Home Kit Revealed!

Genk

Do you like New Home Kit  

855 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like New Home Kit

• Love It
    • Hate It
    • It's 'ok'

Rod Jackson, CEO said “We are really delighted at the launch of the new Saints home kit after weeks of speculation. I believe the aap3 logo compliments the kit exceptionally well and we feel very proud to have our name associated with everyone at Southampton Football Club. We hope it brings both the club and us much success”.

http://www.aap3.com/2011/07/20/southampton-fc-home-kit-reveal/

Agree completely. Having a white portion of shirt and a not-quite-white sticker over the top of it just looks utterly cheapskate. Why can't the sponsor just be integrated into the kit design? It's not as if there's a need to print a load of sponsor-free shirts, surely?

I suppose I see it a different way. The sponsor can never be truly integrated into the kit design, it is a foreign entity. If we played in colours that were plain it wouldn't be too tricky, but on stripes it can only distrupt them. The Air Florida shirt worked better because of it, but on our classic stripes. No chance.

The closest we got to integrating a design was on the 06-08 Flybe shirt, and that was a dog. The follow on shirt with the plain white plastic screen print was in my opinion a better shirt, but still ugly. This design, like the old Friends Provident shirts at least tries to bring minimal distruption to the stripes while also standing out. Sady though it is not the bolder 'foam' type print from those few years ago, it is the flat plastic type that does feel cheaper...... and that I feel is the main problem with it... even if it's the best of the bunch.

At the end of the day, it's just a shirt. It is a pretty nice design and whilst the logo isn't perfect, it's the best striped shirt we've had for 4 years in my opinion. Nothing to get 'worked up' about, but then should we be getting worked up about a football shirt anyway?

See, I think that is attrocious.

The problem is, when there is a compromise in the shirt to accomodate a sponsor it will never look absolutely right. The question will be, which compromise do people find most acceptable? And as that is subjective there will never be a total consensus.

Edited by Colinjb

In what sense? Not talking about the shirt, just having a break in the stripes built into the shirt. It makes the sponsor stand out more too.

I cannot stand the absolute break in the striped pattern. That it is built into the shirt fabric means little to me, I just find it ugly.

Just like I hated it in this design:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyxBLk4rUety2Ef1PT4DZCzxs2DmBKGlcGR7hCPOlFKnvjihuQxg

If we are to have a sponsor, I would prefer it to not interupt the stripes, just be placed above them. Just like this older friends provident design.

shm03hl_l.jpg

As such, I do like the new shirt design.

Edited by Colinjb

It's okay, but don't think I'll buy it.

Mrs Minsk doesn't like it very much.

My almost 7 year old daughter thinks it's great.

Hope the Northam remember to sing: we are the boys in the white, and red stripes!

I really like the new shirt, the white looks great on the short sleeve shirt but not so sure on the long sleeve version.

Happy to see we've returned to the stripes as much as I'd liked the sash for last seasons 125 year celebration. I don't know why, but I did wonder for a while if we were going to see something completely different that broke from all of our previous tradition. Thought the new kit seemed to be more shrouded in secrecy and longer for release this year, but that may just be me... I hate the wait between football seasons, seems they are getting longer as I get older but the years pass by quicker. :cry:

bad collar, bad socks, does not look like a saints kits for some reason, maybe the white sleeves, but i liked some of the mock-ups with white sleeves so will wait till i see it in the flesh, also would have liked to revert to navy blue shorts (much darker than ath madrid) which would make it different from any other kit out there.

for the away kit i would like to keep the sash, pref navy blue shirt w/yellow sash, yellow shorts, navy blue socks with yellow tops

Agree on collar.

Away kit - like your suggestion, or black and yellow

Average, and will wait till I see it on Saturday to form my view but initial observations:

- collar looks crap

- white sleeves, different but not inspiring, especially on the long sleeve version

- socks, its as well that these are not also just white, and the red does not look bad,but a little too Sunderland

-shorts, no problem with these,but like others suggestion of perhaps a navy blue .

I cannot stand the absolute break in the striped pattern. That it is built into the shirt fabric means little to me, I just find it ugly.

Just like I hated it in this design:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyxBLk4rUety2Ef1PT4DZCzxs2DmBKGlcGR7hCPOlFKnvjihuQxg

If we are to have a sponsor, I would prefer it to not interupt the stripes, just be placed above them. Just like this older friends provident design.

shm03hl_l.jpg

As such, I do like the new shirt design.

This second shirt is one of my favourites. Its first outing was happy memories - last home game before the cup final. It's last outing was somewhat different.

It's nice and it's stripey but I can't say much more about it. I'm underwhelmed and was expecting something a little more different given the hype.

What counts as "different" in your eyes for a red and white Saints shirt? What exactly did you expect? There is only so much you can do.

Is it not different in that it has white sleeves and a white shoulder panel on the back, which have never been seen on a Saints kit before?

It's nice and it's stripey but I can't say much more about it. I'm underwhelmed and was expecting something a little more different given the hype.

TBH it's alot different than our usual shirts, quite refreshing actually. As said by MLG...there's only so much you can do with red and white stripes!!

What counts as "different" in your eyes for a red and white Saints shirt? What exactly did you expect? There is only so much you can do.

Is it not different in that it has white sleeves and a white shoulder panel on the back, which have never been seen on a Saints kit before?

Agreed there are point of differences but every new kit will have point of differences. All I am saying is that given the hype I was expecting something more radical for example the Air Florida kit is very different, the centenary kit was very different as was the sash and the hummell but this new kit is just a plain mid sized red and white stipes with the only point of difference being the white sleaves. Infact the design isn't too dissimilar to the 2003/2005 kit except for the collar and instead of red sleeves we have white.

I think all Umbro kits are 'Tailored By' now aren't they? Assumed it was Nike trying to make them seem a bit less crap.

They're all Tailored By now, and have been since the 2010/11 kits started coming out in early 2010, which predated the Nike takeover. But this is the first season when there haven't been some pre-Tailored By shirt designs around with that logo just slapped on them.

The other thread not only has a list, but pictures of all Umbro teams. We were last to reveal for 2011/12, apart from Wales and Northern Ireland.

Mine just arrived. Actually like it even more now I've seen it. Its a really nice fit, excellent non-static material (had this problem all the time with last seasons), bottom left corner has the "tailored by umbro" thingy embroided on. Only criticism is the aap3 sponsor is indeed stuck on, but where its quite small and not in a box it blends well. I wasn't so sure about the white across the shoulders but now I can see it up close, really like it. The red trim on the white sleeves is nice too. Well happy with it.

No one is making you, £45 is a decent sum of money, especially for a football shirt.

Im not saying anyone is making me. All I'm saying is I'm peraonally not choosing to buy a shirt that I only think is OK if its for 1 year. I would however spend the money if I was buying something that was the latest shirt for 2 years. I would only buy a 1-year shirt if I really liked it (like the sash).

Indeed I'll be wearing the sash to games next season

FFS...

Options:

1. Like, can afford - BUY

2. Like, can't afford - DONT BUY, thats life sadly

3. Dont like, Can afford - BUY for someone else

4. Dont like, cant afford - NO FECKIN' PROBLEM IS THERE

and 5. like -overpriced -got better things to spend money on lol