Brutally honest, forget its me posting this - who is disappointed in our transfers ?

alpine_saint

What we do not know is who we are talking to at present. Players for teams have only been back a short while. To deal with approach, permission, negotiation, agreement, signing takes time, particularly if you want the right type of player.

This is all reasonable, but a lot of us said the same thing after the play off season (although it appears that the club is in a totally different situation now).

Remember also that we have a pretty good first team now. That means anyone coming in will likely be for cover only. You are going to find it difficult getting L1 quality if they are not going to go straight into the team. I suspect our signings will be later than anticipated because of this. Players will look at all options before committing to a particular contract or club.

I'm not sure I agree that we will be signing people for cover only - we definitely need a central midfielder who is at least as good as Hammond and I feel that Pardew will be merciless if an opportunity comes along so sign someone who is better than even one of our 'star' players. Edited by jam
tweaking

The pre-season tour is almost over, we have made one critical signing, a RB.

Other areas of the team do not have enough strength-in-depth for a 50-match promotion campaign.

We dont even have a decent second GK at the moment, FFS.

If some of you are still not worried, you SHOULD BE.

A very valid post IMHO

Pardew has known from day one that the situations re Waigo and Antonio were paramount, yet, apparently nothing has been done

Like wise re Bart. If Forecast is our No 2, then you can say goodbye to a lot of points when he plays

I know Cortese has total blackout until deals are finalised, but deals SHOULD have been done before now. At this stage, all of the GOOD Buys have been snapped up

Pardew said buys would be bought early. Perhaps Cortese's Wonderful Club does not look so wonderful after all from prospective signings point of view

Well Alpine did say 'disappointed' in the thread title,and I have to say I am disappointed we haven't signed Antonio, especially since Pardew said as the season ended that we were talking to Reading, which I at least took to mean we were signing him.

Beyond that, the main thing was to keep our star players which we've done. Not quite sure why we signed a LB when we already have such a good one and am relieved we finally signed a RB.

Overall nothing exciting, which I suppose is disapppointing in itself, but one new genuine first team attacking player signed in the near future would change that.

K.

It is still not certain that we are not going to sign him. I suspect that Reading have priced him higher than we are willing to pay and if we are going to sign him it will be a last minute "who blinks first". On the other hand they may have overpriced hime and we just walked away. I'm not ITK

Will be disappointed if 2 more signings not made before 7th August. Will be down right worried if no more before end of transfer window but until then no I'm not too concerned.

Need CM and backup for RL, and a decent backup GK if Bart has gone (not sure at the mo that he has or not).

We have the starting XI + subs ready for opening match(es). Of course we need more cover, 21 man squad (number in CH) is not enough to last until Xmas. I would become concerned if any serious injury before 7th August, or if one or more of our current squad decides to leave. We still have ample opportunity to bring players in and I'm confident it will happen. The situation is so different to last season when AP basically had to build a new team, one or two to strengthen and one or two for squad is what we need this season.

Very disappointed. We've not replaced Antonio or Waigo who both contributed well last season.

There was disappointment when we didn't replace Chivers many years ago but we weren't then aware that we already had a replacement in Channon. Perhaps it's the same scenario with Oxlade-Chamberlain?

A very valid post IMHO

Pardew has known from day one that the situations re Waigo and Antonio were paramount, yet, apparently nothing has been done

Like wise re Bart. If Forecast is our No 2, then you can say goodbye to a lot of points when he plays

I know Cortese has total blackout until deals are finalised, but deals SHOULD have been done before now. At this stage, all of the GOOD Buys have been snapped up

Pardew said buys would be bought early. Perhaps Cortese's Wonderful Club does not look so wonderful after all from prospective signings point of view

I wouldn't say they were paramount - they didn't play in some good performances, nor can we say nothing has been done - in fact we know negotiations have taken place

I think everyone just needs to chill.

We have a 'team' that is good enough to win the league. No doubt whatsoever about that. We also have decent cover in a few positions (Connolly/Barnard; Martin/Jaidi/Seaborne; Harding/Dickson).

I'm not as optimistic as you. Although our first eleven can beat anyone in this league on a given day, it is going to be a long hard slog and I do worry that we lack depth - especially in central midfield, where it is critical to have a high-motor engine on a wet and windy night up North on a ploughed field.

I'm hopeful that without any new signings we will be there or there about at Christmas and that key strengthening may be done in the January window.

we definitely need a central midfielder who is at least as good as Hammond

Hammond is our captain, Pardew obviously rates him. If we were to bring in someone else, it would probably be as cover. I've got a feeling that Pardew is fairly happy with central midfield. First choice of Hammond and Morgan, with Wotton/Lallana/Puncheon able to step in here and there.

