My one moan about wembley

sotonian

and all away games for that matter

when tickets are issued, would it not be possible to get singing fans together?

where i was at wembley there were 12 of us trying to sing, around us were 100's of saints fans that didn't, they just reported us to the stewards for keep standing, to me i am a lively supporter get really into every game, but i understand that others just want to sit back quietly and enjoy the game

surely they could reserve an area that would create a lot of noise, all of the northam block 41/42 should be guaranteed a place together, from where i was at times it seemed there were about 6 different songs being tried to be sung at the same time from small pockets of singing fans, if you had the vocal element together, it would just take off

I agree.

logistical nightmare I'd imagine, especially if everyone from 41/42 took a mate then we're talking about rather a lot of seats.

The acoustics were the problem. You hear the crowd singing 30 yds away it's really strange....

Worst thing about Wembley and I should say it's a fantastic place. The toilet facilities are woefully short of the number required feeding into them. I, along with hundreds of others missed the third goal because Wembley can't work out how many toilets they need !!!!! Pretty basic stuff - the architects must be total idiots........

why do people turn and face the crowd to sing? Cringeworthy. And why cant people sing sat down?

HOW TO SING

"Stand tall with one foot slightly in front of the other one, feet shoulder width apart. This allows you to breathe easily and to allow maximum lung capacity to allow better notes and phrases. Stand up straight, shoulders back and down, floating over your torso. Make sure that your chest is high to give room for your lungs to expand and contract."

why do people turn and face the crowd to sing? Cringeworthy. And why cant people sing sat down?

but some people will always stand, i know its not within the law but its always gonna happen, at least if the northam crowd were together, it would not annoy others that want to sit, you could have the option of choosing to sit amongst regular northam end supporters or not

HOW TO SING

"Stand tall with one foot slightly in front of the other one, feet shoulder width apart. This allows you to breathe easily and to allow maximum lung capacity to allow better notes and phrases. Stand up straight, shoulders back and down, floating over your torso. Make sure that your chest is high to give room for your lungs to expand and contract."

what about chanting like a moron? Hardly andrea boticelli's are we

but some people will always stand, i know its not within the law but its always gonna happen, at least if the northam crowd were together, it would not annoy others that want to sit, you could have the option of choosing to sit amongst regular northam end supporters or not

I agree, for the most part.

We don't have enough fans who instinctively sing, even if they have had a few pints. You can't blame the ground for that. At home games it's probably no more than 10% of the fanbase who sing through the game (though our away support is generally very good). Watching the FA Cup game against Pompey back on Sky Plus, our support was really fervent and passionate, but there wasn't much actual singing across the ground. We don't really do singing as such.

We were surrounded by mutes on Sunday, if it had been a play-off final game which was of huge significance I would have been livid at the lack of vocal support, as it was "only" the JPT, it didn't seem so big a deal and I think it was more of a day out where it was nice to win.

I agree with the original poster - we or Wembley should have engineered a singing section so people who want to sing could sit (stand) together.

The atmosphere was not great because there were too many fans and the singers were clearly all spread out. (Obviously it was brilliant to have so many fans there but it was too many to get the wall of sound going).

A sizeable cluster of singers in one corner would have got the rest of the ground going but songs didn't really seem to take off - the best example being the Ricky Lambert song didn't get going even when he'd scored. It seemed to have been sung by a few on the other side of the ground but not enough for it to take off and it definitely didn't where I was.

I'm no super singer but would have sung more had songs got going, but it's difficult when surrounded by silence. I'm sure I wasn't alone in that.

There was too many plastics and day trippers there to get an atmosphere going.

Saints did try and tell everyone from the Northam/singers to get tickets behind the goal in the lower tier but apart from standing up all game it looked pretty dead in there.

I was under the impression that we did try and organise a singing area, there was certainly a thread about it. I bought block 133 assuming I was in it.

we did the same, we did manage to stand all game, but that's as far as it went really.

To be honest I spent a lot of my time in awe of the crowd and would be suprised if many others didn't. That may not have helped either.

