Public Sector Pensions - Today's Times

JackanorySFC

Obviously it's such a stupid idea and won't happen but if Gove actually gets any parents in to cover classes has he explained what they would do? My guess is not much good.

I think the Gormless Gove has already started to back pedal with his office now saying he didn't actually mean that he wanted parents in to help (despite when asked on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show on Sunday whether he was suggesting that parents should go in to take lessons on Thursday, he said: "Well, parents going in to help, certainly.").

Sorry, but could somebody from the old guard explain to us MTV generations exactly what on earth 'pensions' and 'retirement' is?

its a struggle to comprehend what all this is about, when the new generations are facing mortgage scale debts for their education and an outside chance of buying a home by the time you are 40 years old (average is currently 37 for first time buyers)... this all seems pretty bizzare to me

So, the new generations are looking at dying before they finish their careers - pretty straight forward, just have to accept that this is the reality now.

The people who will be funding these 'pensions' for you lot... so the public sector want to finish @ 60 years old, and the private have to support it by working untill they are 66/7/8/9...?... eh?

it is getting very tiring listening to the old guard failing to accept the new economic realities we face.

Enjoy your strikes you muppets, maybe some of the millions of unemployed can volunteer for the day, and maybe earn themselves a job in place of the strikers - and get these greedy dinosaurs off the books!

The economy moves in cycles. We're going through some bad times now, but it won't last. We'll have the good times in the future. Do you believe that if we change the rules for pensions now to cope with the bad times that when the good times come the rules will be changed back? No, of course not. Once the changes are in the place, they'll be in place forever. People may well say that the private sector underwent change like this and didn't kick up a fuss - well more fool those people then. Just because one group of people don't mind having their working conditions changed, that doesn't mean everyone has to sit back and allow their retired lives be changed beyond recognition. There is clearly a lot of animostity from some people on this board towards public sector workers and in particular teachers. I'm not sure what the real reason for all of that is, but this is simply another stick to beat those people with.

I don't expect these strikes to be a one off. I expect more strikes and from more workers and unions. The second largest teaching union hasn't even balloted yet and when they do you can guarantee they'll be out on strike as well. Then there are all the other public sector unions. I think there's a bit of jealously from the private sector that their ability to group together to protect themselves has been removed and now they want everyone else to be in the same vulnerable position as they are. Just like the true "I'm alright Jack" attitude of the Tories, there's also a "I'm not alright Jack, and therefore neither should you be".

My wife's school, has 30-odd teachers in it, ONE is striking - an old one, far removed from what everyone else in the private sector has endured the last few years. All the other teachers are partnered to professional people mostly "in IT", so they understand what everyone else has endured and aren't striking.

My wife's school, has 30-odd teachers in it, ONE is striking - an old one, far removed from what everyone else in the private sector has endured the last few years. All the other teachers are partnered to professional people mostly "in IT", so they understand what everyone else has endured and aren't striking.

Well my wife is also partnered 'with someone in IT', and she is out on Thursday. Yet, as she has had to live with my net salary cut of over 3%, on top of being in the 2nd year of a 3 year payrise freeze, and also downsizing by 20% and having to reapply for my own job. she is also perfectly aware of what 'everyone else has endured'.

Go figure.

I think the Gormless Gove has already started to back pedal with his office now saying he didn't actually mean that he wanted parents in to help (despite when asked on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show on Sunday whether he was suggesting that parents should go in to take lessons on Thursday, he said: "Well, parents going in to help, certainly.").

I saw the interview with Marr on Sunday. He said that perhaps some parents would be able to help, but that the children wouldn't be able to receive their "normal menu". What I took it to mean is that if parents had skills that could be used by heads, and wanted to, then use them. An example I would give is my mate is a youth football coach, he has all his FA badges and is CRB checked. If he was willing to go in and run a coaching session on thurs, then the kids could attend. There maybe scout leaders, musicians, a whole raft of people that are crb checked that could run something for the schools on Thursday. If he is backtracking, then that's a shame, because its a bloody good idea. Obviously you would need consent forms from parents, and those against could keep the kids at home, with no action taken or absence registered against them..............

