Losing Players

SuperMikey

Thinking last night that now the play-offs are looking more unlikely, we might be at risk of losing a few players in the summer. I think the players below would definitely be being looked at by other clubs:

Adam Lallana - Young, bright prospect and great potential.

Rickie Lambert - Established goalscorer, looks to be a class above L1.

Morgan Schneiderlin - Fantastic vision, upped his game this season too. Could Wenger come-a-calling?

Dean Hammond - Midfield marshall, always working hard. Valuable in any team.

Dan Harding - Reliable left back who can also attack down the flank.

IMO keeping these 5 players is absolutely integral to our promotion push next season. I doubt that any of our players would want to leave unless their heads were turned by bigger clubs, but a big new contract in the summer for top performers this season could cement their places here in the team for the future.

If you were Rickie Lambert and Newcastle came in offering you £30k a week and the chance to play at a higher level, what would you do?

Well if that happened then it doesn't matter what Saints did as they wouldn't match it, nor offer him Premiership football. I very much doubt Lambert would be considered to be a Premiership player, which is where Newcastle will be in the Summer. Championship is his level imo.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Well if that happened then it doesn't matter what Saints did as they wouldn't match it.

How sure are you about that? From the way that Liebherr and Cortese have forked out £3m in transfers in L1, I would say that they don't have any problems with money. £30k a week is a hell of a lot, but considering Rickie's already on 24 goals and counting in February, i'd say it's worth it. Without his goals we'd be much further down the league.

Well if that happened then it doesn't matter what Saints did as they wouldn't match it, nor offer him Premiership football. I very much doubt Lambert would be considered to be a Premiership player, which is where Newcastle will be in the Summer. Championship is his level imo.

We took Brett Ormerod from L1 when we were a club of a similar stature to Newcastle. Newcastle won't be fighting relegation next season, they'll settle straight back into mid-table obscurity.

Lallana will go imo. By the sounds of interviews from AP at the beginning of the season, he had to do quite a bit of convincing to make him stay. The rest must have realised that when they joined that there was a strong possibility that we wouldn't go up this season.

Edited by Golden Balls

How sure are you about that? From the way that Liebherr and Cortese have forked out £3m in transfers in L1, I would say that they don't have any problems with money. £30k a week is a hell of a lot, but considering Rickie's already on 24 goals and counting in February, i'd say it's worth it. Without his goals we'd be much further down the league.

If Saints are still in League One next year there isn't a chance in hell that they will offer a player £30k p/w. £9k p/w tops

He is also in contract beyond next season so don't need to sell or offer a new contract. They can simply say no and he doesn't move. However if a Prem team wants him he would go no matter what.

Surely you're joking, morgan has had a good season but I think you're massively underestimating the divide between premiership and league 1

I know he's not the finished article yet, but you can see in his game the amazing potential he has. His vision is excellent and he can pick out a pass with pinpoint accuracy from anywhere on the field. With the right mentoring he could easily play in the Prem.

Lallana will go imo. By the sounds of interviews from AP at the beginning of the season, he had to do quite a bit of convincing to make him stay. The rest must have realised that when they joined that there was a strong possibility that we wouldn't go up this season.
Wrong. Lallana is 90% or more sure to stay next season.

Wrong. Lallana is 90% or more sure to stay next season.

I agree. Better for him to play for a team challenging for the top two in League One than in the reserves for a lower Premiership team like Surman has been for most of the season. He has plenty of time to play in the Premiership and staying with Saints will likely see him in the Championship for the 2011/12 season.

Hate to say it, but I think he's the most likely to go as well. You can see that he loves the club, you could see how upset he was after the P*mpey game and how he's put his all in this season, but you can also see that he's made to play at a higher level than L1.

OK, so we have players that teams above us will want. But the best thing about us at the moment is that whoever wants them will have to pay top dollar for them & we'll get that to re-invest back in the team.

No doubt teams that get promoted this season i.e. Leeds & Norwich will want Rickie, but I doubt they'll have the funds to go get him.

OK, so we have players that teams above us will want. But the best thing about us at the moment is that whoever wants them will have to pay top dollar for them & we'll get that to re-invest back in the team.

No doubt teams that get promoted this season i.e. Leeds & Norwich will want Rickie, but I doubt they'll have the funds to go get him.

And what sort of transfer fee do you imagine that Lambert would command?

