Any players from Reading we should bid for?

Dazza82

Mills can be a liability at times and am not sure that he would want to come back here anyway !

Apart from Long who will deffo go to a prem club, I would like to see Kebe or McAnuff down here but reckon that we'd struggle to get them !

Howard would no doubt like to come home but I wonder if he is better than what we've got so we probably won't take any Reading players at all !

I think today's game shows just how far we have to go to be challenging at the top end of the table. Lots of pace, invention and creativity throughout both sides. I'm not saying we need wholesale changes, as with the likes of Fonte, Lallana, Chamberlain, Lambert and Guly we have a core of players who could compete up there, plus 2 or 3 others who may also be able to step up to the plate. But I think we definitely need 4 or 5 top players over the summer to move us from a mid-table side to one who can compete for the title.

Also, I think today highlights just how important it is to hold onto Chamberlain, if only for one more season. He on one wing and Lallana on the offer are both game-changing players, and with defences much more organised than we've seen this year we're going to need their craft to break down sides.

On todays showing none of them. Persperation does not a player make. There seemed to be a lot of 'huffing and puffing' did there not?

You answer your own point when you say 'today's showing.' That team went on an incredible run to get into the playoffs winning 8 consecutive games at one stage so they obviously aren't a terrible team. Are Huddersfield also a bad team because they lost in the final after 28 games unbeaten!? The playoffs are a lottery.

shane long please...he is brilliant...

i am aware there is no chance

Indeed, he'd never what to join a club where he couldn't get first team football behind Owen and Ricky "better than Torres" Lambert.

Antonio - great cover for both wings and through the middle.

2 appearances all season suggest that Antonio is not the player we are looking for (or even that we saw glimpses of last season). Must really be regretting staying put last season.

Matt Mills would be a good addition, but very much doubt that he would come back, just shows we let certain players go too soon, now with some experience and age he is just beginning to show what a good propsect he was. CBs, like GKs mature much later than many other players, but the ridiculous academy system in this country does not recognise this.

So that was 3 out of 3 teams that I wanted to win the finals that got beat.

2 appearances all season suggest that Antonio is not the player we are looking for (or even that we saw glimpses of last season). Must really be regretting staying put last season.

Matt Mills would be a good addition, but very much doubt that he would come back, just shows we let certain players go too soon, now with some experience and age he is just beginning to show what a good propsect he was. CBs, like GKs mature much later than many other players, but the ridiculous academy system in this country does not recognise this.

We didnt let him go, he wanted to go to Man city to link up with Wigley again.

I think people need to reign in their expectations for our transfer targets. We will not be signing the top players from teams that finished in the top 6 this season.

Based on some of the suggestions I've read on this and other forums we're going to have some very ''underwhelmed'' fans this summer.

I think people need to reign in their expectations for our transfer targets. We will not be signing the top players from teams that finished in the top 6 this season.

Based on some of the suggestions I've read on this and other forums we're going to have some very ''underwhelmed'' fans this summer.

Do you know something we all dont then?

Do you know something we all dont then?

Nope, but i'm pretty sure we're not going to be splashing £3m on the likes of Mills, 5/6m on Long, 2m+ on Karacan.

I don't think any of those would even make the move anyway, we've just got promoted are by no means nailed on promotion contenders. They'd probably see their current clubs as having a better chance of going again next season.

Expect to see good players from L1, couple of European guys too - but it won't be any one we've spoken about.

Nope, but i'm pretty sure we're not going to be splashing £3m on the likes of Mills, 5/6m on Long, 2m+ on Karacan.

I don't think any of those would even make the move anyway, we've just got promoted are by no means nailed on promotion contenders. They'd probably see their current clubs as having a better chance of going again next season.

Expect to see good players from L1, couple of European guys too - but it won't be any one we've spoken about.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?30189-Director-of-European-Recruitment

The Club has a clear ambition of getting directly to the Premier League, so we need to find five or six quality players over the summer. I will probably need to find three players that in theory are good enough for the Premier League, but have the mentality to play in the Championship in one or maximally two seasons, which is the time frame for promotion", says Friis-Hansen

Also i seem to remember NC saying when they first came in that we will be buying the best of the players so we can be the best in the league we are in, or word to that effect.

Long is Premiership bound imo, But why cant we bid for players like Mills and Karacan. I can see us getting some L1 Players too but as squad players but Expect a couple or more quality sigings in the summer.

i dont think we are likely to get any of their players why would they want to sell to a rival, especially if it made us stronger? Ithink Reading be ok again next season they are fine money wise and will get more by selling Long

Depending on the cash we have available, Mills and Long would be a fantastic signings, not sure about Howard, however he is the player from the three that is arguably the most atainable TBH.

Long and Mills would probably be targets for lower prem teams and so probably out of our availability, if however we start splashing the cash and making it obvious what our ambition is then it may be different. Mills and Long have exactly the quality we are screaming out for, Mills a tough tackling and good in the air up and coming CB and Long, quick and tricky and one that has NOW started finding the net.

We wil see what in reality will happen, but for the moment I think that we are aiming for somewhere in the middle of Howard and Mills/Long. I hope we can sign players of better quality then Howard.

That said, they are hardly flush, Madjeski has had some serious money problems lately and has made it patently obvious to the fanbase that he is willing to listen to offers for the club and has bigger obligations in his commercial and housing projects.

reading have a core of some very good young players...I doubt we could just take any of them without paying of the odds....I suspect shane long will go but they will replace him...maybe a CMS..?

I expect reading to be top 6 again....

Wouldn't be too sure of that, I think its a given that the likes of Long and possibly a few others like Mills and Kebe could go if the money's right, Matiovski or whatever his name is was sold at the start of the season because someone offered a good/fair price and Madjaski has cash problems, therefore is very keen to replace some of it as well as sell the club on.

They were 13th not so long ago and not looking in any decent form, it would only take a few key players to go and not be replaced due to the financial restrictions and they wont be anywhere near the play offs.

Hows the no booze going BTW?

Can't see why Mills would want to come back to Saints and if he did we'd have to pay through the nose for him. Antonio is a good shout though, I'd take him back. I know he hasn't done it for Reading this season, but Chaplow wasn't doing it for PNE either. Reckon we could get Howard if we tried too.

To me this thread sums up why a lot of fans of other clubs consider us arrogant.

We've just got promoted from League 1 and we're talking about whether we can sign the best players from a team who were 90 minutes away from the Prem!!

Well yes...but most people are coming to the conclusion that it won't happen...so not really.

My answer should be taken in the context of the fact that I absolutely detest Reading. Cant quite explain why - arrogance beyond belief when I was walking to the game at their place in our Championship relegation season and some woman was complaining out loud "Why have so many [4k] bothered to come along, and why are they singing so much, they are bottom and we are going to beat them of course" perhaps? Billy big game fans who turned out in their thousands yesterday - of course, so would we - but did you see how many empty seats they had for the home semi? So glad they stayed down and we can go there again next season. Bring it on

Back to the question: no, none.

I think that might also apply to the Swansea centre half Garry Monk although when we let him go we had Michael Svennson

I think that might also apply to the Swansea centre half Garry Monk although when we let him go we had Michael Svennson

Monk was a player to whom we never gave a chance,loaned him out left right and centre and he eventually left when he was about 25.Considering some of the crap we imported afterwards to play in central defence I guess the last laugh is on us.

Long, Kebe and Mills would be my picks, and yes, these are the sort of players I'm hoping we're going to be signing. We already have the core of a mid-table side, so we need some genuine proven quality to get us further up.

There are various reasons why they won't sign, but I hope money isn't one of them.