Whose contract is up?

Kingsland Red

"Those out of contract are Jon Otsemobor, Graeme Murty, Chris Perry, Bartosz Bialkowski, Wayne Thomas, Olly Lancashire, Kayne McLaggon, Michael Poke, Simon Gillett, Anthony Pulis and David Connolly. Papa Waigo’s loan spell from Fiorentina comes to an end as does Michail Antonio’s with Reading, though Pardew is looking to make that deal permanent."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/8129349.Saints_will_get_stronger__insists_Pardew/

"Those out of contract are Jon Otsemobor, Graeme Murty, Chris Perry, Bartosz Bialkowski, Wayne Thomas, Olly Lancashire, Kayne McLaggon, Michael Poke, Simon Gillett, Anthony Pulis and David Connolly. Papa Waigo’s loan spell from Fiorentina comes to an end as does Michail Antonio’s with Reading, though Pardew is looking to make that deal permanent."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/8129349.Saints_will_get_stronger__insists_Pardew/

I would sign on Jon for a year, Murts and Perry on very low wages as back-ups, Bart, and DC for another year.

Release: Semi, Perry, Murty, Thomas, Lancashire, Mcglaggon, Gillet and Pulis.

Renew: both keepers, Connolly and Waigo & Antonio if possible.

IMHO

I expect Bart will want to pursue his career somewhere where he is likely to be a first team keeper. He has been unlucky to be second choice to the experienced Kelvin after starting so well here before his dramatic injury at Newcastle (that seems a very long time ago). He needs games for his own sake, which would be bad for us since neither Poke, Forecast nor Pernecky are promotion quality back-up keepers.

I hope we keep the promising McClaggon and the brilliant Connolly, and not dispose of Wayne Thomas or Perry unless we have strong youthful replacements. hope we sign both Papa and Antonio who have both made important match-winning contributions. None of the others are promotion quality.

Thanks Itchen Dan.

From those listed other than Connolly, (Papa and Antonio) I dont think we would lose much by letting the rest go, and probably save a fair bit of money with Thomas off the wages.

Potential for AP to build a good squad with so many players out of contract.

Keep: Perry as the emergency back-up/coach role , Connolly for 1 more year (pay as you play deal) , both Waigo and Antonio on 2 and 3 year deals respectively, Bart.

Release: The rest of them- thanks but no thanks.

Would agree with that, but if they are all released/not offered new contracts have every faith in Pards to bring in new players as he has done this season

I expect Bart will want to pursue his career somewhere where he is likely to be a first team keeper. He has been unlucky to be second choice to the experienced Kelvin after starting so well here before his dramatic injury at Newcastle (that seems a very long time ago). He needs games for his own sake, which would be bad for us since neither Poke, Forecast nor Pernecky are promotion quality back-up keepers.

Disagree about Poke. If Bart were to leave then I think Poke would expect and be expected to stay. He has experience of promotion, albeit at a lower level, and has now played more than twice as many matches in the League as Bart. If Saints had wanted to get rid of Poke they would have done so a year or two ago, he is seen as the most likely longer term backup to KD. He is at about the right age for a keeper to start playing regularly (25). If Bart stays then expect Poke to make the switch permanently to the Gulls where he is well thought of. I'm sure Saints have not been keeping faith with Michael for nothing.

On the original question keeping Connolly has to be a priority, the guy is sheer class (when fit).

I hope we keep the promising McClaggon and the brilliant Connolly, and not dispose of Wayne Thomas or Perry unless we have strong youthful replacements. hope we sign both Papa and Antonio who have both made important match-winning contributions. None of the others are promotion quality.

Am I the only one who thinks he would make a good replacement for Antonio if he stays at Reading? He looked good in the few games he played last year before the injury. His name seems to crop up in the reserve match reports quite a bit. I think he set up Pulis for his goal in the reserves game which has got to take some talent. By all accounts a fast tricky winger.

Edited by doddisalegend

Probably want a better rb than Otsemobor, & a younger & fitter one than Murty: I expect both of them to be let go. Perry's too old, Thomas not really good enough, Poke likewise not good enough, same for Pulis.

Should keep Waigo & Antonio if possible; worth giving Connolly another year; too soon to give up on Lancashire imo; McLaggon has real promise; Bialkowski likely to be out keeper of the future: keep them all.

Gillett is a question mark, I'd say.

That'd be 6 released, 4 to 6 retained; & one questionable.

Seems about right: Pardew was saying he expected about 5 or 6 to go the other day, apparently.

What about Molyneux, Holmes and Wotton?

I thought they were all out of contract as well.

I know for certain that Lee Holmes has 2 years left on his contract. He has been working hard and wants to earn himself a place in the team.

Can I ask the people saying Poke isn't good enough - how many times have you seen him play?

True. I admit to posting an uninformed opinion. Just that we need to be signing players with CCC potential, and I would like to be reassured in that respect re Poke.

This thread may not be as exciting as ones about who we may sign in the summer but I reckon it's just as important. These lapsed contracts give AP a much-needed chance to clear out the last of the old sick regime and develop his smaller better tighter squad. We need Bart while Papa, Antonio and Connolly are part of the new but the rest will not be missed. Be nice if there was a coaching place for Perry or Murty

Disagree about Poke. If Bart were to leave then I think Poke would expect and be expected to stay. He has experience of promotion, albeit at a lower level, and has now played more than twice as many matches in the League as Bart. If Saints had wanted to get rid of Poke they would have done so a year or two ago, he is seen as the most likely longer term backup to KD. He is at about the right age for a keeper to start playing regularly (25). If Bart stays then expect Poke to make the switch permanently to the Gulls where he is well thought of. I'm sure Saints have not been keeping faith with Michael for nothing.

