Brutally honest, forget its me posting this - who is disappointed in our transfers ?

alpine_saint

I remember last season Pardew said he would be using the Summer to build a team that could not only challenge for this league but challenge in The Championship.

Richardson could be a good signing but I wouldn't go as far as saying he is the best RB in the league, those teams of the year things are ********. Dickson could also be a good siging but where does he fit in?

We still lack:

Two strikers - Connolly is not going to last the season. We also need one to replace the pace that Antonio/Papa offered to the side.

A back-up goalkeeper - Assuming Bart is leaving, would be a nightmare if Forecast has to play because Kelv picks up an injury.

A CM - One that can take the game by the neck, for our away games at Exeter etc.

It is slightly worrying to keep seeing names like Chris Lines pop up, he is a average League One player.

We didn't quite make the play-offs last season because we could not kill off teams that we thought inferior.

I do not believe that problem has been addressed;in fact, without A&P I think we will find it harder

Make up your own mind if I am disappointed since it would appear I would upset people were I to say I am.

I'm not has been taken on the pre season tour by Reading when several more experinced players weren't I think his future will be there not here with us. I'm pretty sure we've seen the last of Papa too we need some pace and some impact from the bench so these two need replacing asap IMO or we will struggle.

Really? Well that's disappointing. Doesn't rule it out though, maybe they just want to have another look at him before they decide what to do for the season ahead. They probably know that they can shift him to us if they don't want him, so there's no harm in giving him a chance with the first team.

I only saw AOC once at the back end of the season but, at 16 or 17, he's going to need time and probably won't get an enormous amount of game time. I would think AP would look after his development and not play him in too many games too young. So I agree, if we don't get Antonio we need someone similar.

I think we all know where the squad needs strengthening; but many people have differing views about how significant it is that we haven't made all of signings right now. Personally, if holding on for a while means that we get the very best signings for the summer, then I'm perfectly happy to do that. And absolutely no-one knows what moves AP and NC have been making behind the scenes so they are unworthy of criticism for seemingly "doing nothing".

We didn't quite make the play-offs last season because we could not kill off teams that we thought inferior.

I do not believe that problem has been addressed;in fact, without A&P I think we will find it harder

Make up your own mind if I am disappointed since it would appear I would upset people were I to say I am.

We didn't make the playoffs last year because we didn't win for 10 games. After that we had automatic promotion form for the rest of the season.

We didn't make the playoffs last year because we didn't win for 10 games. After that we had automatic promotion form for the rest of the season.

oh dear, you'll have Alpine on here arguing it was the draw at Wycombe and the loss at Tranmere that cost us.

As long as the team we have currently have a much better pre-season than we did last year then i'm not worried at all.

Any signings or loans will be able to slot in a lot easier this season I reckon and we could loan or single season contract in players to fill the positions if the plan is for us to go up because if we do go up we wont have to shed as many players as say we have had to this season.

Theres still plenty of time left in the Transfer window left.

Worth thinking about other options AP already has within the squad with quality players who can cover more than one position. Also in the recent friendly he used Martin and Harding for 45 mins each as RB - was this to see whether its worth buying a back up RB? Are you likely to get a good RB to sit on the bench who would be much better than Harding or Martin? Guess this is what he is deciding on.

Lallana, Puncheon could both play CM imho.

Wide players - Lallana, Puncheon, Ox-Ch, Holmes, Dickson

RB - Harding or Martin as cover?

LB - got two good ones

CF - 3 very good ones, also have option of playing 1 upfront in 4-5-1, or using Lallana

I don't think we need to panic buy only if we can get genuine quality.

I think Alpine has made a reasonable point and doesn't deserve the abuse frankly. I think many of us could say we are perhaps a little disappointed that we've not signed players to key positions already when we see other teams like Weds getting their men. But then they've not been in this division for a season and honed a 1st eleven team such as the one we've got (and indeed added to). So yes, I am a bit disappointed that we've not heard anything so far. However, there's another three weeks to go before we need to concern ourselves and I feel sure we'll see the gaps being filled.

What gaps are there though? I don't think we'll see another RB as Harding has proved himself more than capable at RB and LB. At CB we've got Seaborne and Martin as back-up and so I don't think we'll be adding to that. At CM Wotton is not enough, so I do think we need a quality box-to-box player. At RW and LW we've got AOC and Holmes as backup, not to mention Mills who could do a job at LW. In terms of strikers, there's just the possibility of a Lambert stand-in and I still think that might happen.

