Why do some of you bother?

MarkSFC

It absolutely amazes me how some people on this forum can be so negative about all things Saints so much of the time. For the only time in my short period of supporting Saints (35 years and counting) we actually have on the evidence so far at least, an owner who is very wealthy and wants to invest his own money - and not borrow - and a CEO who has a very robust, positive, forward thinking, and customer centric strategy. We also have a manager who is extremly driven, recognises the huge opportunity he has been given, is very open and honest, articulates his views very well and is finally, mainly because of the lack of preperation he had at the start of the season and because of the stupid transfer window, shaping his own team.

As well as this their is money being invested in the training facilities, and a clear message from Nicola Cortese that he wants us to be leaders.

And yet despite all these extremely positive actions which from what I can tell is not replicated any where else in football currently are there STILL people who moan? You are like the kid at Christmas who got the expensive toy they moaned about all year but then moaned that they wanted it a different colour. We are THE luckiest group of football fans in the world right now IMHO and rather than be decisive and negative with your comments why don't you CHANGE just like the club has and look forward positively and excitedly to each and every game over the next few years? This club has new people running it, new players and basing your expectations on previous incumbants is folly.

Ok, we may not make the play-offs this year but considering everything that happened in the summer and the lack of time AP and NC had, I think even of we finish within 10 points of 6th, getting to the final of the JPT (and hopefully thrashing Carlisle!), having a decent run in the cups and only losing to Premiership teams, can definitley be regarded as succesful.

Positivity breeds success and even when you need to look at what is not great, looking at it in a positive manner is what allows development and this is how successful people and teams make that happen. So, e.g. Questioning whether AP will be here is a negative question and one that if left to fester "could" create doubt in his ability which actually in the cold light of day is clearly very good. Sure, if we fail to achieve championship status by the end of next season then that's different, but I truly believe that we are at the start of what will turn out to be the the most successful and exciting period in our clubs history, so if YOU ARE MOANING and NEGATIVE NOW, WHAT IS THE POINT of supporting Saints?!!

I for one would say keep your opinions to yourself for now and sit back and enjoy the ride!!

I look forward to every single game with relish. Doesn't mean I will be spoon fed whatever the club gives me or accept everything no matter what.

If you don't want opinions, good or bad, I suggest you make the 103rd post your last on here.

I was reasonably optimistic till I went to Wycombe and saw one of those rubbish away performances people who went to Brentford and Exeter were on about. We were worse than away at Swindon, and that was the last match before the team started improving. However, bigger picture and all that...

I think there are levels of moaners :

There are perennial moaners, who'd find something wrong in a Saints Champions League win.

There are the kneejerk "too quick to criticise" mob who usually don't consider the bigger picture.

There are the balanced posters (everyone thinks they're one of these).

Then there are the optimists.

Then there are the rose-tinted happy clappers.

I'm sure everyone else will have fun deciding where certain posters fit, but I'm not sure they need to do it here...

I look forward to every single game with relish. Doesn't mean I will be spoon fed whatever the club gives me or accept everything no matter what.

If you don't want opinions, good or bad, I suggest you make the 103rd post your last on here.

Interesting comment, have I hit a nerve? At no point did I say "accept everything no matter what". This is not my view at all.

You have immediately vindicated my point by missing the point entirely. By mentioning my number of posts I can only assume that you think commenting loads and "loudest" is what counts. I wish you every success with that.

Interesting comment, have I hit a nerve? At no point did I say "accept everything no matter what". This is not my view at all.

You have immediately vindicated my point by missing the point entirely. By mentioning my number of posts I can only assume that you think commenting loads and "loudest" is what counts. I wish you every success with that.

Good post (again)

I was reasonably optimistic till I went to Wycombe and saw one of those rubbish away performances people who went to Brentford and Exeter were on about. We were worse than away at Swindon, and that was the last match before the team started improving. However, bigger picture and all that...

I think there are levels of moaners :

There are perennial moaners, who'd find something wrong in a Saints Champions League win.

