Brutally honest, forget its me posting this - who is disappointed in our transfers ?

alpine_saint

Yes, because you forgot to c&p the bit 3 paragraphs further down:

"He later handed most of his shares back to his family, and he has been running his own group of companies, the Mali Group, since 1994."

So he has had no interest in cranes since 1994. For all I know maybe he is a crane spotter still, but his business is concerned with transmission and machinery largely for the railway industry, see under "The MALI Group" in Wiki.

ML does not do cranes, but his brother and sister do.

The original post said: 'Markus has nothing to do with Liebherr cranes and vehicles' - My point was he clearly IS linked seeing as it is his family. It sounds like he still has some shares too although I know wiki to be inaccurate at times - it does look like a Saints fan might have written it. I only care as being an engineer I see Liebherr vehicles onsite all the time - which makes me smile.

Anyway, on topic, I am slightly concerned but not to the extent of most... We have a gelled squad that needs a couple of extra bodies, they can slot in, its what every other club does. If we don't get anyone in then its all over and I'll have to start supporting FC Thun.

no we wont. The team is there. We will not be building a new one. We didn't have Harding, Fonte, Jaidi, Richardson, Hammond, Puncheon, Lambert or Barnard this time last year. That is a big change that needed gelling.

There maybe one or two added but nothing like that

I think Alpine has made a reasonable point and doesn't deserve the abuse frankly..

Yes he does. I teach little kiddies English and I don't use the local language even though I'm fluent. I use English to do various stories. I haven't done the story of the boy who cried Wolf!, but that's what Alpine does, and it's actually given me a great idea for a lesson plan! He does make some reasonable points, but they are so obscured by his general attitude that people ignore them. His leading questions and one-sided points of view are really tiresome. If he were occasionally positive it would be a relief for all concerned and we might take him more seriously.

He does make some reasonable points, but they are so obscured by his general attitude that people ignore them.

Their problem, not mine.

If he were occasionally positive it would be a relief for all concerned and we might take him more seriously.

1. Its a myth to say I am never positive. However, bandwagon jumping is so much easier, isnt it ?

2. It speaks volumes for those of you who feel compelled to abuse my every word just because it comes from me, despite any validity it may have.

Sue,

If he is the little boy who cried wolf, who would you liken everyone's current favourite wind up poster on here to?

Hmm. Difficult one. Don't know who you mean for starters ::) If I've guessed who I think you mean correctly... welll. Shrek is bit too much of a sympathetic character, and intelligent, to boot. Um.. a bit like TCWTB: obsessed with his footie team, but a bit backward socially. Are we talking about the same person?

Nicola is, or has been, in Switzerland with the squad and he and Pards will be more aware of our currrent strengths and weaknesses and where we need to strengthen. We know enough about both of them now to know that they don't rush or pre-publicise decisions (which is why we are kept in the dark) and like to get things right. They will be watching to see who is gonna make this years team and who isn't up to standard like the older players possibly, which could significantly affect decisions. Together they haven't done badly so far. It may well be that the quality that we need is not easy to come by and that targets have gone elsewhere to higher league clubs, like Simeon to Norwich. We are choosy but we a league 1 outfit after all. I'm sure that we will get the men we need but it is pretty competitive out there. I wish we had a signing like Danns. But chill out folks. Better to sign the best guys later, even if loans, than lesser players early.

Saints Fan cam

yes Alpine deserve the abuse. he is never happy unless he is moaning at something to do with saints, he is one of lifes victims and wants to wallow in self pity and tries to drag fellow fans down with him

Last season he moaned , the season before that and the one before that. He rarely has a good word or objectve comment to make. Look at the title of this thread. We are still at the beginning of the pre season training

and already he is on his crusade to undermine the club. We have a very good squad. the ones who have left had no place in the squad. yes I would like to see papa and anntonio back but other than that the others that left were not really in the first team reckoning

Im sure we may sign one or two more players but what is more important our main assets are not leaving. Something you fail to allude to Mr Grumpy!

In Aan pardew , Nicole cortose and Marcus we believe in

Normally I only make critical posts about bigots, but Alpine; I'm really not being abusive here, but you strike me as incredibly obtuse. I've never jumped on any soddin bandwagon, whatever that means, but really:

"1. Its a myth to say I am never positive. However, bandwagon jumping is so much easier, isnt it ?