So I think that if we see anymore signings it will be a maximum of 2. Or perhaps 3 if the Richardson rumour concerning his dislocated shoulder is true.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
New thoughts...

And the reasons given for that failiure to win any of those games being acceptable, no longer hold any water. So if anyone trots them out at any point during next season, they will be talking effluent!

Yes we had automatic promotion form after those ten games, but we also had genuine pace in the squad which we don't have now. Teams are going to sit back and try to hit us on the counter, and most of the opposition we face in this division will have the pace to exploit that lack in ours, so without addressing that, I can see more performances like that at Swindon and more teams being able to nick not just one but all three points off of us. I really think that there are quite a few posters on here, that don't realise the value that Papa and Antonio gave to the team, yes Puncheon had more assists but both Papa and Antonio had assists and scored more goals than Puncheon. Ox Chamberlain looks a pretty good prospect, but needs to be eased in gently, besides wouldn't it be great if he was brought on to replace someone who had already run the full back ragged and tired him out? So we still need two players with pace, ideally one of whom is able to play on either wing or up front when needed.

As far as Centre Mid goes, we need back up for Morgan, and that type of player is not going to be available on loan, and also someone who is better than Hammond, who is far too inconsistent in my opinion, someone who as others have said is a no nonsense stopper and ball winner.

Then if Bart has gone, can anyone who has seen Forecast play, seriously say that they would be pleased for him to be Kelvins back up? I doubt it, so that needs to be addressed as well.

So like Alps and a few others on here, I am getting concerned that we haven't sufficently strengthened our squad, unlike Wednesday and in particular Huddersfield who haven't lost any of their squad and have added some more quality to it in Crofts, who will be an excellent signing. I certainly wouldn't want to play them with our current squad if I was in Pardews position.

Slightly worried, but not hysterical and of the need to post a new thread on this issue once a week.

We still definately need a CM but that is pretty much it as a bare minimum IMO.

We could do with another striker to cover Rickie and perhaps a little bit more pace in the wide areas.

Other than that, get the f*ck over it Alpine, it's almost as boring as the whole payment plan episode.

No not at all, the bulk of this summers transfers were made in January. Chucking money into signing players when we've already got a very good side isn't the best idea.

Obviously we need a couple of additions, but we've got until the end of august to make them.

Unfortunately I dont know what is going on behind the scenes at SFC so I am unable to comment on what signings are in the pipeline but the two signings so far have been very good

Pardew needs to be working with the team for a couple of weeks and not spending time on the phone worrying about who he should bring in.

But I expect another one or two before the season starts

Edited by John B

Maybe everyone has a little nagging feeling growing deep down or are much more mature than you and can discuss a valid concern without abuse

The trouble is Alpine the record is broken it is the same thing everytime you are NOT a supporteer of Saints but just an antagoniser that personally I am fed up reading! I am sure you have a life......and are a very nice person deep down, but i am just bored with your negativity!!!! Regards,

So you were happy to draw 0-0 at home to Oldham with an arguably more attacking squad than we have now when we were chasing a play-off place in April, to take but one example?

So you were happy to draw 0-0 at home to Oldham with an arguably more attacking squad than we have now when we were chasing a play-off place in April, to take but one example?

Yes I was ecstatic.

All teams have off games, lucky wins and unfortunate losses. You can't look at games in isolation. The facts are that, on average, we were plenty good enough for the last three quarters of the season. It was the beginning of the campaign that killed us last year.

Last year we were the second best team in League 1. Norwich are gone and none of the dross coming down is as good as they were. Last years squad would have been the best in the league this year. Since last year we have lost Waigo, Bonio and a load of crappy bench fodder. We have gained probably the best LB and RB in the League. Dickson can also play midfield if needed.

In short, I'd say we were abotu 3 players away from having a complete squad and we already have one which can easily beat any opponents in League 1. Sorry Alpine but you're really flogging a dead horse with this one.

Yes I was ecstatic.

All teams have off games, lucky wins and unfortunate losses. You can't look at games in isolation. The facts are that, on average, we were plenty good enough for the last three quarters of the season. It was the beginning of the campaign that killed us last year.

