting to take a cut in wages rather than pompeys unwillingness to sell. What makes it different this time?

No. read it again- 'In the summer, Ben Haim compromised on his £38,000-a-week wages, which were negotiated while Portsmouth were in the Premier League'.

An FA Cup win in 2008 is hardly going to impress a potential buyer when you have so many imponderables surrounding you and a chronic lack of infrastruture in your club.

If I were a serious buyer looking for a club to invest in ( and the current financial state of the world means there are very few credible ones around), I would look no further than Everton. Great history, great fan-base, excellent coaching staff, a conveyor belt of talent and for sale at a decent price with a managable debt with no dodgy former owners to consider..

Do you agree?

No. read it again- 'In the summer, Ben Haim compromised on his £38,000-a-week wages, which were negotiated while Portsmouth were in the Premier League'.

I also read the bits that implied that it was reduced down from a total ridiculous level for the championship to just a ridiculous level. If it's not still high why did they stop paying him for a while?

Woolworths had history. Pompey are screwed.

You forgot this............

A cash injection, that accompanied the arrival of John Deacon as chairman in 1972, failed to improve Portsmouth's league position. With Deacon unable to continue bankrolling the club on the same scale, Portsmouth were relegated to the Third Division in 1976.

In November 1976, the club found itself needing to raise £25,000 to pay off debts and so avoid bankruptcy. With players having to be sold to ease the club's financial situation, and no money available for replacements, Portsmouth were forced to rely on an untried manager, Ian St John and inexperienced young players. Consequently, they were relegated to the Fourth Division in 1978.

and this............

Portsmouth's centenary season, 1998–99, saw a serious financial crisis hit the club, and in December 1998 Portsmouth went into financial administration.

and this............

24 February 2010, "Balram Chainrai, the owner of Portsmouth Football Club, has today served notice that the club will go into administration unless new owners can be found by Friday."

How proud you must be of your 'history'

??? If you were trading solvently then why did you crash? Why didn't you pay HMRC anything?

Because Standard bank of South Africa called in a loan that Gaydamak couldn't repay, mainly due to the crash severely reducing his income from commission on stock market trades....

a passionate fanbase

You are averaging 12,181 in 2011/12.

1k to 2k of which for most games is away fans. So this "passionate fanbase" you speak of is only around 10,000 Pompey fans.

How many do you think you would average in League One if you were relegated? Saints had 21k on average in the 3rd tier of English football. Pompey in the Championship have 10k home fans, so in League One it will be far less.

It seems you have been taken in by the media myth that Pompey have "passionate fans".

Edited by Matthew Le God

What you conveniently choose to overlook is that the history is all that you've got. Other than that, all you have is shed-loads of debt, a recent history of dodgy owners, pending court cases, and a club that would cost a very large fortune to buy and turn around. I don't see anyone rushing to try to buy Preston or Huddersfield, either of which clubs has more major honours and less debt that Pompey. Your only chance is a massively rich Pompey fanatic - are there any out there?

I'd accept that Pompey's support was passionate and even downright impressive about 25-30 years ago. I remember when they were relegated to the old Fourth Division (the first former League champions to go that low - another unenviable first for you there); the levels of support they got both home and away were astonishingly good back then, given the circumstances. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the whole "fantastic fans who turn up through thick and thin" schtick dates back to that time - let's face it, it's scarcely the case now, is it?

I actually agree with almost all of that. I think it's correct to state that history is pretty much all we've got. Whether that's going to be enough, I don't know, but it helps.

The support question is like most clubs cyclic- when we hit the depths of div 4 circa 77-78 things almost couldn't have been worse. When Frank Burrows came in and finally started to turn things around the crowds came back in big numbers- way, way bigger than anyone else Div 4 was getting.

Admittedly, now the crowds are on the way down. Some won't come back until we're back in the PL. Others want a new stadium or toilets that are cleaned once a season, whether they need it or not :?

"Your only chance is a massively rich Pompey fanatic - are there any out there?"

Dunno. Hope so.....

