I've fallen... for the sash

capitalsaint

Do you prefer the Sash kit to the Stripes?  

536 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the Sash kit to the Stripes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't mind

Blimey, the mods are going poll crazy now! Not sure how to answer it, because I love the kit but I want the stripes back for next season.

This. The sash will be remembered fondly but stripes is us - at least until it is brought back for our 150th!

Took a while to decide between yes and dont know but went for yes... now im thinking dont know... or maybe no as it will make this kit more special being a one season kit style... As long as the next stripes kit is as classy and as good quality and not just a boring t shirt with red and white stripes on it i'd be happy to have the stripes back. Really wasnt impressed with the away kit design/quality this season so hope its not like that...

I love the sash, but I also like the fact that it represents our 125th year.

It'd be fantastic to look back in a few years time and say , "I remember when we had the sash kit! Was our 125th year and the season we won the league!"

If we were to keep it, then it'd take some of the significance away IMO.

Return to the famous red and white stripes next season please.

I love the sash, but I also like the fact that it represents our 125th year.

It'd be fantastic to look back in a few years time and say , "I remember when we had the sash kit! Was our 125th year and the season we won the league!"

If we were to keep it, then it'd take some of the significance away IMO.

Return to the famous red and white stripes next season please.

i see what you mean, but the red and white stripes are famous as being the strip of lots of teams.

they aren't actually the famous red and white of southampton any more than stoke et al. the sash on the other hand...

i see what you mean, but the red and white stripes are famous as being the strip of lots of teams.

they aren't actually the famous red and white of southampton any more than stoke et al. the sash on the other hand...

So folklore has it, maybe Duncan can expand on the rumour, that we in fact took the stripes idea from Stoke!

From 1885 to 1950 Saints didn't have black shorts. They were blue.

From 1885 to 1950 Saints didn't have red/white or white socks. They were blue.

From 1885 to 1974 Saints didn't have the current fan designed in a competition club badge.

From 1885 to 1896 and from 1980 to 1989 Saints didn't wear red and white stripes.

Teams can change their kit style many have in the past. Leeds United everywhere are thought of as all white, but didn't wear white until the 1960's.

A red sash makes Saints unique in English football and differentiates the kit from Sunderland, Sheff Utd, Stoke etc etc. and isn't a complete change as it links back to the club's roots. When everyone thinks of red sash let them think Saints (and Peru) :). Docker-P would have had a nightmare if he were a fan in the 1950's when Saints started wearing black shorts and white/red socks for the first time after 65 years of blue socks.

I think we should stick with the sash. :)

Edited by Matthew Le God

I voted no it is OK for one season but we need to go back to our traditional kit next season and YELLOWS for away.

What is the traditional kit though?

- For 52% of the club's history it had blue shorts and blue socks.

- For 71% of the clubs history it didn't have the current badge style.

- The % of the club's history where it had a yellow away kit is tiny.

They should have stuck with the first kit in 1885. It is unique in England and looks good.