Will you go when we reach the promised land...

Legod Third Coming

I don't really know why, but I suspect I will probably stop going to games so much if/when we reach the Premiership.

I am not a mediocre man (well I probably am, but I mean I don't aspire to mediocrity).

But I actually love League One football - yes, even though I consider it a God-foresaken wasteland - places like Wycombe where Guy Ritchie could happily film his latest East-end gangland ruck - Sheds, Freds and Two Smoking Stewards...

But something about watching this level of football, well it appeals to me immensely.

I can really celebrate when Rickie or Barney score because somehow they make me think I could be out there. Whereas, a Ronaldo would just make me wish I spent longer in the gym and begrugde the little terd my cash when he stiffs his 599...

Am I going mad?

I know what you mean. I have mixed feelings as whilst I want Saints to get promoted, the football and the whole match day experience are more enjoyable (at least for me) at this level and I think the Premiership has changed a lot since we were in it..... and definitely not for the better.

Edited by eesti matty

I know what you mean. I have mixed feelings as whilst I want Saints to get promoted, the football and the whole match day experience is more enjoyable (at least for me) at this level and I think the Premiership has changed a lot since we were in it..... and definitely not for the better.

I think that the current economic climate will mean that the EPL is not quite as it is now in 3-4 years time. FIFA, UEFA and financial prudence will probably have some input in the way it is regulated.

There is something unholy about the "Premiership", hard to put it into words but it just seems to have lost its soul to cash. I want us to get promoted but it wouldn't bother me if we stayed in the CCC. I just find it hard to identify with all of these foreign imports, as good as many of them are. The CCC seems much more like I remember the good old Division 1 to be like.

I want to get out of this god awful **** hole of a league as soon as possible, the championship I can deal with, I remember seeing some pretty decent footy played up there, but L1 is just depressing. Dont get me wrong, im loving seeing Saints win more games, and we do play some pretty sexy stuff at times, but to want to stay in this league is ******* mental.

Of course i'll still go, but a part of me will miss the rough'n'tumble of L1. Seeing as i'll be a student within a couple of months I may pick up supporting a team like Totton or Eastleigh, because i've actually grown to love 'lower league' football!

I want to get out of this god awful **** hole of a league as soon as possible, the championship I can deal with, I remember seeing some pretty decent footy played up there, but L1 is just depressing. Dont get me wrong, im loving seeing Saints win more games, and we do play some pretty sexy stuff at times, but to want to stay in this league is ******* mental.

LOL - I reckon that qualifies as mad! ;)

This. It's also embarrassing.

I'm sure the people who think this will have changed their opinion if we happened to be in a playoff final to get to the prem....

Not me, don't get me wrong. I will go to the play-off final and love it if we win - I'm a SAINT after all. But I can't get excited by the prospect of seeing Fergie again... It's too much like playing American 'franchises'. Something about being down here slumming it has made me remember why I enjoy football.

It's reminded me that football is a journey not a destination.

I probably won't be able to afford it as much when/if we get back to the EPL. £19.00 for me and the nipper is good value for a saints match. Arsenal charge £18.50 for a child to attend an A class match in the family enclousre and £48.00(!!!!) for an adult. If we copy that sort of pricing I'll be lucky to go three times a year.

I'd be happy to go back to the coke a cola and be a top half fizzy pop team, but really the EPL just leaves me cold. However I think our owners are set on the EPL and I don't think these are men who fail. I think being in league one gives us the chance to feel like a big fish in a small pond. However the club will suffer in the long run if we don't get back to a higher league.

Edited by doddisalegend

I don't really know why, but I suspect I will probably stop going to games so much if/when we reach the Premiership.

I am not a mediocre man (well I probably am, but I mean I don't aspire to mediocrity).

But I actually love League One football - yes, even though I consider it a God-foresaken wasteland - places like Wycombe where Guy Ritchie could happily film his latest East-end gangland ruck - Sheds, Freds and Two Smoking Stewards...

But something about watching this level of football, well it appeals to me immensely.

I can really celebrate when Rickie or Barney score because somehow they make me think I could be out there. Whereas, a Ronaldo would just make me wish I spent longer in the gym and begrugde the little terd my cash when he stiffs his 599...

Am I going mad?

Know what you mean. Goes without saying that I want Saints to do well, but I've really enjoyed this season. I'd do less games if we were in the Premier League, Sod paying £45 to see us getting hammered by Chelsea surrounded by JCLs, can't think of anything worse.

I probably won't be able to afford it as much when/if we get back to the EPL. £19.00 for me and the nipper is good value for a saints match. Arsenal charge £18.50 for a child to attend an A class match in the family enclousre and £48.00(!!!!) for an adult. If we copy that sort of pricing I'll be lucky to go three times a year.

