Saints 2 - 0 Cherries - Post match reaction

Baj

obviously forgot the chance Barnard had when straight through and hit it straight at the keeper, Puncheon blazed over from a similar position and was then pulled back when clean through, 3 good chances which on another day would have been goals. The pens were as clear as they come, i could see the first one was hand ball from my position almost a pitch lengths away, after that the result was never in doubt, it was how many we scored.

thats not like him............

yeah Barnard and Lamberts chances where there but both should have done better if I'm honest. It just seems two players who were free scoring last season aren't this year.Lallana chipped in with twenty last season too so hopefully Adam coming back into the team might bring more goals from the midfield.

Thought we played them off the park to be honnest. We may not have had that many chances in front of goal, but we completely controlled the game. Excellent in midfield and didn't give them a sniff at the back. If we play like that for the rest of the season we will go up, no question. Such a shame their cup final was a complete none-event. If their fans had walked out after hitting the post in the first minute, they'd have missed f**k all. Saints were really good, both individually and as a team.

Davis - 6 Didn't have much to do. Not sure about the kicking.

Butterfield - 6 Wasn't really challenged

Fonte - 8 Excellent. Played the ball out of defence so comfotably.

Seaborne - 8 Much less hoof than less season. Looked comfortable.

Harding - 8 Got forward well and was never out of control at the back.

Puncheon - 7 Had a good game. Could have scored when 1-on-1, but the ref brought it back for a free kick.

Hammond - 8 Ran the midfield with Morgan.

Schneiderlin - 8 Ran the midfield with Hammond.

Lallana - 7 Needs to regain a bit of fitness and sharpness, but still looked lively.

Lambert - 6 Two well dispatched penalties, but still isn't there in open play at all.

Barnard - 8 Ran his socks off.

Really enjoyed the match although it would have been nice to have scored from open play, still 3 points is 3 points and confidence levels should be on the up.

Players that I noticed were

Harding: Another rock solid performance.

Fonte: A Coke player in a league 1 team. My MoM.

Schneiderlin: Personally I don't get the hero worship for this guy but he did the 'engine room' stuff very well today.

Lallana: Skillful and tricky. Always good to watch.

Barnard: Worked his tail off. Pure determination.

Chamberlain: Not on for too long but looked a real livewire. Injected energy on the right side as soon as he came on.

I'd drop Puncheon for Holmes as I just don't think he's giving enough decent service (although credit where it's due he did rob the B'nmouth right back to cross in and set up the 2nd penalty). Lambo needs plenty of quality crosses to get up and running and Holmes is the man to supply them.

Finally Lambo, the guy looks shot of confidence although he did take the penalties brilliantly. One moment that stayed with me was at the start of the 2nd half when he was in a decent shooting position but tried to tee it up and was robbed of the ball. Last season he would have taken a swing at it and probably drawn a save or scored.

He's the KEY man and needs a goal from open play - BADLY. If we can get him scoring we'll rapidly rise up the table - until that time we'll be spluttering along.

Really enjoyed the match although it would have been nice to have scored from open play, still 3 points is 3 points and confidence levels should be on the up.

Players that I noticed were

Harding: Another rock solid performance.

Fonte: A Coke player in a league 1 team. My MoM.

Schneiderlin: Personally I don't get the hero worship for this guy but he did the 'engine room' stuff very well today.

Lallana: Skillful and tricky. Always good to watch.

Barnard: Worked his tail off. Pure determination.

Chamberlain: Not on for too long but looked a real livewire. Injected energy on the right side as soon as he came on.

I'd drop Puncheon for Holmes as I just don't think he's giving enough decent service (although credit where it's due he did rob the B'nmouth right back to cross in and set up the 2nd penalty). Lambo needs plenty of quality crosses to get up and running and Holmes is the man to supply them.