He isn't "a steal' at 15 million to be sure. Leeds and Norwich will have far more money to spend on players than we will,because there is outside money in the CCC and they both get good gates. We need to drop the "king of the castle " attitude. We haven't exactly thrown millions at the market either. We've bought some good players on easy terms but we ain't Man U, Chelsea or Man C or even Nottingham Forest.

We have the funding to keep all our players. Unless a bid comes in which is ridiculous, such as £5million for Lallana, then the only way we would have to sell is if the player wanted to go. Keep them sweet, cheer them on and show them all how much we appreciate them!

The thing about Rickie is that his age will count against him. He's 28 now and therefore at the peak of his career. Will another club fork out serious money for a guy approaching 30 who's untested above this division? I don't think they will.

Nothing against him, obviously, as I think Rickie is a fantastic player and was a particularly inspired signing by Pardew. Just that with many clubs struggling financially, many clubs look to invest in players who they can sell on later.

All that the original poster said was true but lets just hope and prey that teams above us mistakenly think of

Lambert - big fat **** thats a L1/Champo player at best and only scores headers and pens

Schneiderlin - DMF who offers nothing going forward and scores no goals so cant be that great

Harding - average LB who was released from a c/ship club

Lallana - ok in League 1 but no better than a helluva lot of academy players in Prem clubs who could make it in the Prem in the Wilshere/Ramsey mould (also he's not even that young anymore)

Hammond - average lower league player who's never come close to playing in the Premiership

Honestly I actually think that these players staying here is mostly conditional to them not getting spotted and slipping under the radar than it is to what we do to keep them here, but i fortunately think that *THE ABOVE* is what a lot of other teams will mistakenly think of them

Leeds and Norwich will have far more money to spend on players than we will,because there is outside money in the CCC and they both get good gates. We need to drop the "king of the castle " attitude. We haven't exactly thrown millions at the market either. We've bought some good players on easy terms but we ain't Man U, Chelsea or Man C or even Nottingham Forest.

1) Leeds and Norwich have massive money problems.

2) Saints have been huge spenders. A League One side that had a net spend greater than 12 Premiership clubs in January.

We took Brett Ormerod from L1 when we were a club of a similar stature to Newcastle. Newcastle won't be fighting relegation next season, they'll settle straight back into mid-table obscurity.

They will be if they don't spend a truck load of cash in the summer. I can't imagine a strike force of Carroll and Best will be exactly up to standard in the PL

They will be if they don't spend a truck load of cash in the summer. I can't imagine a strike force of Carroll and Best will be exactly up to standard in the PL

I should imagine that Ashley will offload the club in the summer when they're back up in the Prem. They've got a decent team, players like Alan Smith can still play in the Prem even if they've not been getting a look-in before (he's their captain now oddly enough). I'm surprised at the quality of players they managed to hang onto actually, Coloccini, Smith, Nolan, Gutierrez, Enrique....they're all good players for Prem teams and far above CCC level.

Edited by SuperMikey

I should imagine that Ashley will offload the club in the summer when they're back up in the Prem. They've got a decent team, players like Alan Smith can still play in the Prem even if they've not been getting a look-in before (he's their captain now oddly enough). I'm surprised at the quality of players they managed to hang onto actually, Coloccini, Smith, Nolan, Gutierrez, Jonas, Enrique....they're all good players for Prem teams and far above CCC level.

Yep....and they were all there last season, with other better players than they have now, and got relegated. We also had 'quality' players and still got relegated, so maybe they're not as good as people think.

There's a massive difference between being good in the CCC (their fans will tell you they're not actually that good) and being mid table mediocrity in the PL.

I think an appearance at Wembley and (hopefully) a winner's medal will go some way to convincing certain players that they are at the right club.

Maybe for the likes of Luton in the conference, but any decent player will hardly be bragging about it. Nice to go to Wembley but lets get serious here, it's the next step up from that 5 a side tournament we had listed in our honours.

The longer we are in League 1, the more chance we have of losing players. All that contract means is how long we have to pay them for, not how long we can force them to stay. Any player that really wants out, will go.

Maybe for the likes of Luton in the conference, but any decent player will hardly be bragging about it. Nice to go to Wembley but lets get serious here, it's the next step up from that 5 a side tournament we had listed in our honours.

The longer we are in League 1, the more chance we have of losing players. All that contract means is how long we have to pay them for, not how long we can force them to stay. Any player that really wants out, will go.

You're kidding!

I'm sure that every footballer has dreamt of playing at Wembley.

