Saints 2 - 0 Cherries - Post match reaction

Baj

Good result that we thoroughly deserved to win. Lallana MOTM for me as he made such an impact coming back into the side and (in his words) only 70% match fit too! The pens were stonewall pens, plus we could easily have gone 2-0 up when Puncheon - completely through one on one with keeper - was belatedly pulled back by the ref to give US a freekick!!! They may not be our proper rivals, but it sure felt good to win at SMS again.

For your comment and criticism (OK, I'm a bit out of practice in video'ing Saints goals so don't blame me!)

Lambert's first penalty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOcrQahs5E

Penalty award (you can see it in the top corner, honest!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX5qWQctlCE

Lambo's second penalty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQx6P60cOgU

Caplow's foul for his booking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h0BLrAu6tI

so thats pilchards and st landrew gone, wtf is going on? Suicide pact?

I would imagine they are leaving to start up a NICE WORTHY Saints Forum where everyone will agree.They will have endless debates about the best Saints shirt in the last 30 years or programme designs that sort of thing.....................

Both teams had really good chances to score in the opening 5 minutes, it was only last-ditch defending by both sides that kept it level tbh. The open play goals will come when Lambert is back on form, he's so integral to the way that we attack, and when he's having an off day, most of our play seems to come to nothing.

I agree with most of the positiveds today and my MOTM was also Barnard. However, after all his flack received, I would like to point out for the record, it was Puncheon's closing down and robbing their defender and sending in that cross which caused the havoc in the penalty area that led to our second penalty. Puncheon started off as normal, kept getting on the ball and kept losing it. He miscontrolled the ball, gave it away, etc. etc. However, on about 35mins, he almost put barney through with a great through ball and the crowd applauded his vision and execution. From that point on, he was more positive, and the luck started going his way. I have felt for Puncheon this season. He's clearly been off form, but with Lallana out, he has had to swap from his favoured right wing to his unfavoured left wing. However, he has never stopped trying, he always wants the ball and he always tracks back and supports Harding. So, although he wasn;t outstanding today, he got better and he setup our second goal. I really hope his confidence and luck returns as Saints are so much better when Lallana AND Puncheon are playing well.

With lambo, my personal opinion is that he was put on a diet of some sort and it is the wrong diet. I actually believe, and laugh all you want, that he is on a low carb diet and heavy on protein. I think the guy lacks energy and his thought processes are too slow. He needs carbs (not complex carbs though).

I heard the Lambert interview on Solent tonight and loved it when he said Adkins had told him and Barny to play higher up the pitch and in their box. It was something at the Rochdale and Colchester game that was so wrong and Adkins has fixed that already.

I got fed up in those games with lambert in our half rather than theirs - although today he was poor - lost count of the number of times he didnt even jump for a header.

Barnard must of been really ****ed of getting subbed first after his brilliant display leaving on lazy Lambo.

I thought the manager was spot on with the substitutions today, something we have been crying out for during AP's time at the club

In fairness I thought we looked poorer for losing Lallana, I like young chamberlin but I don't think he got to touch the ball for about ten miniutes after he came on, he didn't provide the threat Lallana did. I'm guessing though that Nigel was protecting Adams knee as we where winning. The other subs didn't have much chance a booking for Chaplow wasn't great although guly looked a bit threatning with couple of half chances.

I heard the Lambert interview on Solent tonight and loved it when he said Adkins had told him and Barny to play higher up the pitch and in their box. It was something at the Rochdale and Colchester game that was so wrong and Adkins has fixed that already.

I got fed up in those games with lambert in our half rather than theirs - although today he was poor - lost count of the number of times he didnt even jump for a header.

Barnard must of been really ****ed of getting subbed first after his brilliant display leaving on lazy Lambo.

Barnard is carrying an injury so taking him off was the correct choice.

Barnard is carrying an injury so taking him off was the correct choice.

He didnt look like that from his reaction......problem is we had no forwards on the bench as well as Connolly is out for a while.

Having said that the only way for Lambert to get back his form is to play - but he needs to work harder than he is at th emoment IMO.

Wanted to point out this link from last season:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10280~47570,00.html

2 - 0 home win (first of the season), 2 penalties from Striker who hadn't, up to that point, been banging them in regularly for us. My old man pointed this out, and he is right, it kick started our season, although we lost our next home game against Bristols Rovers, we then went on to be beaten only ONCE in the next '16' and winning 13! Is this a turning point again?

.........Barnard must of been really ****ed of getting subbed first after his brilliant display leaving on lazy Lambo.

Lambert needs games to get his form back. Barnard though was excellent today.

Plus chaplow's collisoin wasn't given as a foul, so he couldn';t have been booked for that - must have been afters with the bummouth players/ref.

Bournemouth with not a single shot on target. Not great to see we only had three though, but overall pleased with the performance. Need to start scoring in open play.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9036445.stm

I'm not sure where they got that stat from. At a rough count I remember: 2 penalties, Butters' shot from edge of the area, Morgan's shot from distance, Rickie's header from a corner, Barnard's shot after being put through, Rickie's follow up to Barnards' shot, Rickie's free kick which makes 8 already..........