On the original question keeping Connolly has to be a priority, the guy is sheer class (when fit).

Agree with the part about Connolly, but also note Michael Poke has been on the Saints books since he was ...12, but it takes time with keepers and he's been loyal .

"Those out of contract are Jon Otsemobor, Graeme Murty, Chris Perry, Bartosz Bialkowski,[/color] Wayne Thomas,Olly Lancashire, Kayne McLaggon, Michael Poke, Simon Gillett, Anthony Pulis and David Connolly. Papa Waigo’s loan spell from Fiorentina comes to an end as does Michail Antonio’s with Reading, though Pardew is looking to make that deal permanent." QUOTE]

For me : the red ones to go , The blue 1 year more... the rest ..I'd sign.

Edited by david in sweden

Whenever i've seen Poke play i've been very impressed - ignoring the 5-0 away to Hull where he was injured and had to play on.

In my opinion Poke will be a very good keeper, he is gaining great experience with Torquay, and just coming up to the age where a keeper starts to come into his own, there are very few keepers who star in their early 20s. There is a reason why Michael has been on Saints books for so long, and that is because he is very talented. He has the authority in the box as well, he is not just a good shot stopper. I would prefer to see Saints keep faith with him than Bart personally, but I would also understand if Michael considered a move to further his career. I think he will be good enough for the Championship at least in years to come, consider that he probably has another 12 or 13 seasons in front of him, serious injury permitting.

Just to add about Poke, he has now gone 5 hours without conceding a goal for Torquay, this is a team in the bottom half of Div4, 3 clean sheets in last 3 games, plus last half hour of the previous game when he replaced Scott Bevan. Now 6.5 hours, Gulls won 3-0 again today

Edited by VectisSaint

No, but Richard Wright is, and he's being released by Ipswich! Thought he was very good for us on loan, I have always rated him.

By listening to the post-match interview today, Pardew has hinted at Connolly staying next year. I think he deserves a one-year extension because he's got quite a few goals and has that extra technical class on the ball.

Today was a big game for James, Semi and Waigo as well and only the later really impressed according to Solent.

I can see Pardew trying to get a loan striker in similar to Lambert in the window and we may have seen Antonio for the last time (or will vs Southend).

if I'm not wrong ..I think he was signed on a ...FIVE YEAR contract ?????
you are wrong. He signed a 2.5 year contract. So we are lumbered with him for JUST???? another season I'm afraid.

no chance Thomas will be given a new deal. Pardew has shown time after time how little he rates him. Being dropped after the Ipswich game said it all. Lancashire is out the door. No way we would have signed Martin of Pardew felt he would make it given time. Perry will also not be offered a new deal. Fonte/Jaidi/Seaborne/Martin. That's your 4 whether they are good enough is a different matter.

Murty has zero chance. Semi will get a contract. Being outpaced by the skates down that flank right in front of AP willbe something that lives long in his memory. Never again are we going to be done by pace alone.

Gillett is gone. Pardew doesn't trust his first touch to play in front of the back four that's why he played him at the front of a diamond no the back. Amazed he came back from Donny.

Bartosz Bialkowski is an interesting one. Is he going to sit on our bench for ever? If he doesn't want to then sign O'Brien from the skates. Michael Poke's contract may depend on Barts decision.

Kayne McLaggon is gone.

Anthony Pulis is gone.

David Connolly will get another year. He was tremendous earlier in the season.

Papa Waigo. Who knows, but we should sign him. As we should Michail Antonio.

Whenever i've seen Poke play i've been very impressed - ignoring the 5-0 away to Hull where he was injured and had to play on.

I follow Torquay and he has been very injury prone this season, and during his career really. Missed a lot of this year, has come back for the last three games but then injured his groin yesterday and with Scott Bevan injured (he's also never fit!) he had to play the last half an hour injured. Both should be playing at a higher level, but both are being blighted by injury. Poke is good enough to be first choice backup, but I don't think his fitness record is good enough to be one.

Just to add about Poke, he has now gone 5 hours without conceding a goal for Torquay, this is a team in the bottom half of Div4, 3 clean sheets in last 3 games, plus last half hour of the previous game when he replaced Scott Bevan. Now 6.5 hours, Gulls won 3-0 again today

If they keep a clean sheet for the first 6 minutes of their next game against Notts County he will break the club record for minutes without conceding - breaking the previous record set by... Michael Poke two seasons ago. He's certainly been fantastic.

I would only keep Bart, McLaggon and Papa out of these. As stated elsewhere Reading have extended Antonio's contract to get more money for him.

I thought players like Thomson and White are also out of contract and heard that there are 17 players out of contract this summer?

In making the decisions we need to think can we get a better back up young up and coming keeper to challenge Davis than Poke & Bart?

Can we find a better right back than Semi & Murty?

Can we find a better central defender than Perry,Thomas & Lancashire?

The only player I would definately keep is Connelly.I would love to keep Antonio and maybe Papa.

I think we should give Mcglaggon another season as he was very promising before his injury last season.Lets not regret releasing him too early without giving him a chance.

Thomas will have to take a large paycut wherever he goes in the current recession.Noone will pay him £8k per week.I will trust AP's judgement on him and Perry to whether he offers new contracts or not.

So what does AP do with 5 players who imo are not good enough and are unfortunately not out of contract this year.molyneux,Forecast,Holmes(too injury prone),Wotton and James(jury is now seriously out on James).Any chance of paying some of them off and then ripping up their contracts?

There will be loads of players available this summer including lots of frees from premiership and ccc as many teams try to reduce costs and many clubs will consider offers for good players to balance the books.Puts us in a brilliant position to take full advantage and get some very good players here for div 1 and ccc level.That is why I would only sign Semi as a back up as we can certainly get better