Ammar Jemal

Super Carlton

Actually today the wife told me her work colleague's mate had been told by someone working in the club shop he couldn't have 10 put on his Guly shirt this morning (must have been the Megastore as they don't print at West Quay), and he'd have to come back on Monday when his new number was known. Adding to the conspiracy was that Guly and Chaplow were both off the numbered player list on the OS, but that happened yesterday and seems to be just an admin thing - though I'm sure the Chaplow article on the OS used the term "the new number 18" at 6:30am today and doesn't seem to now...

She also pointed out that Nicky Maynard was number 10 at Bristol City. And then told me that her work colleague wasn't even convinced that his mate was a reliable source. Which is why it hasn't had its own thread. But I think it's probably b011ocks and I don't want to get a reputation for this kind of thing.

But you did ask.

christ that is pretty tenuous!

And 'ammer wears number 5 at YB

350x.jpg

I know, but no-one's got that number, so it's not likely to prompt people to claim that an existing player's number wasn't being printed due to him taking it. Though if I was Seaborne I'd be tetchy about 25 too...

Actually today the wife [4th hand] told me her work colleague's [3rd hand] mate [2nd hand] had been told by someone working in the club shop [1st hand] he couldn't have 10 put on his Guly shirt this morning (must have been the Megastore as they don't print at West Quay), and he'd have to come back on Monday when his new number was known. Adding to the conspiracy was that Guly and Chaplow were both off the numbered player list on the OS, but that happened yesterday and seems to be just an admin thing - though I'm sure the Chaplow article on the OS used the term "the new number 18" at 6:30am today and doesn't seem to now...

She also pointed out that Nicky Maynard was number 10 at Bristol City. And then told me that her work colleague wasn't even convinced that his mate was a reliable source. Which is why it hasn't had its own thread. But I think it's probably b011ocks and I don't want to get a reputation for this kind of thing [i think it might be too late for this].

But you did ask.

Actually today the wife told me her work colleague's mate had been told by someone working in the club shop he couldn't have 10 put on his Guly shirt this morning (must have been the Megastore as they don't print at West Quay), and he'd have to come back on Monday when his new number was known. Adding to the conspiracy was that Guly and Chaplow were both off the numbered player list on the OS, but that happened yesterday and seems to be just an admin thing - though I'm sure the Chaplow article on the OS used the term "the new number 18" at 6:30am today and doesn't seem to now...

She also pointed out that Nicky Maynard was number 10 at Bristol City. And then told me that her work colleague wasn't even convinced that his mate was a reliable source. Which is why it hasn't had its own thread. But I think it's probably b011ocks and I don't want to get a reputation for this kind of thing.

But you did ask.

Pretty conclusive to me, start a thread!

Just done this and they told me they had run out of zero's make of that what you will!

Lallana being 20 might have something to do with that, assuming it's true.

I like that someone has tried to illustrate how tenuous the piece of information I posted was, like I didn't know it was 4th hand - I explicitly catalogued the origins of it, FFS! It is interesting that as I'm clear and unequivocal about my sources I get the p155 ripped for it, even though I said "It's probably b011locks" in the bloody post.

What more am I expected to do, exactly ? The alternative is just not posting it at all, and then this place would be really rather dull.

I've always thought Fonte would be a good midfielder, but then I guess we have Schneiderlin / Cork for the type of midfield role I could see Jose doing well in.

I see your thoughtful remark attracted the usual thoughtless comment. Fonte is a good footballer, drives forward, scores goals, is a talented defender, of course he could play midfield.

I see your thoughtful remark attracted the usual thoughtless comment. Fonte is a good footballer, drives forward, scores goals, is a talented defender, of course he could play midfield.

But if he's a talented defender why not leave him in defence, where he's talented?

Now phone asking for Lallana.

Use a different voice. My suggestion is South African.

Just thought, you could also become a James Ward-Prowse fan, though I'm guessing they'll tell you they've run out of letters first.

Because he may be more talented in Midfield, use Kevin **** Phillips as an example, started off as a defender, finished off as a striker!!