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

think there's a bit of jealously from the private sector that their ability to group together to protect themselves has been removed and now they want everyone else to be in the same vulnerable position as they are. Just like the true "I'm alright Jack" attitude of the Tories, there's also a "I'm not alright Jack, and therefore neither should you be".

No difference to the "I'm alright Jack" attitude of the public sector had whilst companies struggled to survive and private sector workers were being thrown on the dole. It's about being fair and it's fair and right that the public sector should help pay back the debt.

No difference to the "I'm alright Jack" attitude of the public sector had whilst companies struggled to survive and private sector workers were being thrown on the dole. It's about being fair and it's fair and right that the public sector should help pay back the debt.

Just the public sector? Why? They didn't create the debt. That was the private sector, or at least the financial arm of the private sector.

This is a truly moronic paragraph.

I actually pity you (and your ilk). You (and your previous posts) suggest a seething anger and injustice that only the truly ill-informed and reactionary could have. Always looking for someone else to blame....not a very endearing characteristic at all.

This is a truly moronic paragraph.

I actually pity you (and your ilk). You (and your previous posts) suggest a seething anger and injustice that only the truly ill-informed and reactionary could have. Always looking for someone else to blame....not a very endearing characteristic at all.

I'm not blaming anyone, just think it's right that the public sector do their bit. You appear to have a chip on your shoulder about something.

They didn't create the debt. That was the private sector, or at least the financial arm of the private sector.

****ing hell, who took out 125% Mortgage deals from Nothern Rock, who voted to demutulise the Building Societies, who voted for Gordon Brown, who voted for John Major/Thatcher, who rushed in with easy credit to buy cars, TV's, Foregin holidays? EVERYONE, both private and public sector. The cause of our financial woes was greed from the British public as well as bankers, bad decisions by all political persausions, as well as bankers. It was a perfect storm that was far too complex to be seperated into Public/ Private sector blame.

****ing hell, who took out 125% Mortgage deals from Nothern Rock, who voted to demutulise the Building Societies, who voted for Gordon Brown, who voted for John Major/Thatcher, who rushed in with easy credit to buy cars, TV's, Foregin holidays? EVERYONE, both private and public sector. The cause of our financial woes was greed from the British public as well as bankers, bad decisions by all political persausions, as well as bankers. It was a perfect storm that was far too complex to be seperated into Public/ Private sector blame.

The British public aren't all as astute as you your lordship. They, somewhat naively, believed the financial sector who said 'yeah go on, have 125% mortgages - property prices only ever go up' and because they were desperate to get on the housing ladder (because they'd seen the inexorable rise in house prices) they believed them.

And what about the lending to buy-to-let landlords who only exacerbated the problem of rising prices?

If the financial sector hadn't been so hell-bent on creating the environment for a collapse, easy credit would not have been on offer. The financial sector, or at least some of the hedge funds, actually bet on the collapse of the housing market in the US because it earned them even more dosh and because they were rewarded for failure as well as success.

Hardly the fault of your average medical records clerk, hospital porter or worker for the Department of Work and Pensions.

I'm sorry that's nonsense, the responsibility lies with the lender. The financial sector and government were 100% to blame.

Individual people are responsible for their own finances, not managing the country's.

Nope, no chip. Just don't like selfish, reactionary, lazy-thinking c*nts who can't see beyond the right-wing media hysteria.

Strike bingo anyone?:

http://thethirdestate.net/2011/06/strike-bingo/

I'm not right wing you pleb, I would usually vote Labour except they go on blood thirsty rampages thoughout the Middle East in the name of oil.

I just hate all his "I believe we should make cuts, but......." nonsense. Everyone agrees it needs to be done but EVERYONE cries like a baby when they are effected.

Edited by aintforever

Well my wife is also partnered 'with someone in IT', and she is out on Thursday. Yet, as she has had to live with my net salary cut of over 3%, on top of being in the 2nd year of a 3 year payrise freeze, and also downsizing by 20% and having to reapply for my own job. she is also perfectly aware of what 'everyone else has endured'.

Go figure.

You should have her more under control then!

