Saints 2 - 0 Cherries - Post match reaction

Baj

According to my source who I go to games with

Defence extremely secure

Lamberts Penalties very good but apart from them nothing much

The team played with no real width and not much imagination

But we are in League 1 and should be improving throughout October and I fully expect to be in the play offs after the Dagenham game and perhaps sooner

Defence extremely secure

But we are in League 1 and should be improving throughout October and I fully expect to be in the play offs after the Dagenham game and perhaps sooner

any side with Lallana in it has imagination

It was nice to see a Saints team actually look like a football team. The team had decent shape and passed the ball well. Importantly it is good to see the confidence coming back. Nearly all the players are getting back to normal but Lamberts mobility is still a bit lacking. It was nice to see us leaving two up at defensive corners and at attacking corners creating movement from the edge of the box and running in rather than just standing in the box. Kelvin Davis now trying hard to pass the ball at the back.

The new manager is swiftly sorting out the previously woeful pattern and we are beginning to look like a real football team. If Lambert can pick up the pace we will be a real threat. Today Bournemouth looked like a decent team, with a bit of pace and good passing, but not a powerful one. On the other hand we looked like a strong team.

Defence extremely secure

I think your mate was at different game to the one I saw. There was plenty of width and some excellent crisp passing. The goals will come this team is on the up.

Defence extremely secure

Welll your source wasn't Dave Merrington, Adkins or Lambo who all thought we played with great width and kept possession really well.

But all share your conviction that we are heading towards the play offs!!

Professional display.

Adkins makes Fonte go to full back position when KD has the ball, creating space and letting full backs move forward.

Interesting comments in the programme from KD saying how they thought they played well last game only to find out how disappointed Adkins was with quality of their passing.

Saying he won't accept their previous use of long ball.

Special mentions for

Barnard - amazing energy and running with the ball

Lallana -

Mrogan

fonte

Best display for a while! Passed the ball very well from the back, Seaborne and Fonte looked a good pair and well organised.

Midfield was where we controlled it. Morgan and Hammond superb, got stuck in and kept the ball very well! Morgan especially was everywhere and drove forward well. Can't believe some don't rate him. Madness.

Puncheon had his best game for ages, total effort and patches of great skill. Lallana a class act in this league.

Barney works so hard and draws fouls expertly - signs of some nice link up with him and Rickie who put away the pressure pens expertly. His link up was nice, just tended to take an extra touch instead of thumping a shot in. Adkins will sort him out...

Bournemouth played into our hands by actually trying to win. They were ok, but on that showing it is clear we are better, we just need to find consistency.

Bench looked much stronger, we just need another striker, especially as Barney puts sommuch effort in he is knackered after 70.

Will be tasty at Dean Court....

Edited by Saint Charlie

Defence extremely secure

No width I could perhaps accept, Lallana cut inside a lot and obviously so did Puncheon when on the right. However: no imagination, I can't understand that. From teh back, whenever it went to Kelvin we noticably had a player each side of the pitch dropping back to take the ball from him so as no hoofing. Seabourne hardly hoofed it at all, which says a lot. Morgand and Hammond were both very solid in midfield. Lallana continues to be a class apart at this level, and while Punch was a bit frustrating he still did ok. Lambert is well off the pace in terms of fitness and thinking time, thankfully Barnard was full of industry and clever running and gave their defence a torrid time for the whole of the game.

Room for improvement? Certainly. But this was a very polished performance where we did what we had to do and never looked in real trouble. Definitely a step forwards from recent performances.

Defence extremely secure

Your source is wrong.

Did I really hear Eddie "Boo-Hoo" saying that our pens were not really pens but they had four shouts, two of which were stone-wall?? He really is a bad loser isn`t he?? He had better get used to it, I feel. Saints were by far the better team and made them look very ordinary.

To be fair though, on another day either of their pens could have been given. And they were so needless, one shove in the back from Seaborne with his arm out and one grab from Fonte when his marker wasn't really goign anywhere.

No idea where Howe gets the other two from. And ours were both nailed on penalties, albeit equally soft.

Sure he was at the game ? We played with width anytime any of the players drifted in Adkins was shouting at them so they had no choice ! Lallana added creativity too. I am convinced we could have gone on to score more goals but it seemed Adkins opted for controlling the game.