There are the kneejerk "too quick to criticise" mob who usually don't consider the bigger picture.

There are the balanced posters (everyone thinks they're one of these).

Then there are the optimists.

Then there are the rose-tinted happy clappers.

I'm sure everyone else will have fun deciding where certain posters fit, but I'm not sure they need to do it here...

I was very dispondent til I went to Carrow Road... ;)

I don't think anyone who went to Wycombe would think it was a good game by any stretch, but let's not get carried away with it. Three days before we beat the league leaders. A week before that we outplayed a Premiership side. A month before that we turned a Championship side over...

Chelsea lost at Wigan, United lost at Burnley.

Sometimes footballers play poorly.

They are not machines, however much we like to believe they are.

Some bright spark told me we needed Antonio off and Wotton on and then all would be right with the game on Tuesday...

Shame I didn't bite his hand off for the bet he offered telling me how the game would improve...

Oh and I have no issue being an optimist - no one looks for someone with a flat battery for a jump start... ;)

I'd reply, but this thread has become too negative, or should I say dumb for me.

CHEZ is an extremley positive poster

Edited by John B

By the way this is a forum to discuss football matters not a Forum to slag off other posters

I'd reply, but this thread has become too negative, or should I say dumb for me.

For someone with over 4000 posts to their name, you'd guess they would have mastered the art of debate and discussion by now rather than trying to put others down with supposed insults and so called funny repostes. Why don't you say nothing until you have something positive, constructive, or worthwhile to say? You may enjoy it!

I for one would say keep your opinions to yourself for now and sit back and enjoy the ride!!

I agree with the general thrust of what you say and certainly as one who had prayed over a period of several years that the former charlatans who ran this club would one day be gone, I am ecstatic that we have all those plusses in place that you have listed.

But this is a forum and anybody is fully entitled to post their thoughts on any aspect of the club, as they see fit. Look at it this way; if it were not for the moaners, you would have had no reason to post this thread and invite the responses and debate that will ensue.

It absolutely amazes me how some people on this forum can be so negative about all things Saints so much of the time. For the only time in my short period of supporting Saints (35 years and counting) we actually have on the evidence so far at least, an owner who is very wealthy and wants to invest his own money - and not borrow - and a CEO who has a very robust, positive, forward thinking, and customer centric strategy. We also have a manager who is extremly driven, recognises the huge opportunity he has been given, is very open and honest, articulates his views very well and is finally, mainly because of the lack of preperation he had at the start of the season and because of the stupid transfer window, shaping his own team.

As well as this their is money being invested in the training facilities, and a clear message from Nicola Cortese that he wants us to be leaders.

And yet despite all these extremely positive actions which from what I can tell is not replicated any where else in football currently are there STILL people who moan? You are like the kid at Christmas who got the expensive toy they moaned about all year but then moaned that they wanted it a different colour. We are THE luckiest group of football fans in the world right now IMHO and rather than be decisive and negative with your comments why don't you CHANGE just like the club has and look forward positively and excitedly to each and every game over the next few years? This club has new people running it, new players and basing your expectations on previous incumbants is folly.

Ok, we may not make the play-offs this year but considering everything that happened in the summer and the lack of time AP and NC had, I think even of we finish within 10 points of 6th, getting to the final of the JPT (and hopefully thrashing Carlisle!), having a decent run in the cups and only losing to Premiership teams, can definitley be regarded as succesful.

Positivity breeds success and even when you need to look at what is not great, looking at it in a positive manner is what allows development and this is how successful people and teams make that happen. So, e.g. Questioning whether AP will be here is a negative question and one that if left to fester "could" create doubt in his ability which actually in the cold light of day is clearly very good. Sure, if we fail to achieve championship status by the end of next season then that's different, but I truly believe that we are at the start of what will turn out to be the the most successful and exciting period in our clubs history, so if YOU ARE MOANING and NEGATIVE NOW, WHAT IS THE POINT of supporting Saints?!!

