Brutally honest, forget its me posting this - who is disappointed in our transfers ?

alpine_saint

I'm not sure why we need a CM so desperately now. Hammond / Schneiderlin are more than good enough.

By all accounts Lallana, Puncheon, Butterfield, Wotton could play if necessary down the middle in the odd game. Up front we have 3 very good forwards so could even do a 4-3-3 if it came to it in some games. A top drawer CM would be nice but it will not be a reason for failure to now get promoted with the squad that we have available.

even if we sign no-one else I would definitely expect to get promoted. I don't care whether 1st or 2nd either. Would even take a play-off victory.

Porquoi ?

Where is the CM that everyone knows we are still missing ?

Your reaction to the transfer window is very similar to the way you react during the match threads. If we're 1 down after 10 minutes you react as if it's the end of the world, 'same old sh*t'...etc. Never mind the fact that there's 80 minutes left. Stop panicing, we've got a proper set-up at the club, probably the best for a long time. Chances are they know what they're doing. Calm the hell down!

I'm not sure why we need a CM so desperately now. Hammond / Schneiderlin are more than good enough.

By all accounts Lallana, Puncheon, Butterfield, Wotton could play if necessary down the middle in the odd game. Up front we have 3 very good forwards so could even do a 4-3-3 if it came to it in some games. A top drawer CM would be nice but it will not be a reason for failure to now get promoted with the squad that we have available.

even if we sign no-one else I would definitely expect to get promoted. I don't care whether 1st or 2nd either. Would even take a play-off victory.

I disagree with that. To win this league we need another CM, perhaps someone better than Hammond, not just a sub. Having said that, Gobern could make the step up, but only Pardew knows that.

I went to the link; a truly humbling experience, and I will participate.

But it was a bit of a low blow from you to mix the two issues, to be honest.

It was more of an attempt to provoke someone, anyone into responding. So far only you have so thank you, truly. That said I won't apologise for "promoting" such a worthy cause though sorry you were the one whose post I happened to be reading when the idea came to mind :)

Wednesday have brought in some great signings so by that token maybe we are being left behind a bit. Still, been reading through owlstalk and they all seem to think they're going to destroy us this season O.o Would have thought our current squad would command a little respect at least.

Wednesday have brought in some great signings so by that token maybe we are being left behind a bit. Still, been reading through owlstalk and they all seem to think they're going to destroy us this season O.o Would have thought our current squad would command a little respect at least.
Yeah Sheff Wed will walk this league.... losing one nil away at Grimsby at the mo though :) Think Irvine is a good manager but he's brought a lot of new faces in and they will take time to gel methinks.

Who would they be then, serious question as I have only heard of one.

Who would they be then, serious question as I have only heard of one.

Gary Teale, Otsembor :D (ok, not those 2.) Chris Sedgwick, Clinton Morrison, Paul Heffernan, Neil Mellor, Giles Coke and Daniel Jones. I think that's it? Happy to be corrected if there's anyone else.

The squad is now pretty much in place.

We do need a CM...ideally one who makes it straight into the first team.

If we were to get Antonio and/or Waigo (or someone similar), we're basically there. If we get just a winger, we need an additional CF.

A marquee signing would be great, but not necessary and I'm not holding my breath.

Would love to see the squad strengthened enormously more, of course, but am very, very happy with progress in the transfer market so far.

Gary Teale, Otsembor :D (ok, not those 2.) Chris Sedgwick, Clinton Morrison, Paul Heffernan, Neil Mellor, Giles Coke and Daniel Jones. I think that's it? Happy to be corrected if there's anyone else.
These signing by Sheff Wed don't look very impressive, in fact several are past their sell-by dates and a couple have failed to impress elsewhere. I'd rather have our 3 transfers than any of the Wednesday names and we may have a couple more to come yet.

Well I'm glad that they have signed the likes of Otsembor, he was truly sh1te so what does that say about the rest :)

I think people are ignoring the fact that a few players we've tried to sign have gone to clubs in the NPC - Adomah, Bailey and Jackson for eample. And others have so far refused to drop down a league - Stock and Danns. It also looks like Reading want to keep Antonio or simply want too much money for him.

We still lack the pace we need so much - and despera need another forward, a winger and that midfield general!