I'd be happy to go back to the coke a cola and be a top half fizzy pop team, but really the EPL just leaves me cold. However I think our owners are set on the EPL and I don't think these are men who fail. I think being in league one gives us the chance to feel like a big fish in a small pound. However the club will suffer in the long run if we don't get back to a higher league.

I agree with you about the prices, but at least we're always a bronze game when we play away at most grounds.

Not me, don't get me wrong. I will go to the play-off final and love it if we win - I'm a SAINT after all. But I can't get excited by the prospect of seeing Fergie again... It's too much like playing American 'franchises'. Something about being down here slumming it has made me remember why I enjoy football.

It's reminded me that football is a journey not a destination.

That's a bit of existentialism joined with a bit of zen. Obviously L1 is an inspiring place.

I also think you have a point, and I keep thinking that the Prem will have one or two more disasters and be forced to change all it's ways before we get there. Fighting for survival from the first day to the last isn't terribly uplifting, and we will never compete up there with money alone.

Know what you mean. Goes without saying that I want Saints to do well, but I've really enjoyed this season. I'd do less games if we were in the Premier League, Sod paying £45 to see us getting hammered by Chelsea surrounded by JCLs, can't think of anything worse.

agreed.

cant see the point of paying £45 to watch Saints lose.

Not sure I can see the point of paying £45 to watch Saints beat Bolton, Hull, Burnley, Blackburn etc

perhaps by the time we get there footballers will be paid £80k per year rather than £80k per week

That's a bit of existentialism joined with a bit of zen. Obviously L1 is an inspiring place.

I also think you have a point, and I keep thinking that the Prem will have one or two more disasters and be forced to change all it's ways before we get there. Fighting for survival from the first day to the last isn't terribly uplifting, and we will never compete up there with money alone.

Quite season after season of hanging on by our fingernails doesn't fill me with excitment. We don't have MLT to brighten up those dire seasons this time round either.

I do have to go to one Prem game a year, you cannot beat a fully stadium. It if course is not the same as watching Saints.

The pace of premier league games after watching league one is amazing, and the slick passing. Yes there are still mistakes, but you can notice a big difference.

As us expats aren't allowed to talk about the Good Old days so I'll go for a more scientific approach.

This year we are having what the Yanks (oops) call a winning season. In our years in the PL they were few and far between. That makes a huge difference to the enjoyment of the football we hear or watch (apart from Away games of late of course).

PL land is franchise land, even with a great deal of luck the likelihood will be that we will have a first team of 7 or 8 "experienced PL quality players" or "mercenaries".

Can I agree with the OP? Well, yes if it meant watching (listening) to a team of Delaps & Telfers again instead of Lallana, Hammond & Morgan...

But in reality - No. I want us to be playing at the highest level.

Would it be better if the PL wasn't the way it is now - hell yes.

Not all the way back to the old div 1 days (oops sorry) but reality and money has to give a better balance.

There has to be a realistic (not Happy Clappy) chance of causing an upset and turning Liverpool (oops easy these days) Chelsea or Man U over.

The top flight of English Football was about dreams. Now it is about Accountants

As us expats aren't allowed to talk about the Good Old days so I'll go for a more scientific approach.

This year we are having what the Yanks (oops) call a winning season. In our years in the PL they were few and far between. That makes a huge difference to the enjoyment of the football we hear or watch (apart from Away games of late of course).

PL land is franchise land, even with a great deal of luck the likelihood will be that we will have a first team of 7 or 8 "experienced PL quality players" or "mercenaries".

Can I agree with the OP? Well, yes if it meant watching (listening) to a team of Delaps & Telfers again instead of Lallana, Hammond & Morgan...

But in reality - No. I want us to be playing at the highest level.

Would it be better if the PL wasn't the way it is now - hell yes.

Not all the way back to the old div 1 days (oops sorry) but reality and money has to give a better balance.

There has to be a realistic (not Happy Clappy) chance of causing an upset and turning Liverpool (oops easy these days) Chelsea or Man U over.

The top flight of English Football was about dreams. Now it is about Accountants

Please strike this from the minutes ex pats are not allowed to comment (apparently);)

Just wanted to add that I totally see where the OP is coming from on this one. The Premiership is a pile a w*** at the moment. I've no interest anymore in watching John Terry and Frank Lampard (two of the people I hate more than anything in the world) prance around and get half a million a week or whatever it is.

League 1 isn't good quality football, but it's at least real. No John Terry's welcome.

It's nice.

Please strike this from the minutes ex pats are not allowed to comment (apparently);)

Sorry. I need to switch back to expat mode

The PL is full of cheats and crooks and we only get 38 games a year unlike the 60 or so this year.

Your political system is full of hmm well don't think any expletive does them justice.