The British public aren't all as astute as you your lordship. They, somewhat naively, believed the financial sector who said 'yeah go on, have 125% mortgages - property prices only ever go up' and because they were desperate to get on the housing ladder (because they'd seen the inexorable rise in house prices) they believed them.

And what about the lending to buy-to-let landlords who only exacerbated the problem of rising prices?

If the financial sector hadn't been so hell-bent on creating the environment for a collapse, easy credit would not have been on offer. The financial sector, or at least some of the hedge funds, actually bet on the collapse of the housing market in the US because it earned them even more dosh and because they were rewarded for failure as well as success.

Hardly the fault of your average medical records clerk, hospital porter or worker for the Department of Work and Pensions.

It's hardly the fault of the Tesco checkout women, or the taxi driver.

Politicians must take some of the blame, from Thatcher's banking reforms to Brown's overspending. The people can not wash their hands of any blame, not when we have free and fair elections. Public sector workers were happy to receive the benefits of the millions bankers made for the UK, you can't wask your hands of it now and claim it's nothing to do with you.

You talk about the public sector and how "They didn't create the debt", well my Grandchildren and their chidren certainly didn't create it..............

I'm sorry that's nonsense, the responsibility lies with the lender. The financial sector and government were 100% to blame.

Individual people are responsible for their own finances, not managing the country's.

Who voted the Governments in?

Who voted to demutilise the Building Societies? We didn't need to bail Nationwide out..............

Who voted the Governments in?

Who voted to demutilise the Building Societies? We didn't need to bail Nationwide out..............

Oh come on. Whoever you vote in you should trust to know how to regulate the financial sector. The government are in the pockets of the big banks anyway, wether they are red, blue or yellow makes little difference.

It's hardly the fault of the Tesco checkout women, or the taxi driver.

Politicians must take some of the blame, from Thatcher's banking reforms to Brown's overspending. The people can not wash their hands of any blame, not when we have free and fair elections. Public sector workers were happy to receive the benefits of the millions bankers made for the UK, you can't wask your hands of it now and claim it's nothing to do with you.

You talk about the public sector and how "They didn't create the debt", well my Grandchildren and their chidren certainly didn't create it..............

Quite right.

There is absolutely no justification for the public sector to be utterly immune from the realities of the age we are living in.

It is grossly unfair for public sector workers to cream off disproportionate pensions to those working in the private sector.

No idea why hardworking plumbers, bus drivers, checkout staff, administrators, call centre staff and the like should be crippled by taxes to keep the public sector in disproportionate pensions and cushy retirement ages.

Loving the hilarious that the sub-Wolfie Smith rantings of Scargill-wannabes like TheCholulaKid, who has the nerve to chuck the term "reactionary" at anyone he doesn't agree with. His attitudes come straight out of the stone age.

This isn't the glory days of sweetheart Arthur from 1984. This aint the miners strike and the public sympathy is nowhere to be seen. The government will crush this uprising into the dust.

Teachers, you want a bit more for your retirement? Start saving up. That's what the rest of us evil private sector people are doing.

By the way, just to confirm, I had no more to do with the banking crisis that the apparent saints of the health records department, so lord knows why I should pay to plump up their pensions while I'm trying to save for my own.

Most in the public sector are paying for their pension, they are not being given it for nothing. They are saving up. What i think most are against is the fact that its not a choice of paying extra, another 3% of their salary for example,or the option of not paying more towards it but working longer to obtain it, but both.

Also they are changing the goalposts for everyone. Why not introduce it for new people, but leave those who signed up for this years ago alone.

the government and their friends in the city(and beyond) would laugh themselves stupid if they could be bothered to read this thread.

They try to divide and rule us, and we are more obliging than the poopey defence on a trip up north.

Really, try to work out who the real enemy is...clue, its not teachers, or hard pressed workers in fear of their jobs in the private sector.

Quite right.

There is absolutely no justification for the public sector to be utterly immune from the realities of the age we are living in.

It is grossly unfair for public sector workers to cream off disproportionate pensions to those working in the private sector.

No idea why hardworking plumbers, bus drivers, checkout staff, administrators, call centre staff and the like should be crippled by taxes to keep the public sector in disproportionate pensions and cushy retirement ages.