I agree with this 100%. I've already moaned about this loads but the atmosphere on the upper tier was sh1t. Some groups of people where singing but we were far too spread out. I moved to the back row so that I could stand and get away from the codgers beside me. When the first come on you reds went round the two people next to me put their fingers in thier ears.... I wasn't that out of tune :)

A few people around me and in my group did their best to get songs going such as Rickie's song, but it just seemed that the majority don't know the words.

This is so true, and yet it's the best song we've had for years. It's not that hard to learn 5 lines FFS. Difficult to imagine Scousers or Mancunians having this problem, but they're hardly more intelligent, are they?

i was in block 132 and got fed up the amount of times i asked those around me to get behind the lads,one lad, my son and a couple of others who we see in the northam tried get things going but in the end it was pointless,still enjoyed the day kept singing and ****** to those who didnt but to those who did,fantastic

I was in block 130 up near the back right under the roof (floor of the tier above) and it was really strange because you felt cut off from a lot of the crowd, I couldn't see or hear the fans in the tiers above. Some of the people in our area would strike up a song and people would join in but it was impossible to tell what was happening more than a few rows away. I was less impressed with the ****s banging on the metal panels right at the back, I wouldn't have minded if they had got some sort of beat going but just wacking it constanly for 90 mins without any rythum was just annoying.

And those bloody horns! Who thought it was a good idea to buy their kids those? Got there at 9:30am and tried to get som breakfast, when a family with 4 kids stod next to me. The kids were blowing the horns non stop.

I understand some people may think it helps the atmosphere but we are not African or Russian and don't need/use bloody horns.

Overall, we sing far more than 90% of other teams both in the prem and the footbball league.

Of the 10 away games i've been to this season, only Millwall in short bursts impressed.

There were thousands of "singers" present on Sunday but the acoustics and lay out of the place prevented a decent atmosphere-its the same at the England games i've been to there.

Poor design for singing.

what about chanting like a moron? Hardly andrea boticelli's are we.

I have you know I've sung all over the world, including the Sydney Opera House twice. (and that's a rather embarrassing FACT, although it was when I was between the ages of 9 and 14.)

I was under the impression that we did try and organise a singing area, there was certainly a thread about it. I bought block 133 assuming I was in it.

Me too, I was ecstatic at getting my seats in block 134 as I thought thats where the Northam was heading. Was looking forward to an amazing atmosphere.

In the end it was just us and a few lads around us singing, I did get a bit frustrated with the silent majority eventually.

I was in Block 202 and despite it being mixed and just into the Carlisle section it was mostly Saints and we were singing quite alot! However I did mention to my mate on the day how quiet it seemed from the Saints end. His GF who was with us is a Villa fan and she commented on how surprised she was that we were not louder as we have a good reputation apparently!! By the by, she said Villa fans are crap at singing!! Anyway from where I was sat it seemed a mixture of lack of singing and poor acoustics. A few other mates were in top tier behind the goal and thought it was quite good.

The acoustics were the problem. You hear the crowd singing 30 yds away it's really strange....

Worst thing about Wembley and I should say it's a fantastic place. The toilet facilities are woefully short of the number required feeding into them. I, along with hundreds of others missed the third goal because Wembley can't work out how many toilets they need !!!!! Pretty basic stuff - the architects must be total idiots........

While i agree that there were plenty of queues for the loos, this was a bit of a surprise

"Over 2,500 toilets - more than any other stadium in the world"

http://www.wembleystadium.com/gloriouspast/greatmemories/stadiumconcerts

Strange

While i agree that there were plenty of queues for the loos, this was a bit of a surprise

"Over 2,500 toilets - more than any other stadium in the world"

http://www.wembleystadium.com/gloriouspast/greatmemories/stadiumconcerts

Strange

Wembley is a modern multi-purpose venue. The toilets are split 50:50. Football games are about 80% male causing a queue for the gents.

The wife thought it brilliant compared to Exeter, Torquay, even Fulham.

where i was at wembley there were 12 of us trying to sing, around us were 100's of saints fans that didn't, they just reported us to the stewards for keep standing, to me i am a lively supporter get really into every game, but i understand that others just want to sit back quietly and enjoy the game

surely they could reserve an area that would create a lot of noise, all of the northam block 41/42 should be guaranteed a place together, from where i was at times it seemed there were about 6 different songs being tried to be sung at the same time from small pockets of singing fans, if you had the vocal element together, it would just take off

if you want to sing so badly go to frigging church. And why cant you sing sitting down unless you talk out of your ars.e of course ;)

Wembley is a modern multi-purpose venue. The toilets are split 50:50. Football games are about 80% male causing a queue for the gents.

