Why Did You Start Supporting Saints?

eesti matty

When I was 4 my dad and 2 elder brothers took me everywhere to watch Spurs from our Hythe home, I saw some great football back then but one evening at the age of 6 I said to my dad I wanted to support Saints as they are my local and that Spurs does not give me the buzz like you lot are getting.

How he laughed at me acting all grown up and that, he even bought me the new spurs shirt at the time.

Dad for the 2nd time I'm not interested.

The poor fella was upset as I could tell as I went to my first game in '72 vs Bristol City as my next doors took me.

Anyway 38 years later I still l love Saints to bits as the 3 of them continue to watch Spurs on the box everytime.

I would never turn the clock back and change my mind.

My Dad played for Saints before I was born and despite the family moving away and me growing up in and supporting Gillingham as a kid, once we moved back to Eastliegh in 1980 and my big brother (The Skate one, not the Man U supporting one) took me on the back of his CB250 to watch a Saints match from the Milton, I knew that I had 'come home'.

Still love The Gills of course, just like the girl I first kissed behind the garages in Sally Port Gardens; you gotta start somewhere but you don't buy the firdt pair of shoes you try on do you...

We bought various plants, went back to the car, Dad got in, but locked me out the car. Wound down the window and said "only Southampton fans

I haven't laughed so much in a long time when I read that. When my kids were at that impressionable age they used to ask me who my second favourite team was (in the hope of getting my approval to be a glory hunter) and I insisted it was Saints reserves. They never had a chance :-)

My Grandad (A Yorkshireman originally) lived in Shirley and my parents lived overseas we always came to stay in Southampton in the late summer just as the season was starting. I always remember peaking into the Archers road end of the Dell from the top of the the number 2A Bus as we headed into town. Went through the turnstiles for the first time when I was 12 in 1972 and have been infected ever since. Went to University in Southamptont to be near Saints and bought a house in Poole to be near Saints. My three sons are all Saints fans with the older two also graduating from Southampton Uni the eldest of whom is now a doctor at Southampton General Hospital.

Southampton born. Both sides of the family supported saints. Left Soton when I was 5 and left England for South Africa when i was 12(1963), used to spend every Saturday trying to tune into world service to hear results. My nan used to send me the Pink. Took nearly a week to get there. spent 2 years in Soton when I was 18. went to every home game. stood under west stand with my uncles and cousins and that really cemented my love for the club. They have always been part of my family and rewarded me with the Cup on my 24th birthday. would love to live back in Soton and have a season ticket! maybe when i retire.

As a small child in the early 80's, I was given a scrap book with the England World Cup 82 Team on the back. Kevin Keegan was a superstar and I knew he played for Southampton, so naturally assumed the rest of the players also all played for Southampton. I'm guessing it was at least 6 months before I learnt that the England team was not the same as the Saints, but by that stage my life long love for this club was already ingrained.

Thank god KK had not still been at Hamburg at the time eh?

Edited by Brussels Saint
Spelling

I guess its a truism that your football club chooses you not the other way around. My grandfather, a Saints supporter since before WW1, took me to a game in (I think), 1962. We won 6-2. I don't think I'd ever been so excited. That was it. 49 years of joy and (mostly), misery since. My father, who was with us that day, supported Stoke, for whom he'd played briefly. My eldest son supports Palace as he was born close to Selhurst Park and it was the second ground he ever went to (Stamford Bridgeand Chelsea left him cold). Football eh?

My Dad is a Saints fan so I am Saints fan. One of the best things about watching football with my Dad is seeing how happy he is when we score and win. We sat apart for the MK Dons epic last season but I went to see him (few rows down) after every goal we scored.

Mines kind of weird, my father is from Newcastle, my mam from Southampton, I did start supporting Newcastle when I was younger, but the 97/98 great escape just sucked me in more and more, and before I knew it I was a supporter, have loved every minute of it. I think we are lucky supporting a team like ourselves, we take greater pleasure in the small things, beating a good team, promotion, and we dont take it for granted

moved here when i was 13, saw my 1st game at the Dell a few days after we arrived & that was it for me. i did lose touch for awhile when i used to go clubbing every weekend & also when i met the gf but my love for the club is stronger than ever now. really looking forward to taking my son to more matches this year if i can afford it.

