Our Position Or Pompey's?

Daren W

I was just wondering to myself...As you do.....Where is that fake sheik Mazzer Mahmood...under cover guy etc......Could he be playing games with Pompey or the PL

To be honest Mazer...News Of The World... always looked the real deal .:smt033.Not sure about these two news sheiks on the block.:rolleyes:

Edited by ottery st mary

looks like the Fratton circus clowns may be packing up but it has been hilarious while it has lasted, and Al Fahim will always have a special place in our hearts, especially if he has sent them towards a 15pts deficit by January.

But I think they will be okay now - Wolves, Hull and Burnley or Birmingham could be poorer in the long term.

And as for the Blue few who deserted this board when things got tough, we must remind them of that when they reappear, which they no doubt will should things improve.

The silence of the fish and the empty blue seats has been as funny as the results, long may all three continue.

the whole bizznezz is hugely dodgy if you ask me. My true comments could not be posted on this forum without having enough evidence to avoid any form of libel... but the whole thing smells..

I agree.

The nationals are starting to suspect something fishy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/portsmouth/article6863771.ece

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/on-the-trail-of-portsmouths-elusive-saviour-1798219.html

the whole bizznezz is hugely dodgy if you ask me. My true comments could not be posted on this forum without having enough evidence to avoid any form of libel... but the whole thing smells..

Do you think they are going to discover that he lives with his mum? It does all sound very familiar.

Excellent reading there! Let's hope the Fialka comparisons prove correct. :)

I agree.

The nationals are starting to suspect something fishy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/portsmouth/article6863771.ece

All I can tell you is what I know about the guy,” Storrie said. “They were the people I was talking to before [when he tried to secure a deal for al-Faraj to buy the club in August, only for Gaydamak to sell to al-Fahim]. They appear to have considerable assets and they’re immediately putting finance into the club.

“From everything I know about the guy, he seems very fit and proper"

Hmmm...I wonder why Storrie doesn't use definitive wording....?

Has anyone tried translating his name to find out what it means??!!! I've just done so and I couldn't believe wat it came up with...

...now before I get charged with libel let me point out wht I did and assert that this is not what I am calling him - it is just what is coming up in a translation engine! I simply translated his name as written in English script back into Arabic. I then translated the Arabic text into English..

The result?....

(I couldn't believe this when it came out!!!...)

n. pussy, vulva, relief

If you don't believe me try it for yourself. Go to this website to do it: http://translation.babylon.com/Arabic

:D

Has anyone tried translating his name to find out what it means??!!! I've just done so and I couldn't believe wat it came up with...

...now before I get charged with libel let me point out wht I did and assert that this is not what I am calling him - it is just what is coming up in a translation engine! I simply translated his name as written in English script back into Arabic. I then translated the Arabic text into English..

The result?....

(I couldn't believe this when it came out!!!...)

n. pussy, vulva, relief

If you don't believe me try it for yourself. Go to this website to do it: http://translation.babylon.com/Arabic

:D

Brilliant :D

so clown number one handed over 90% of the club for nothing, which if you divide by nine and multiply by ten means the club is currently valued at...er, nothing.

The danger of just allowing people to take control over the debt is that it attracts fantasists who see an easy profit if they can scrape together loans, which as fantasists they can't.

I think it unlikely that they have stumbled across a second lunatic but if I were down the road I would like some detail of the new owner rather than this 'mysterious billionaire' excuse, so secretive that no one knows where his money is coming from.

Once again, cash talks, if he puts it on the table then they are home and dry, until then, it's just spin.

And paying the wage bill doesn't count, while hopefully Fahim's overpriced loan is already a done deal and that will come in to the equation as well.

So there may still be some laughs left in this sorry old tale.

It is strange how even the Journos can't even find out anything about this guy.

Maybe it's just a cultural thing, I get the impression, in Saudi, billionaires don't like to nosh themselves off in public like they do in the West but usually if you are mega rich there is only so low-profile you can be. Money tends to leave a trail.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if this turns out to be some chancer!

It is strange how even the Journos can't even find out anything about this guy.

Maybe it's just a cultural thing, I get the impression, in Saudi, billionaires don't like to nosh themselves off in public like they do in the West but usually if you are mega rich there is only so low-profile you can be. Money tends to leave a trail.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if this turns out to be some chancer!