I went to the game today expecting a really hard battle against a team in 2nd place and with a huge positive goal difference. I came away almost buzzing with saints performance - total domination.

Bmth were really poor and never looked like scoring after that early near miss. Their defence and midfield looked pretty dodgy and a more confident saints could have scored a hatfull today.

We are really beginning to look a decent side and when ricky starts clicking again we will be a really difficult side to beat.

Already mentioned elsewhere, but todays crowd over over 26k was massive for the third division - bigger than anything in the chumpionship and better than four premier crowds. Truly astonishing.

Literally only just got back - the train back to Weymouth was entertaining to say the least.

Davis - not much to do, looked solid. Throwing out to his defence more which is good.

Harding - very good down the left wing, seems to love playing with Lallana.

Fonte - unbeatable, as always. That rest did him the world of good as he looked a little off before it.

Seaborne - started a little shakily and then turned into a rock. I really rate this guy.

Butterfield - our most consistent performer so far this season IMO. Great signing - will Richardson even get in the team?

Lallana - absolute class above. What else can you say?

Morgan - driving forward very well this season, and his tackling doesn't seem as aimless as previously.

Hammond - decent performance but doesn't seem to like running straight forward. Needs to be more direct on occasions.

Puncheon - like Seaborne he started shakily but turned it round to give, IMO, his best performance in a Saints shirt so far. Absolutely brilliant.

Barnard - as industrious as ever, unlucky not to score. Carrying an injury I think we were told so him being subbed is no surprise.

Lambert - looking more like his old self, although still not quite there. That goal in front of the Northam will have helped.

Chaplow - looked rusty, too early to judge.

Chamberlain - OUTSTANDING. Comparisons to Walcott are not unjustified, i'd even say he's got more skill - but nowhere near the pace.

Season started at Shefffield IMHO.

2-0, 7 from 9 positive GD now.

Would have been great to see goals from open play, but I'm sure that will come.

Happier days are here again!

No pleasing some people!!;)

Penalties came from pressure from us. We out played them in every department. The only way they could contain and handle Barnard was by fouling him. Well played Saints....more of that and we'll be singing "We've got more points than you" to the Bompey ****s in the away fixture!!!

Puncheon tracked backed and tackled more than he has recently

Maybe you've only seen him at home under Adkins, because he's been much more disciplined in his position and worked a lot harder in the last 2 away games. At Yeovil he cleared one off the line as the last man back and he put in some good tackles at Wednesday.

He still frustrates me, but I can forgive his wastefulness more when he's putting the effort in.

Good solid performance all round today apart from the first minute! Comfortable win, fair play to the lino for giving the first pen as they normally bottle decisions like that.

I'm not sure where they got that stat from. At a rough count I remember: 2 penalties, Butters' shot from edge of the area, Morgan's shot from distance, Rickie's header from a corner, Barnard's shot after being put through, Rickie's follow up to Barnards' shot, Rickie's free kick which makes 8 already..........

As usual the BBC stats are complete carp - according to them neither side had a shot on target in the first half which is strange as we were one up by that point!

A good win agreed , but without 2 pens would we have won , Lambert looks terrible . Our overall passing and possession was 1st class. But infront of goal the keeper made 1 save in the first half nothing else to do .

Barnard was great full of energy but with a lack lustre partner he was a one man show up front .

Hopefully we can push on from here v Tranmere , how many games do you give Lambert with performances like that week in week out .

Agree.

We surely must have another penalty taker in the team. Lambo needs to be sent to a health farm. He was hopeless today apart from the two splendid penalties, and it's true his other free kick bounced off their keeper and was nearly converted. But on the pitch he looks so unwell. Huffing and puffing whenever he broke into a slow trot. Continually being dispossessed (one nearly leading to a Muffins goal). Just TOO slow to react. Still he did save his energy for the penalties

We surely are and it was a great game to watch - did you go Tris or is the boycott still in place?

I've not boycotted since Lowe, but after Swindon said I wouldn't go again until I felt that the players were doing enough to warrant the expense of going.

Sure he was at the game ? We played with width anytime any of the players drifted in Adkins was shouting at them so they had no choice ! Lallana added creativity too. I am convinced we could have gone on to score more goals but it seemed Adkins opted for controlling the game.

Some will whinge that we didnt score from open play but it was a thoroughly professional performance and we are only going to get better.

Well done Cortese for giving Pardew the heave ho and for choosing NA.

Amen !! At last the light is dawning :-)

Most enjoyable afternoon, good to see a fuller stadium, and the blokes I sit with back into 14 years old down the Dell on the Milton mode.

Thought Barny had a great game, although the player who impresses me every week is Butterfield he plays good honest football in the typical Lawrie Mac road sweeper style. Good to see the Adkins stamp beginning to show on the team.