An FA Cup win in 2008 is hardly going to impress a potential buyer when you have so many imponderables surrounding you and a chronic lack of infrastruture in your club.

If I were a serious buyer looking for a club to invest in ( and the current financial state of the world means there are very few credible ones around), I would look no further than Everton. Great history, great fan-base, excellent coaching staff, a conveyor belt of talent and for sale at a decent price with a managable debt with no dodgy former owners to consider..

Do you agree?

Yes, I do. We're not an Everton although there are some similarities in that they're probably the last club in the PL with a worn out ground that needs renewing, hence the difficulty in selling the business I believe.

Ours is a harder sell as we're out of the PL. It won't be easy, I admit that.....

I actually agree with almost all of that. I think it's correct to state that history is pretty much all we've got. Whether that's going to be enough, I don't know, but it helps.

The support question is like most clubs cyclic- when we hit the depths of div 4 circa 77-78 things almost couldn't have been worse. When Frank Burrows came in and finally started to turn things around the crowds came back in big numbers- way, way bigger than anyone else Div 4 was getting.

Admittedly, now the crowds are on the way down. Some won't come back until we're back in the PL. Others want a new stadium or toilets that are cleaned once a season, whether they need it or not :?

"Your only chance is a massively rich Pompey fanatic - are there any out there?"

Dunno. Hope so.....

Ooh, Ooh, I know the answer to that question!!!!.............

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think it's correct to state that history is pretty much all we've got. Whether that's going to be enough, I don't know, but it helps.

But does it? You have a long history as a football club but you also have a more recent history of being the object model in how things can go badly wrong for a football club. You are, like the news of the world, a tainted brand. When or if someone takes over there will be incredible speculation about why they did it given your current problems and your recent history of owners.

No decision this meeting apparently

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/great-matches/no_points_loss_verdict_for_pompey_1_3321819

A Football League spokesman said: ‘At its meeting today the board of the Football League discussed the current situation at Portsmouth Football Club.

‘The league will now continue discussions with the club regarding the administration of its parent company and update the Board at its next meeting.’

No surprise there then.

No decision on points deduction, so their [repaired] clock ticks on a while longer..

Pompey are still waiting to hear their fate over a points deduction.

No decisions were made regarding the Blues’ plight at today’s Football League meeting in London.

Chief executive David Lampitt was present at the scheduled meeting, with talks over the way forward on the agenda after Convers Sports Initiatives went into administration.

No conclusions were reached, however, with more discussions now planned at the next league meeting.

A Football League spokesman said: ‘At its meeting today the board of the Football League discussed the current situation at Portsmouth Football Club.

‘The league will now continue discussions with the club regarding the administration of its parent company and update the Board at its next meeting.’

http://tinyurl.com/cxzzd3g

That cash never came through to the club, they loaded it onto the entity they sold on when they did a runner. The money therefore never existed to pay for your cup win and never came close to the club.

You bloody cheated.

We know it, Coventry fans know it, Derby fans know it, every club in the country now understands what a disgusting charade it was with one exception, the one who's fans benefited from the most disgusting act of fraud ever seen in english football, The Skates like you who live in denial because that cup win is now ALL YOU HAVE.

I hope it keeps you warm on a cold november night at Edgeley Park you vermin.

Edited by Colinjb

Because Standard bank of South Africa called in a loan that Gaydamak couldn't repay, mainly due to the crash severely reducing his income from commission on stock market trades....

But that money was only borrowed in early 2008, the credit crunch and crash bit in Sept/Oct 2008. So, if Gayboy junior really had the money, why did he not put it in himself? Answer was he never had any money but his dad did. Gayboy senior of course couldn't own a football club because he couldn't pass an FPPT due to his outstanding European Arrest Warrant. When senior couldn't help, Gayboy junior, the magnificent Peter Storrie, and Bagpuss, hocked the whole future of the club to a foreign bank. They could of course have let players go, reduced expenditure in other ways, but then they wouldn't have won the cup.

Therefore the cup win was based on an unfair financial advantage, and is therefore always going to be classed as being won by cheating.