I feel we certainly need cover in a few positions....GK (assuming Bart isn't staying), RB, CM and CF need some cover, but I trust Pardew to only buy to improve the squad and if he thinks some of the younger players have made made that leap forward, and some of our injured players are fully recovered (Holmes and Connelly in particular) then I am happy to trust in his judgement. Unlike some, I also think a couple of loan signings might be the answer and I also feel sure there is a lot of hard work going on in the background to strengthen. It's all well and good building a team for the Championship, but the number one priority is to get OUT of L1!!!

Like most, I'm frustrated we've not brought in more, I must say. However, I'm hopeful things might pick up when the lads return from Switzerland, as I'm hoping AP is using the trip as a means to see who (of the fringe players) is going to play a proper part for us this season and where we need to supplement if not. For instance, if Lee Holmes is fit and in decent form, would that mean we'd look to replace only 1 of Papa or Antonio rather than both?

worried - not yet

let down - a tad...thought we would have had most, if not all transfers done and dusted by now..

we clearly need another CM who is good enough to hold down a first team place to create real competition in that are...we also clearly need another wide forward with real pace...

we have a superb league 1 first XI....after that...pretty average IMO

Are we not just going to be looking for players who will cover positions already filled by first teamers? I believe AP stated that he wanted cover for Rickie Lambert and if Bart goes we need cover for Kelvin. The first team is 'there' IMO we just need to fill 2 or 3 cover posts. I doubt they'll be big names but loans, lads from the Youth team/fringe first-teamers or frees. I also believe they may come in closer to August 7th.

Are we not just going to be looking for players who will cover positions already filled by first teamers? I believe AP stated that he wanted cover for Rickie Lambert and if Bart goes we need cover for Kelvin. The first team is 'there' IMO we just need to fill 2 or 3 cover posts. I doubt they'll be big names but loans, lads from the Youth team/fringe first-teamers or frees. I also believe they may come in closer to August 7th.

Exactly. There is no problem at all with the first 11.

We have little competition in centre midfield. I'm sure we will address that but it really isn't urgent at all.

We have little cover for Lambert. I'm sure we will address that but it really isn't urgent at all.

We don't have a decent second goalie (FFS). I'm sure we will address that but it really isn't urgent at all.

this squad is definitely good enough to win this league - whether it will who knows???

Think its hard not knowing what plans AP has for using likes of Puncheon, Lallana, Holmes, Ox-C, and Dickson in different places in midfield.

I am not sure about keeper but other than that there is no position I think we would be really struggling if 1st choice was out for a few games.

My judgement comes from what AP himself said just before the end of the season, which went something like: We are going to assemble a team for next season which will not only get promoted, but will be competitive in the CCC! There was the talk of a player to back up Lambert, and he has also, quite rightly, stated that he got players in far too late last season, who hadn't gone through pre-season with the team.

I also judge from the fact that from the regularly playing squad we have lost two valuable wide players. Our centre midfield hasn't got the back-up we need (and we are all agreed on that). Now it appears that we haven't got a reliable second keeper either.

This leaves us very much with a squad that is weaker than last year, and we didn't walk it, however we excuse it.

The deafening silence from SMS is worrying me, as is, that with AP and the squad in Switzerland, NC has taken himself over there as well to spend some time with the squad in the mountains? Is bonding with the players the best use of his time?

I think that Alps may be a little loud about his worries, but unless your blind, deaf, or believe in father Christmas, elves and fairies, there is certainly some solid reason not to be ridiculously confident.

Well...if I had only seen "who is disappointed in our transfers ?" I'd have made a correct guess as to who wrote it...

On the replacement for Ant and Papa from what I saw at Thun I'd say Alex OC could step up to the mark, again on the basis of coming on as sub. Worried about his youth and the fact that he probably hasn't finished growing yet but I have every confidence in the backroom staff on that aspect. I'd hate to be a tiring full back with that pace coming on against me, I can tell you!

As has been pointed out the problem for the other positions is balancing between recruiting a good enough player and not being able to guarantee them a place. In my report about the Thun match I was maybe a little unfair on McNish, for example, and against most L1 teams he'd be OK and perhaps there are other players who may also step up to the mark. I think I'd prefer Martin to Jaidi from what I saw but maybe on a heavy pitch against a brute CF the latter would be the one to choose.

I'd rather wait and not be disappointed in who we signed than have signings already who are disappointing.

16 Jul 2010 09:22:16

Southampton are also apparently keen on signing former Wycombe keeper Scott Shearer on a one year contract, proably as back–up to Kelvin Davis. Shearer is a free agent after being released by Wycombe on July 1st 2010.