Finally Lambo, the guy looks shot of confidence although he did take the penalties brilliantly. One moment that stayed with me was at the start of the 2nd half when he was in a decent shooting position but tried to tee it up and was robbed of the ball. Last season he would have taken a swing at it and probably drawn a save or scored.

He's the KEY man and needs a goal from open play - BADLY. If we can get him scoring we'll rapidly rise up the table - until that time we'll be spluttering along.

Fonte is your mum? how does she hide her devils dumplings?

Most worrying part of the day was trying to keep awake on the drive down from Heathrow - 9 hours sleep in 48 sort of does that to you!

As for the game, I really really really enjoyed it. So easy to see the changes Adkins has already instilled, the simplest being the way that the CB's drop back and wide to give KD outlets, the ball is played on the deck from the back, which brings the opposition Midfielders forwards creating space for our MF to move into. So simple, instead of the opposition MF dropping deep and our two forwards battling against 3 or 4 players to win hoof balls. Definitely will be a confidence thing though and sooner or later a mistake will cost us a silly goal BUT it was a helluva lot better to watch. It meant that Barnard was getting the ball played into his feet which is where he is so good.

The movement by the defense, the reading of the game by Fonte and the sight of Butterfield and Harding trying (not that often) to get to the bye-line OR more often moving the ball to work it in that directionrather than cross from the halfway line.

An early break from Lallana showed what we had been missing and really galvanised the crowd, especially after the worrying start when they hit the post. The build up play for the early one handed palmn away from their keeper was superb. Puncheon looked the real deal as well, it seemed Hammond was sitting a little deeper than Morgan and Rickie although playing further up the pitch seemed to drop off "into the hole" leaving barnard playing off the shoulder fo the CB's. Almost a diamond shape.

Rickie was involved far more than in the last game I saw (Rochdale) but, to be honets his first touch was still awful compared to last year and his glancing header would have been buried last year as well as him taking too long on a couple of occasions when he should have just buried it, yet he scored twice and his free kick although lacking real power to beat the keeper was superbly placed.

For me Puncheon showed a lot more passion, his run set up the comedy moments in their penalty area in the second half where their keeper seemed to be the only defender for what felt like 5 minutes making desperate lunging tackles all over the place before the 2nd penalty.

Lallana showed what we had been missing, great comeback performance, and again, being honest showed why Oxy is really only still an impact player not a replacement for him yet.

Morgan & Hammond good battling performance in the middle, and yes Hammond DID take a man on and beat him, and the ball into the corner near the end for Oxy to run onto from Morgan was sheer class.

But my M-o-M has to go to Barnard, worked the line superbly, he looks so much better with the ball into his feet, touches and turns to take defenders out of the game, he really looked like a class act making their CB's look cumbersome.

Bournemouth - nasty, niggly, lack of creativity, showed the limitations of their squad and their manager. Howe's interview on Solent was a disgrace. The first penalty was for handball, their defender was on the ground thought he had the ball hidden from the ref and used his hand while on the ground to pull it back as it looked to squeeze lose to Lambert. Great but obvious shout by the Linesman. Yet at the same time the rugby tackle/Mick McManus headlock by Fonte on Fletcher was also nailed on and I have no idea how the lino didn't give that one.

Poor decision by the ref not allowing advantage when Puncheon was through, but tbf from his angle the defender would have looked closer than he was and also, with Punchoen's shooting record he may have saved him the embarrassment of missing, which IMHO may be important as I think he's a confidence player and will get better after yesterday.

Summary, more ooh's and aah's in the first 12 minutes than in a week in a Horton Heath Ind Unit. Best I have seen us play for a long time (JPT final not withstanding), AND the first time in many a year that I have gone hoarse while in the Chapel End.

Still clearly a work in progress, can clearly see that the previous style was not right for the players we have, don't believe we will be able to play to feet from the back on ploughed fields in the winter and still likely to see mistakes costing us silly goals and silly dropped points.