Growing up in Kent I supported Maidstone who at that time (early 80's) were in the Conference. My Dad isn't really into football but used to take me to Stones games while telling me how good Kevin Keegan was. Then Saints signed him and as an impressionable youngster at a school where supporting a top flight team appeared to be the norm I decided to follow Saints too despite the fact that my Mum's half of the family are all big Spurs fans.

My Dad, bless him, would then take me to Saints away games in London and my sister's best friends Dad who is a lifelong Saints fan but lived in Kent started letting me tag along with him too. Sadly Maidstone went bust. At the same time (1994) I was applying to University, chose to come to Southampton and have been here ever since. In fact the first thing I did when arriving in Southampton was to go to the Dell and buy a ticket for the next match.

Maidstone have reformed and are currently in the Ryman South. I still go to a few games a season when they don't clash with Saints matches although those times are few and far between.

Born in Soton; brought up in Bournemouth.

Got hooked on the cycle of despair and redemption that followed every dogfight in the early 90s; brother was a fellow saints fan; took pride in being one of the few amongst my friends who had a 'proper' reason to support their team; got a kick out of the banter and sometimes hostility that routinely followed supporting saints in bompey; loved the buzz of getting on a train and leaving town for games without the elders; and honoured to watch the likes of MLT regularly pulling off the impossible, knowing that his talents and loyalty could never be bought or sold.

Edited by shurlock

Well, I watch probably about 5/6 games of football on the TV every week and always choose a side to cheer on. But when I was watching the Saints v Millwall game on the first day of the 2009/10 season, it was weird, almost like I cared about Saints winning that game as much as I would my local team Falkirk. That season, I looked out for all the results and Southampton became my "English team." Last season, my interest in the team grew, and I attended my first ever Saints game in November, and I started loving the club more than I do the team I have followed for 7 years. And in August, I'm visiting St. Mary's for the first time for the opening game against Leeds and hopefully I'll make about 7-10 games this term :)

Born in Weymouth, my Dad was an Arsenal supporter so that was NEVER gonna happen, I had to support someone different. Chose Liverpool when I was about 7 or 8 but the week before the 76 Cup Final we all went to Saints V Hull at The Dell, (my uncle was a regular since 1966) and The Saints won 1-0 with Bobby Stikes scoring - a dress rehersal for the following week as it turned out !!

Anyway, I was hooked from then on really, although it was a couple of years later I started going regularly.

As for Dad, well I converted him, we became Season Ticket Holders in about 1979 and I have been ever since. The old man dipped out for a few years but has been a Season Ticket holder in The Kingsland with me for the past 5 or 6 years. The Saints are now his team as well.......so **** you Arsene Wenger !!!!!!

Born a stones throw from St Mary's in Northam and was the fourth generation (at least) Saints fan. First game aged 5 in the early 70's vs Glasgow Rangers in the Texaco Cup (can still remember the giant Texaco football in the middle of the pitch and the mass of ****ed up Jocks in The Archers!!!).

Born in Southampton but started supporing Everton as a kid. Parents never forced a team upon me. My dad took me to a Saints v Everton match that ended 1-1. From then on I became a Saint.

My dad became a steward in the lower west at The Dell and got me in for free for about 9 years. After the move to SMS, I had to purchase a ST. Even now living in Plymouth I still have a ST and come back every other friday afternoon so I can make a day of it come saturday.

The biggest football influence in my life came from my mum's side of the family. Her dad is a Liverpool fan and took me to my first footie training sessions and her brothers support Everton and Southampton. There's not a massive age gap between me and my Saints-supporting uncle and he infected me with the football bug the most by taking me to my first match (an away friendly at Leyton Orient!) and buying me a replica shirt for Xmas (1995-96 season that was).

It spiralled from there into a full-blown addiction really! Later when it came to choosing a uni I didn't want to go too far (have always lived in Hampshire and love it down here) and Southampton did the course I was after so it all made sense to move there :)

Happy to help Ant!! I began supporting Saints when, at the age of 8, I won a colouring competition which was run by the football team I was playing for (Alton United). My manager was a Saints fan and the prize was for him to take the winner to a Saints game. Supported them ever since and although I live in Cornwall now, I try and get up to St Mary's as often as I can.