That's not actually true, he was always a striker, Merrington asked him to play right-back in a trial for Saints (and in goal). http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/3128127.stm

Mind you, there's a massive hole in the story, suggesting that he pitched up on trial in 1994 when Chris Nicholl was manager, so something's wrong.

Actually today the wife told me her work colleague's mate had been told by someone working in the club shop he couldn't have 10 put on his Guly shirt this morning (must have been the Megastore as they don't print at West Quay), and he'd have to come back on Monday when his new number was known.

I might be falling for a "whoooooosh" trap here but even if Guly's number ends up not being '10' there is nothing stopping me asking for a shirt with the name "GULY" and number "10" on it, surely?

Unless the shop assistant said "Are you sure you want 'GULY 10'? You're more than welcome to have it but I've been asked to advise punters it his squad number is subject to change"

Because he may be more talented in Midfield, use Kevin **** Phillips as an example, started off as a defender, finished off as a striker!!

Even though he moved further up the pitch when 19, not 27.

We already have more good central midfielders than good centre backs, we aren't Liverpool

I might be falling for a "whoooooosh" trap here but even if Guly's number ends up not being '10' there is nothing stopping me asking for a shirt with the name "GULY" and number "10" on it, surely?

Unless the shop assistant said "Are you sure you want 'GULY 10'? You're more than welcome to have it but I've been asked to advise punters it his squad number is subject to change"

No, legitimate posting, this is not a wind up even if it is my second really tenuous rumour of the week having not posted anything like it before. What I was actually told was that he went away with only the name on the shirt and was told to come back when they knew Guly's number (I think it was Monday that was suggested). Anyway, this is already bigger than the utter load of cobblers it sounds like, so I shan't be taking any further questions.

oops...posted this on the puncheon thread by mistake......

yay i got a reply to my phishing FB message to our possible new CB.....from Ammar Jemal two minutes ago....."Thank youuu its a pleasure for me..".

Insightful....I said "bienvenue a Southampton Ammar ...le premier equipe del sud de angleterre avec les fans plus fidele, loyal et bruyant des toutes....crap french i know but you get the point....if its genuinely Ammar it would be pointless replying unless he means it...if its a pleasure for him its not "im not coming" is it....

I take it as a positive pointer that unless some horrid wind up merchant has hijacked his FB site that we might have a new CB on the bus soon.

No, legitimate posting, this is not a wind up even if it is my second really tenuous rumour of the week having not posted anything like it before. What I was actually told was that he went away with only the name on the shirt and was told to come back when they knew Guly's number (I think it was Monday that was suggested). Anyway, this is already bigger than the utter load of cobblers it sounds like, so I shan't be taking any further questions.

Why aren't you taking any further questions?

But if he's a talented defender why not leave him in defence, where he's talented?

Did either of the quotes suggest he should play there? the suggestion was that he could play there. Would I want Schneiderlin or Cork at centreback, no thanks, but if we had two good centre backs say Gorkss and Jemal would I want Fonte in midfield, of course I would want to see what he would do there.

Did either of the quotes suggest he should play there? the suggestion was that he could play there. Would I want Schneiderlin or Cork at centreback, no thanks, but if we had two good centre backs say Gorkss and Jemal would I want Fonte in midfield, of course I would want to see what he would do there.

Perhaps. But then that is the sort of thing Burley would've thought too. And we was allegedly an alcoholic.

Will the players be wearing their squad numbers vs West Brom tonight? If Guly is wearing 10 then there's probably not a lot in the numbering issue; if it's 10 with "unless Nicky Maynard signs" in brackets afterwards' date=' we've got another scenario on our hands![/quote']

They did against Werder and Bilbao on Saturday, Guly wore 10 then - we shall see.

I think all squad numbers should now come with explanations, I'm still waiting for Nicklas Bendtner to explain why 52 is so special to him.

Perhaps. But then that is the sort of thing Burley would've thought too. And we was allegedly an alcoholic.

What has Burley's stupidity got to do with anything? Fonte could play midfield in my opinion, do we need him there? not at present. We would have to sign 2 centrebacks first or have an injury crisis in midfield and all the centrebacks fit. Adapting and improvisation is sometimes essential given less than ideal circumstances. Football is full of players that were ordinary in an original position and became much more effective after enforced change. Suggesting alternative roles for players is an interesing topic and should be discussed as such rather than dismissal without thought.