So isn't it strange then, how he has passed a 'fit and proper' persons check by the PL!!!!!!:confused:

press have the hump coz they cannot dredge up any dirt

we will soon see if he is a chancer, apparently the inland revenue have to be paid quite a sum immediately to stop a winding up order, along with Chelski, Spurs, other creditors, banks and agents. If we don't it is still very likely that it will be admin for us very shortly.

Todays article on the Beeb is pretty interesting - kinda explains what's going on in clear terms. Also features this very intriguing observation:

...you could argue it was Redknapp's policy of signing players of such quality as Crouch, Defoe, Krancjar and co - plus Gaydamak and Storrie's willingness to pay them top-whack wages - that got Portsmouth into this mess...

full article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2009/10/a_decade_or_so_ago.html

Todays article on the Beeb is pretty interesting - kinda explains what's going on in clear terms. Also features this very intriguing observation:

...you could argue it was Redknapp's policy of signing players of such quality as Crouch, Defoe, Krancjar and co - plus Gaydamak and Storrie's willingness to pay them top-whack wages - that got Portsmouth into this mess...

full article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2009/10/a_decade_or_so_ago.html

Doesn't explain anything really.........just asks the questions, that are being asked on here...........IMO.

press have the hump coz they cannot dredge up any dirt

we will soon see if he is a chancer, apparently the inland revenue have to be paid quite a sum immediately to stop a winding up order, along with Chelski, Spurs, other creditors, banks and agents. If we don't it is still very likely that it will be admin for us very shortly.

Merovingian you have good sources at FP with your connection to POL(some quite dry and amusing posters i must admit)

Are you comfortable or like myself wnder a little why there is nothing about this man?

Storrie has unearthed a gem that Everton WHU Newcastle and others have not, even though his name cropped up a few weeks ago and their agents must have tried to derail your investment.Or has he just found another DR. It is quite a mystery.

To me as an outsider i dant see why people are so keen to buy into PFC when there arte other more straigthtforward purchases. I keep hearing about the development potential of the surrounding area but I doubt it can be worth 100's of millions profit.

If they are banking on getting a free stadium on the back of a WC then they may be disappointed i suggest.

So isn't it strange then, how he has passed a 'fit and proper' persons check by the PL!!!!!!:confused:

"Even the Premier League have yet to meet the man who has already passed their fit and proper persons test.

All Al Faraj needed to demonstrate to be welcomed into English football was that he is allowed to own a company, has no history of insolvency, has not been convicted for theft or fraud and is not involved with another football club."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1218613/Pompey-saved-But-does-know-Ali-Abdullah-Al-Faraj-actually-is.html#ixzz0TFl8eCS3

Not really.

If you don't show up as a director of an insolvent company when the relevant records are searched, you have no prior involvement in football and no known criminal convictions of a certain type you will be "fit and proper".

Don't write too much into the secretive thing.

That is the NORM down here. It has only been the clown's antics that have made people question Al Faraj. And as I kept repeating, he was not a representative sample of this part of the world.

there ARE some "minor" celeb type people down here, and certainly some of the sons of the wealthy business families have a strong global play-boy image. Supermodels dropping in for birthday parties and the like, but in general, this is actually how I would have expected a real businessman to act.

I am digging via my sources but trust me, this time I've learnt my lesson, unlike Sultan Bin Trump tales, if I get decent info, I ain't posting it on here, I'm flogging it to NoTW et al first :-)!

lol....

no, that really really REALLY cannot be the man....

The head of a telephone banking department within a DEVELOPMENT Bank. No, simply not possible.

Unless he was acting for a friend who was acting for a friend who was acting for his cousin who was acting for his friend who was fronting up our old friend Thaksin or similar again.

No that simply cannot be true. Has to be the Wrong Trousers. The PL would never get over it

Do they offer Sharia Compliant Finance solutions for the purchase of Photo Copiers?

no, please no

New owner Ali Al Faraj has spoken for the first time since taking over Pompey and outlined that stability is the key for the Premier League club.

He said: "Our aim is to put a stable foundation in place in all aspects of the business, beginning with the financial restructuring of the club.

"Once this is in place we can assess our approach to building a much-needed new training ground and redeveloping Fratton Park.

"In order to do this we need the full co-operation and understanding of various parties while we come to terms with the ongoing issues of the club's business and financial commitments.

"We are appointing a professional team to review all aspects of the club, working alongside chief executive officer Peter Storrie. There will also be a restructuring of the board.