Local club, John Mortimors Wife (Mary) was my Infant/Junior school PE teacher and we used to go on trips to the dell all the time....first ever shirt was the blue Rank Xerox away one... oh and the Wallace brothers used to live on my estate... weused to kick our footballs over their back wall so they'd come out and play (Football) with us...

Mine's a simple story, I supported our local Southern league team in the 60's ( Blue Square as it's known now - wish the team wasn't known by another name now tho'). Listened to the West Ham cup quarter or semi -final v. Manure on the radio one Saturday afternoon and started following them (before the World cup trio got themselves really famous). But for some unknown reason I started looking for the Southampton result each week as well. I lost interest in the game in the 70's, stopped playing and settled into life of.. well doing family stuff, had kids and eventually moved to the New Forest. When my boy got to around 12/13 he started going to Saints games with his mates, home and away. Me and his Mum split up and I started to do more 'Dad' things with him, like taking him to watch Saints v. West Ham one Monday night in something new called the Premier League. I went in to the ground 60/40 pro W.Ham and came out 100% pro Saints and have never looked back.... although I have to admit to being one of those that boycotted the season of Lowes' return. I did go to the Burnley game to see what may have been our last ever home game of the Championship, so Marcus I thank you and in Nicola I trust.

My father always insisted that I was conceived due to a FA Cup 3rd round game after which he'd got home late and 1/2 cut, forgetting he was supposed to take his wife out to the flicks, and had to "make it up to her".

Therefore I had no choice.

The game in question was a 3rd home defeat against Hull, Jan' 1966.

Watched MLT goals in the early 90s (92 I think) on Danish television and started playing as Saints in CM'93. Followed the team over the internet until I got to my first game at the Dell in March 2000 (2-0 win over Aston Villa). Consecutive relegations haven't driven me away so I guess I'm in this long distance relationship for life...

I was born & brought up in Lymington, no one in my family had really been in to football that much. I just loved it from an early age but with no real allegiance until my sister went to Southampton University. She was billeted in Over Dell Court, I was 10 yrs old when we went to visit her she was on the 4th floor I went to her window saw the Dell & I was hooked from that moment on. I pestered the old man until he took me to see the Saints & then ended up involving my entire family. Mum & Dad had season tickets in the East Stand & I cut my teeth in the Milton then moved to Under Weststand. Brothers & Sisters followed. My son although brought up in the Stockport / Manchester area & is a Saint at heart. I have a lot of heart ache to be responsible for.

P.S My mum was born & brought up in POOpey but as I keep telling her she was rehabilitated & is a true Saint LOL.

Growing up in Winch, I had no interest in football till I was bout 7/8, despite coming from a long line of SFC fans. At our school in Weeke, Winch, there were Liverpool fans in the years above & below, and a few Saints fans. But our year were all Saints fans, so I started following them as we were top of the league, and had Kevin Keegan & Steve Moran playing for us. So I am a bit of a glory hunter. 30 years later, two relegations, one proper cup final defeat, one silly cup final defeat & victory, one promotion & over 60 league grounds, I am still waiting for that glory. But of the people in that Primary School that I still know of, it is only the Saints fans that ever go & watch football.

My father always insisted that I was conceived due to a FA Cup 3rd round game after which he'd got home late and 1/2 cut, forgetting he was supposed to take his wife out to the flicks, and had to "make it up to her".

Therefore I had no choice.

The game in question was a 3rd home defeat against Hull, Jan' 1966.

It was an AWAY match. No wonder he was late home. :lol:

Born in Reading, Berkshire. Raised in Wokingham, Berkshire.

Asked my dad when I was aged about 8 - in 1980 - who our nearest 1st division club was. I wanted to support a 1st division club that wasn't Liverpool (who were dominant in those days).

He said "close thing...either Chelsea or Southampton, son".

I said I didn't want to support a London club, so backed Saints.

Have fallen more and more in love with the club and the city ever since.

Have never lived in Hampshire. Have no connection with the city other than football.

Live and work in London.

Bought my flat (c. 50 yards from Clapham Junction station) partly because it made it easier and faster to get to Southampton.

I wasn't born in Southampton. But I got there as fast as I could.

I dedicate the reason I started supporting Saints to my Mum, although I don't recall much from the actual day of our 1976 Cup final win other than a Black and white TV, my Mum doing the ironing and then cheering and encouraging me, it was her who really got me supporting them.