But was a happy bunny in the traffic coming out the ground and was still grinning as I went through Heathrow wearing the sash with some pride again. It will take a few more weeks, but we could have had 3 or 4 goals yesterday in the first 15-20 minutes, and when (ok IF) Rickie gets back to his scoring touch then the style should rip open a few more Bus Parking teams at SMS. Howe played it into our hands yesterday by turing up and trying to outplay us at football - made him look naive (And a whingeing tw*t on Solent)

And a final well done to the Northam for the p*ss taking Small Team in Boscombe, Cup Final songs etc.

I thought Lambert was pretty poor but took the penos well. Hammond and Barnard were our best players with Fonte and Lallana just behind. Special mention to Seabourne as well, who went about his work in an unfussy way.

Had Lambert been firing like last season would have been about 5 or 6, as they were really poor.

Howe must be seething - going to a place where he wasn't offered a job he wanted, desperate to impress - his players gave away two stupid clear penalties and one managed to get sent off for being an idiot.

He tried to outplay us with football and failed miserably.

His team has no pace, his chairman has no class, and we've established to their obvious annoyance that there is only one south coast derby.

Bournemouth's hunt for local rivals continues......

I would like to put a good word in for Hammond after yesterday. I thought he was immense in the middle, doing the simple things well, linking the play and closing down. He plays that undervalued but essential role in the middle of the park keeping play moving forward and when he has been out of sorts the whole team struggles, but yesterday he was MOM for me. Also thought that Puncheon, another boo-boy of late, played well, too, keeping it simple and using the ball productively. Just need Rickie back to last year and Adam 100% fit and away we go....

Howe must be seething - going to a place where he wasn't offered a job he wanted, desperate to impress - his players gave away two stupid clear penalties and one managed to get sent off for being an idiot.

He tried to outplay us with football and failed miserably.

His team has no pace, his chairman has no class, and we've established to their obvious annoyance that there is only one south coast derby.

Bournemouth's hunt for local rivals continues......

Wouldn't you swap league positions with them right now though?

I too thought Puncheon played ok, he just seems to be lacking a bit of confidence at the moment. He worked very hard yesterday, tracking back and winning tackles.

Punch just needs to practice kicking a ball against a wall repeatedly to get a feel for how it comes off his boot. His shooting is woeful and is due to having poor body position at address and poor tekkers - which can both be improved with practice.

well sadoldgit, if you are asking whether I would like us to be higher in the table, like everyone else I would say yes.

If you are asking whether I would like to swap positions with Bournemouth, like everyone else who is sane I would say no, no, no, no, and no again.

I have no Bournemouth envy of any sort, as clubs we are clearly heading in different directions, they were very poor and their position in the table looks freakish on that showing.

well sadoldgit, if you are asking whether I would like us to be higher in the table, like everyone else I would say yes.

If you are asking whether I would like to swap positions with Bournemouth, like everyone else who is sane I would say no, no, no, no, and no again.

I have no Bournemouth envy of any sort, as clubs we are clearly heading in different directions, they were very poor and their position in the table looks freakish on that showing.

I saw Bournemouth a couple of times last season and I was surprised then that they managed to get promotion. I genuinely thought that they were too lightweight and would struggle this season but maybe they have a worked out a system of play that more often than not beats the type of team that we meet at these levels. I'm not too bothered about other teams' results, though, all that matters is how we get on. I missed the Colchester game but yesterday I felt that there was more shape and purpose about us. Hammond and Schneiderlin seemed to know what their tasks were and there was a lot less hoofball. The long balls were played up to the feet of Barnard, who was superb, and I felt that they were more confident. We need to cut out the silly mistakes or else we could easily have given away a penalty or two. Guly should be given a rollicking for trying to shoot in the last minute when three other players had bust a gut to get up to support him. He only had to roll the ball across goal and miss the one defender and we would have had a third. Next time it might be important.