Sheff Wed have a great squad for League 1 and will be among the favourites for promotion. As will we but at the moment we have a weaker squad than at the end of last season - all we've added is a left back and two right backs - of which the best signing is now crocked! Antonio and Waigo still need to be replaced if nothing else.

Let's no forget about Plymouth, Peterborough, Swindon and Huddersfield!

We have to make sure we finish in the top two - the play-offs are a lottery we can't afford to take a risk on.

find it strange that people say we are "desperate" for players when this team would have got us automatic promotion last season if we had them in August and no -10 imho.

Think the starting XI is fine, but there are a couple of area's on work on. Papa Waigo & Antonio did provide something different from the bench last season so they need to be replaced - from what I've seen so far Alex O-C will be one who can provide something different & I expect him to be used more frequently this season, certainly pardew seems to be impressed with the lad, so maybe one other potential loan signing in this area. The other area is cover for Morgan & Hammond, we are a different side & certainly not as effective without Morgan, but I cannot see us getting a straight back-up of sufficient quality for him. That said Wotten is not good enough as back up so needs a signing/loanee in this area.

So we need a couple in at some point but we're not desperate. It can even be after the seasons starts for me - getting the right players (signings or loans) is more important than getting any old player in quickly.

Alpine Saint in negative post shocker.

It is mid July. A few weeks back you were bleating that we hadn't signed anybody and within a day we had. If the right players are available and Cortese sign the cheques I am sure more will come in.

You sound like a man who has bet his mortgage on us coming no lower than 2nd, LOL.

What does concern me though is that these are the type of signings we would have made a few years back. For someone so desperate for promotion I don't see Cortese splashing the cash - just solid signings, not spectacular. We do need a class goalscoring midfielder and they don't come cheap.

Alpine Saint in negative post shocker.

It is mid July. A few weeks back you were bleating that we hadn't signed anybody and within a day we had. If the right players are available and Cortese sign the cheques I am sure more will come in.

You sound like a man who has bet his mortgage on us coming no lower than 2nd, LOL.

What does concern me though is that these are the type of signings we would have made a few years back. For someone so desperate for promotion I don't see Cortese splashing the cash - just solid signings, not spectacular. We do need a class goalscoring midfielder and they don't come cheap.

That didn't exactly work out with Skacel though did it. When he signed everyone got over excited and expectations went through the roof. Then when he struggled to find form and fitness after a lack of preseason training everyone was on his back, Burley dropped him and the team got unbalanced.

These signings remind me of summer '02. We only signed Niemi and Killer, but they were good solid, unspectacular players and suddenly we had the best defence outside the Prem top 4 and only lost 2 home games all season. We don't need another Lambert/Skacel/Phillips type big name turning up. Right now I'd be delighted if we signed Antonio, Danns and nobody else (with new contracts for Bart and DC).

Negative ? I would have said after the Richardson news, more like prophetic....

All your prophecies are of doom. You might get the odd one right, but that means very little when you don't admit to all the times your misery-laden forecasts turned out to be Bollo*ks. The day you start predicting positive outcomes correctly, you might find you get less negative attention on here.

I'd prefer us to sign a new CM for competition and backup; someone like Danns would really set us up for the season and give us a whole new dimension of options. Last year we had Schneiderlin, Hammond, Wotton, James and Puncheon for the CM spots. This year we've binned James but gained Butterfield, so we're as strong as we were when we finished the season. A marquee CM signing would make us even stronger than last term, which is a pretty impressive place to be.

The one area I think we're still short is an impact player, like Antonio. But it's so good to see that our core 11 is already in place, plus almost all of our backup side. And I'm very confident that AP has got it in hand to bring in the missing pieces to the jigsaw.

The squad we have now is already very, very good for this level. Any more additions (and I think there will be at least 2 more) will be a bonus.

We have a pronounced weakness in midfield, when we have to play 2 games a week, that has not changed. Danns would be an excellent signing, but we have to be patient. He never wanted to drop down a league last year, even though all the finances were acceptable. We could afford to go out and buy any player in League 1 and unlike other leagues, expect the club to sell. The trouble is that we are aiming higher and in some cases that means having to wait for the quality we want. It's possible we will not solve that problem and loans look the only method of over coming that issue. I expect to see some good signings late on in the window, even after the season has started.

Firstly i am not concerned with signings to date. I like who we've signed and am confident we will continue to strengthen by the start of the season.