Dunno. Hope so.....

The first year Pompey played in Div 4 ie 1978/9 their average crowd was 10,123 which was less than Barnsley at 11,048

To be fair this avearge had increased to 15,850 which was similar to Sheffield utd when they were promoted from Div 4 two years later

History is certainly something to be proud of just as the likes of Huddersfield, Blackburn,Preston, Derby and Preston (in the League) and Wanderers and Old Etonians (in the FA Cup) can celebrate their comparatively higher achievements than Pompey

However I have yet to find a reason why Pompey's highest average gates never got beyond 37,000 in their title winning seasons in a stadium with a capacity of over 50,000 and, at a time when football crowds were at record levels following WW2 and there were thousands of servicemen in Pompey at the time to swell the population

Interestingly altho Pompey have won more silverware, Saints actually have the better overall league record since both clubs entered the League in the early 20's and, of course, Saints have played far more times in Europe and produced many more 'home grown' players

Crucial phrase the League's spokesman uses there is 'parent company'. Looks like we're not going to be hit by them for CSI's administration which at least buys time...

That cash never came through to the club, they loaded it onto the entity they sold on when they did a runner. The money therefore never existed to pay for your cup win and never came close to the club.

You bloody cheated.

We know it, Coventry fans know it, Derby fans know it, every club in the country now understands what a disgusting charade it was with one exception, the one who's fans benefited from the most disgusting act of fraud ever seen in english football, The Skates like you who live in denial because that cup win is now ALL YOU HAVE.

I hope it keeps you warm on a cold november night at Edgeley Park you vermin.

Wow, nice guy!

Crucial phrase the League's spokesman uses there is 'parent company'. Looks like we're not going to be hit by them for CSI's administration which at least buys time...

Legally Southampton FC didn't go into administration at any point. Mark Fry wasn't the administrator for the club.

Andrew Andronikou and David Lampitt seem unaware that Southampton Leisure Holdings had non football related companies (like CSI does), that didn't matter to the Football League though. Pompey have had £10.8m put in (possibly stolen from Lithunain/Latvian bank customers) to keep them going and improve their squad, when that runs out they have admitted they can't fund themselves. Insolvent? I think so...

Edited by Matthew Le God

That FA Cup win. Not long after your 'Cup Winning Manager' and former owner had allegedly (pending court case remember - which will be the beginning of the end for you lot in my opinion) been involved in tax evasion?

Yeah I'm sure an investor (who probably won't want to put in more than 10% of their personal wealth) will fall over themselves...

There's a song by a famous old Pompey singer.... 'Dreamer....nothing but a dreamer'

Dunno. Hope so.....

I really don't see how your history alone is going to make any difference whatsoever to be honest. Yeah we can sit and argue about trophies and honours that each of our clubs have won, but at the end of the day neither of us is Manchester United or Liverpool. We have both had the odd occassion when we have been successful here and there (yeah - your history will tell you that you are much more successful than us - but relatively - whoopeebloodydoo).

Last week was history, as was yesterday, as was the past hour. My point being that what sticks in the mind most - is recent history, and even with your Cup successes in there - your off field problems are also very prominent. When you look at the amount of money that is required to really just get you stable (what circa 50 million) - how many buyers are going to splash that cash based on current history?

I don't really know that much about football - but how your couldn't see that your last set of owners had 'issues' was quite amazing. I mean how many club owners use facebook as their main interaction with the fans, how many clubs announce trivia such as new loos, running water and a new clock as though it were a major issue, how many links to 'dodgy deals' thrown up by a quick google did you want to or choose to ignore?

I'm not actually in the 'Pompey to die' camp - I want 6 points and I'll be happy, but I do fear that you wont find what your looking for very easily. I honestly think that you are damaged goods, and trying to attract a decent buyer could well be very difficult now - and if 'your history' is your ace in the hole then I don't think you have a cat in hells chance.

Interestingly altho Pompey have won more silverware, Saints actually have the better overall league record since both clubs entered the League in the early 20's

Ok, I'll bite- how is your league record better than having won the top flight twice, the second flight once and the third flight three times?