"It is well-documented that we initially wanted to take over the running of the club two months ago. This would have enabled us to capitalise on the summer transfer window and help provide finance to strengthen the squad. Unfortunately we were unable to do so and that was a wasted opportunity.

"However, the players brought in at the eleventh hour, along with those already at the club, have been tremendous and shown a great spirit and unity. And that is great credit to them and Paul Hart and his coaching team.

"We have a very loyal fan base who have shown remarkable support. It is important for us to work with them and keep them aware of our plans.

"Both the community and council have a major role to play in the future of the club and we look forward to discussions with them on a number of issues to enhance Portsmouth Football Club."

Merovingian you have good sources at FP with your connection to POL(some quite dry and amusing posters i must admit)

Are you comfortable or like myself wnder a little why there is nothing about this man?

Storrie has unearthed a gem that Everton WHU Newcastle and others have not, even though his name cropped up a few weeks ago and their agents must have tried to derail your investment.Or has he just found another DR. It is quite a mystery.

To me as an outsider i dant see why people are so keen to buy into PFC when there arte other more straigthtforward purchases. I keep hearing about the development potential of the surrounding area but I doubt it can be worth 100's of millions profit.

If they are banking on getting a free stadium on the back of a WC then they may be disappointed i suggest.

I am happy I know nothing - it is custom in Saudi not to go blagging about how much dosh you have as I understand it. Going back to when Gaydamak took over no one had really heard of him, his father maybe but nothing much about Sasha at all.

I think there are people out there that want to own a football club, not necessarily for profit but for enjoyment. We are told Ali Al Faraj loves the premiership and watches it alot. From my own point of view - why would I buy Newcastle, Everton etc with all the infrastructure etc already there when I can take Portsmouth from the basics and build it up exactly how I want it from training ground to stadium and leave a lasting legacy? Why does everything have to be about money ? Surely Liebherr must realise he is not going to make much out of your lot even if you reach the prem again?

with regards to the stadium, there is money to be made around fratton and I believe should we get permission to build at horsea a substantial grant will be available and further money to be made out of development.

I believe from the indications received and fromgoing back to 6 weeks ago when they should have been allowed to take over that we have in fact found someone who will finally take the club forward on and off the field. We understand it is also not just him involved and there is other investment backing him up.

Something is not "right" with all this. SAF sold his shares for £0 after having them for 40 days. People don't become rich in business doing things like that. Also no matter how much money the new owner puts into the club he will never make it back let alone a profit. Man City and Chelsea can support high crowds and already have large stadia. Pompey have huge debts, a poor stadium and poor attendances 3k below a 20k capacity and a team requiring massive investment just to get 17th.

How this will ever turn into a return on investment I don't know. It will take £50 million just to get them safe from administration problems and debt clearance, add to that the cost of a new stadium upwards of £50m, £9m for training complex and we haven't even started on the team yet. Upwards of £110 million before any players have been signed and potentially CHampionship football next year. Is it worth it for the money 17,000 fans will bring?

Something is not "right" with all this. SAF sold his shares for £0 after having them for 40 days. People don't become rich in business doing things like that. Also no matter how much money the new owner puts into the club he will never make it back let alone a profit. Man City and Chelsea can support high crowds and already have large stadia. Pompey have huge debts, a poor stadium and poor attendances 3k below a 20k capacity and a team requiring massive investment just to get 17th.

How this will ever turn into a return on investment I don't know. It will take £50 million just to get them safe from administration problems and debt clearance, add to that the cost of a new stadium upwards of £50m, £9m for training complex and we haven't even started on the team yet. Is it worth it for the money 17,000 fans will bring?

Is it worth it for the money 17,000 fans will bring?

Are they hoping that many more will go if ticket prices are at lot less in a bigger capacity stadium? That's the only thing I can think of, afterall, there are 8 million potential fans to tap into according to their chairman.

I am happy I know nothing - it is custom in Saudi not to go blagging about how much dosh you have as I understand it. Going back to when Gaydamak took over no one had really heard of him, his father maybe but nothing much about Sasha at all.