In fact just about every kid dreams of playing there, no matter where they are from.

'Hallowed turf' etc etc.

I should imagine that Ashley will offload the club in the summer when they're back up in the Prem. They've got a decent team, players like Alan Smith can still play in the Prem even if they've not been getting a look-in before (he's their captain now oddly enough). I'm surprised at the quality of players they managed to hang onto actually, Coloccini, Smith, Nolan, Gutierrez, Jonas, Enrique....they're all good players for Prem teams and far above CCC level.

Same player. ;)

I think we should be considering the players most likely to be leaving the club as they come towards the end of their careers. I don't expect to see Jaidi, Perry, Connolly and Murty around next season but they are all important members of the team.

Dont think Thomas and Holmes will be around also not sure about Jaidi

I think we should be considering the players most likely to be leaving the club as they come towards the end of their careers. I don't expect to see Jaidi, Perry, Connolly and Murty around next season but they are all important members of the team.

2 out of 4 IMO.

Connolly will still be here on a pay as you play, similar to what he is on now.....why would you lose someone that classy who even playing only half the games will still net you a dozen goals ? Please expalin your logic.

Jaidi signed a two year contract, end of story.

Perry and Murty will go yes....as will Molyneux, Pulis, Lancashire etc

I think people will be surprised come the summer, this is a different club now and we're not going to sell for the sake of it. I know it's weird - cause we've gone into every window expecting to sell etc. Look at the Jan window though....that is a big clue as to how we'll operate in the market from now on.

We're probably the only club out of the PL that can say ''no'' to bids for our best players, and at the end of the day, with the financial position of clubs outside the PL - not many will be spending megabucks on young talent.

We're in a very very strong position right now

I think people will be surprised come the summer, this is a different club now and we're not going to sell for the sake of it. I know it's weird - cause we've gone into every window expecting to sell etc. Look at the Jan window though....that is a big clue as to how we'll operate in the market from now on.

We're probably the only club out of the PL that can say ''no'' to bids for our best players, and at the end of the day, with the financial position of clubs outside the PL - not many will be spending megabucks on young talent.

We're in a very very strong position right now

At last, a voice of reason, as so many of your posts are.

Lallana and Spiderman will be off..

They've got the biggest potential.

Agree that they are the most likely, together with James. Not just because of potential but also they are not Pardew players, and so were not brought in as part of his visions. That said I suspect none of them will actually leave.

Agree that they are the most likely, together with James. Not just because of potential but also they are not Pardew players, and so were not brought in as part of his visions. That said I suspect none of them will actually leave.

Not Pardew players ?

Are you serious ? He praises Lallana and Morgan every chance he gets, he is yet to drop either of them and are so much centre to his vision its untrue.

the team is being built around Morgan and Adam, they are a massive part of the vision that pardew has for this team.

What seems to have been forgotten is that Southampton now go to teams in higher divisions and snap their players up ala Fonte, I believe this shows what sort of position we are now in. I think the likes of Connolly and Perry will go, but I reckon the nucleus of AP's favourite 11 will still be here for another season.

What seems to have been forgotten is that Southampton now go to teams in higher divisions and snap their players up ala Fonte, I believe this shows what sort of position we are now in. I think the likes of Connolly and Perry will go, but I reckon the nucleus of AP's favourite 11 will still be here for another season.

spot on.

if we can attract players like Fonte when we are in the bottom half of L1, then just imagine who we can attract with a clean slate and ambitions of winning the league!

we did it once to a team on the brink of administration

Sorry, but those of you who think we won't lose any of our top players in the summer need to wake up and realise that we are a division 3 club. Regardless of our very strong financial position, there are 44 other clubs who can offer a higher standard of football. We have one or two players who aren't getting any younger (namely Lambert) and if a lower premiership club, or even a high championship club come in for any of them then i would say they would definately want to go. For someone like Rickie who hasn't experienced the big time before, it would be difficult to turn down an offer from a Newcastle, Wolves or even a Nottingham Forest at this stage in his career. In my honest opinion, there will be a lot of clubs in for him in the summer. I hope he stays but i fear he is definately one that may leave us.

I also think we'll lose Adam and we'll lose Morgan. Both probably to the same kind of clubs - lower premiership/top end of the championship. Some may argue that they'd be better off staying here and having the team built around them again next year but they're clearly both very ambitious lads. If you were them would you want to be visiting the likes of Stockport, Wycombe and Exeter on cold Tuesday nights for another year?