I agree with most of the positiveds today and my MOTM was also Barnard. However, after all his flack received, I would like to point out for the record, it was Puncheon's closing down and robbing their defender and sending in that cross which caused the havoc in the penalty area that led to our second penalty. Puncheon started off as normal, kept getting on the ball and kept losing it. He miscontrolled the ball, gave it away, etc. etc. However, on about 35mins, he almost put barney through with a great through ball and the crowd applauded his vision and execution. From that point on, he was more positive, and the luck started going his way. I have felt for Puncheon this season. He's clearly been off form, but with Lallana out, he has had to swap from his favoured right wing to his unfavoured left wing. However, he has never stopped trying, he always wants the ball and he always tracks back and supports Harding. So, although he wasn;t outstanding today, he got better and he setup our second goal. I really hope his confidence and luck returns as Saints are so much better when Lallana AND Puncheon are playing well.

With lambo, my personal opinion is that he was put on a diet of some sort and it is the wrong diet. I actually believe, and laugh all you want, that he is on a low carb diet and heavy on protein. I think the guy lacks energy and his thought processes are too slow. He needs carbs (not complex carbs though).

Can't comment on your dietary musings but re the sentiments on Puncheon, I agree. His attitude is first class. Always puts mistakes behind him, always hungry for the ball and work rate is excellent. We ate lucky to have, in him and Lallana, two of the fittest and hardest working players in the division who also happen to be two of the most gifted.

Howe was shown up by adkins yesterday , howe´s tactical substitutions didnt change our domination and was out of his depth.I know who i would rather have as manager.

To be fair, his tactical substitutions didn't work because our players were better than their players so it didn't really matter what they did tactically.

Wouldn't you swap league positions with them right now though?

To be fair, that's daft point... Would you rather be 3rd or 15th? not really much a of a point is it?

Now if you'd ask which team would you prefer then you'd have a a question.... and the answer would be Southampton all day long. Massive gulf in class yesterday and I fully expect the positions to be reversed in a few months time...

To be fair, that's daft point... Would you rather be 3rd or 15th? not really much a of a point is it?

Now if you'd ask which team would you prefer then you'd have a a question.... and the answer would be Southampton all day long. Massive gulf in class yesterday and I fully expect the positions to be reversed in a few months time...

I am hoping weeks rather than months!

Very pleased with the win.

It wasn't a local derby, it was three welcome points, and living in Bournemouth I can confess to being very happy on a personal level as the locals' arrogance was starting to test my patience.

Shame to hear that there were a few knuckleheads causing trouble, but I was expecting it, seeing how their 'fans' were giving it large last season in the pre-season friendly. The sooner they get over this desperation to have a local rival the better. Pathetic all round on their part.

However, it'll only be a good win if it starts a run of good form - anything but a win against Tranmere and I will be extremely disappointed.

Very impressed yesterday. Only slight downer on the day was that we couldn't manage to get a goal from open play, but in all honesty it was hard when they were hacking us left right and centre, hence two penalties and a sending off(ignoring when puncheon was clear on goal and he brought it back to the free kick).

I thought that basically everyone played brilliant and I think today showed how much we missed Lallana. Remember that he is still coming back to full fitness. Morgan was brilliant and bossed midfield. Fonte was as good as ever. And personally, I thought Butterfield put in an excellent performance also; always managed to get there.

Seabourne was a bit dogey for the first part of the game but eventually he settled in well, but he kept not winning in the air. Lambert still isn't there and I don't know why. Personally I would have subbed him and not Barnard as he works so hard every game. Would have been nice to see Guly a little bit more also but that is a minor qualm.

Overall, VERY HAPPY.

Edited by Saintandy666

I'm also at pains to mention that a lot of people here in Bournemouth seem to think they were hard done by and that we didn't deserve to win.