Not quite, by Xmas we were close to sixth. It was AFTER January that we FELL AWAY and then had too much ground to catch up near the end

I'm surprised at the moment because I have seen some teams around us snap up plenty of good players.

Huddersfield & Weds have done very well.

I'm still hoping for Stock & a target man (to sit on the bench no doubt, that's why we are struggling to get one IMHO as they want first team footy)

Also I believe AP will bring in another defender with a midfield leader that will have us jumping for joy.

Problem is I want this team to hit the Plymouth game running and not a situation where AP will be wondering what is his strong team.

this

oh dear, you'll have Alpine on here arguing it was the draw at Wycombe and the loss at Tranmere that cost us.

Bit harsh really. It was only 5 points out of 6, at a very crucial time

How on earth can people say that cost us ???

Plenty of matches left to make that up, if everyone else lost of course

Get Real

Not quite, by Xmas we were close to sixth. It was AFTER January that we FELL AWAY and then had too much ground to catch up near the end

If you look at it purely in terms of league possition, then yes we did better in the first half. It would be far more accurate to compare the relative points scored against the other teams. It was easy overhauling the 10 point deduction on the sh*t teams who were going 6 games without a win. Far harder to gain ground on playoff chasing teams who are winning and drawing most every week.

I agree, having lost Antonio and not having replaced them so far we lack different ideas for games where one approach doesnt work. If we were running out of steam in a game, then Antonio was brought on to mix it up a bit and give the opposition something to think about. We need a replacement for him, aswell as a good CM. For me, Hammond isn't consistently good enough for a side that is going to be challenging to win the league and I am worried that a key player like this hasn't been brought in early doors.

If nothing is done within the next 10 days I am going to start getting worried big style.

I agree with this 100%. Really loved Antonio and Papa by the end of the season.

Beginning to think all Markus cares about is his poxy cranes :)

I know that was meant as a humoured response, but please get yourself a tad more informed next time, because otherwise this kind of comment just annoys. Markus has nothing to do with Liebherr cranes and vehicles.

Sorry guys I feel alpine has a point. Firstly I think a lot of people underestimate bow important papa and Antonio were and secondly we are in the fortuntae position in modern day football where we have money to spend and can cherry pick players from other teams, something which we are not doing this off season. Why keep an ageing wotton when we can clearly get better centre midfielders???

Not quite correct, despite your overuse of CAPITAL LETTERS. We lost two league games in three before New Year (to Leeds and Colchester) which derailed us a touch. In January and February we went unbeaten in all 7 league games played (3 wins, 4 draws), which is still comparable with a points total to get in the playoffs.

Its so easy to look at individual results and decry losing the odd number of points here and there. But, despite what some people want to believe, all teams will lose games against the odds at various points throughout the season, and this season we will be no exception.

There's no getting away from the fact that our promotion challenge was downed by only gaining 9 points from the first 10 games. Championship winning form for the next 36 games was not enough to get over such a poor start.

I am a little bit worried but I've every faith we will bring in the right player or two.

AI am far more worried about Bart leaving than any other players coming in at the moment, if we go into the season having to rely on Forecast even as a sub goalkeeper we're screwed if Davis gets any sort of injury or suspension at the wrong time. It would also mean Davis's position in the team is basically assured which is never a good thing, everyone needs competition. It's akin to Pulis being our only cover for Schneiderlin and Hammond.

I don't think we would have released James, Ostemebor, Thomas, Perry etc if we hadn't planned on spending some money this window, it's probably just a case of getting the best possible deals for the players we want.

Not quite correct, despite your overuse of CAPITAL LETTERS. We lost two league games in three before New Year (to Leeds and Colchester) which derailed us a touch. In January and February we went unbeaten in all 7 league games played (3 wins, 4 draws), which is still comparable with a points total to get in the playoffs.

If we hadn't conceeded that last minute goal against Milwall I am sure we'd be in the Championship now. Such a shame.

Although I do agree, we left ourselves far too much to do after the start.

Last year we were the second best team in League 1. Norwich are gone and none of the dross coming down is as good as they were. Last years squad would have been the best in the league this year. Since last year we have lost Waigo, Bonio and a load of crappy bench fodder. We have gained probably the best LB and RB in the League. Dickson can also play midfield if needed.