A good post Mark.

No doubt you will receive some flack for being positive.

We haven't had much to be positive about for a long time, and I believe that many of us (myself included) have become 'conditioned' to a negative mindset.

Whether that manifests in 'negative' posts or cautious cynicism depends on the individual.

The reason for this is clear; years of mis-management. Hopefully that chapter has closed, and another has begun.

I agree with the general thrust of what you say and certainly as one who had prayed over a period of several years that the former charlatans who ran this club would one day be gone, I am ecstatic that we have all those plusses in place that you have listed.

But this is a forum and anybody is fully entitled to post their thoughts on any aspect of the club, as they see fit. Look at it this way; if it were not for the moaners, you would have had no reason to post this thread and invite the responses and debate that will ensue.

I couldn't agree more and this is really what prompted my OP. I read through this site virtually every day but almost every post seems to descend into personal agendas/negativity or just plain drivel!

Don't get me wrong there are some very well informed and articulate posters on here as well as some very good debators with some excellent and interesting views.

The trouble is, most of the time the people who shout loudest (so to speak) and have the most to say are usually the most negative, disruptive and insular people. It gets very boring scrolling through their posts.

Wouldn't it be great to read more good things, and have more thought provoking debates?! Bundles of humour would be better than the showers of despair!

For someone with over 4000 posts to their name, you'd guess they would have mastered the art of debate and discussion by now rather than trying to put others down with supposed insults and so called funny repostes. Why don't you say nothing until you have something positive, constructive, or worthwhile to say? You may enjoy it!

Take is easy sunshine and read my original post again, slowly. I was suggesting that you can be both happy about Saints life, but also still want to post negative things on a web forum - because not everything is perfect. I also tried to point out that this forum is a place for both positive and negative posts, so if you only want to read positive posts then it might be best if you stopped coming to the forum.

You then went off on one about number of posts and he who shouts loudest, which missed the point completely, because of this I felt there was no choice but to criticise the thread. HTH.

Edited by Chez

A good post Mark.

No doubt you will receive some flack for being positive.

We haven't had much to be positive about for a long time, and I believe that many of us (myself included) have become 'conditioned' to a negative mindset.

Whether that manifests in 'negative' posts or cautious cynicism depends on the individual.

The reason for this is clear; years of mis-management. Hopefully that chapter has closed, and another has begun.

Thanks Block5, "conditioning" is absolutely the challenge to overcome for most. Some however are happy in that state!

I wonder sometimes whether the perennial "negative/moaners" ever actually go to a game because surely even they can't deny the positivity in the stadium now and the unbelievable high you get when we score! Or do they sit there and critique the move preceding the goal?!

First full 90mins of the year and not season (me a season ticket holder).

I've been through a bad patch since November, had some very bad news, had to get my boss to make me redundant to become a carer blaah blaah blaah went to St Mary's on a Saturday thinking i'd be fine, then ended up leaving at half time (we won 3-0) because I wasn't great, then the match after that I lasted about 15mins ish before leaving. Then the worst thing to happen in anyones life happened last month (which was expected), due to this I didn't go to either Final leg matches or the derby match.

My head is still all over the place however I love my club and am going again this Saturday in the hope I last the full 90+stoppage time instead of leaving halfway through like a girl crying :D

Not being funny but it's getting pretty boring seeing all these threads about other posters on here.

If someone posts something not Saints related it gets moved to the lounge, the muppet show or general sports. Can we not have a separate 'room' for comments about or directed towards posters, as to me the link to saints seems pretty minimal.

I've been through a bad patch since November, had some very bad news, had to get my boss to make me redundant to become a carer blaah blaah blaah went to St Mary's on a Saturday thinking i'd be fine, then ended up leaving at half time (we won 3-0) because I wasn't great, then the match after that I lasted about 15mins ish before leaving. Then the worst thing to happen in anyones life happened last month (which was expected), due to this I didn't go to either Final leg matches or the derby match.

