Southend Situation

Matthew Le God

It looks like Southend have a final chance to pay their tax bill by Wednesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southend_utd/8617704.stm

Should they not, they may well be wound up and results expunged.

How would this impact on the League?

Well it would become a 44 game season and Saints wouldn't have a game on the last day of the season taking away the game in hand. However all other play off rivals have already played Southend twice and would lose points from both games.

Updated League One table without Southend Results EDIT: Including Bristol Rovers 5-1 game

P       PTS
6th Huddersfield       40      67
7th Colchester         40      62
8th Southampton        40      60
9th Bristol Rovers     40      58

So all clubs would have 4 games left. Saints would be 7 points behind 6th.

Currently it is 8 points behind with 5 games left(including a game in hand). So it is in Saints interests for this not to happen.

All this probably won't matter as Southend will probably sort something out or go into administration like Pompey did. However it is still a possible future of events.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I know it is Oldham. But if Southend are removed from the league it means Saints like all other playoff hopefuls are on 39 games and that effectively means no game in hand for Saints.

Because when we should play Southend the others will play some-one else.

But the others would lose all the points gained against Southend, we'd lose 3, don't know about the others.Anyone having lost or drawn against them would get an advantage on their current situation.

Because when we should play Southend the others will play some-one else.

But the others would lose all the points gained against Southend, we'd lose 3, don't know about the others.Anyone having lost or drawn against them would get an advantage on their current situation.

Read the opening post and look at the table I made. I did all the work for you.

The only team that could make a massive difference would be Swindon going bust, seeing as they have already done the double on us and the occupy one of the play off spots.

P       PTS
4th Charlton           39      72
5th Huddersfield       39      67
6th Colchester         39      67
7th Southampton        38      60
8th Bristol Rovers     39      55

Which would leave us 7 points off with a game still in hand!

However there is absolutely no chance of this happening unfortunately

That would be a real shame if they went bust

I know someone who lives in Southend & he went to watch our FA Cup match with Pompey in a local pub. There was a number of Southend fans in there en route to their home match with Tranmere, and not a single person was cheering for Pompey

When Lambert scored there were massive cheers

Absolutely no idea why, but the two clubs appear to have developed an affection for each other

They best sort it out - I like Southend.

Best fans I have ever seen at SMS (anywhere)

To be fair that was because they were already down and having a party and we were all but in the play offs. Would have been different if we had both needed results.

Im not sure how much southend owe to the taxman but I dont think its lareg amounts. Would it not be in ML's interest to make a donation to the taxman on thier behalf to keep things level.

Completely contravenes FA rules, as was mentioned when David Gold suggested doing the same for Pompey a couple of months ago.

Im not sure how much southend owe to the taxman but I dont think its lareg amounts. Would it not be in ML's interest to make a donation to the taxman on thier behalf to keep things level.

And then watch the **** that would hit the fan when we beat the by 2 clear goals in the 85th and 88th minute on the last day of the season to snatch the last play off place on goal difference....

Get Barnard into the office & ask him if southend have any decent players left then buy them & send cheque straight to taxman

Ok the player would be unable to be registered to us till end of season but officially he could suffer a mystery injury

I like their bald captain, Barrett I think.

Whilst we discuss the realms of fantasy, what happens if P*mpey go bust in the close season? I know, highly unlikely with their latest tyre kicker emerging, but nonetheless. Presumably they would promote a further team from all the lower leagues?

Just a question, hypothetical. Not that I'm clutching at starws or anything!!

Because a fan dressed as sponge bob:rolleyes:

And one as Patrick....

That was a cracking day though and as a consequence of this I have a soft spot for Southend.

Similar thing happened when we played Stockport in a cup game at The Dell; all the Stockport fans stood up and started singing "STAND UP IF YOU HATE MAN U....etc." We all joined in and we were best mates after that. Good job 'cos they beat us on the night....

Case adjorned to 2:30pm, not looking good for Southend.

Updated table without Southend - 44 games to play.

P       PTS

Would make it even harder for Saints to make the playoffs.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It looks like Southend have a final chance to pay their tax bill by Wednesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southend_utd/8617704.stm

Should they not, they may well be wound up and results expunged.

How would this impact on the League?

Well it would become a 44 game season and Saints wouldn't have a game on the last day of the season taking away the game in hand. However all other play off rivals have already played Southend twice and would lose points from both games.

Updated League One table without Southend Results EDIT: Including Bristol Rovers 5-1 game

P       PTS

So all clubs would have 4 games left. Saints would be 7 points behind 6th.

Currently it is 8 points behind with 5 games left(including a game in hand). So it is in Saints interests for this not to happen.

All this probably won't matter as Southend will probably sort something out or go into administration like Pompey did. However it is still a possible future of events.

Would be still be allowed to stand up at the games if this happens?

Southends fans were a genuinely decent bunch when they came here a couple of years back. There is nothing wrong with a friendship between fans. Yes, i like rivalry, especially with that lot in East Hampshire but i also like a good ol chat with opposing fans and the Southend fans i spoke to were brilliant. They were certainly the best for fancy dress, they had me in stitches!