Connolly or Barnard?

CWD

If DC comes back to full fitness who would you start with?

Barny works harder arguably, DC has a touch of class.

Im just glad its AP who has to make the decision and not me :D what a problem to have!

For me, Connolly is a great sub.

It worked really well for us when we could bring him off the bench, esp. in away games as he often gave us that edge in the last 20mins.

I can see him being used that way for the rest of the season. You can't drop barnard on this form!

Barnard has the shirt but Connolly will get his chance. If he puts a couple of goals away the pressure will go the other way round. They might also get to play together if Rickie gets a rest. A club needs three quality strikers to be sure of consistent performance. Absolutely great situation

It's very easy that one. Has to be Barnard as clearly Lambert is much happier with him alongside. They have built up a great partnership and understanding. Although Connolly was awesome when he played those same games were when Lambert seem a little off key playing the deeper role which just doesn't seem to suit him.

Edited by Greenridge

May be a bit harsh but surely Barnard has a future, Connolly only a past.

DC's days are sadly numbered because if this on going injury problem that is going to blight the rest of his career. He will be useful to have around, fill in when injuries/suspensions come along and occasionally as a sub but with the way Barnard is now slamming them home it has to be Barnard.

May be a bit harsh but surely Barnard has a future, Connolly only a past.

DC's days are sadly numbered because if this on going injury problem that is going to blight the rest of his career. He will be useful to have around, fill in when injuries/suspensions come along and occasionally as a sub but with the way Barnard is now slamming them home it has to be Barnard.

Hear Hear

barnard every time. He works hard and a natural goalscoring instinct as well as a bit of bite.

To liken him to Ormerod is a real slieght Imo

Do like the look of Barnard and don't think Ormoerod ever quite convinced, although to be fair, we were playing at a higher level when he was here. Barnard's second goal against Walsall was an absolute gem, goal scoring position, quick control and immediate strike, but Connolly has also shown premier quality striking. When Barnard missed a couple of chances in his first two games people were quick to criticise and as fans we tend to rate players on the basis of their last game. If he goes a couple of games without scoring, the doubters will let themselves be known, equally if Connolly gets a game and scores, people will be saying you can't drop him. What a great dilemma for a manager but I don't think you can ever say a player will always be first choice as form can fluctuate, sometimes just because of luck.

barnard every time. He works hard and a natural goalscoring instinct as well as a bit of bite.

To liken him to Ormerod is a real slieght Imo

Indeed, Barnard can control a football and has some upper body strength. Both qualities that Ormerod lacked Both work hard though

what a fantastic choice. Connelly at the top of his game would get my vote. His display at Walsall before xmas was phenominal and thats what sticks in my mind. At ths moment in time though Barnard would have to start with Connelly getting his match fitness back (again) through sub appearances. Mind you Waigo might have somethign to say about that as he has been outstanding when he has come on up front in recent games.

Just to remind people, Brett Omerod at the age of 33 is still playing and scoring in the league above Saints for the 8th place team in the Championship...;)

And let that be an inspiration to all those of you reading this who have little in the way of talent and good looks.

I'd like to point out that comparing Barnard to Ormerod was meant to be a compliment! I agree that Barny is more effective for us than Brett, but remember we are now in a far lower level.

FWIW I would also keep Barnard in for as long as he is playing out of his skin!