As of right now i don't think we are as strong a first 11 as the one that played (towards end of) last season because we've lost Papa and Antonio. This has lost us pace and unpredictability - both vital in breaking down teams who will sit back and defend, as many will especially at St Mary's. Until this is addressed we have a play off team at best in my opinion.

My other concern is CM who I believe we need to strengthen with a first team signing, not a squad one. I've been of that opinion since Christmas. A Lambert type back up has been mentioned too which makes sense. If this is all addressed I believe we have a top 2 squad.

Hopefully people will realise now that we are not being bankrolled and running self-sufficient. ( Nothing wrong with that by the way )

Yep, agree. Realised that a long time ago. And with the football finance bubble about to burst we will be one of the best placed clubs to ride the destructive wave of fallout that will follow.

IMHO of course

Yep, agree. Realised that a long time ago. And with the football finance bubble about to burst we will be one of the best placed clubs to ride the destructive wave of fallout that will follow.

IMHO of course

With possibly the exception of the initial transfers when Liebherr took over, I would be massively surprised if the accounts show a loss last season, and almost certain we won't run at a loss this season.

Personally I hope we are running at break even, but I'm not sure anyone outside the club can be certain if that is the case. Its all about the size of the wages and if we are out bidding champinship clubs for players then you have to wonder.

Personally I hope we are running at break even, but I'm not sure anyone outside the club can be certain if that is the case. Its all about the size of the wages and if we are out bidding champinship clubs for players then you have to wonder.

We have a decent sized Championship income/revenue though, certainly top half, so we should be able to outbid Championship teams on wages for some players.

We have a decent sized Championship income/revenue though, certainly top half, so we should be able to outbid Championship teams on wages for some players.
Stu, how much revenue do you think Saints earned last season from football and ancilliary events? I am betting net of vat it is not likely to be more than 7 million. What do you think expenditure was over that period when you take into account salaries, running costs and net transfer/agents fees? I am betting it will be a lot lot more than income.

The club is building and you have to invest money prudently to do so. That will be money over and above income until the promised PL is reached and our academy produces more players.

Stu, how much revenue do you think Saints earned last season from football and ancilliary events? I am betting net of vat it is not likely to be more than 7 million. What do you think expenditure was over that period when you take into account salaries, running costs and net transfer/agents fees? I am betting it will be a lot lot more than income.

The club is building and you have to invest money prudently to do so. That will be money over and above income until the promised PL is reached and our academy produces more players.

Gross guesses...

22k taking an average ticket price of £15 to allow for child/season tickets etc = £7.5m

Sell-out v MK Dons JPT = £500k

Gate Reciepts from JPT Final = £500k

TV Revenue = £500k

P*mpey game = £300k

Booking Fee for Wembley = £132k ( was it for every ticket? )

Profit from Wembley Coaches = £50k

Merchandise £???

Corporate Hospitality £???

Sponsorship £???

Events £???

Concourse Revenue £???

Who knows how much they made, I am speculating, but I honestly don't think there has been significant investment apart from the initial transfer purchases.

Edited by Dave Benson Phillips

We dont yet have that pace and unpredictability we had last year with Waigo and Antonio which at times changed games when we were running out of ideas. I would like to see somebody brought in who would have the same sort of impact that they dideven if just for a Plan B.

I believe that we will bring in 2 or 3 at most new players before the end of the window but may not be by start of season.

I don't think we desperately NEED much more short term, but a big signing to show intent, on the lambert scale, or even the Waigo scale would be good. Another attacking threat, either winger or forward.

What he said, although another central midfielder wouldn't go amiss.

I dont think my nerves could stand that.

No, I cant see it happening either. Playoffs would be such a crushing disappointment, and represent a very poor job by AP. It would also mean we've lost a lot of games, or failed to win a lot. We'd have HUGE pressure knowing we're screwed if we don't win them, most the squad would be leaving, Pardew certainly and who knows about the investment. I can't see us winning playoffs with that pressure. So for me, 2nd is the absolute bare minimum.

If (god forbid) we did finish in the playoffs, then Pardew won't be here to take us into them. He'd have been long gone before that IMO. We've all seen what a short fuse Cortese has...

That's why i agree with you on the 2nd' spot, anything less than that and we could be entering a very dodgy place.

