Rickie Lambert v. Derek Reeves

RonManager

15 will equal it. Although RL is on 30 for the season, only 29 are Saints goals. He needs 16 from 11 games (or 14 if we do make the playoffs and get to Wembley for a second time).

Yep. Also not totally sure if Reeves was in 'all competitions' or just league. FF or David in Sweden will know.

EDIT - 39 league goals in 1959-60 according to 'In that Number'.

Edited by RonManager
Have edited the OP now

Sir Rickie 29 for Saints, so 16 to go to beat the club record.

Derek Reeves, 44 in all comps 1959-60, 39 in league

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/Records/0,,10280~1655663,00.html

Inevitably, this type of comparison will be made, a few differences, but of course it was in the same division (then Div.3 ).

Reeves had already been with Saints for FOUR seasons when he got the 39 goals and it was the peak of his career (then aged 25). He scored 15 in the first 11 games, (inkl. 11 in 5 games).. then scored 4 against SWINDON at The Dell in October 59.

He was very consistant and only once went more than 3 games without scoring at all.

In addition he hit 4, in that legendary FA Cup 5-1 win - away at Man.City.

We can hope Ricky can get close to that old record, but still has a bit to go.

However, all this is put into perspective when we recall, Ron Davies' classic season (1966-67) when he scored 37 in Div.1 (Prem.at that time) PLUS 6 more in Cups. Both Reeves (and hopefully Rickie) will find a place in our history books but down the page a bit from the GREAT Ron Davies.

Edited by david in sweden

How many games did each play back then?

The Div.3 season (59/60) was 46 matches, plus that season we played 6 FA Cup games (went out in 4th round replay.)

No other cup comps. in those days.

Div 1 teams played 42 league games in 1966/67 (RD played in 41)

We played 3 games in the League Cup - Ron scored 3 in ONE game. and

3 matches in FA Cup...Ron scored 3 in that comp.

Derek Reeves scored 4 in a 6-2 win against Swindon at home in October 1959 the first game my dad took me to for my 5th birthday treat.

Are you a fisherman, Toomer?

..I get excited about goals too but that win v. Swindon was actually ONLY 5-1 but you're right Derek did score 4 that day,

although in that same autumn period we did actually beat Shrewsbury 6-3, as well as other wins ; 5-2 v. Mansfield

and 5-1 v.Coventry...so you can't be blamed for mixing the dates.

(I haven't bothered to look up those games where we ONLY won by scoring 4 goals).

106 goals that season ..and we only failed to score in 4 league games all season...and 3 of those were away.

Isn't history wonderful?

Derek who? Who gives a **** Rickies the boy!

We must never forget Derek Reeves. He was a young lad who played for Bournemouth Gasworks on a beatiful pitch at Alder Road Poole. He rose through the ranks and was a joy to watch at Saints.Local boy done good indeed.RIP.

Defences were less organised in the time of Derek Reeves and I would rate Lambert ahead of him

However Ron Davies's achievement of regularly topping the Div 1 (ie Prem equivalent at the time) scoring charts makes him hard to beat

Davies was brilliant in the air but not as good a footballer as Lambert.

btw Derek Reeves joined Saints from Bournemouth Gasworks who were a decent non league side in the mid 1950's. I also saw Reeves score all 5 in a 5-4 win over Leeds in a League Cup game in the 60's (which finished at 10.15 as the floodlights failed)

Was Ron the last Saints player to score 30 in a season ?

I recall Phil Boyer leading the scoring charts (79/80) but don't think he reached 30,nor Channon, or KK during his best season for us.

Le Tiss scored 30 in all comps, in one season. Can't remember which.

Defences were less organised in the time of Derek Reeves and I would rate Lambert ahead of him

However Ron Davies's achievement of regularly topping the Div 1 (ie Prem equivalent at the time) scoring charts makes him hard to beat

Davies was brilliant in the air but not as good a footballer as Lambert.

btw Derek Reeves joined Saints from Bournemouth Gasworks who were a decent non league side in the mid 1950's. I also saw Reeves score all 5 in a 5-4 win over Leeds in a League Cup game in the 60's (which finished at 10.15 as the floodlights failed)

I started watching Saints in the Season Reeves left so did not see him score many but according to other supporters he was a bit hit and miss and should have scored at least sixty with all the chances which came his way

Edited by John B

Was Ron the last Saints player to score 30 in a season ?

I recall Phil Boyer leading the scoring charts (79/80) but don't think he reached 30,nor Channon, or KK during his best season for us.

I think he was. Goals are tougher to get at the highest level.

from the time of the Prem. 92/93 and the following seasons to 2001

MLT scored 15, 25, 20, 7, 13, 11, 6, 3, 1, and 0 until retirement.

The only other player to pass the 20 goal barrier was

James Beattie who scored 23 in 02/03.

------------------------------------------------

Ron Davies scored 37 in 66/67 ..and 28 and 20 in his 3rd season.

Boyer's best season was 23 goals in 79/80

Mick Channon scored 21 in 73/74, 20 in 74/75 and also 20 in 75/76

KK scored 26 (in his second season) 81/82

not forgetting Ted MacDougalls 23 goals in 76/77

and Steve Moran.......... who scored 21 in 83/84

The only other player to reach 20 since then was ..Greg Rasiak.(in CCC)

I think he was. Goals are tougher to get at the highest level.

from the time of the Prem. 92/93 and the following seasons to 2001

MLT scored 15, 25, 20, 7, 13, 11, 6, 3, 1, and 0 until retirement.