Snippet from Football Rumours site which could mean our GK cover issues are about to be resolved (IF true).

Ask this question when the transfer window shuts. History shows most transfers are done in august.

The squad we have now is good enough to get promoted. We need a few cover players. Were not going to be signing Ronaldo as cover are we....

Seriously if this forum continues to be this negative then what's the point being here. We are supposed to be supporters. All i see is whiners looking for their daily moan. Enough is enough for christ sake.

Just another thought. I can't help thinking that we should be a very attractive destination for loan players. Decent stadium, manager, pitch, crowds, team colleagues, training set-up, back-room staff and even some interesting continental games if they end up playing occasionally for our reserves: the only thing we couldn't guarantee is a minimum number of appearances. The loaning teams are still sorting out their own squads so availability won't be known until later, but there could be some interesting players available.

I'm surprised at the moment because I have seen some teams around us snap up plenty of good players.

Huddersfield & Weds have done very well.

I'm still hoping for Stock & a target man (to sit on the bench no doubt, that's why we are struggling to get one IMHO as they want first team footy)

Also I believe AP will bring in another defender with a midfield leader that will have us jumping for joy.

Problem is I want this team to hit the Plymouth game running and not a situation where AP will be wondering what is his strong team.

Even if the Spanish world cup side turned out for us against Plymouth I still wouldn't put any money on Saints winning a first match of any season.

Exactly. There is no problem at all with the first 11.

We have little competition in centre midfield. I'm sure we will address that but it really isn't urgent at all.

We have little cover for Lambert. I'm sure we will address that but it really isn't urgent at all.

We don't have a decent second goalie (FFS). I'm sure we will address that but it really isn't urgent at all.

Yeah, I'd go with that summary but would add one crucial element - a forward player with express pace (Dickson and Puncheon can provide good changes of pace from wide positions) which I'm fairly sure is why we were in the hunt for Jackson. I'm sure this search is ongoing although I suspect that this player and the mythical CM to compete with Dean and Morgan will be loan players as it would be difficult to attract say a £750k player at this level if they were not an automatic pick in the first XI. I think we do need a CM as Wotton wouldn't get in the Eastleigh side. Oxlade-Chamberlain might be the impact player that stretches teams after an hour has gone in games. Plus Weston has a point, Hudds and Weds have been signing frees which is a lot quicker as a process than if you are buying players under contract elsewhere that the seller really wishes to retain and knows the buyer has cash available.

Simon Francis would be a free signing that we should be making, he can cover RB and right-sided CB, that means we can ease Martin into professional football and Seaborne covers left-sided CB.

I still think we'll win the league but it will be close as it stands between us, Hudds and Weds. Hudds have invested a lot more than I had thought they would but I think we'll beat Weds on quality if we avoid major injuries - they have signed some very good frees but also dross like Ostemobor. The likes of Lallana got a lot of goals from midfield last year don't forget and God knows what he'd cost if Weds or Hudds had to buy him.

I'm more worried about Liebherr or Cortese logging on here and seeing how ungrateful a lot of people on this site are, and pulling out completely.

I think this is just the type of fred the club have been waiting for!! Remember this one that started a while ago,

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?23663-Concerned Within hours Connolly was confirmed as staying and Fazer Richardson was wheeled out ;)

Don't expect such a quick response this time with the team and NC being away in Switzerland, but Im sure (well at least hoping) that there are several lines of inquiries that will come to fruition soon, when they all get back home.

Disappointed yes, worried no.

I'm disappointed that we havn't made one or two big signing's a week since the end of the season but I'm also disappointed that I don't drive an Audi R8, I havn't won the lottery yet, I don't get woken up by a blow job every morning or that I can't get into 32inch trousers.

There's plenty of time yet.

I'm dissapointed we didn't get Adomah (briostol City) and Dawson (Leyton Oreient) on frees, and also that Reading tied Antonio up on another year contract as was their right, but very pleased with the Dickson signing and hopeful that Richardson will be an improvement on Semi. I will only be worried if we haven't signed a central midfielder by the end of the window. 6 weeks is a long time. Beyond that the loan market helped us greatly last season and it will do so again. Challenging for the title might help attract an event better class of player as well, with perhaps a premiership youngster at a stretch.

If I'm honest then yes, I am a bit disappointed so far. I know it takes time and attracting quality players to a div 1 club can't be easy but I had hoped we could get our targets in early so they had a decent pre-season. There's still time of course but like any football fan I want it now.

I think up front we're only really looking for cover. We do need to replace the pace of Waigo and Antonio though.