I think there are people out there that want to own a football club, not necessarily for profit but for enjoyment. We are told Ali Al Faraj loves the premiership and watches it alot. From my own point of view - why would I buy Newcastle, Everton etc with all the infrastructure etc already there when I can take Portsmouth from the basics and build it up exactly how I want it from training ground to stadium and leave a lasting legacy? Why does everything have to be about money ? Surely Liebherr must realise he is not going to make much out of your lot even if you reach the prem again?

with regards to the stadium, there is money to be made around fratton and I believe should we get permission to build at horsea a substantial grant will be available and further money to be made out of development.

I believe from the indications received and fromgoing back to 6 weeks ago when they should have been allowed to take over that we have in fact found someone who will finally take the club forward on and off the field. We understand it is also not just him involved and there is other investment backing him up.

i can see your point from a Pompey fans position,but to get the stadium and all you say online will take a few years.If i was as wealthy as he is alleged then I would want quick results.

The other thing that i find odd is that it now he appears to have backers!!! Why would a billionaire need backers?

You of course dont care but there is still something not right here,Avram grant an isreali giving advice to a Saudi.Im sure that is not new but i would have thought not so public.

It is a smokescreen i would have thought.

Perhaps the carrot of the WC and free money may have swung it but i dont want the WC in England we will be paying for the Olympics for a generation why the WC as well.i would feel the same if it was SMS by the way.

Ah, just found my favourite thread.

Obviously it has decided to take a breather for a while, all the stress of being at the top of the interest loop takes a toll after a while.

It's missed from the main forum, but somehow I really wouldn't be at all surprised if one day it decided to come out of it's semi retirement.

Anyway, first officially feedback from one of my experts on all things commercial in Saudi...

Who?

Not likely to get any updates for at least a week until the movers and shakers come across to Dubai for my Birthday Party oops sorry for The 3rd Largest IT Trade show in the world - Gitex.

So

Rest well dear thread, you may need to get your strength up

Ah, just found my favourite thread.

Obviously it has decided to take a breather for a while, all the stress of being at the top of the interest loop takes a toll after a while.

It's missed from the main forum, but somehow I really wouldn't be at all surprised if one day it decided to come out of it's semi retirement.

Anyway, first officially feedback from one of my experts on all things commercial in Saudi...

Who?

Not likely to get any updates for at least a week until the movers and shakers come across to Dubai for my Birthday Party oops sorry for The 3rd Largest IT Trade show in the world - Gitex.

So

Rest well dear thread, you may need to get your strength up

Phil, at times like this it's so comforting to have you scouring your middle eastern domain to keep us, your saintly brethren, so well informed.

However, despite billionaire secrecy in Saudi, surely such a person must have some sort of traceable profile? Agreed his bank account details may remain private, but the existence of such a (presumably) high profile and wealthy businessman should be a matter of record even in that neck of the woods surely?

He was initially said to be a big wheel in Sabic then apparently not. Even his age has gone from 50 to 40 to 39. Reality is no one, not even the press, can prove he actually exists and indeed neither can you Phil, which is much more worrying (for the skates that is).

There is vague talk of a consortium, certainly from Storrie, but he doesn't admit to knowing much more about Al whatsisname than the rest of us, so the "consortium" remains an even bigger mystery.

Do we have a fake sheik mk2 here, an arabian Walter Mitty, or could this chap be a front man in a convoluted chain that ends with financial arrangements emanating from, for example, a foreign exile from another asian country?

In a way this whole business has frightening similarities to what we went through with Pinnacle and MJ, although I am not yet convinced the skates will land on their feet like we did!

Has anyone thought to give Tony Lynan a call to check if he is fronting the "consortium"?

Well you never know...

Are they hoping that many more will go if ticket prices are at lot less in a bigger capacity stadium? That's the only thing I can think of, afterall, there are 8 million potential fans to tap into according to their chairman.

Teams typically enjoy a 50% increase in gates in the first season they move to a new stadium (even if like us, and you, there wasn't always demand for extra seats). If the ticket price came to about average in the premier league (which means we'd need to cut our prices almost in half) and a decent family section was provided then there is no reason why we won't average 30k first year in the premier league.

Teams typically enjoy a 50% increase in gates in the first season they move to a new stadium (even if like us, and you, there wasn't always demand for extra seats). If the ticket price came to about average in the premier league (which means we'd need to cut our prices almost in half) and a decent family section was provided then there is no reason why we won't average 30k first year in the premier league.

Lots of ifs, buts and maybe's in there.

If you averaged 25k I'd be impressed as tickets won't be going south price wise if you are still in the EPL.