My head is still all over the place however I love my club and am going again this Saturday in the hope I last the full 90+stoppage time instead of leaving halfway through like a girl crying :D

Well, my best for a great game, sounds like you could do with it. Remember, it ain't real life. That's what I love about football, for 95 minutes you could be anyone/anywhere... ;)

really good start thread MarkSFC

I agree 100%. Everyone has a right to an opinion blah, blah, but why would any real fan want to come on week after week and slag down everyone. If our team were "perfect" we'd be above Norwich and Leeds already but at least we STILL have a club, an enthusiastic chairman and a billionaire owner. (Am I dreaming or ..) what club wouldn't want that.?

I feel sorry for people who have to come on and moan every time.

After 50 years as a fan.. I'm more philosphical and have seen the ups and downs, and we are on the up..even if it isn't at quite the pace some people want. I like the look of this season so far and next will be even better I'm sure ..no matter which league we are in.

Edited by david in sweden

Thanks Block5, "conditioning" is absolutely the challenge to overcome for most. Some however are happy in that state!

I wonder sometimes whether the perennial "negative/moaners" ever actually go to a game because surely even they can't deny the positivity in the stadium now and the unbelievable high you get when we score! Or do they sit there and critique the move preceding the goal?!

They seem to be the first ones on here whinging immediately after the final whistle or during the game so I would think that the majority of them don't go.

really good start thread MarkSFC

I agree 100%. Everyone has a right to an opinion blah, blah, but why would any real fan want to come on week after week and slag down everyone. If our team were "perfect" we'd be above Norwich and Leeds already but at least we STILL have a club, an enthusiastic chairman and a billionaire owner. (Am I dreaming or ..) what club wouldn't want that.?

I feel sorry for people who have to come on and moan every time.

After 50 years as a fan.. I'm more philosphical and have seen the ups and downs, and we are on the up..even if it isn't at quite the pace some people want. I like the look of this season so far and next will be even better I'm sure ..no matter which league we are in.

I dont see many people moaning about the football club but a lot of people moaning about posters who have a different point of view.

You would have thought SFC a team costing in excess of £5 million would be able to give a good account of themselves against teams like Exeter and Wycombe whose teams cost considerably less.

So it is not surprising that some posters would like to see the team perform better .

I dont see many people moaning about the football club but a lot of people moaning about posters who have a different point of view.

You would have thought SFC a team costing in excess of £5 million would be able to give a good account of themselves against teams like Exeter and Wycombe whose teams cost considerably less.

So it is not surprising that some posters would like to see the team perform better .

I don't think there's any posters who would not like to have seen a better performance on Tuesday. Feck me, I've never seen worse!!! ;)

The point, however, is that someone always has to be to blame.

It's a facet of modern society that I hate. Whenever anything bad happens or accidents or anything that does not fit this wonderful pattern of glorious permanent success, someone has to be to blame...

Life ain't like that.

I came away from Tuesday's game knowing it was awful. The only person to blame is me. I chose to go, I chose to support Saints. Me.

This kind of responsible accountability is, sadly, alien in our culture these days.

A very, very good post, MarkSFC, but what are we to do..? Shall we ask every poster to type out a rider to their message they post, admitting that overall they almost couldn't be happier..? I know it's annoying, but by and large, even the moaniest of the moanies is pretty happy with what has happened at SFC in the last 7 months. Only a gormless idiot wouldn't be, or a Pimply supporter. Everything is relative. We're all estatic about the overall picture, but some of the detail is a bit annoying. We're an impatient lot, and yes, one or two posters would have nothing to say if they hadn't anything to moan about. When they are not on the forum, you can bet all is well at St Marys.

Great post Mark-i'm very optamistic for the future-travel down from Barnet for games with my 15yr old and he wouldnt swap places with any of his school mates, who you can imagine, support the big bore four!

With our lovely neighbours in meltdown, i can see us hoovering up more neutrals-bring on the expansion of SMS

Life ain't like that.