Best comment I heard yesterday with all the build up and very silly talk by their fans was that when we went a goal up, apparently we celebrated as if we had won the league and suddenly it meant more to us. I can't think of all that many times when I've heard something so utterly absurd. There's a lot of talk about us 'putting them in their place', and for what it's worth, I hope we have done just that. As I mentioned before, the sheer arrogance I've heard all week has been incredible.

Best comment I heard yesterday with all the build up and very silly talk by their fans was that when we went a goal up, apparently we celebrated as if we had won the league and suddenly it meant more to us. I can't think of all that many times when I've heard something so utterly absurd. There's a lot of talk about us 'putting them in their place', and for what it's worth, I hope we have done just that. As I mentioned before, the sheer arrogance I've heard all week has been incredible.

Alternatively it may have been the relief/joy of scoring a goal after more than 7 and a half hours of play at SMS.

Very pleased with the win.

It wasn't a local derby, it was three welcome points, and living in Bournemouth I can confess to being very happy on a personal level as the locals' arrogance was starting to test my patience.

Shame to hear that there were a few knuckleheads causing trouble, but I was expecting it, seeing how their 'fans' were giving it large last season in the pre-season friendly. The sooner they get over this desperation to have a local rival the better. Pathetic all round on their part.

However, it'll only be a good win if it starts a run of good form - anything but a win against Tranmere and I will be extremely disappointed.

TBF we are already on a good run of form. If we beat Tranny it'll be 10 pts from 12. Top form in anyone's book.

Right, just about managed to shift the hangover.. thoughts on yesterday..

Bournemouth... ****e. Appart from the opening 2 mins I can't recal them really doing anything (mind you I couldn't even rememebr one of their players getting sent off!)

Thought we looked good, passed the ball round well, could of had a hatfull of goals if their keeper hadn't been so good... he really kept them in the game....

Their fans.. no idea, I was plastered and didn't really hear them, even though I was sat in the Northam...

Hot dogs were nice...

Looking forward to work tomorrow ( I work in Bournemouth) :)

Did anybody notice that we had the fourth biggest attendance in the country yesterday - only Sunderland, Spuds and West Ham bigger. 4 Prem games and all of the Champ had less than us. Makes me think we are in the wrong division......

Indeed! I was playing off the bench for my local women's side in Italy today (6-1 to us, and I missed an open goal....). Chatting to the captain on the bench and. like most Italians, she was amazed at our 26k crowd for a third division team...

Please quote away previous threads but I did do a quick search of the forums and couldn't find the answer...

We changed ends for kick off which was great - however, did we lose the toss and afcb wanted to shake us up a bit or did we win the toss and Adkins decided that a change is as good as a rest and all that?

Thanks

I watched BBC tonight. Thanks to my SKY subscription

Rickie give that ball a belt for two penalties . Anybody able to work out the velocity of those goals?

I so pleased we didnt appoint Ernie Howe as manager. he is so light weight and reminds me of the likes of Steve wigley , stuart Gray and the Dutch geezers

In Nigel we trust

Please quote away previous threads but I did do a quick search of the forums and couldn't find the answer...

We changed ends for kick off which was great - however, did we lose the toss and afcb wanted to shake us up a bit or did we win the toss and Adkins decided that a change is as good as a rest and all that?

Thanks

Whoever wins the toss has choice of ends, that's all I know.

Many people are touting Howe for a Premier League job one day, and it has occurred to me he is much like Sir Alex Ferguson. On Saturday he blamed the loss on the ref. When we beat them at their place, he'll either blame it on the pitch, the ball, the colour of the kit, the ref, the weather, or a burst water pipe in the changing room. He'll never admit that Southampton were simply the better team on the day.

We controlled the game and didnt really look threatened with the exception of the opening minute and of course we won, so a good day all round.

Indidvidually our players looked pretty good (Although Lambert compared to what we know he can do was poor) but we just don't look like scoring.

We did break them down after about 4 mins and it was a great save from their goalie and then defender, but i just cant see goals like we were getting last season and without them, we can forget promotion.