In short, I'd say we were abotu 3 players away from having a complete squad and we already have one which can easily beat any opponents in League 1. Sorry Alpine but you're really flogging a dead horse with this one.

I agree with you we have recruited another two very good players - Oxlade-Chamberlin Mills and Martin seem to be reasonable prospects , Connolly and Holmes maybe fully fit so we only need a couple of other new players and a couple of loans.

The goalkeeping situation is a one off Bart said he was returning if he does not the Club will do something about a replacement

I know that was meant as a humoured response, but please get yourself a tad more informed next time, because otherwise this kind of comment just annoys. Markus has nothing to do with Liebherr cranes and vehicles.

Is wiki wrong?

Markus Liebherr (born 30 March 1948[1]) is a German born, Swiss businessman and a member of one of Europe’s top family business dynasties.

He is a son of the late Hans Liebherr, who started the company Liebherr, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of construction machinery, set up over 60 years ago in Germany.

Think the current squad could do a job and hold their own - unlike the XI that started last season; but why should we leave anything to chance. A dip in form, an injury, a suspension could all derail things, especially if a setbacks gnaws into team confidence. A few things:

a) The problem with losing Papa and Antonio is not what they brought to the team as individuals but that together they represented our i) main outlets of pace and ii) wildcards from the bench. Where is the pace and guile from the bench now?

b) I can't see us changing our gameplan of relying on Lambert and the direct ball - but that puts a hell alot of pressure on Lambo both when opposition teams single him out and when he's asked to lead the line for a whole season. Another target man seems sensible.

c) A CM who can get foward would be nice - both Schneiderlin and Hammond tend to stay deep and not give us much movement - nothing wrong with this, especially if we're looking to the widemen for space and crosses. But i dont think the balance is quite there, especially as its the one area where we dont have back-up (Wotton apart). Hence Pards has experimented with Punch in the middle but it hasn't really worked.

Am not knocking Pards - I think his prioritisation of two full-backs has been underestimated by others. It is shrewd, clearly anticipating the challenges that being league favs will bring. As games like Swindon showed, teams will look to stifle us this season. They will congest the midfield and put men behind the ball, making it more important that the fullbacks can bomb on and give us an extra man upfield.

Am also confident that Pards will dip into the market to strengthen the two or three areas identified above after he returns to England. Makes sense that he would wait and see how others have performed on the preseason tour before making any big splashes. Thus I'm not worried but there are clear gaps that squad players like Wotton or emerging prospects like Oxlade-Chamberlain or McNish will not fill overnight, so am not complacent either. Ask me the same question in two weeks time, assuming nothing has changed, and I'd probably give you a different answer...

S-Clarke, heres my thinking why we need "a few more players"

Centre backs......Fonte and Jaidi first choice but Seaborne and Martin are at absolute best average League One. Think Martin will be good though but isnt yet. So, ONE CENTRE-BACK required as good as F&J

Right Back....only Richardson available...Harding could do the odd game but not a long stint...ONE RIGHT BACK

Centre Mid.....Hammond and Morgan are good but IMHO we need a tough tackling ball winner...Wotton is not that...ok as fourth/fifth choice. No one else in the squad. ONE CENTRE MID

Striker.....Pardew is on record as saying we need someone similar to Lambert. OX-Cham will I suspect be used more up the right. Connolly it could be argued is injury prone! ONE STRIKER

Goalkeeper....Without Bart we only have Forecast...I honestly cant comment on his ability so we maybe need another GK

So I reckon we need at least 3 quality signings and maybe a gk and maybe a right winger.

potentially that is 7 signings over the summer.

This about sums it up.

However, why the panic? Sure it would have been ideal to have it all sorted now, but they've only been back a week or so. If there is no movement by the start of August then fair enough. However, even then, if we want the quality maybe we have to wait.

Maybe it's because our transfer business isn't all over the papers that causes some concern, rather than trusting the people in charge to get the right players in...quietly.

Calm down dear.

I'm confident that we will see a couple of additions over the next few weeks. Probably a young pacy winger (on loan?), and hopefully a cultured defensive midfielder.