It was also my Mum who took me to see them showing off the FA Cup on Thornhill Park Road as they passed by when I was the tender age of six, as I grew up she took friends and I to the Dell and back during our teens, and was also there to pick us up from coach and train stations after away games for many years on end later too.

When she fell ill this year I missed every game of my ST from January to help look after her which she knew about, she died in the early hours on the day of our Promotion clinching home game on 7th May. It was a hard day and an emotional rollercoaster to be at St.Marys several hours later, but knowing it's what my Mum obviously wanted for me, I'm so glad I was able to be there after she'd nurtured and grew my support for them at a pivotal time when I was so young and the next so many years later.

Born Plymouth, lived in Cornwall till 11 years old then moved to Winchester. Went to Nottarf Krap for a season, compliments of our local butcher's lift. Started at St Mary's College and "saw the light" in 1962. The conversion was complete, the transfusion worked.

thanks. maybe. but then bender says he is from Brighton and I live in Hove. Much more upmarket so maybe he would feel threatened by my middle-classishness ;)

Actually I live in Patcham which is pretty middle-classish. Yeah im fed up with the Albion fans harping on about their new ground. Its got one big stand but the other 3 just remind me of Orient's or Colchester's grounds. Theyre far too cocky considering where they were before Bloom came along.

Get to a few games a season - about 6 or 7 last season and 2 away games (strangely Orient & Colchester)

It was an AWAY match. No wonder he was late home. :lol:

Just phoned my mum to ask her if it was true and apparently it is.

My dad had been home on leave for about a week and he told mum that he was going to watch Saints with his brother and he was out really early, which wasn't a surprise as he was an early riser.

Dad had told her that he'd take her out when he got back and mum made the assumption that Saints were at home. They weren't. My dad and my brother, along with friends, had caught the train to Hull and caught the milk train back from Waterloo at silly o'clock on the Sunday morning.

The "making up" resulted in me.

Edited by View From The Top

My dad, being a saints, fan took me from an early age.

Started going in 1975 and was hooked from then.

Was always difficult and took a lot of stick throughout my schooling because of the fact i lived in Gosport and everyone else supported Pompey.

Used to be fantastic as we travelled up and down the country.

My Dad started up a taxi company here in Gosport with his friend and both my dad and i with his friend and his son would use the minibuses to go to away games.

I remember as a kid the journeys seemed never ending,Preston,Leeds Sheffield to name just a few.We always stppoed for fish and chips on the way back.

Sometimes when a minibus was unavailable we used to have to do the trip an Ford Princess or Ambassador,nightmare falling asleep in those.

If we were lucky we could use the plush and spacious Granada!

Many times i was picked up at lunchtime from school for a dentist appointment,never to return later in the day as i was heading for an adventure to see the Saints.

Brilliant times,hope i will pass on these great memorys and times to my little boy...obviously not jepoardizing his schooling of course.

My dad regularly went to the Dell when he could. I worshipped my Dad and, when I was about 7, I asked him if I could go with him (not to watch football but just to be with my dad). He built a box for me to stand on in the Milton Road end.

I won't say I was hooked immediately (girls didn't really get taught much about football in those days) but I loved spending the afternoon with him and without my pesky little brother.

But I did become hooked when I was about 10 and I've never, ever been tempted to support anyone else, even though I lived all over the place. My daughters aren't really interested in any football team but my son and his son are Saints supporters through and through. Sadly, my 2 year old grandson is an Everton supporter, although he doesn't realise it yet :(

My dad regularly went to the Dell when he could. I worshipped my Dad and, when I was about 7, I asked him if I could go with him (not to watch football but just to be with my dad). He built a box for me to stand on in the Milton Road end.

I won't say I was hooked immediately (girls didn't really get taught much about football in those days) but I loved spending the afternoon with him and without my pesky little brother.

But I did become hooked when I was about 10 and I've never, ever been tempted to support anyone else, even though I lived all over the place. My daughters aren't really interested in any football team but my son and his son are Saints supporters through and through. Sadly, my 2 year old grandson is an Everton supporter, although he doesn't realise it yet :(

My dad did this also and painted it red and white stripes,came in very handy being a shortarse when in the family centre.

When I was about 10, I played my first football management game on a C64, I picked saints to manage as it was the coolest name. I've followed saints since then. All I remember of the game is that it was text based with black background and had green text.