Some will whinge that we didnt score from open play but it was a thoroughly professional performance and we are only going to get better.

Well done Cortese for giving Pardew the heave ho and for choosing NA.

Absolutely right. Pardew would never have been able to secure a 2-0 home win against Bournemouth.

Oh.

Well not the way we played today he wouldn't Much nicer to see us play for 70 minutes and play crap (ish) for 20 than the other way around. And can I say Punch was man of the match for me.

Well not the way we played today he wouldn't Much nicer to see us play for 70 minutes and play crap (ish) for 20 than the other way around. And can I say Punch was man of the match for me.

Your first sentence makes no sense. But I have no desire to turn this into a Pardew v Adkins argument. We certainly tried to pass it much better today, and looked a much better team for it.

Don't agree with punch for MOTM, though he was admittedly better than in recent weeks. Barnard was the stand out performer for me, followed by Lallana who just oozes class. Also hats off to Hammond and Morgan for controlling midfield so well, a completely different game to Colchester when they both got bullied by a blonde midget.

Total cakewalk,Lallana makes one hell of a difference.Hopefully the goals will give Rickie more confidence,his all round game is still hit and miss.Lee Barnard was terrific,and although I am not a fan of his at all,I thought Dean Hammond was excellent today.The last 20 minutes we were extremely sloppy[i lost count how many times the normally reliable Fonte gave the ball away],however hopefully we are now up and running.All the other results apart from Peterboro winning went almost totally our way.

Cherries built this to a big game for themselves - remember the scenes when they won promotion? Fans and players on pitch celebrating - and first song on their mind? We are going to St Marys!

Don't think they, or Howe handled the pressure at all.

Good to see Saints play with width - when attacking down one flank the opposite winger stayed wide and Saints midfield looked better for it, with Hammond and Spiderman using the space well.

Good time to be a Saints fan at the momemt, a manager who knows what he's dong and tolerates NC ( unless you know differently) and a team playing with confidence

Onwards and upwards - we deserve it after a stuttering few years.(ex JPT)

As I live in Poole but work in Bournemouth this was a particularly enjoyable result for me - well done my Saints !

Had we not won the penalty's however I not at all confident we would have taken all 3 points as our fundamental problem (Ricky Lambert's form) hasn't really changed. Having said that, having Lallana back does significantly improve the teams balance. Onwards and upwards.

Very enjoyable game... outplayed them and bossed it. Nice to see us passing out of defence. Agree with most others and the fact that Lambert is so out of sorts we could do with another striker at this rate, especially as we played last 10 with no striker (unless Goolie is one but i thought he was a midfielder...but he is a big lad !

Good crowd.Let the good times role......

Very good result, they didn't have a sniff all game. A very good team performance.

Davis 7 - Didn't have much to do all game, but took the crosses coming into his area very well and some good throwing too, even if his distribution is still a wee bit dodgy.

Butterfield 6 - Decent enough, but still gets beaten for pace every time by any winger he comes up against. Linked up well with Puncheon though.

Harding 8 - Very solid, made some good (unspotted) runs down the left flank and very commanding defensively. Worked hard all game.

Fonte 7 - Solid again, although didn't win many headers today and he does tend to have his arms all over anyone he marks - which on another day could have given B'mouth a fair few freekicks in good areas.

Seaborne 6 - Good in the air, made some good short passes, but he still makes me slightly nervous. He seemed to be on a different planet to Kelvin and the rest of the defence at times, needs to get his head in the game.

Puncheon 7 - Did well. I'm not his biggest fan, but he linked up very well with the defence and midfield and worked hard. Just needs to learn to beat his man and put in a cross and he could be very useful.

Lallana 8 - Excellent performance, we've really missed him. Worked hard and created chances right from the very start, gave us a little more energy and fizz up front. Tired towards the end.

Schneiderlin 7 - Worked hard but was quite anonymous at times. Harried the B'mouth midfielders a lot and made some good passes.

Hammond 8 - Best performance from him in a long time imo. Worked very hard, was involved creatively a lot and won the ball at important times. A captain's performance.

Lambert 5 - Pretty much ineffective up front. Nothing came off for him today, except the two penalties. He's just not playing like he was last year, it's a complete mystery. Maybe the 2 goals will give him a boost for next saturday.