It's midfield that I'd be properly concerned about. Hammond and Schneiderlin are fine but if we have injuries and suspensions then I think we struggle. Next season we'll have a lot of teams who will be more defensive and want to kick lumps out of us and we need to counter that. It's fine having the best strikeforce and attacking flair but we need to give them the ball. I think we need a proper tough nut in midfield who will win those battles and put us firmly in the driving seat - someone who will push us on. Not a box to box player (we have enough midfielders who can chip in with goals). Well that's the job description but as to who could do the role? I don't know. Maybe Carsley if his legs haven't gone and he doesn't get too many injuries? I think this is the one area we could do with a bit of a marquee signing - maybe not as grand as signing Lambert but certainly someone who could get us excited.

We'll need cover for Davis as well if Bart doesn't return.

So, yes, I'm a bit disappointed - I think we'll address the problems and I think we'll still be OK if we didn't sign anyone else but would be nice to have a few more in by this stage.

Disappointed yes, worried no.

I'm disappointed that we havn't made one or two big signing's a week since the end of the season but I'm also disappointed that I don't drive an Audi R8, I havn't won the lottery yet, I don't get woken up by a blow job every morning or that I can't get into 32inch trousers.

There's plenty of time yet.

Plenty of time for which of these? Or did you mean all of them?

K.

It's far too early for this thread, my heart is disappointed that we haven't signed more players yet but my head says that Pardew plugged the one obvious gapping hole at right back and then took the players out for the pre-season tour to assess/confirm where else he wanted to get players in.

Tricky one this Alps.

Most people would agree the 1st 11 is pretty much set and good enough to win the league.

Davis

Richardson, Fonte, Jaidi, Dickson

Puncheon, Hammond, Schneiderlin, Lallana

Barnard, Lambert

With real quality backup in Connelly & Harding.

I think AP does think AOC is ready to step up and probably sees him as the pace from the bench option. We have good enough cover at centre defence and hopefully Murty could prove his fitness.

Where we really need an addition is in CM, where if the two top guys are out we are stuffed. Obviously Wotton is not up to it and Punch or Lallana IMO don't give us what we need.

Also I think we do need someone who is similar to RL as a backup.

I'll be happy if we sign those 2 positions before the transfer window shuts (I dont think we need them by the beginning of the season, because as I said the first 11 is good enough). Will be a bit disappointed though if we don't do anything though.

St Richmond said

'but deals SHOULD have been done before now. At this stage, all of the GOOD Buys have been snapped up'

With respect this is total nonsense...at what stage did you know that any of our signings were about to be snapped up by someone else?

The emphasis is on quality....we don't go 'Arry blabbing about targets any more - a lot of the players we've signed haven't even been overtly for sale.

Some trust in the way things have happened & are happening with this aspect of the club will go a long way to making the negative posters & the foretellers of doom plus those with ridiculous anti-Cortese agendas day to day lives a whole lot happier....try it?

Our team is perfectly good enough to start the season.

I have always said that I expected us to sign 2 or 3 players before the start of the season, and I expect another 2 or 3 loanees or signings before the end of August. I still stick by that.

I'm not at all worried by a lack of reserve keeper, given that there is clearly dispensation to bring in an emergency keeper at any time during the season. With Aaron Martin having played RB for a few minutes it may suggest that he can do a reserve job a la Wayne Thomas, if required. I think we're definitely missing another strong CM for the season (which I'm sure we'llo get), I still remain hopeful of signing Antonio, and think we might sign a Lambert backup but if not I still think Barnard and Connolly give us plenty of options. So I'm still not sure why Mr over-reaction thinks I should be worried.

Our team is perfectly good enough to start the season.

I have always said that I expected us to sign 2 or 3 players before the start of the season, and I expect another 2 or 3 loanees or signings before the end of August. I still stick by that.

I'm not at all worried by a lack of reserve keeper, given that there is clearly dispensation to bring in an emergency keeper at any time during the season. With Aaron Martin having played RB for a few minutes it may suggest that he can do a reserve job a la Wayne Thomas, if required. I think we're definitely missing another strong CM for the season (which I'm sure we'llo get), I still remain hopeful of signing Antonio, and think we might sign a Lambert backup but if not I still think Barnard and Connolly give us plenty of options. So I'm still not sure why Mr over-reaction thinks I should be worried.

I'm not he has been taken on the pre season tour by Reading when several more experinced players weren't I think his future will be there not here with us. I'm pretty sure we've seen the last of Papa too we need some pace and some impact from the bench so these two need replacing asap IMO or we will struggle.

Edited by doddisalegend

The pre-season tour is almost over, we have made one critical signing, a RB.

Other areas of the team do not have enough strength-in-depth for a 50-match promotion campaign.

We dont even have a decent second GK at the moment, FFS.

If some of you are still not worried, you SHOULD BE.

You are a hysterical attention seeking tart.