Edited by View From The Top

Lots of ifs, buts and maybe's in there.

Course there is, a relegation for example would mean we wouldn't even need a new stadium as 21,000 is sufficient.

Prices will come down I'm certain of it, the only place you can't get a cheaper adult season ticket in the league is Arsenal. It just wouldn't make sense if we had a big stadium, simple supply and demand logic.

I could see our ticket prices coming right down and in-line with the premiership average (about £400 adult ST). The main thing that will change is having a decent family section, Storrie wants us to have one of the biggest and cheapest family sections in the prem and as you know offers for kids are the way forward in football these days.

Phil, at times like this it's so comforting to have you scouring your middle eastern domain to keep us, your saintly brethren, so well informed.

However, despite billionaire secrecy in Saudi, surely such a person must have some sort of traceable profile? Agreed his bank account details may remain private, but the existence of such a (presumably) high profile and wealthy businessman should be a matter of record even in that neck of the woods surely?

He was initially said to be a big wheel in Sabic then apparently not. Even his age has gone from 50 to 40 to 39. Reality is no one, not even the press, can prove he actually exists and indeed neither can you Phil, which is much more worrying (for the skates that is).

There is vague talk of a consortium, certainly from Storrie, but he doesn't admit to knowing much more about Al whatsisname than the rest of us, so the "consortium" remains an even bigger mystery.

Do we have a fake sheik mk2 here, an arabian Walter Mitty, or could this chap be a front man in a convoluted chain that ends with financial arrangements emanating from, for example, a foreign exile from another asian country?

In a way this whole business has frightening similarities to what we went through with Pinnacle and MJ, although I am not yet convinced the skates will land on their feet like we did!

Has anyone thought to give Tony Lynan a call to check if he is fronting the "consortium"?

Well you never know...

You guys know me by now, always try and be analytical and never controversial. I have by chance from time to time stumbled on things that no fan should ever have heard or seen and even horrendously got dragged into the centre of the whole admin mess and far too many tales. But when I do pop up with information that has come from my knowledge or contacts I only like to make statements from facts.

There ain't no facts about Al Faraj. It is not uncommon, so I cannot comment. What I CAN tell you and have tried, is that there is interest in the Magic Kingdom in acquiring English Football Clubs. I know of at least 5 proposals that have gone that way not including Liverpool and no doubt so have others, so who knows who may pick up a business plan from what office.... ;)

But as I only comment on factual stuff, here's a great one

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=683841&sec=england&cc=4716

.......The head of the Saudi Arabia league, Dr Hafez Al Medlej, has said that he has never heard of Portsmouth's new owner, Ali Al Faraj, and claims that takeovers at Manchester City and Pompey could lead to middle-eastern investors targeting another ten English teams.........

It is an interesting article. Can I laugh yet? No.................

The first sentence is a possibility that I have mooted before. I did some research with my golf buddy and there is a magic word Beneficial Owner we all forget with the F&PP test. For example wouldn't go down well to find Munto Finance was owned by Abu Dhabi, and Al Faraj had a loan from Abu Dhabi... (or someone further east). (Oh and NO I do NOT think Abu Dhabi are doing that for a moment it's an example peeps!

The second sentence, the forum holds sacrosanct your opinion, but I did try and point out that the MJ part up until the row with Fry may have been more Scott Tracey than Walter Mitty....

But of course that expereince sure helped me spot Sultan Bin Trump very quickly:-)

Course there is, a relegation for example would mean we wouldn't even need a new stadium as 21,000 is sufficient.

Prices will come down I'm certain of it, the only place you can't get a cheaper adult season ticket in the league is Arsenal. It just wouldn't make sense if we had a big stadium, simple supply and demand logic.

I could see our ticket prices coming right down and in-line with the premiership average (about £400 adult ST). The main thing that will change is having a decent family section, Storrie wants us to have one of the biggest and cheapest family sections in the prem and as you know offers for kids are the way forward in football these days.

Mush, I'm all for cheaper tickets for families, regardless of clubs.

My 7yo is hooked and doesn't mind the 360 mile round trips for home games and badgers me to go to every away game as well and it's all because his season ticket was free!

I'd sooner watch L1/CCC footy with my nipper, paying a fair price, than being relegated to the sofa to watch Saints in the EPL due to the cost.

I've always refused to pay more than £30 for a domestic game (excluding cups) and I've no intention of changing.