I didn't think Chaplow's was a foul - on their forum they are saying it should have been straight red! Guess will have to see if its on highlights
My brother was listening to Solent and he said that the commentator and Dave Merrington were both immediately critical of Chaplow saying he deliberately left his foot in the tackle and that he could have been sent off.

Just because he's in a Saints shirt doesn't make him a 'saint' but hopefully Adkins will give him a talking to.

Well thats five games on the bounce for me. and todays game was excellent and showed me saints are more than a team to reckon with. The cherries can enjoy their brief time at the top as we will soon be above them.

There were so many positives for the team today its hard to know where to start.

I noticed a huge comradrie with the squad. and any desent amongst the players under the previous managerial leader ship have dissipated. Whne adam lee and rickie came off the rapport between manager and coaches was infectious. also something I hadnt seen before was rickie , lee and adam warming down on the touch line well before the game finished.

I really like NA and his team. there is certainly a buzz amongst the squad and coaching staff. the futures very bright the futures red and white. Its shame its going to be a couple of months before I can get to watch the team again as I travel home tomorrow

Excellent result. Hopefully, the momentum is starting to build and NA is getting the players to gel, into the style into which he wants us to play. Good to see Chaplow back too.

If there's one slight concern from today, it's that we still need someone to share the burden up front with Lambo and Barnard. Anyone got any rumours of possible new signings, which were going round the ground today?

"everyone in the crowd could see them except the referee."

I always use this line on FM08 and get warned by the FA. Hopefully the same will happen to Howe. He has completely ignored the fact we were the better side today.

He's a dour *****, they're fans are pathetic. Hopefully we'll nail them at the monkey chicken petting zoo as well to shut them up again, once and for all.

Great result and we were well worth it. Bournemouth were the worst team I've seen this season, although it helped us that they didn't play with 10 behind the ball like Orient and Rochdale. They gave the ball away more than any team I've seen in Div 1 and am amazed that they are so high up the table. If they keep playing like that they'll fall down the table quickly.

As someone said earlier in the thread it was MS and DH who gave us the platform to build the win on. They bossed midfield like they should be able to, perhaps the arrival of Chaplow has made them up their game. Great performance from Barnard, I tho thought that their CB captain would get sent off in the first half the way that he was all over Barnard in the first half. He backed off a bit after his booking though.

Thought Puncheon had his best game at home this season and Lallana made a huge difference. I'm sure it will come for Rickie in time but the goals should give him more confidence.

5 points of 3rd place is nothing at this stage of the season. If we can keep this run going we could be in the play off places by the end of the month.

I thought us total and utterly dominate and professional today.

Excellent both with and without the ball.

Best I've seen for quite a while

This, they never looked like scoring after their first minute flurry, the result was never in doubt, just the score. A class above in every department.

Lambert's poor form gave us lots of problems up front IMHO. For one thing, his first touch was appalling which lost us a number of chances but also when he lost headers the ball went back into midfield behind our wingers who had already moved up to support the attack, leaving us exposed. Luckily Barnard played like two players. Also good to see Puncheon improving. He'll give us some good performances. Lallana was excellent.

Bournemouth worked well as a team but didn't have much about them. As for their fans, all huff-and-puff but no class. Just like their team.

This, they never looked like scoring after their first minute flurry, the result was never in doubt, just the score. A class above in every department.

In truth though without the penalties neither did we. We looked very dominating but lack of goals from open play is a concern for me. Barney works his nuts off but isn't putting to many in the net and Lambert doesn't seem to have the confidence to shoot he keeps taking one more touch instead of just smashing the ball at goal. Our defence has firmed up though never looked like conceding today the midfield looked a lot better too outplayed Bompey's midfield all afternoon.

My brother was listening to Solent and he said that the commentator and Dave Merrington were both immediately critical of Chaplow saying he deliberately left his foot in the tackle and that he could have been sent off.

Just because he's in a Saints shirt doesn't make him a 'saint' but hopefully Adkins will give him a talking to.

wasn't because he's a saint, just on first watch thought two players went in hard but fair but chaplow was solid and other guy bounced off.

replay may show it was bad, just didn't think it at the time

In truth though without the penalties neither did we. We looked very dominating but lack of goals from open play is a concern for me. Barney works his nuts off but isn't putting to many in the net and Lambert doesn't seem to have the confidence to shoot he keeps taking one more touch instead of just smashing the ball at goal. Our defence has firmed up though never looked like conceding today the midfield looked a lot better too outplayed Bompey's midfield all afternoon.

obviously forgot the chance Barnard had when straight through and hit it straight at the keeper, Puncheon blazed over from a similar position and was then pulled back when clean through, 3 good chances which on another day would have been goals. The pens were as clear as they come, i could see the first one was hand ball from my position almost a pitch lengths away, after that the result was never in doubt, it was how many we scored.

wasn't because he's a saint, just on first watch thought two players went in hard but fair but chaplow was solid and other guy bounced off.

replay may show it was bad, just didn't think it at the time

agreed, didn't do much wrong to me, to say it was a possible sending off is ridiculous, i didn't even think it was a booking.