2. It speaks volumes for those of you who feel compelled to abuse my every word just because it comes from me, despite any validity it may have. "

I'm really not obsessed enough to go and gather evidence (DBP might..) but I'm the mildest sort of person you could meet. I don't take kindly to DBP/SRS's posts because: well, do I need to expand? But you, you really have this blind spot about how you are perceived. Have you really never considered why? Frankly "it speaks volumes" that you think everybody is marching out of step except yourself.. People don't abuse you, although their impatience may occasionally be expressed, but people don't abuse your "every word". And if they did, have you never considered why it's more than the odd individual? Maybe you love being the oppressed individual, but I think it's you that is the problem, and not the rest of us forum banterers. All in agreement say AYE!

We have made what appears to be 2 good signings - 1 in a position we were not exactly weak in, but we still need CM, CF and wide player at least.

I would like to see signings completed by now to bed in but its a tough market. slightly concerned but still confident we will still do a few deals.

I would be delighted to sign both Papa and antonio, especially antonio but the trail appears to have gone cold.

I think this is just the type of fred the club have been waiting for!! Remember this one that started a while ago,

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?23663-Concerned Within hours Connolly was confirmed as staying and Fazer Richardson was wheeled out ;)

Don't expect such a quick response this time with the team and NC being away in Switzerland, but Im sure (well at least hoping) that there are several lines of inquiries that will come to fruition soon, when they all get back home.

LOL ... quick someone start another fred along the same lines, who knows what else they've got up their sleeve :lol:

The problem with adding new players too late is we get the "gelling" excuse again. :(

The gelling excuse only applies when a team needs to sign lots of players for the starting line-up because the existing starters are a load of shi*e. That doesn't apply this season, we need quality additions to the squad, so there's a lot less of a need for gelling.

Alpine, I've nothing against you, but you're a scaremongerer of the highest order.

We'll be fine, the core of the squad is there, so I'm not too worried about "gelling".

If we can go into the first game of the season having signed a central midfielder, right winger and striker (and backup keeper if Bart definitely fooks off, have seen Forecast play for the ressies and he scares the $h!te out of me), I'll be happy. Even if we only get 1 or 2 out of the 3, I still won't be too worried.

Given that they know we have substantial cash, some of our target's clubs may be playing hardball, not every team have their squad finalised by mid-July FFS, tell me a club who has? At the moment I'd be more worried if I was a Liverpool or an Arsenal fan (yes, completely different level of football, but you get my point) with the amount of gaps they have to plug between now and the season openers.

Cease and desist with all the scary bull$h!t, it's tedious.

I'm quite happy with what we've got tbh.

The only area I think we could do with strengthening is CM, I'd love to see Danns or someone similar in that role.

Don't forget we already have a very decent team so we are not going to be buying any old tom, **** or harry. We'll be looking for quality additions and they can afford to be choosy so we all need to be patient.

I'd rather wait longer for quality than buy instant mediocrity.

I agree that our first XI is competitive (but not outstanding, it all falls flat if Schneiderlin has a bad hair day, is suspended or injured), but why you think no cover is OK when it takes 3 seconds to break a leg or snap a cruciate ligament, I will never know.

Do Sheffield Wednesday or Huddersfield or any other team have cover in all departments? Is it only Saints who will suffer a possible broken leg or cruciate ligament? Has the season started yet? Has the transfer window closed yet? Has the loan window closed yet? You really are a moaner of the highest order :yawn:

Personally I think we still need 2 or 3 more additions to get the squad upto full strength, but an attack minded CM should indeed be the priority now.

As others have said, either Waigo or Antonio coming back would solve the weakness at RM and up front in one go.

don't think anyone would argue that starting 11 of (I know you can debate who makes 11) KD, Richardson, Fonte, Jaidi, Harding, Puncheon, Morgan, Hammond, Lallana, Connolly and Lambert is probably just about the best in the division in all positions.

I wonder who could put a second 11 anywhere near this (probably better that the 1st 11 for a lot of teams?)

Forecast/Bart, Butterfield, Martin, Seaborne, Dixon, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gobbern (is he still here??), Wooton, Holmes, Barnard, ???

Seaborne was a regular in this division before we signed him.

We will never need to play that team, as players like Lallana could play upfront, Puncheon in CM, Butterfield CM etc.

Being brutally honest, I would be very happy and confident going into the season with this squad. But think they haven't finished yet....