The wife thought it brilliant compared to Exeter, Torquay, even Fulham.

great point, did not really think of that, but i was agreeing anyway, just pointing out the info

Good if your a lady i guess!

Atmosphere in Block 530 was pretty good

I was in there and thought it was pretty naff TBH. We were singing where we were (a pocket of maybe 40 or so) and you could see similar pockets dotted around but couldn't hear any of them because of the crap acoustics, therefore everybody was singing their own songs. When the "COYR's" rang around a couple of times and the "Stand up if you......" it was pretty good and at the end with "The Saints are Coming" it was awesome.

We don't have enough fans who instinctively sing, even if they have had a few pints. You can't blame the ground for that. At home games it's probably no more than 10% of the fanbase who sing through the game (though our away support is generally very good). Watching the FA Cup game against Pompey back on Sky Plus, our support was really fervent and passionate, but there wasn't much actual singing across the ground. We don't really do singing as such.

We were surrounded by mutes on Sunday, if it had been a play-off final game which was of huge significance I would have been livid at the lack of vocal support, as it was "only" the JPT, it didn't seem so big a deal and I think it was more of a day out where it was nice to win.

Pretty much how I see it. We were directly behind the goal on Sunday and the atmosphere was poor, with the majority around us completely silent.

In general I think our vocal support is poor - which away games have been good this year? Maybe Hartlepool, Carlisle, Orient, MK Dons in the JPT off the top of my head stand out.

Sour Mash-I don't think we are poor-who has outsung us this season?

Certainly not the skates-now they were poor.

Maybe "poor" is a little unfair. The majority of teams are s****te these days, especially down at this level, I've always said the whole "lower leagues = better atmosphere" is a complete and utter myth.

Atmosphere was poor where i was in the top tier. But as previously mentioned there may have been 44,000 in the saints section, but of all the people i recognised at the game, only half were actual saints fans and the other half just went for a day out at wembley and would not have sung/ know the words anyway!

if you want to sing so badly go to frigging church. And why cant you sing sitting down unless you talk out of your ars.e of course ;)
yes the sad ****s ruined it for loads of kids and familys who could not see,thank you you selfish me me ****s.

at st marys i don,t mind but on a big day out think about your fellow saints fans for a change.

I don't think it was anything to do with the extra fans.

We were in 529..You could see parts of the ground singing/clapping but couldn't hear what they were singing to join in.

By the time enough had joined in as it moved round the ground for you to make out what they were singing the song was already fizzing out so we could only join in the last bit.

The other issue was there was so many blocks doing there own thing and trying to start songs that they never got in time or sang the same song.

A group in around 527ish were having a right go at getting it going towards the end but again I don't think anyone else could hear them and other parts of the ground were singin something else (but I couldn't hear what!)

The few times the songs did last long enough, COTR and stand up, nearly everyone around us was joining in and it sounded great.

Don't know the answer but next time we play at Wembley we need a plan..don't know what it is or whether it's possible even but if anyone can do it.....

I think one of the things need to be that the songs need to last longer to give people a chance to join in?

Yip 131 - 135 I thought, I was in 134 and we stood all game with plenty of singing but it was hard to get everybody singing together and we certainly lost our tempo in the second half when we took out foot of the gas.

Yip 131 - 135 I thought, I was in 134 and we stood all game with plenty of singing but it was hard to get everybody singing together and we certainly lost our tempo in the second half when we took out foot of the gas.

i think everyone is over analysing this, it was just the size of the place made getting everyone singing the same song at the same time impossible

This is a great idea, IMO. I had one bloke stood about 10 people away from me and he kept singing tuenlessly and very loudly and it really started to f*** me off. I would definitely have preferred him to be elsewhere.

As someone who does not especially want to stand -getting on a bit! -I agree with this 100%. It avoids the conflict between fans with different expectations.