Any other signings we make will be purely as cover. There are three players in the squad who don't seem to have a lot of cover (Rickie, Frazer & Kelvin), however if Harding/Martin are okay on the right, and Bart stays, then it's just really upfront where we might like to bring in an addition. However, I can't think of any tall players, who are both talented enough for us to consider taking on, but who would also be comfortable with signing a contract for a season of watching Lambert from the side lines. IMO, some of our least impressive displays last season involved speculative long balls in Lamberts direction, coupled with a lack of midfield support. I'm hoping Pardew demands we keep the ball down more, and use the obvious strengths of players such as Lallana and Puncheon, passing and creativity. If we kept the ball down, we might find that not only do we give the ball away less, and keep the opposition on the back-foot, but that we aren't as reliant on Rickie's height - and as such might not need a direct replacement. Keep the ball down, and the line could at times be led by Connelly and Barnard.

Yeah exactly. And which starting xi showed that automatic promotion winning form? The one that's starting the season!

Give it a f***ing rest will you alpine. I have had a crap day I come home for a bit of light relief from this forum and theres you making want to commit suicide.#FS be positive for once in your life

PS have you been to a match yet or are you going to watch the team in Fribourg

Edited by Viking Warrior

Is wiki wrong?

Markus Liebherr (born 30 March 1948[1]) is a German born, Swiss businessman and a member of one of Europe’s top family business dynasties.

He is a son of the late Hans Liebherr, who started the company Liebherr, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of construction machinery, set up over 60 years ago in Germany.

Yes, because you forgot to c&p the bit 3 paragraphs further down:

"He later handed most of his shares back to his family, and he has been running his own group of companies, the Mali Group, since 1994."

So he has had no interest in cranes since 1994. For all I know maybe he is a crane spotter still, but his business is concerned with transmission and machinery largely for the railway industry, see under "The MALI Group" in Wiki.

ML does not do cranes, but his brother and sister do.

Not disappointed,more surprised tbh,obviously it is better to get your signings in early so it gives the player(s) more time to settle rather the new players doing the settling in the first few weeks of the season.

It can't be down to money and I suspect that pardew would rather hit the ground running......so I can only assume it is down to the right player being available for the right money.

We also have to assume that as soon as a player becomes linked with saints the price rises and I can't for 1 minute see cortese being held to ransom over a players inflated price.

Every game is a 2-horse race, so results will go against even the best team sometimes. Just look at any league. Each single results is just a small partin the jig-saw. The first 10 games (plus the deduction0 was what killed us.

Also I dont know why people seem to want such a large first-team squad. 28 is more than enough, more means players not match fit. OK, if sometime it happens all your goalies (or whatever0 get killed its emergency loan time, but to have double or triple cover in all positions is too much.

Surely we must all be concerned that we have not got the pace that Papa and Antonia gave us last season?

But neither of those were regular starters. We have an AWESOME starting eleven. All the panic merchants are assuming all our best players will get injured and we'll be doomed. Here's a thought, maybe they'll stay fit! Can you imagine! This time last season our starting line-up was scarily bad, and we had no scouting network, and didn't have a full coaching staff. All we need is a couple of quality players to add competition and depth to the squad. Had anyone heard of antonio or papa before we signed them? No. Is it that inconceivable that the management team/scouts are taking their time over finding the right players rather than just rushing in so the poor lambs can come on the trip to Switzerland? There is absolutely no need to panic

Our starting 11 will be very strong for this league,however i am slightly concerned with the lack of depth in the squad.

It made one hell of a difference when Morgan was out of the side for any length of time, let alone if we were to succombe to any major long term injurys to others that would be straight in the starting 11.

Previously we have had continuous rumours and being linked to all and sundry,this close season it is very quiet.

Some would say this is a good thing,me, i think it adds to eveyones slight concerns.

Despite what appears to be the beliefs by many that we are nailed on for Champions/promotion,i am going to keep my powder dry,it will be a long and tough season and we need a bloody good squad to get out of this league,not just a good starting 11.

I sincerely hope more players will come in,and they prove to be high quality signings.

Time is moving on and the likes of Huddersfield and Sheff Weds appear to be making their move,along with others,in the transfer market.

Perhaps we have irons in the fire,the silence is deafening and just a tad worrying,imo.

Pardew has not let us down,in fact he has played some blinders when it has come to transfers,so i'm sure he is fully aware of our potential failings,however i would feel more at ease if the jigsaw was nearer completion,i would hate to get part way into the season and in hindsight it proves we are short in numbers and quality in already highlighted areas.