I came away from Tuesday's game knowing it was awful. The only person to blame is me. I chose to go, I chose to support Saints. Me.

This kind of responsible accountability is, sadly, alien in our culture these days.

so no matter what happens to our club from this day on you are going to shrug your shoulders and say "I am to blame for choosing to support Saints"?

How do I save a post so I can retrieve it later?

I don't think there's any posters who would not like to have seen a better performance on Tuesday. Feck me, I've never seen worse!!! ;)

The point, however, is that someone always has to be to blame.

It's a facet of modern society that I hate. Whenever anything bad happens or accidents or anything that does not fit this wonderful pattern of glorious permanent success, someone has to be to blame...

Life ain't like that.

Yes very true I just think people have too high expectations.

I have enjoed this season as unlike you apart from some poor performances the team is placed where I was expecting it to be and now should go forward and get a few wins

What do some people think ffs, this a forum where people are allowed to form their own opinions.

My god it would be boring if everybody held the same views and agreed with everything that was said.

If you can't take the disagreements, banter, difference of opinions then you should not be on a forum.

If I wanted success on a near permanent basis, I'd support Man Utd. I love Saints, have done for 20 years or so, and the ups and downs are what makes supporting this club entertaining. I don't buy my tickets to see the lads play with the expectation of us winning, I buy my tickets because I'm a Saints fan and I want to show them my support.

I don't wish to deny the "glass half empty" posters their right to moan about the Saints, that's their choice, but I wouldn't hardly ever moan about them, because I know that, good or bad, Saints will be the one constant in our lives. If I moaned about them as much as some do, I think I'd go mad, or be dead, by 40.

I want to be back in the CCC. As much as anyone. It will happen too, it will. Every fibre in my being hopes that it is next year, but if not, it will happen, with or without the current manager, or chairman, or players. Enjoy the ride, because we support a club with as many downs as ups. We aren't Man Utd. In 30 years, who knows, but we certainly aren't now. I always know that, whatever happens in my life, I'll have the sweet relief of Saints for those 90 minutes every once in a while.

What gets me is the negative people who get offended when anyone says "we're aiming for the play-offs". ML has spent all this money and people don't think the team we support should be any better than mid table in L1. How negative can you get?

so no matter what happens to our club from this day on you are going to shrug your shoulders and say "I am to blame for choosing to support Saints"?

How do I save a post so I can retrieve it later?

I have an opinion, but am old enough and ugly enough to know that crap football is part and parcel of life supporting a team like Southampton.

I could complain about it, but it ain't going to change is it?

I've been watching for 35 years and seen some great football, some crap football and lots of mediocre stuff in the middle.

Do I want for better? Yes. Whose fault is it if I don't get it? Mine.

Why? Because apart from cheering, hurling abuse or simply not turning up, there ain't a lot I can influence over what goes on on the pitch.

As it happens, however, this year is the best season I can remember in eons.

And anyone who thinks Pardew isn't winning enough matches should have a look at how many we won under WGS... ;)

I am sorry to hear of your recent trials and tribulations and hope that your life returns to some sort of normality soon. When such events intrude into one's life, then we get a sharper perspective on things. I hope that you get to see not only the full 90 minutes on Saturday, but also a convincing Saints win.

Rubbish. I wouldn't be surprised that more people who travel home and away week-in and week-out are asking questions than hardcore types who are sitting pretty happy with the world at the moment.

Edited by shurlock

If you look at the OP, it says "some people on this forum can be so negative about all things Saints so much of the time."

I'm sure he wasn't thinking of you and criticism as a whole but the inevitability of some people's posts to be invariably saying the same thing, time and time and time again. Any reasonable points that are made just get lost in the wearisome reaction by others, conditioned to the attitude "Oh gawd, there they go again". You could actually take posts by some people, remove the names, and 90% on here could make a reasonable guess at the poster.

Yep, we want "opinions, good or bad", it's just that from some people they don't occur.