The only other player to pass the 20 goal barrier was

James Beattie who scored 23 in 02/03.

------------------------------------------------

Ron Davies scored 37 in 66/67 ..and 28 and 20 in his 3rd season.

Boyer's best season was 23 goals in 79/80

Mick Channon scored 21 in 73/74, 20 in 74/75 and also 20 in 75/76

KK scored 26 (in his second season) 81/82

not forgetting Ted MacDougalls 23 goals in 76/77

and Steve Moran.......... who scored 21 in 83/84

The only other player to reach 20 since then was ..Greg Rasiak.(in CCC)

In 1973/4 we scored an abysmally low number of goals, less than 50, if Channon got 21 he did pretty well.

I was wondering who people meant when they kept talking about "Ron". It's nice somebody bothered to put his surname. I never saw Ron Ekelund play, but it seems he was a bit of a legend.

Sorry,but for those of a certain generation there is but one Ron.

Ron Davies.

All other 'Rons' are imposters !

I started watching Saints in the Season Reeves left so did not see him score many but according to other supporters he was a bit hit and miss and should have scored at least sixty with all the chances which came his way

He was very sharp but he did have two great wingers (Paine and Sydenham) supplying chances and George O'Brien playing alongside him - towards the end of his career with Saints he seemed to have problems staying upright!

Sorry,but for those of a certain generation there is but one Ron.

Ron Davies. All other 'Rons' are imposters !

AMEN to that !

....but Danish born Ronnie Ekelund was actually on loan from (wait for it ..) BARCELONA... in season 1994-95.

His presence in midfield cannot be underestimated. He was a real crowd-pleaser from the first match and revolutionised the midfield and both he and MLT ran riot with opposition sides for 3-4 months - during which time he started 15 times and scored 5 very nice goals.

Sadly, he had a lingering back injury but refused surgery that Saints demanded (before signing )...and so he went his way.

His career never really picked up and he ended his playing days in the USA.

However, regular fans have an elephants memory for entertaining players and Ronnie Ekelund came into that category.

He was very sharp but he did have two great wingers (Paine and Sydenham) supplying chances and George O'Brien playing alongside him - towards the end of his career with Saints he seemed to have problems staying upright!

I have same memories rpb.

Reeves' season still stands in the record book (perhaps for all time,)

but as one-old timer told me years ago at The Dell...

---" Reeves might have scored 39 in the league ..but he missed 100 ! "

He and George O*Brien were a great combination ..(though at 5' 8" Reeves was the TALLEST of the two,) but they were a tremendous duo ..thanks to their wingers.

I knew Derek quite well in his later life and he was quite a bitter old man, He hated most things about the modern game and was more interested in horse racing. To be honest I didn't really like the bloke and it was dissapointing that a Saints legend was like he was. Told me he prefered Arsenal to Saints (and this was pre Wenger days), maybe he was just winding me up, but he did seem very negative towards Saints and the players that came after him (although he was very respectful of TP & JS, and most players he played with).

I knew Derek quite well in his later life and he was quite a bitter old man, He hated most things about the modern game and was more interested in horse racing. To be honest I didn't really like the bloke and it was dissapointing that a Saints legend was like he was. Told me he prefered Arsenal to Saints (and this was pre Wenger days), maybe he was just winding me up, but he did seem very negative towards Saints and the players that came after him (although he was very respectful of TP & JS, and most players he played with).

I suppose you can't really blame him when he sees players these days making more in a week than he would have got in a whole season.

Yes the game was different then, but some aspects of todays football (gamesmanship) aren't pretty to see, either.

What's everyone's favourite stories about Big Ron?

Mine is how Saints were staying in a pre-season training camp near Barcelona's and Alan Ball met Johann Cruff in the hotel. Johann wanted to leave Bally a parting gift and said "What is it you most want?" to which Alan replied "A left sided midfielder!"

The next day Big Ron was training with the Saints!

Mine is how Saints were staying in a pre-season training camp near Barcelona's and Alan Ball met Johann Cruff in the hotel. Johann wanted to leave Bally a parting gift and said "What is it you most want?" to which Alan replied "A left sided midfielder!"

I think you are talking about Little Ron...

Big Ron was signed from Norwich for £50 000 in 1966.

How many penalties did Reeves score in that season

He didn't take penalties or free kicks. John Page took the penalties. I think George O'Brien took them in later seasons. All his goals were from play.

"Big Ron" ?

As much as I liked Ronnie Ekelund,it really is blasphemy to confuse the two of them!

I think you are talking about Little Ron...

Big Ron was signed from Norwich for £50 000 in 1966.

Joking aside, the two Ron(nie)s would have made an awesome strike force if they could have played together at their prime.Assisted by Messrs Sydenham and Paine of course.

Probably my favourite stories about the real "Big Ron",are those my father told me of them being involved in a number of "lock ins" in a couple of pubs in and around Southampton in the 1960's.

He didn't take penalties or free kicks. John Page took the penalties. I think George O'Brien took them in later seasons. All his goals were from play.

Interestingly....

a quick read through of the late 1950's match reports from IN That Number

show; a fair number of good strong runs, often from 30-40 yards out.

Quite a few close range headers and more than a few tap-ins ..but also seems to suggest DR had some good pace - good close control and positional sense - out running / beating defenders / goalie.

He may have missed the 100 (prev.mentioned) but he did know how to finish.