As for players, I think our first 11 is strong, but with a few injuries we could be in the sh!t.

The first 11 is very strong, probably the best in the league but I agree we are in need of one or two more players in case of injuries, for me that.s in CM, another forward would be nice but we do have three and won't ever play three at the same time so we do have cover here so cover for Hammond and Schneiderlin is a must really. Other than that we are fine in all other departments (providing Bart stays :))

I think I read that NC was away and so was surprised we signed any player.I do agree to a degree that if the season starts with the same line up we have now i will be disappointed. We cannot rely on RL to score as many as last season and another mobile ball winning CM would be a top priority IMO.

Watching Damned united last night seeing how Clough and Taylor transformed Derby with some shrewd signings. Whether those type of players are still around Im not sure but having an eye for a talented player in a poor side and buying them certainly worked for them.

Gross guesses...

22k taking an average ticket price of £15 to allow for child/season tickets etc = £7.5m

Sell-out v MK Dons JPT = £500k

Gate Reciepts from JPT Final = £500k

TV Revenue = £500k

P*mpey game = £300k

Booking Fee for Wembley = £132k ( was it for every ticket? )

Profit from Wembley Coaches = £50k

Merchandise £???

Corporate Hospitality £???

Sponsorship £???

Events £???

Concourse Revenue £???

Who knows how much they made, I am speculating, but I honestly don't think there has been significant investment apart from the initial transfer purchases.

Agree 100%, and I've said this constantly over the last year. And I prefer to build like this.

We dont yet have that pace and unpredictability we had last year with Waigo and Antonio which at times changed games when we were running out of ideas. I would like to see somebody brought in who would have the same sort of impact that they dideven if just for a Plan B.

I believe that we will bring in 2 or 3 at most new players before the end of the window but may not be by start of season.

Totally agree although I think Butterfield, Richardson (when fit again) and Dickson will prove excellent buys. We need that raw pace that Antonio/Waigo gave us and I'm sure Pards is on the case. I'd agree withy those on this thread that would like to see another ball-winning CM and a back up to Rickie. Those three if Bart stays should be ample.

I think I read that NC was away and so was surprised we signed any player.I do agree to a degree that if the season starts with the same line up we have now i will be disappointed. We cannot rely on RL to score as many as last season and another mobile ball winning CM would be a top priority IMO.

Watching Damned united last night seeing how Clough and Taylor transformed Derby with some shrewd signings. Whether those type of players are still around Im not sure but having an eye for a talented player in a poor side and buying them certainly worked for them.

We do have Barnard which we didn't have at the start of last season and we do have Connelly who is hopefully recovered from injury fully (I'm sure AP would not of signed him if he was still injured). To me there is 60+ goals in these three players alone. A few from midfield (how many did Lallana get last season, 20 :)) and the likes of Fonte and Harding chipping in with a few means we won't have problems scoring so the pressure will not be all on Lamberts shoulder. The bloke even takes some of the corners so he is confident others will score. Our starting 11 will be one of the strongest in this league, yes we will need another CM and possibly another forward, CM being the priority imo but just as cover as I think what we have is good enough. We do still have three weeks before kick off though so no panic.

Interesting but Waigo didn't start many games and when he came on it didn't change many things. As for Antonio whilst we shall miss him an interesting fact was towards the end of the season he was out injured for seven games or left on the bench and we won five of those and lost two. We scored 18 goals and conceded 6, did we really miss him?

Interesting but Waigo didn't start many games and when he came on it didn't change many things. As for Antonio whilst we shall miss him an interesting fact was towards the end of the season he was out injured for seven games or left on the bench and we won five of those and lost two. We scored 18 goals and conceded 6, did we really miss him?

Waigo often changed the game, teams we were playing went on the defensive side when he came on.

Why won't Rickie score as many? He has for 2 seasons and this time, he'll be in the best XI yet, a far more settled Saints team than last season and one that will finish far higher than Saints last season or Rovers the year before.

He'll be aiming for 30 league goals minimum you can guarantee it.

Very true, although we were lucky he was able to play the amount of minutes he did last season.

Waigo often changed the game, teams we were playing went on the defensive side when he came on.

Err no, most games he came on towards the end when the game was already conclusive but some games when we needed him to change the game, it didn't actually happen. The games he came on earlier he made not much difference. If you think any different that is your opinion but I know what I saw in him.