Or are you talking about the 'making up the numbers' school of honours?

GET USED TO IT.

No insults from me... but you are wrong in your assumption. I have FRIENDS who are pompey fans, I dont even feel that bothered about rivalries in football as it my team I want to do well - call me old fashioned, but the pre war days of locals fans going to see both clubs is how it should be.... so your cup win as a genuine cup win would not stick in my throat, envious of the success yes, cursing our luck that we drew a full strength gunners in tehf inal and you drew a relative minnow sure... but thats the cup. NOw I dispise what Chelsea have done and Man City are doing now, I even dont have too much time for the disproprionate way in which Man U were able to grow so much bigger than the rest supported by armchair fans and teh lions share of sky revenue... BUT in all cases they have not defaulted on the monies' lost' through squad investment and wages so they just stay on the cusp of what I consider the ethical divide, just as tehy have undoubtedly got a competitive advantage by having losses guarranteed by owners.

Leeds were the first to break their bank and thus in effect cheat - because if exposure to liabilities is such that as simple thing as failing to finish in a CL place can tip you over the edge, then that irresponsibilty is cheating in my book. With pompey it was even more extreme, because whatever you like to think you are a relatively small club, that had squad not even affordable by a club with a 50k gate, if left to their own devices and owners who have repeatedly lost teh plot with respect to financial control - you undoubtedly took a path that gave you a competitive advantage on the WAY to winning the cup. Had you had an onwer who underworte that debt in full, fair enough it would not ahve been ideal, but it would not have been cheating. BUt you had owners and directors who did not have a clue where the money was comming from or even give a **** about where it was coming from... when 30 mil in debt in that cup season at christmas - you kept spending and not paying the tax max - THAT IS WHAT DETEST, not the cup win... and the fact that only a smalll handfull of your fans have enough ethical and moral fibre (and indeed intelligence) to see it and get angry about it. FFS, if you were protesting against your owners, getting angry and showing shame in what your club had done, I would feckin applaud you, respect you and support whatever battloes you still needed to face... but the best you can do is blame the FL for its FAPPT - which EVERYONE knows is flawed.

As fans of football surely you can see that the way your club has behaved is a disgrace - its the way the vast majority of fans seem to view this that is your shame, not how teh club behaved which I acknowledge is difficult to do a huge amount about, but the way in which you have reacted and deny your club did anything wrong which is so shameful.

Ok, I'll bite- how is your league record better than having won the top flight twice, the second flight once and the third flight three times?

I'm guessing average league position. Still I'd rather have titles and a lower average, so yep Pompey have one over on us on that score. However, history doesn't count for much. There can't be many Pompey fans who can remember those title winning days. What matters is the present and the future - ours looks promising......

Interesting how Pompey fans never mentioned the number of time both clubs won the Southern League before they were allowed into the Football League in the 1920's.

Pompey 2 times

Saints 7 times

Both teams were competing against each other for that title as were unable to move into the Football League.

In any case if you think a businessman will be swayed to buy Pompey because of a pre war FA Cup win, two league wins 60 years ago and an FA Cup win against a Championship side funded by money they couldn't afford you are deluded.

Legitimate businessman will decide whether or not to buy a football club on things like...

- cost (Pompey have huge debts and legacy issues)

- fanbase size (currently Pompey averaging 10k home fans)

- infrastructure (Fratton Park is small and out of date, the club has no training ground of its own, a poor academy setup)

There are plenty of clubs that have more potential than Pompey that could be brought and improved for far less than it would cost to turn Pompey around. Even Bradford in League Two offer more than Pompey do to an investor and despite being two league lower and near the relegation zone they are getting similar number of home fans each game. Why buy Pompey when you could buy Bradford for less and they have a lot more to offer?

You have to question the motives of any "businessman" that turns the chance to buy one of those club and buy Pompey instead. Hence why Pompey have had an endless string of crooks running the club since 1999. They are caught it a loop that is very difficult to get out of.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})