Your roadworks are awful and you can't keep the roads/hospitals open and clamp people who abandon their cars for safety reasons

Why does the BBC only seem to make Cookery programmes

Your Police are useless as they are hamstrung by Health & Safety

This is a Joke Thread

We'll never make the PL we are a no name under achieving no ambition from top to bottom club

:smt059

Better? ;)

Much though I hate to empathise with them, I think a lot of Skates fans have tired of the novelty of the Prem and having to pay £35 - £40 to watch a game of football, which is an obscene price really.

Especially to then have to sit in what can only be described as 'a health hazard'.

I would dearly, desperately want to go, but 40 quid a ticket, as well as the travel costs from Cov? And (all going well) at a time when I may be starting a family of my own? It just couldn't happen.

Sky and Match of the Day would keep me sane, thank goodness attendances have negligable effect in the Premiership on club's sustainability and plastics will crawl out of the gutter to take my place.

Just wanted to add that I totally see where the OP is coming from on this one. The Premiership is a pile a w*** at the moment. I've no interest anymore in watching John Terry and Frank Lampard (two of the people I hate more than anything in the world) prance around and get half a million a week or whatever it is.

League 1 isn't good quality football, but it's at least real. No John Terry's welcome.

It's nice.

But seriously

Many many wise journalists have questioned Football and it's finances and morals.

The PL is a major success story for "UK PLC" earning huge amounts of export money.

However, along the way it has alienated one sector of it's most critical mixture - the fans.

The football where we are is dire at times and we REALLY need to get out.

But the CRITICAL point is that L1 (and CCC) football IS competitive. On any given weekend anyone can win.

The PL is NOT competitive, there are 6 or 8 teams playing for something at the top and the rest are trying to hang on.

That is wrong. If it is about money for the top clubs why play football at all - just give them the fecking TV revenue and tell them to all sod off

But seriously

Many many wise journalists have questioned Football and it's finances and morals.

The PL is a major success story for "UK PLC" earning huge amounts of export money.

However, along the way it has alienated one sector of it's most critical mixture - the fans.

The football where we are is dire at times and we REALLY need to get out.

But the CRITICAL point is that L1 (and CCC) football IS competitive. On any given weekend anyone can win.

The PL is NOT competitive, there are 6 or 8 teams playing for something at the top and the rest are trying to hang on.

That is wrong. If it is about money for the top clubs why play football at all - just give them the fecking TV revenue and tell them to all sod off

Yeah. This is what I was trying to say but in fewer and more poorly constructed words/sentences. Thanks.

Yeah. This is what I was trying to say but in fewer and more poorly constructed words/sentences. Thanks.

Lol you are the first poster, nay in fact the first recipient of anything I have ever sent by email to say I put something together clearly and well constructed...

Thanks Mum;)

Hmmm, must agree LTC. Football on a Saturday, instead of when the Sky w@nkers say their profits will be maximised, teams coming to pass the ball instead of park the bus. Yup you have a point.

But then again, we'd get 100 times the coverage in the press............

The Promised Land

Wigan V Liverpool

Attendance 17,427

Enough said really. Something is VERY wrong

Wigan are a prime example of clubs that do not merit top flight football. Even more so then Fulham, the Skates and Blackburn.

Even taking us out of the equation there are so many clubs in the championship/league 1 that should be pushing for the top flight and have fanbases that in older times would have sustained it.

Sorry. I need to switch back to expat mode

The PL is full of cheats and crooks and we only get 38 games a year unlike the 60 or so this year.

Your political system is full of hmm well don't think any expletive does them justice.

Your roadworks are awful and you can't keep the roads/hospitals open and clamp people who abandon their cars for safety reasons

Why does the BBC only seem to make Cookery programmes

Your Police are useless as they are hamstrung by Health & Safety

This is a Joke Thread

We'll never make the PL we are a no name under achieving no ambition from top to bottom club

:smt059

Better? ;)

I'll run it by GM et al and ratify it's viability under section 1.g paragraph 2.4 sub section 9.f:roll:

Yeah. Got to. It's Saints, it's football.

My attendance does not depend on which league we're in, but no doubt if we are in the Premiership playing beautiful football in front of packed houses while winning back to back Champions Leagues I'll be grumbling incessantly about ticket prices and reminiscing about the time 7 years earlier when you could rock up to Wycombe, pay on the gate and sit where you want.

Since we got relegated, Saints have finished (I think) 12th, 20th, 6th and 23rd. The season we look set for somewhere between 8th and 12th.

With financial and managerial stability, a similar set of results is more than achieveable. Infact those possitions are actually worse than the previous 4 years in the Prem.

Plus my attempt to reach the 93 club (including Wembley :D) before I die is looking a little thin in the Prem. So far it's just Hull. :(