We need to sign Antonio really, then I would be happy.

He has been involved in both of readings pre season friendlies so far. He came off the bench for the first one against Farnborough. In the second game on tour in Slovenia he started against Red Star Belgrade but was substituted after 25 minutes with a groin injury.

He would not be on tour unless he was in Readings first team plans so as much as I would love to be wrong I think this deal is dead.

He has been involved in both of readings pre season friendlies so far. He came off the bench for the first one against Farnborough. In the second game on tour in Slovenia he started against Red Star Belgrade but was substituted after 25 minutes with a groin injury.

He would not be on tour unless he was in Readings first team plans so as much as I would love to be wrong I think this deal is dead.

Not necessarily; I agree it's more likely than not that Reading plan on using Antonio, but they also could just be using pre-season to have a look at him before deciding if he fits in with their plans. They probably know that we will take him on if they decide against him so there's no harm from their point of view in having a look at him in action with their first team and making a decision from there.

It's looking unlikely I'll admit, but perhaps not an entirely dead deal.

Well people seem to think Lambert and Lallana are off, despite them being on tour with us.

Porquoi ?

Where is the CM that everyone knows we are still missing ?

While I still think we will sign another CM.....

"Daniel Paul "Danny" Butterfield is an English footballer who joined Southampton on 16 July 2010, having previously played for Crystal Palace in the Championship. He was primarily utilised as a right back. However, Danny originally started out as a central midfielder for Palace and has been known to play on the right of midfield as well."

Whilst hoping we continue to add quality, I can't see Pardew looking at any of our positions in starting 11 and saying that we need to improve.

Might add weight to Butterfield/Puncheon/Lallana being back up to CM rather than seeking start CM

S-Clarke, heres my thinking why we need "a few more players"

Centre backs......Fonte and Jaidi first choice but Seaborne and Martin are at absolute best average League One. Think Martin will be good though but isnt yet. So, ONE CENTRE-BACK required as good as F&J

Right Back....only Richardson available...Harding could do the odd game but not a long stint...ONE RIGHT BACK

Centre Mid.....Hammond and Morgan are good but IMHO we need a tough tackling ball winner...Wotton is not that...ok as fourth/fifth choice. No one else in the squad. ONE CENTRE MID

Striker.....Pardew is on record as saying we need someone similar to Lambert. OX-Cham will I suspect be used more up the right. Connolly it could be argued is injury prone! ONE STRIKER Goalkeeper....Without Bart we only have Forecast...I honestly cant comment on his ability so we maybe need another GK

So I reckon we need at least 3 quality signings and maybe a gk and maybe a right winger.

potentially that is 7 signings over the summer.

Has Barnard left us or am I missing something?

Whilst hoping we continue to add quality, I can't see Pardew looking at any of our positions in starting 11 and saying that we need to improve.

Might add weight to Butterfield/Puncheon/Lallana being back up to CM rather than seeking start CM

I'd prefer us to sign a new CM for competition and backup; someone like Danns would really set us up for the season and give us a whole new dimension of options. Last year we had Schneiderlin, Hammond, Wotton, James and Puncheon for the CM spots. This year we've binned James but gained Butterfield, so we're as strong as we were when we finished the season. A marquee CM signing would make us even stronger than last term, which is a pretty impressive place to be.

The one area I think we're still short is an impact player, like Antonio. But it's so good to see that our core 11 is already in place, plus almost all of our backup side. And I'm very confident that AP has got it in hand to bring in the missing pieces to the jigsaw.

The squad we have now is already very, very good for this level. Any more additions (and I think there will be at least 2 more) will be a bonus.

I'd prefer us to sign a new CM for competition and backup; someone like Danns would really set us up for the season and give us a whole new dimension of options. Last year we had Schneiderlin, Hammond, Wotton, James and Puncheon for the CM spots. This year we've binned James but gained Butterfield, so we're as strong as we were when we finished the season. A marquee CM signing would make us even stronger than last term, which is a pretty impressive place to be.

The one area I think we're still short is an impact player, like Antonio. But it's so good to see that our core 11 is already in place, plus almost all of our backup side. And I'm very confident that AP has got it in hand to bring in the missing pieces to the jigsaw.

The squad we have now is already very, very good for this level. Any more additions (and I think there will be at least 2 more) will be a bonus.

agree with all of that.