Barnard 9 (MOTM) - My Man of the Match. Incredibly industrious, always making runs, won some vital freekicks and deserved at least one goal. If Rickie can get going with his form, these two will be absolutely lethal again.

Subs:

Chamberlain 6 - Pretty much anonymous, showed some good touches and skill though. Quite Lallana-esque, but with more pace imo.

Guly 5 - Bit of a passenger, but he's not really a striker. Puzzling decision to take both strikers off and put two midfielders on, but in Adkins we trust!

Chaplow 6 - Got stuck in a lot, obviously eager to impress. Not sure he deserved a yellow, it was a 50/50 ball and those happen every game.

What a difference he makes!

Adam was class today. We've missed him big time. Despite the pens, Lambo still looks well short of last season. He looks frustrated but if he relaxes it will come. Happy with Chaplow too, get him in for the long term for me. Then we need some striking options and we're sorted.

B'muff fans were saying "2-0 to the referee" but they were wrong. 3 clear pens from where I was sat, so 2-1 would have been a fair result. :nod:

Much improved performance, but Lambert still looks lumbering and passing when he would have shot last season. It's clear that NA is encouraging them to pass the ball whenever it's an option. Great to have Lallana back as he certainly made a big difference. Both looked definite penalties despite their whingeing. Chaplow's signing clearly had an impact on Hammond and Schneiderlin. Ricky could do with some more competition for his place.

Actually enjoyed it today! Thought the whole team played well, except lambert is clearly off-form. Needs games and it will come right.

MOM? Contenders are Barnard, Hammond, Lallana plus maybe others - I don't want to choose. Puncheon played well. I thoguht Chamberlain looked sharp, but only on for a short while.

Biggest positive: playing the ball, passing it, passing it out from defence, few long balls. Apart from the control it gives Hammond and Scheiderlin more space, more time and brings them into the game, and they used it all well. Very happy.

Liked Chaplow's run and collision. Not sure why he got booked, since the ref didn't blow for a foul - mnaybe it was the afters with B'muff players, but then why not book them? Just another strange refereeing decision.

First game I've enjoyed this season. Thought Barnard was brilliant, so much more than just a striker. Good performance from central midfield too. Nice to see us actually passing it around rather than hoofing it.

Bournemouth fans seemed ****ed off afterwards, few minor scuffles outside.

Once i managed to get to the game, then find a spare seat after someone had nicked mine, then it was quite a good afternoon....

I felt we controlled about 80% of the game, but we got a little shaky in the last 15mins as they came onto us a bit...but that's the only time i really felt worried, we were in control other than that.

We didn't create as many clear cut chances as we can, but we still scored goals and i don't really care how we get them - as long as we win the game! I liked the way we kept the ball, we passed it around well and had them chasing shadows at some points. It was great to see Lallana start and i thought he was brilliant for about 60 or so mins, then obviously he tired as you'd expect. The same happened with Lambo, i thought he was back to his form of last season at times - his hold up play in and around the box and his ability to bring players into the game was coming to the fore again - and we will always create problems for the oppo when he plays like that.

Bournemouth huffed and puffed but i was a little surprised by them, i thought they'd have been more of a threat but our defence was on top of its game. Fonte was back to his best and Seaborne continues to impress this season, i thought he was very assured. - and Harding also had his best game for us this season IMO.

All in all a good win, we can probably play better than that but the league table is getting really tight now - and another win next weekend could paint a different picture on our chances this season.

You aint in the kingsland North are you? had a guy who was ment to be the row behind who sat next to meas there was a spare seat as someone had nicked his?!

Btw good team performance every player played well for maybe the exception of Lambert but he stuck away the penalties, MOM was Barnard for me closing down, chasing and general work rate was top notch!

Onwards and upwards now!

i heard Lambo drank a whole bottle of JD or similar after we won the JPT. Maybe he is still hungover?

Sounds like we played really well, my worry is we only won from pens, what if their first shot had gone in instead of hitting the post?

Am I right in thinking that Lambo hasnt scored from open play this season?

i heard Lambo drank a whole bottle of JD or similar after we won the JPT. Maybe he is still hungover?

Sounds like we played really well, my worry is we only won from pens, what if their first shot had gone in instead of hitting the post?

Am I right in thinking that Lambo hasnt scored from open play this season?

you are right, 3 penalties and a deflected free kick.