Seems likely that we will sign Jemal, would be a great signing on the face of it. Sounds exactly what we need. Hopefully can get him in well before the Leeds game.

Yeah, sounds like this is all done - bar the work permit. Everyone seems to want to announce it...but they know they can't until it's 100%. Similar to Jaidi...I think they gave up in the end and just got him training with the team, it took until September to get that one confirmed IIRC.

What has Burley's stupidity got to do with anything? Fonte could play midfield in my opinion, do we need him there? not at present. We would have to sign 2 centrebacks first or have an injury crisis in midfield and all the centrebacks fit. Adapting and improvisation is sometimes essential given less than ideal circumstances. Football is full of players that were ordinary in an original position and became much more effective after enforced change. Suggesting alternative roles for players is an interesing topic and should be discussed as such rather than dismissal without thought.

Then tell me why Barnard couldn't play at right back??

Burley's stupidity was in part down to playing people out of position.

Yeah, sounds like this is all done - bar the work permit. Everyone seems to want to announce it...but they know they can't until it's 100%. Similar to Jaidi...I think they gave up in the end and just got him training with the team, it took until September to get that one confirmed IIRC.

Yeah these things always take much longer than they really should.

Sorry guys got to tell you...i went drinking in Fulham on friday night as i live up in the smoke. Went to a bar called Marimoto...got there pretty cut and ran into none other than George Burley...obviously had a massive drunken chat with him...didnt used to like him as i felt he blew £7mill on carp players...derided him for getting rid of Fuller and get BWP...he said Fuller had a bad knee...looks pretty good to me...also he said Rudi never adjusted to the English game...too quick for him...he tried to claim some appreciation over Bale although said he was always going to be a top player...blah...he got on well with Lowe although he knew the fans hated him

Apparantly he lived in London the whole time he was Saints boss...he is such a booze hound...he was there on his own

anyway ended doing shots with him at the bar for a good hour until i decided to leave to chase the fluff elswhere...

Annoyingly got a soft spot for old George now...not because he was any good...he was ordinary at best but nice guy

They did against Werder and Bilbao on Saturday, Guly wore 10 then - we shall see.

I think all squad numbers should now come with explanations, I'm still waiting for Nicklas Bendtner to explain why 52 is so special to him.

It's the number of chances he needs to score each goal.

Maybe if we sighn Jamal, we could have arabic numbers on our shirts, Would confuse referees no end

So mr referee what did you say you saw

well player with the squiggle on the back of his shirt tripped the opposition forward. Can you postively identfy

the player with the squiggle. Ref no all the saints players were wearing squiggles on their shirts

Case dismissed

The Bart man should play 'in the hole.' I did my coaching badges with wigley and led bitterne boys u14's to a glorious fifth placed finish in the tyros.

Don't even think about questioning my opinion which I have kindly presented to you as fact, lest you wake up with a knife in your eye.

Once I have taken some time to think about this proposition I will respond accordingly. I want my dismissal to be with thought.

Jemal's been called up to the Tunisia squad to play Mali in a friendly on 10th August, so he'd probably feature against Leeds but not Torquay, or potentially Barnsley?

I'm not sure how it works for releasing players to play in friendly games, whether we have to or not?

Jemal's been called up to the Tunisia squad to play Mali in a friendly on 10th August, so he'd probably feature against Leeds but not Torquay, or potentially Barnsley?

I'm not sure how it works for releasing players to play in friendly games, whether we have to or not?

TBH I'd be very surprised if he's even confirmed by then, work permits take weeks (if that's what the hold up is)

TBH I'd be very surprised if he's even confirmed by then, work permits take weeks (if that's what the hold up is)

No it doesnt. Usually with in a few days as long all parties submit forms. If it goes to appeal then that can take a while. He is an established international so shouldnt be too much of an issue. If you remember back to Jaidi that was done pretty quick. Guly's was held up due to Italian FA taking their time.