Loving the hilarious that the sub-Wolfie Smith rantings of Scargill-wannabes like TheCholulaKid, who has the nerve to chuck the term "reactionary" at anyone he doesn't agree with. His attitudes come straight out of the stone age.

This isn't the glory days of sweetheart Arthur from 1984. This aint the miners strike and the public sympathy is nowhere to be seen. The government will crush this uprising into the dust.

Teachers, you want a bit more for your retirement? Start saving up. That's what the rest of us evil private sector people are doing.

By the way, just to confirm, I had no more to do with the banking crisis that the apparent saints of the health records department, so lord knows why I should pay to plump up their pensions while I'm trying to save for my own.

Oh dear.

Modest public pensions are both fair (we've paid for them with our salary AND our taxes) and civilised.

As a public sector worker, I would like to see government help to improve private pensions, not the government trying to make public sector pensions as poor as the private.

If there's any injustice and lack of fairness, it's the fact that the little people are having to pay for the greed and arrogance of bankers and their mates in government.

We are all ready to take some pain ... but not until the bankers pay up. As somebody above said....Cameron et al would be laughing themselves silly at their (apparently successful) attempt at divide and conquer. It's a crying shame that so many people fall for their misinformation in the misguided belief that some people are having it easier than others.

10 pages of whinging so far.

I don't remember a thread with private sector posters whinging when we took our share of the pain.

Also i'd imagine most of those complaining voted Labour and therefore voted for a useless party with a historical track record of ****ing up the economy.

Edited by dune

10 pages of whinging so far.

I don't remember a thread with private sector posters whinging when we took our share of the pain.

The potential to earn money in the Private Sector is so much greater than in the Public Sector. If you're a good enough worker, with a decent education, there are PLENTY of massive companies still employing, still making huge profits and still being very generous to their staff. For professional Public Sector workers such as teachers and nurses who want to stay in their career choice, they have no other option...

If you couldn't avoid the pain working in the Private Sector, that says more about the worker then anything else.

No, you just save it up for threads like this to whinge about the public sector standing up for itself. I hope for your sake you've got good health insurance. live in a low crime area that isn't prone to flooding, don't have any issues with services the local council delivers ( - oh wait, cemetary plots ), and ( for humanity's sake ) that you are unlikely to ever be a 'service user' for Children's Services.

Why can't you do something to get that last point ?

Be gentle with Tristan, he has complex needs.

I have never felt the need to organise a fight on the internet that I never intended being at. You are good at judging others, but the reality is that you have serious issues.

:lol:

Judge Fergus Mitchell described him as a "bedroom general" and added: "One cannot help but feel revulsion for your part in this conspiracy."

"There you were talking about the way you would fight and incite others to do the same when it is clear that you would not move from your computer."

The :lol: was more about you saying to someone else that they had "serious issues".

Well he does. I've pm'd him several times to say this personal crap is pathetic and we should just ingore each other, but he won't have it.

I've just got the email address for the GTC and I notice that Anne Madden is still there to do with the Commission for Equality and Human Rights. He keeps making totally unacceptable insinuations and one of these days i'll just think sod it and email her a link to his posts. The mods on this site seem to do bugger all about it.

The economy moves in cycles. We're going through some bad times now, but it won't last. We'll have the good times in the future. Do you believe that if we change the rules for pensions now to cope with the bad times that when the good times come the rules will be changed back? No, of course not. Once the changes are in the place, they'll be in place forever. People may well say that the private sector underwent change like this and didn't kick up a fuss - well more fool those people then. Just because one group of people don't mind having their working conditions changed, that doesn't mean everyone has to sit back and allow their retired lives be changed beyond recognition. There is clearly a lot of animostity from some people on this board towards public sector workers and in particular teachers. I'm not sure what the real reason for all of that is, but this is simply another stick to beat those people with.

I don't expect these strikes to be a one off. I expect more strikes and from more workers and unions. The second largest teaching union hasn't even balloted yet and when they do you can guarantee they'll be out on strike as well. Then there are all the other public sector unions. I think there's a bit of jealously from the private sector that their ability to group together to protect themselves has been removed and now they want everyone else to be in the same vulnerable position as they are. Just like the true "I'm alright Jack" attitude of the Tories, there's also a "I'm not alright Jack, and therefore neither should you be".

Post of the week for me.

Judge Fergus Mitchell described him as a "bedroom general" and added: "One cannot help but feel revulsion for your part in this conspiracy."

"There you were talking about the way you would fight and incite others to do the same when it is clear that you would not move from your computer."

Why do you need to keep mentioning this? Everyone knows what's happened, and he's served his time and managed to re-build his life very successfully.

He also happens to be one of the best posters on this site, as VFTP and under a previous username. IMO.

Why do you need to keep mentioning this? Everyone knows what's happened, and he's served his time and managed to re-build his life very successfully.

He also happens to be one of the best posters on this site, as VFTP and under a previous username. IMO.

Got a bit of a temper though hasnt he?

Post of the week for me.

Yep, I also think the Stain had it spot on. I'm not public sector but have worked in it in at the start of my career and just like the private sector there are some very good bright people working in and also some deadwood. Some people (in all sectors but particularly the private) should have been asking a hell of a lot more questions about what was happening to their investments - HBOS and HSBC lost almost 2bn to Bernie Madoff alone allegedly I'm told from contacts I have in the City. I've been saving for retirement - which is about 35 years away at present estimates - because free market capitalism failed in a Neo Conservative context in 2007-10 in the same way that Socialism terminally failed internationally in 1989/90 and I think the financial services industry is rotten to the core and I'm not alone, it's just our media that don't get the public skepticism. Free market capitalism is DEAD - we need to move to a more mutual and sustainable model of capitalism that our economy and planet can effectively support. Oligarchies - which Thatcher, Major, Blair and Brown were dazzled and ultimately corrupted by - need lancing. Some of these oligarchies turned out to be v.toxic and are now state "assets" - lucky us!

We all need to demand a better model of capitalism - together. Never should the likes of Fred the Shred ever have more power than so-called elected officials. The state - us - had to pick up the tab when free market economics failed and generations to come will pay for all of the corrupt hedge funds and investment banks. Parts of the public sector do need reform - I've seen that from the outside looking in - but they are not part of the real problem. Moreover, the severity of the cuts hit the privat sector and the pension pots even harder - look at the high street brands going pop in the last 2 weeks. If I still worked in the public sector, I wouldn't be forking out for new widgets from the High St or a newer car, I'd wait until the full impact of the cuts on an uncertain future was known - millions of people are now unfortunately in this position and it's killing the private sector as well and not helping the recovery.

All employees in all sectors, me included, should be asking for more from their employers - factor pension savings into your salary negotiations and if you have an existing contributory scheme, ask questions - who is really running it (Hants CC had investments with Madoff too), what levels of risk are you exposed to? Remember, AIG was supposed to be AAA rated and its investments as an insurer ended up almost sinking them in over 40bn of toxic debt where the core mission had been hopelessly lost by a corrupt CEO. Again, the shareholders did not ask nearly enough questions and ditto Madoff investors. The stock markets are glorified bookies, you can win and lose big, if 10% annual returns for 20 years + sound too good to be true then they probably are!

All employees in all sectors, me included, should be asking for more from their employers

And the answer will be no.

There are too many people without work who'll take your job if you don't like the terms.

I don't see this situation changing for a long time, especially for the working classes. Labour allowed unprecendented numbers in from Eastern Europe who will not only work for the minimum wage, but will also take agency work. This means that the poorest working people have very little chance of seeing anything but a real terms drop in living standards.

And the answer will be no.

There are too many people without work who'll take your job if you don't like the terms.

I don't see this situation changing for a long time .

]

I agree with this.

The private sector do not have the protection of unions. Employees must either accept the terms on the table or walk. Employers will have no problem plugging the gap.

In many jobs they can easily back fill people who leave. However a significant section of public sector jobs are like a closed shop needing a specific set of educational qualifications taking 5 years to obtain.

I believe these pension reforms will be adopted and huge numbers will resign to seal their pensions at the current deal.

This will be followed by problems recruiting in 5 yeas time and a need to steadily increase wages.